The King's Last Wish [COMPLETE] (V3.0 - New Chapters and Playable Units)

All good, just figured I’d ask. Anyways, I’m only a couple of chapters in, but so far things are looking good.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but do you get a bonus on 5x for killing the boss?

Not that I’m planning it, I’m just comparing his stats vs that of my army’s, and it’s technically doable (though I’d probably get mauled by his guards in the process)

There is no reward. He is not supposed to be beaten. While technically possible, I made it essentially impossible without save scumming a crit, as he has decent bulk as well as avoid and his guards will murder any of your units who get in their range.

V1.73 patch notes:

• Completing the game in 200 turns or less now yields a reward on subsequent playthroughs.

• The Saint Staff now grants more exp.

• Chapter 11 and 14 vendors now sell door keys and chest keys in case you lost your thieves (however they are quite expensive so that there is still an incentive to deploy thieves on the maps).

• Some balance changes (see below).

• Other minor changes that are not worth mentioning.

Balances
  • Monty and Truman now gain more weapon exp upon promotion.

• Warriors and falcoknights now gain D rank bows and swords respectively upon promotion instead of E rank.

• Osborn now gains D rank in axes upon promotion rather than E rank.

• Piper now gains +1 constitution upon promotion.

• Nicholas -10% resistance growth.

• Starla -5% hp, defence and resistance growth. +5% skill, speed and luck growth.

2 Likes

V1.74 patch notes:

• You can now perform a triangle attack using the 3 warriors (Gregory, Gunvald and Grant). Credit to @knabepicer for the animation.

• After trying to kill the Governor in ch5x, I found that it is possible with some insane luck/save scumming and a powerful Royce, so he now retreats after you either talk to Grant or get close to him.

• The generals in ch5x are now slightly stronger.

• Other small changes that are not worth mentioning.

3 Likes

V1.75 patch notes:

This patch is more of a series of minor changes rather than any major ones, so I won’t list them all, but here are a few:

• Fixed an error where you could still visit the house in chapter 13 after recruiting Charlotte.
  • Removed thieves from chapter 14.
  • Changed some enemies in chapter 16.
  • Barrier and Physic staves are now cheaper.
  • White gem is now worth 7,500 gold and the gold gem is worth 10,000.
  • Saving the green units in chapter 8 is now 1 turn more lenient.
1 Like

Just finished the hack, it was pretty good.

I don’t have anything negative to say about the maps, I think they were all pretty good. The music selection was also very nice (I especially like how the music changed every few turns in the final chapter.)
Also, the story was easy to follow, and the characters were all nicely fleshed out by the supports you wrote for them. Gameplay was balanced for the most part, and other than one exclusion (the Alfred boss fight) each level presented a fair but not unreasonable challenge.

The only ‘bad’ thing that happened during my run is that I apparently missed a unique unit- In the credits a lady named Charlotte is mentioned to have unique spriting/animations, but she never showed up during my playthrough. I’m not sure if I missed something obvious, or if she was dummied out, but regardless she was missing from my party. Not a huge loss, but I always try to recruit all characters possible in FE games.

1 Like

@ReedRacer Thanks, I’m really glad you enjoyed the hack. Regarding Charlotte, she is indeed a recruitable character that you missed. She is this game’s ‘est’ character and you recruit her by visiting the house in chapter 13 with Gunvald. She is extremely powerful when trained, so having her around may have helped you out on the Alfred chapter, which you mentioned you had trouble with.

Ah, I figured something was up with that house but couldn’t figure out what the gimmick was

V1.76 patch notes:

• Made some small changes to the maps of chapter 12 and 13.

• Arandale and Hamilton (green) now have death music upon death.

• Improved Winton’s palette (ch2 boss).

• Nerfed Eve’s (dancer) bases and growths slightly.

2 Likes

V1.77 patch notes:

• Added some additional enemies near the boss in chapter 10. This is because the chapter felt a little empty after you have dealt with the initial wave of enemies pursuing you.

• Osborn now has a battle quote with Raychester.

• Changed some staff ranks: physic is now C, fortify is now B and hammerne is now A.

• Boots now give +1 move instead of +2. This is because it felt a little too op getting +2 move being as you get the boots in chapter 1.

• Wesley now starts with B rank staves instead of A.

• Thunder -1 mt. Fimbulvetr +1 mt.

• Some other minor changes that are not worth mentioning.

