Top 10 favorite battle animations

For further context, I ask what your favorite battle animations are throughout your days of rom hacking and beta testing rom hacks. It is a very broad variety amongst each rom hack so be sure to take as much time as you want. Do take note that my favorites I’ve posted aren’t in any dedicated order and can change when I see more battle animations.

1. Promoted Kelik’s legendary weapon
  2. Dinar’s true blade
  3. Bwdyeti’s astra swordmaster
  4. Redbean’s marisa (the new one)
  5. Marlon’s conqueror alm (from their rom hack)
  6. Dread fighter
  7. Fiend
  8. Valogriph (bloodlines has that fencer valogriph)
  9. Lizardzerker male
  10. Lizard brigand male
4 Likes

that’s a cool tierlist, it made me wanna tier my favorites too. they might be a bit controversial but i really think people will like what i have listed : D

1. Cockzerker
  2. Cockzerker
  3. Cockzerker
  4. Cockzerker
  5. Cockzerker
  6. Cockzerker
  7. Cockzerker
  8. Cockzerker
  9. Cockzerker
  10. Cockzerker
23 Likes

Only in rom hacks or repo as a whole?

1 Like

Could be either or both.

Aight bet: I’m gonna set some rules for myself to make this fun lol
Rule 1: only max 2 animations per animator
Rule 2: max 2 animations of a repo folder (axe users, fliers, etc)
Rule 3: Only 1 animation from either Salvaged, leo link & Nura, they’re too good
Rulw 4: none of my animations

okey lets go!!
10. [FE6 Roy-Reskin] [F] FE7if Alice

Reasons: First saw this one in a animation compilations, despite being a reskin it merges well the movements of roy and lyn and ofc the coolness factor comes from the wolf participating in the crit, over all an amazing classic
9. [Sniper-Reskin] [M] Royal Sniper with Plume by Meteor
Bow
A pretty big design departure from the typical sniper reskin, this one by meteor stands out because of the helmet and plume, it’s based on the generic class card of the sniper
8. [Wolf-Variant] [F] Brigand Rider by Zoramine
Axe
Fae’s brigand wolf rider both male female and the breserker promotion is a neat concept and uses blur frames very well creating a smooth attacking motion
7. [WK Custom] [M] Malig Knight v2 by pikmin
Magic
One of the staples of modern fe classes,

6… [T3 Necromancer] [F] Archsage Lilina by Redbean
Legendary Axe (Armads)
Just badass and amazing. mixing both a sage design + a physical movement creates a hella cool sprite
5. [T3.1 Bishop] [F] Matriarch by MrNight48
Magic
A pretty cool t3 design for an otherwise pretty meh class animation wise, the coins and effects don’t dissapoint
4. [Custom Magi] [F] Witch Rinea (Vestal) by Nuramon
Magic
This is my 1 slot for a nura anim and it just has to be this one because this is extremely amazing, legit effects and sprite wise
3. [Spider-Reskin] [F] Bael Queen by Seal
Magic
It may not be the most intricate comparing with the 3 other spider ladies in the repo but seal’s bael queen was the first inspiration for mine and is a classic in it’s simplicity
2. [Swordmaster-Variant] [F] Fir by Redbean
Sword
Inticrite but also simple this fir animation by redbead is amazing especially because of the added effects that add so much as well as the general design which looks very unique compare to the vanilla swordmaster
1.[Monster-Custom] [F] Harpy by Sphealnuke
Monster
There’s a lot of great spheal animations but the motion of the harpy is just elegant, imploring a backflip into the attack is no easy feat because of the various angled frames needed but spheal manages to pull it off

P.S
Check the link to the repo folders of these animations to view the varioud talented artists who created all these animations

6 Likes

Honorable mentions:
a. [Berserker-Reskin] [M] Juggernaut by Sphealnuke
Axe
Another spheal classic from his hack shackled power which is fortunate to be now on the repo, human animation wise I would say this is Spheal’s best work but I am ofc more of a monster guy so the harpy won out
b. [Cavalry-Custom] [U] Grand Mahout by Orihara_Saki
Lance
this one is a pretty old one by orihara saki, it’s not the most fluid nor the most intricate but I appreciate the boldness of trying a mount of this scale, I liked it so much I made an updated version and letme just say working with an elephant sprite was not easy

c. [Skeleton-Custom] [U] Specter by Alexsplode
Sword
Just like their name sake Alexsplode came into the community with a bang. Dropping like 10 different animations to the repo thread. Their work is marked with very fluid frames as can be seen with this one. Now many a people would say their best work was shinobi cyclops, which I get that it’s a funny one but personally this one is just soo smooth and good for me
d. [T3 Custom] [M] Dark Prince Julius by Obs
Magic (OAM Saving)
Evil laugh. nouf said
e. [Dark-Knight] [M] Ranger-Style Updated
Magic
A classic from Leo link the kind of mounted spriters, There’s an updated version of it but I prefer the classic movements and proportions, the skiull mask at such tiny a scale + the feathered neck piece makes this an iconic sprite

3 Likes

Speaking my language with FE7if Alice. I had added a ranged animation for her binding blade a couple weeks ago. It still has the hellhound crit but just added a ranged animation.

