The Wyvern Knight: A Class Expanded by Localization

I made a reply not too long ago about how there’s two distinct versions of Great Knights, and how the only localized appearance of their very different original version, in FE10, was called “Axe Paladin.” Localization changes in FE have always been a controversial topic, but that’s usually talking about story or gameplay fidelity. But I’ve noticed an interesting pattern for a while that I can’t stop thinking about, and with the release of Engage, there’s more evidence, (even if circumstantial, and there is not in fact an effort to make “Wyvern Knight” a thing, I appreciate such a distinction).

So, in original Japanese, only FE’s Wyvern Knight is actually called “Wyvern Knight,” while a dizzying array of units are referred to as “Dragon Knight” or “Dracoknight,” it’s quite a mess IMO. Then there is the “Dragon Master,” which is a promoted Dragon Knight and “Dragon Rider,” which only appears in Jugdral, along with the “Pegasus Rider.” In case you don’t know, that’s three tiers of classes! (I suppose you could count Radiant Dawn’s ultimate version as tier 4 then?)
I know this is off topic, but a tangent about how I think tier 3 promotions were once planned for FE4:

Three Tiers Theory

In case you don’t know, FE4 was originally planned to have a third generation in between Sigurd and Seliph. Three generations for three tiers? There are a number of scrapped classes: on the lower end, the Pegasus Rider, Soldier and its weapon variants. On the higher end, a super powerful “Great Ballista” class. There are also many classes that are enemy only, such as Barons and Dragon Riders. I can’t help but wonder if Gaiden’s class system was meant to be brought back. Soldiers originally become armor Knights and then Barons. FE4’s scrapped soldiers could have promoted into the various armor Knights specializing in the same weapon. However, the smoking gun is the fliers, with the next game giving Eda and Karin, Dragon and Pegasus riders, who promote into the knight classes FE4’s playable fliers start in! Arion and Travant appear as Dragon Masters in cutscenes. This illustrates how “out of his league” Leif’s oppressors are, and how he ultimately has to wait for Seliph’s army. It seems like even though the Pegasus Rider was cut and the Dragon Rider was enemy only, they ultimately made it into the next game. There is also a suspicious theme of trinities in FE4’s story and gameplay: The Weapon and Anima triangles, three main weapon ranks and tiers of weapons, Sigurd, Quan, and Eldigan, Seliph, Julia and Julius, etc…

In English, the term “Wyvern Rider” is used with “Wyvern Lord” as its promotion in various games where there are unpromoted as well as promoted Wyvern classes. “Wyvern Knight” is a promotion for Pegasus Knights. This distinction holds true visually as well, despite the Japanese names being the same. The design of FE8’s Wyvern Knight was definitely a callback.
Bs fe01 wyvern knight sword.pngBs fe03 dracoknight female lance.png
Bs fe08 tana wyvern knight lance.png
What in Japan was merely a one-off name appears to have been expanded in localization to better classify units.
Wyvern Rider: Unpromoted wyvern class, appears in GBA, Tellius, Fateswakening, and promotes to…
Wyvern Lord (FE10 uses literal translation of “Dragonmaster”): promotion in the same games
Wyvern Knight (FE11 uses literal translation of “Dracoknight”): Pegasus Knight promotion, appears in Archanea, FE8, and Engage.

3H is weird with its fliers. It uses the Rider and Lord names, but Pegasus Knights often want to become Wyverns anyway, as Wyvern Rider is the lone advanced flier class, then either Falcoknight or Wyvern Lord as an endgame masterclass. Funnily enough there is a (visually identical I believe) advanced Pegasus Knight class for enemies only. 3H’s class system is weird like that. Thus, I don’t count this evidence against my theory.

In a hypothetical Jugdral remake, I would localize Dragonmaster as “Wyvern Lord,” as per tradition, and make Dragon Riders “Wyvern Riders.” The middle tier of Dragon Knight would thus be “Wyvern Knight.” This would perfectly synergize with Pegasus Rider and Pegasus Knight.

Pet Peeves About the Wikis - Yes, the .org one too!

