Unicorn Overlord General Discussion

This game is the talk of the town in the FE community. And surprisingly for the hole that the greater FE community is, everyone seems to have a positive opinion on the upcoming game. I’m surprised nobody has made a thread about it yet. While it’s not Fire Emblem, it is quite inspiring with some of its design choices. The free demo is definitely worth a try. I myself was initially skeptical of yet another SRPG in this 2020s boom, but will probably buy it eventually. Despite being an RTS, it feels more like FE than something like Triangle Strategy.

And its marketing epithet “The Rebirth of Tactical Fantasy RPGs” is such a cheeky way to throw shade. Sega does what Nintendon’t.

7 Likes

From what I saw of the demo, it’s a really cool game indeed !
The story even though quite classical (from what we saw) do the job very well, the always amazing aesthetic of Vanillaware works perfect, and more importantly I really like this kinds of modern reinterpretation of Ogre Battle gameplay !

In general, it’s very cool in recent years to a see a return of tactical RPGs alongside Fire Emblem: be it Triangle Strategy, the remake of Tactics Ogre, Front Mission 1st remake, or the Persona 5 spinoff, and now Unicorn Overlord (and it’s without talking about indie games) !

3 Likes

I haven’t played the game but from what I’ve seen it looks really pretty.

1 Like

It’s pretty ugly. There’s some weirdly revealing outfits there as well.

1 Like

The thing l heard about it from a non-FE place was that its translation is way over the top compared to the Japanese script. Seems kinda weird to do that in this age, but l don’t know the whole story.

The story feels pretty average so far (but to be fair, I’m only a couple hours in and it may get better as the game progresses). But dang I love the gameplay a lot. It feels very solid, no complaints here!

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, the translations themselves are accurate, but are adding some flavor to the prose because the characters would otherwise just be speaking “modern” Japanese. The translators seem to be going “hey, this is a medieval fantasy story, maybe all the characters shouldn’t talk like it takes place in the 2000s.” I haven’t seen enough of the Japanese dialogue to know how many characters don’t speak with a more modern way of speaking.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, l got my information from a Twitter post with a rather angry tone, so I wouldn’t be surprised if these are all the worst cherrypicked issues or something like that. Seems like some drastic changes in there, but that isn’t inherently a bad thing.

1 Like

That is one profoundly stupid and idiotic twitter user. Disregard them entirely.

6 Likes

Seems like a whole lot of nitpicking is going on there. Personally, I would take it with a grain of salt, especially considering where it’s coming from in the first place.

3 Likes

Translation stuff aside, I really liked this game from what I played in the demo.

While the story feels kinda bland, at least at the start (A young prince trying to recover his kingdom from the big bad guy), the gameplay is awesome, managing units, formations and map tactics, seeying which combinations work better, it was really engaging for me. It also looks like there will be a really big amount of classes, and probably there will be promotions, so the possibilities of experimentation will be quite a thing.

I must also add that the characters themself are quite generics with some exceptions, but there is some waifu material, which I always aprettiate (Lmao).

To wrap it up, if I play this game it will be becouse of its great gameplay loop and gorgeus visuals, and who knows maybe the full story will be more interesting as it looks right now.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/zakogdo/status/1761627253644169304 was the only one I could translate myself (I’d need a dictionary for other kanji I can’t read…) that I felt was an actual bad translation. Most of this stuff is ultimately pretty minor prose changes, as has been typically pointed out. This is more people looking for reasons to be mad. Nothing on the level of Fates or Engage’s translations, and certainly nothing as bad as “Your father was a brilliant scientist.”

2 Likes

it is not a translation, it is a localization. they are different, because the japanese language and culture has a lot of grammar, writing, and speaking conventions that the english language doesn’t have. If they went with a 1-to-1 translation, there would be a lot of nuance and tone lost in the process. This is why the script seems so different, because English localizers have to approximate the meaning, context, and intention of each line in japanese, and communicate that in a way that english speakers and readers can understand in the context of our language and culture.

and this is not a bad thing. especially if it makes the script interesting to read and keeps the original intent, meaning, and context.

