ToggleSmile: individual or universal?

I was hoping this would be a quick search question, but I’ve gotten contradictory results for it so evidently not…

While editing conversation events, I’d like to change the smile states on characters individually, because not everyone is always going to be jazzed or unhappy about the same thing at the same time. I’m getting some weird behaviour with ToggleSmile where it doesn’t seem to be working when I expect it to… and I’m seeing some claims that it is applied to all characters in the scene, and other claims that it’s applied to the specific character it’s called with. Which is it? And if it does apply to everyone at once, is there a way around that?

It’s universal, you’ll need to toggle it manually for each character as they start talking and stop talking and stuff. Toggling it on sticks around for every character until off again.

Oh hey that’s what tripped me up-- I thought when folks were saying that meant “everyone starts smiling when ToggleSmile is called” rather than “after ToggleSmile is called other characters will start smiling the next time they start talking”. (Didn’t help that one of the characters I’m working with at the moment has a very subtle smile so it was hard to tell what was going on until I swapped a different one in for testing.) Thanks for clarifying!