If I could have things my way, I’d not be strict about organizing everything according to the original Japanese names. Why are armor Knights that can wield different weapons, exclusive to FE1 and 3H, counted as the same class as the more common lance locked ones? Those should be Armored Lance/Lance Armor. Great Knights I would split into Axe Paladins. And of course, the FE8 Wyvern Knight would no longer be alone. An English wiki should generally focus on the English version of something, not confuse the average person using it instead of Serenes Forest. And why does Marth have that stupid, callous “Imma prince before I’m a son or a brother! :triumph:” quote at the top of his page? Who does he think he is, Michalis? IS has done everything to retcon SD!Marth after Japanese outrage over how they rewrote the main protagonist of the series to appeal to edgy, emo 2008 American teenagers. Those guys who are like “waah they made Marth a sissy in New Mystery!” need to “touch grass.” He always has been, he’s not a macho, determined dude.

8 Likes

You know this is so funny. I was thinking about all of this when re-naming classes for my hack. I chose to call the Tier 1 units ‘wyvern rider’ and ‘pegasus rider’. Their promotions, the tier 2 units, are ‘wyvern knight’ and ‘pegasus knight’ respectively. As I write this, I am thinking of what other names could be used to better describe the tier 2 promotions.

2 Likes

The thing that confuses me is that the (FE8) ‘Wyvern Knight’ is the only one with an actual Wyvern, two legs and wings, the rest are all dragons, four legs and wings, hence, the ‘Dragon’ in the name of all of the Japanese (and a few localised) versions of games. Although I dunno if I’m the only one who cares about weird details like this.

6 Likes

Starting with FE4, “Dracoknights” gained their front limbs, and the four-limbed design was used in every main game since then, until Awakening, where they reverted to having just two legs, and have appeared that way ever since. Though, the original design has that low, serpentine profile, while post-Awakening has a more upright stance.

2 Likes

in thracia the base dragon rider sprite the dragon/wyvern has no arms and when it promotes to wyvern knight it grows arms which has always been one of my favorite stupid fire emblem facts. also it look really funny without arms

3 Likes

I’ve heard it speculated that it was in order to mitigate confusion with the Manakete-type Dragons that have an important story role in Elibe (FE7 being the first game localized), and after that they just wanted to stay consistent in how they localized it… most of the time. FEs 10 and 11 got a bit creative with it, as has already been covered in the original post, haha

3 Likes

Personally, I prefer the four-legged ‘wyverns’, which I will also refer to as dragons. I don’t like the FE8 design for the two-legged wyvern, especially with that enormous tooth sticking out of its mouth. I mean, just look at it:

wyvernspirteWyvern_knightGBAIcon

It looks evil! It’s definitely a carnivore and probably eats horses, or even human beings. (Note: Please bear in mind that I wrote this with some intended humour via exaggeration. I don’t actually think it’s a bad design or should be removed or anything or the sort.).

Anyway, I think the reason ‘dragon’ might not have been used it because dragons are supposed to be able to breathe fire. Mamkutes can do this, but they are called ‘mamkutes’ or ‘manaketes’, instead of dragons.

If it was up to me, I would use the term ‘draco’ instead of wyvern or dragon, because they are four-legged, but cannot breathe fire (so they wouldn’t exactly be dragons.). The tier 1 name could be ‘draco rider’ and tier 2 could be ‘draco master’. Other names could be ‘draco soldier’, ‘draco trooper’ or ‘draco warrior’.

4 Likes

The Japanese word, Hi-ryu, is almost always translated into english as Wyvern, the Final Fantasy games also do this.

Mystery of the Emblem and internal data in Shadow Dragon refer to the dragon mounts as Wyvern even in Japanese.

5 Likes

Imagine trying to come up with a way to differentiate ドラゴン and 龍 without making up some BS word or just using the Japanese pronunciation in 2002. Uh-uh. “Wyvern” works well enough. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s FE7’s translation being mid.

The Japanese names of the classes are ドラゴンナイト and ドラゴンマスター, though, which use ドラゴン and not 飛竜 for the parts of the class names that refer to their wyvern steeds. Directly-translated, they would be “Dragon Knight” and “Dragon Master”, hence the potential confusion from using those names for FE7 in English.

The idea to use “Wyvern”, specifically, as the alternative to “Dragon” in the English localization very likely did come from exactly where you’re suggesting, though.