7 Likes

I feel at least partly qualified, as translator of FE12, to say that Japanese scripts are almost always bland and boring and most English translations that take some liberties are a huge improvement over the original.

I should add something to the UO discussion, though: the story seemed a little paint-by-numbers and I didn’t find any aspect of the demo particularly intriguing. However, the gameplay and aesthetic seemed to carry the experience pretty well so I will probably buy the game. It helps that it runs and looks great on the Switch, although I wish Vanillaware would release their games on PC

4 Likes

Sorry, I’m aware of the difference between the two concepts. I just tend to use the words interchangeably. On the topic of when to localize more liberally, I go back and forth on my stance all the time. I definitely couldn’t be a localizer myself with my indecisiveness! I can go on about how accuracy is better, but then I remember how much l love the changes to FFVI’s Kefka or the improved enemy names in EarthBound.

Thank you all for the input, too. I was curious about getting more opinions on this, but I didn’t think of anyone to bring it up with.

1 Like

Pure accuracy in phrasing often means inaccuracy in intent, anyway. Taking risks and liberties is necessary to carry across genuine meaning.

I do feel a risk or liberty should have been taken to ensure the game wasn’t called Unicorn Overlord, for one. I’m looking forward to it, but trying not to look too deep into it yet; if I continue to hear good things about it, I’ll just pick it up. And honestly, if it takes a lot of cues from Ogre Battle, so much the better; Symphony of War gave it a very decent shot, pity about The Author’s Barely Disguised Fetish / very low-quality writing in general, the expansion that exploded the campaign’s intended curve, and the catastrophic decision made in a late patch to give mounted enemies Canto and thus make juggernauting not only possible but very desirable to counteract it.

3 Likes

It’s definitely a pretty game, but sucks at being a strategy or tactics game.

The way we have to set the AI priorities to use moves and target enemies is just a waste of time and I’m convinced, 90% of the time, it doesn’t work and the changes we see are the product of RNG. Basically, FEGBA tile dancing.

I think I won’t be buying it anytime soon.

Game is good, I am enjoying having my army absolutely murder everything that dares cross my path

3 Likes

Same, I am currently finishing the desert region (drakenhold I think was its name?), and while the game was turning quite easy on the beggining (Im playing on hard) the latest chapters have been quite challenging.

Promotions are super cool I must add.

I no-lifed this game for a week. Here are my thoughts.

Teambuilding

This shit is addictive and easily the best part of the game. Most of my gameplay time was spent in menus just selecting equipment for my guys and deciding the moves they would use in the tactics menu, figuring out which composition of 2-5 units was coolest/most OP, most thematic, etc. The guy above who said the tactics menu doesn’t matter is absolutely wrong and choosing how your unit tactics pan out is basically the main gameplay loop (the RTS stuff is just a confirmation/refutation of your choices imo). Out of class skills and extra actions being gained through equipment with limited slots allows for a lot of fun in setting up your units, even if there are more than a few optimal choices.

Unless you grind overworld enemies a lot, which I’m not sure you can do but kind of assumed you could, Honors (the currency used to promote units, gain more squads, and increase individual squad sizes) tends to come just slow enough to feel like a throttle throughout early and midgame, which I personally liked a lot. Having to decide when you want to be able to field another squad or make your current one fatter or promote a unit is neat, but it is slightly railroaded by the fact that certain options only become available as you progress further into the game and gain more renown.

Unit Balance vs Unit Leader Balance

Individual units are balanced via their combat capabilities: some units dodge well, some have perfect accuracy that pierce evasion, some tank well, some are tankbusters. On the squad to squad combat level, there are very few comps that can do everything in early to midgame, as strong attackers/defenders all have at least one hard counter of some sort, with bows being good against flying in FE style, flying units doing bonus damage and guard-breaking cavalry, mages vs armors, etc.

Later on you can put together some pretty gross combinations to safeguard all your weaknesses, and it’s possible to juggernaut your way through the latter third-ish of the game pretty safely if you have one unit that fights fliers well and one unit that fights basically everything else well. Stamina, which limits units to only fighting X times until they need to rest and become vulnerable and unable to counter for a bit, helps mitigate this very slightly, but there are various abilities and items that can overcome this barrier.