V1.78 patch notes:

• Smoother transitions between some conversations and story events.

• Royce’s battle event is now standardised. There will no longer be any variance in the displayed numbers.

• Nicholas now joins with S rank lances (from A), but his resistance has been reduced.

• Some small changes to chapter 15.

I’ve only got a few real questions so far,

1. What boots are you even talking about?

2. What is with the severe stat variance on enemies?

3. Why are enemy mages so bulky?

On chapter 3 I’ve got a generic Merc who is better than the boss in every way, higher strength, skill, speed, defense, even luck. The only grace is he’s weighed down by 2 from his armorslayer, on a desert map… but he still has 11 effective speed and only a pegasus who can’t do any real damage to him to hit him with.

So far my only real gripe is that the starting units you have suck aggressively. Gregory has had 4 HP Only level ups now due to all of his growths (minus strength) being on par with your jaegan, he is literally the purest example of a bench warmer unit I’ve seen in a while, and he’s your only axe user.

I had to reset a few times just to actually recruit truman since he could double literally everyone i had and killed osborn every time he got close.

Also why did you decide to make chapter 3 a desert map when you have 3 units that are crippled on those types of maps.

edit: WHY IS THERE A BRAVELANCE PEGASUS ON CHAPTER 5.

2nd Edit: had a chance to take a break, have something to drink, and calm down.

I think I figured out why I’m having such a hard time with the enemies in this hack.

something has gotten severely messed up with the enemy auto level and randomly gives enemy units much higher stats then they should in random places. to illustrate my point, here are the cavaliers on chapter 5X
cav1
cav2
cav3
the biggest discrepancy here is at most 1 strength, 2 defense and 3 speed.

now for the first mage on left side of the same map
X The Kings Last Wish.emulator-0
X The Kings Last Wish-1
the biggest thing to note here is before I suspended and reset the chapter this mage had 8 defense, which doesn’t seem like a lot but when most of my units have 5-7 strength that actually makes them alot harder to kill then you’d think.
the last four are from a single fighter and the single myrmadon on the same map.
X The Kings Last Wish01
X The Kings Last Wish-2

X The Kings Last Wish-0
X The Kings Last Wish-3

if you’ll note, the myrm is painfully stronger then the fighter in both cases, due solely to his speed.

this is my shelly,
X The Kings Last Wish.emulator-0
she is by far the best unit I’ve got, since she’s actually managed to get some offensive levels under her, where as every one else either has gotten maybe one ortwo strength OR speed in about 7 levels. none of them have gain defense and while they’ve gotten health, it doesn’t mean anything if they get one rounded like she does against that myrm. thats litterally what I’m up against every map so far, its exausting.

@jackofblades1991 to answer your questions:

1- you can get the boots as a reward on a second playthrough if you complete the game with a total turncount of 200 or less.

2+3- the large stat variance is not a glitch. The game has thracia level of stat variance I am aware. The reason for this is not an error with the autolevel system, rather, the autolevels given to enemies are truly random. Oftentimes, truly random outcomes don’t feel random to players (this is why they implemented true hit for example), but in my hack, they are truly random. This is why some of those enemy mages can be bulky. Fans of thracia 776 will probably like this, others not so much.

4- The reason you feel as if you have gotten unlucky with the level ups is because growths in this hack are somewhat lower than other hacks tend to go for. In my hack, most units have growth totals of between 250 and 300, this is around the level of fe6. Most other hacks use growths between 300 and 400, which is around the level of fe8 and fe9. However, I have balanced this by giving you more exp per kill. In tradition fe games, you get 30 exp per kill, but in my hack you get around 50. This essentially means that levels ups are more frequent, but less impressive, I personally prefer it this way, but either method will result in similar units stat-wise. However for this hack, using my method is almost essential due to the length of the hack (19 chapters). The traditional fe game is around 25 chapters and thus the exp formula has been designed as such that your units begin maxing out towards the end, however for a shorter hack, faster exp gain is necessary.

Hope this helps :smiley:

It helps somewhat, but when some of your units have worse growths the the enemy generics (starting fighter) and enemies having units the player cannot even approach due to the enemies just having blantantly better stats then what the player has doesn’t inspire confidence.

I mean, if the mage and fighter next to him aren’t killed before you recruit him Grant is dead before you can even do anything about it.