Not a top 10 but my favorite GBA battle animations would be sword master, rogue, assassin, general, ephriam unpromoted, sage, dark druid.

1 Like

Less of a top ten and more of some quick notes on why I like these so much. I’ll give em some stats too.
Style-How well the animation does what it’s trying to do, and looks cool doing it
Detail-The quality of the sprite itself
Realism- generally just how well it would blend in with vanilla animations as to not stick out.

Nuramon’s Sentinal -
Sword (More Spin)
Style - 10/10
Design - 10/10
Realism - 8/10
Nuramon does the Lord’s work yet again. This is by far my favorite infantry sprite and for good reason. The seam lines between armor plates work so well, and the shield doesn’t get in the way of that detail in the slightest. The animations are fluid and to the point while still being fun to see. This is just peak.

Greentea’s Linus
Sword
Style - 8/10
Detail - 8/10
Realism - 6/10
Never been a huge fan of the hero class, but I’ll give respect for this where it’s due. This is probably the best-looking hero design out there. The silver lining is easy on the eyes yet brings out a ton of detail. The shield looks great, and who doesn’t like a nice longcoat? My only thing about the sprite is the sword still being vanilla, it does look really off with the rest of it.

Aruka’s Swordmaster Joshua

Style - 9/10
Design - 6/10
Realism - 7/10
Playing the Sacred Trilogy made me grow to this one. The clothing design isn’t my thing, but I couldn’t deny how good these animations are, especially the crit. It’s fun, it’s flashy, but it doesn’t drag on or do too much, especially for a swordmaster.

Nuramon’s Marshall
Bow
Style - 10/10
Detail - 8/10
Realism - 9/10
Probably my favorite animation ever. The Marshall is a walking tank, and Nuramon perfectly represents that with its grandiose weapons and details like the bow animation using what looks like bolts. The armor is well separated without being cluttered, though I wish the legs had a bit of that gold trim like the rest of it.

EA’s Erika T-2 (Yes I know this is technically Redbeans)
Magic
Style - 10/10
Design - 10/10
Realism - 9/10
Common red bean W
The Ceilica sprite was already good. It has a crisp, clean design, amazing animation, and details without feeling cluttered. You can tell what’s supposed to be what. I chose EA’s recolor solely because it’s perfectly Erika. The full red color with the gold trim is just such a nice aesthetic that can’t be beaten.

Eldritch’ Necromancer Generic
Staff
Style - 8/10
Detail - 8/10
Realism - 10/10
Despite the Necromancer being designed specifically for Lyon, this one does a great job of being generic. It feels like a sage or a summoner promotion that could genuinely be vanilla. The hood and the muted pallet just work so well.

Divine Dragon

Style - 8/10
Detail - 10/10
Realism - 6?/10
The divine dragon is probably the best manakete sprite in the repo for sure. I’ve always had a thing for cloud-like eastern dragon fur on a western dragon frame, and this is no exception. I wouldn’t call it an issue, but it does feel like it was ported from a DS game.

Leo_Link’s Malig Knight
Magic
Style - 9/10
Detail - 10/10
Realism - 7/10
I’ll be honest, I used to dislike the v1 Malig Knight. It felt weirdly unpolished and shaded, but Leo cooked and now I love this one to death. The wyvern in particular looks super good, and the rider is equally well-designed. Being able to make green, orange, and blue work so well is a talent.

2 Likes

Man this is fun, wished more people payed attention to animations and animators, they’re really fun to make

1 Like

SeraphKnightF.Spear.All
SeraphKnightF.Sword.All

I’m proud of my own seraph knight animation. Probably the hardest animation I’ve done yet.

Some more corporate shilling down below…
BattleScene.allframes
EXP16.allsofar1

5 Likes

Ah yes. I remember the seraph knight you posted! Also I love your true blade! I think it was because of your trueblade I have a little more knowledge of what the difference between the swordmaster and the trueblade. I unironically thought it was a different name for swordmasters in Radiant dawn as I have yet to play it.

1 Like
Spoilers

Unarmed

Spoilers

Unarmed

Spoilers

Unarmed

Spoilers

Unarmed

Spoilers

Unarmed

Spoilers