Unit leader balance is non-existent. There are a variety of leader types with minor applications like “reduce damage from enemy assists”, “rest faster after running out of stamina”, “break down doors easier”, but they all pale in comparison to just being able to fly. Sticking just one flying unit onto a squad and making it your leader allows the entire squad to be able to fly, making it possible to safely bypass a lot of considerations on the map. Squads of all cavalry are also nice for having huge mobility and being able to move at lightspeed across the map while ramming through everything that isn’t flying or heavily armored. The one bad thing about this is that you can’t make units you like the leaders and hear their leadery lines without giving up significant mobility benefits.

Plot

This game’s story exists. Every once in a while it’ll make a random leap and assume you know something you might not, but otherwise there’s nothing spectacularly bad about it, it just lacks any particular merits. I don’t remember it being at any point so terrible that it made me go “man that detracted from the gameplay”, but if you’re a story-focused guy, this is not high praise lmao

Character Design/Art Stuff

This game has a variety of female designs focused entirely around sex appeal. If you dislike that, this game will be distasteful for you. It was honestly to the point that even I, a consummate hornyposter, felt that it was just kind of stupid at times. The Author’s Barely Disguised Fetish from Symphony of War also makes an appearance but the big lady is a very cool unit to field and is not central to the plot.

That aside, I found the animations themselves enjoyable enough. Each class gets a separate unique animation for its martial attacks, stuff for getting hit, blocking, being low on HP, etc. Some of these have a lot of charm to them, and I particularly enjoyed the crossbow unit’s reload animation which always plays after they attack, sometimes while they guard or while other units are fighting. It’s good that these are reasonably enjoyable, because…

Watching Combats

Until you’ve perfected your unit comps, this is a game where watching each individual squad fight play out is actually valuable. Only by watching a fight go down can you see whether you messed up your tactics load out for a unit somehow. For example, default healing does not specify how to prioritize between valid targets, so your healer might heal a unit only missing 1 HP instead of the unit on death’s door. You need to set a secondary tactic to prioritize lowest HP or lowest % HP in order to fix that. These things can get missed when you do your party compositions only to get exposed on the battlefield. Luckily, you can update tactics on the fly, but it does mean that optimal play involves watching more of these combats than most people might be accustomed to.

Stupid RNG

The way this game handles its RNG is extremely goofy. The battle forecast you see before you enter combat is more or less perfect. It preordains whether your units will hit or miss, the order in which things happen, crits, the consequences of revival, etc. You can’t see all that; you only get told how much total HP each squad in a combat gains/loses, but it does allow you to do really dumb stuff like have another combat go first or toggle assists on and off to advance RNs. Notably, having your archers/casters assist a fight might decrease your damage dealt/increase your damage taken by shifting RNs such that your attacks miss or the foe’s attacks hit, which feels super weird.

Accessing Cool Guys

This game is really good about giving you cool units shortly after you see them. Your jagen is a baller that dumpsters on everyone and allows other units in his squad to still gain EXP as normal. Cool angel that indicates she’ll join your party? Actually does reasonably early on if you find her sidequest stuff. Unique elf? You get one almost immediately upon entering elf territory, then another for good measure later on. Unique class enemy arc boss? You actually do get one of those. Other than very obviously final villain guys, the game is not stingy about named characters that do cool shit or just look cool.

Music

It’s, like, OK? There were some cool tracks but I didn’t remember most of it.

The Localization

I don’t know how so many people care. I play FFT: War of the Lions and liked it, so this could just be me being an outlier. It’s fine, the flowery language is fairly consistent so it’s not that bad to get used to outside of people who are platinum ranked or above professional complainers, and no one’s busting out thees or thous or anything.

More FE Than Tristat?

I mean, yes, absolutely. This game has archers that beat fliers and cavalry that’s OP. Tristat had a good plot. It should be obvious which one is more like Fire Emblem.

7 Likes