Almost every enemy deals twice the damage player units can. I have literally had cases where the best damage I could do was 4x2 while taking 18 in return with my strongest unit. How is that not a problem?

I’ve played a few other hacks that heavily pulled from thracian design (one literally taking maps from them) but this is the only one I feel like the enemies are somewhat unfair. Almost solely due to that being stronger then I can feasablely deal with.

i mean, every myrm and merc I’ve come across so far can, without exception, double more then half my units minus truman, and the rest just hit twice as hard.

I mean, when the auto leveled merc should have 9 strength wouldn’t it be unfair for the version I face to suddenly have 14 strength, cause thats what’s happening. Its making me feel like I have to just keep resetting until I get units I can actually fight.

I will say I do like Osborn’s animations. and just so its not just me ragging on balance, I think a few of the early maps could use some tweaking, I mean the desert map alone took me 17 turns just because I only had two units who could actually move.

I think I may just end up passing on this one, I muscled through some tough hacks but I this might just be a bit to grating for me.

1 Like

@jackofblades1991 it is difficult for me to respond to complaints about difficulty, because at the end of the day, it is purely a matter of preference. What I will say however is you shouldn’t have to worry about resetting to roll better stats on enemies, I have playtested the game extensively, and can confirm it is entirely possible without any rng manipulation or while using the “worst” units. Also, don’t feel as if you NEED to reset for every unit that dies. The game is quite lenient with deaths in that the playable cast is twice the size of the max deployment slots you’ll see and you get some powerful pre-promotes later down the line, so if it helps with the frustration of resetting, know that it is certainly doable with a few deaths here and there.

Another thing that may make your life a little easier is early promotion (which I am almost always an advocate of). I understand the desire to want to get the best possible stats, but early promoting will make your life a hell of a lot easier in the mid-game. Shelly for example is a good candidate for early promotion with the guiding ring you got from chapter 5, not only will she be able to double more reliably for good damage, but it also gives you a second healer. Liberal use of Royce is also helpful in the early and mid-game, I can assure you that exp is not scarce, so use him wherever he is helpful.

Also, you mentioned pulling from thracian design, and I will say that this hack by no means does that (in fact, I quite dislike thracia), the large enemy stat variance is not inspired by thracia, I just thought it was a good point of comparison. I have actually playtested the game using the standard autolevelling formula, but the game felt a little too easy, so that is the reason for it.

Edit: @jackofblades1991 I completely understand if you want to drop it because of the difficulty, it certainly isn’t for everyone. I would probably compare the difficulty to that of fe6 hard mode (except the hit rates aren’t as shaky as in fe6). 17 turns is a little long for the desert map, but I’m guessing it’s because you walked all the way around. The intended strategy is to ferry Osborn and a boss killer over the wall with Harper while other units get the treasure. This usually takes me 10 turns or so and you won’t have to deal with those mercenaries, or if you do, you have the advantage of the southern forts.

Personally I don’t mind a bit of difficulty, but it is a very subjective preference. I might just go taking smaller bites of progress.

I’ve just had a lot of instances of taking more damage then I deal or need to dogpile on a single enemy just to make any kind of headway.

I’m also not big on rescue drop strats, I don’t exactly agree with a map being designed around explicitly using that being the best strategy.

Ultimately don’t let my griping get to you too much, I’m mostly just venting some of my own frustrations due in large to some of my units having gotten nothing but HP for multiple levels and some enemies randomly being able to just one-shot the lordling.

2 Likes

Hi, over the past few days I have slowly started to play your hack and have been drawn in by its charms. But, I’ve noticed that your lord is currently using a F2U portrait from the repo, which while fine and dandy, I personally think is damaging to a hack’s memorability.
As such, I would like to offer to make a new portrait for your lord.
Feel free to reply to me here or in DMS with a response.

1 Like

@Goldblitzx I really appreciate it, thank you. Feel free to contact me on discord at Jack_G #9529.

@jackofblades1991 I have looked into the stat variance that you were mentioning, and I am in agreement with you that the variance is too much. While I already knew of the insane levels of variance, I didn’t realise it was to this much of an extent. Vanilla gbafe has enemy stat variance of up to 3, Thracia has up to 5, but my hack it seems can even exceed thracia when enemies are higher levels. Thus, I have decided that I am going to create a patch that uses standard gba autolevelling.

Are you going to make 2 different patches or merge them all into 1 once you go back to vanilla variance?