The King's Last Wish [COMPLETE] (V3.0 - New Chapters and Playable Units)

Thank you for the kind words. The hack is essentially complete, with the exception of supports (of which I am around 1/3 of the way through). As for bugs, I would like to think that almost all of them have been straightened out at this point, but it is difficult to say for certain. When you do eventually give it a go, I hope you have fun with it :smiley:

3 Likes

I will be going VERY in depth in this review, and thus, this only covers the first 4 chapters. These will discuss what I liked, disliked, and what could improve. For a quick overview, the prologue and chp 1 were boring, chp 2 was pretty fun but only because I Ltc’d it, and chapter 3 was a banger.

Prologue

Pretty slow and boring. It’s good story wise, but gameplay wise it takes too long, and it easy. Maybe increase the difficulty, but make it less turns?

Chp 1

Chp 1:
The bad:
Boring. The enemies at the start are too dummy thick for any of your units to do shit to them, so op strat is to make a mad dash to the seize point through the broken wall.

The good:
Player units are all well balanced and fun to use, especially gregory. I just love axe users, AND my man’s the goat. He’s basically the substitute jegan, like felicia/jakob in fates.

How to improve:
Maybe add more enemies, and make them weaker? The map design is a bit boring besides that, though. try adding some forests on the left side at least. Also, perhaps an extra chest down on the right side to make incentive to go there?

Chp 2

The bad:
The map is far too big for its own good. The entire left side is completely out of the way, and if the mage attacks the knight on the right, the chapter takes an extra turn. The mage attacked the guy on the left, though, so i was lucky. As for the knights, I opened the door to the one the mage was attacking. I got a dracoshield, so interesting incentive. I did not, however, save the one with the soldier attacking him. He’s too much of a danger to piper.

The good:
While this chapter was ridiculously easy, especially compared to the last 2, it was also miles more fun. The unit placement to save my mans Royce and use him to move forward was good, especially with the cavs attacking from both sides, giving great incentive to rush to save him. I ltc’d this chapter, and had a lot of fun with it.

How to improve:
I completed this chapter in 5 turns, and there was an entire incompleted left side. It would’ve been really boring going there, considering how out of the way it is. Try moving the escape point towards the middle, and eliminating some of the left side. As well as the right. SERIOUSLY REMOVE THE RIGHT KNIGHT SO THAT THE MAGE DOES NOT ATTACK HIM, as all that does is make the chapter annoying. Removing some of the right side could make the empty space less redundant. Also, the knights who have gold-not sure if they really matter. Killing them all just takes extra time, and it boring.
Try changing the chokepoint to just 1 or two, and give them more gold. There isn’t incentive
to kill more than 1: it’s just boring. I could attack 2 maybe, but 3 is too much. Also, they
don’t move. Try making it so they move if you get in their range. Finally, this is an escape
map, yet there are no reinforcements. Try adding cav reinforcements by turn 3 or 4, maybe 5
if you slightly buff all the characters, my next point: this chapter was ridiculously easy.
try buffing at the character by like 1 autolevel, and add a few more of them.

Chp 3

The bad:
The shops at the bottom are annoying. After dealing with the initial wave of enemies, you got down there and then, you go back up. It’s annoying. Not fun, just boring. I decided to sacrifice the fast but slightly weaker cav, as he wasn’t doing too much to the enemies by this point. I was just fine. Also, the killer axe boss. Yes, I get that it’s funny, but it takes away room for creativity for strategizing, as all you
can really do is attack with royce, your mage, and your archer. You won’t have other ranged options as
the armory is towards the bottom. Also, the knight at the top does not move. Not having this knowledge
made it take an extra turn.

The good:
This chapter was actually really fun. I loved how you get a devil axe, which i instantly used almost causing the death of royce. The start where you are attacked by 2 sides is a little tricky, and there isn’t a way out of it this time, especially since you have a devil axe to save. Since gregory isn’t doubling anymore, he gets to put that halberd to good use. Overall, pretty solid chapter. I actually had a lot of fun with it.

How to improve:
The bottom does not need to be scrapped, but I’d say move the armory and vendor up, maybe replacing the non-visitable villages with them? Keep the arena down there, keeping it an option for those who want more gold and exp, but since it’s abusable, your units can’t keep down there due to reinforcements, which actually show up this time. If you move those up, then you don’t need to change the killer axe on the boss, but if you don’t move them, the killer axe is just inhibiting creativity and fun. Also, the reinforcements could come a little sooner. I finished the chapter turn 9, so they just existed sorta. Maybe by turn 5 or 6. Also, the knights will take forever you reach you, so they’re not threatening. If you want to keep them armourknights rather than switching to cavs, they should come much earlier.

1 Like

Hey man, I have read all of your feedback, and the issue seems to be that different people are asking for different things. For example chapter 3. The reinforcements used to come 1 turn earlier and they were cavaliers, but people said it was too strict, so now I made it a little easier with the reinforcements being armour knights instead. Unfortunately, I cannot please everyone, it seems my best strategy would perhaps be to implement difficulty modes.

Prologue
Not sure if you saw the boss? He has a droppable secret book. That is supposed to be the incentive for those seeking a bit more of a challenge.

Ch1
It’s interesting that you say the enemies are too strong, because in earlier versions, they actually used to be even stronger. After nerfing them from the original version, I think they are in a good place right now. I can assure you it is entirely doable not going for the wall, it just requires good vulnerary and enemy phase damage management.

Ch2
Regarding the right armour knight, Shelly will never target him. Since they both have equal stats, the ai will just prioritise the nearest enemy. And regarding the size of the map, I’m not sure if you have the latest version? (V1.6) Because to alleviate some of the annoyance of Piper having to move through the entire map, Shelly now comes with a door key as well. I would have added reinforcements to the map, but it doesn’t really make much sense story wise because your units just cleared out sll of the enemies upstairs and after ch2, Raychester comes to the castle, so they wouldn’t make sense unless coming from towards the escape point, but this would just clog up the map, so I decided not to.

Ch3
I covered this one earlier, and it seems that my best course of action would be to create difficulty modes.

Thanks for the in depth feedback, I really appreciate it. Also chapter 2 in 5 turns? Wow.

V1.61 patch notes:

• All bosses now have unique palettes (with a couple of exceptions where the generic palette suited them better).

• Changed the palettes of Dale (promoted) and Wesley.

• More supports and 2 new paired endings.

• Grant +1 base skill.

• Andy -10% hp growth.

2 Likes

V1.62 patch notes:

• stats in chapter 2 are now more standardised for a more streamlined experience with saving the armour knights.

• Made some musical changes.

• Changed the backdrop in chapter 17.

• Supports and a new paired ending.

2 Likes

I’ve recently replayed version 1.61 and I have two points I didn’t made in the previous review.
Chapter 8 and 14.
-Chp8: a one tile chokepoint will slow down all of yur units while you deal with two pegasi, one of them has a killer lance, unless you do some rescue drop strats, you can’t kill him in turn 1, so you have
to take the hit on enemy phase. Also the chokepoints will serve you for defending the horde of cavaliers that approaches you, if you don’t use the choke points, you’ll be swarmed and defeated, and personally I don’t think this incentive of choking is good, especially since you have thieves that will go to the chest and open the sniper’s door. So on one hand you have to stall to not get swarmed, on another hand you have to rush, both of these forces clash together and prevent the player to achieve the side objectives. I suggest to wide up the entrance, reduce the number of enemies or quality of enemies or decrease the number of enemies with AI 0 ir 6, in other words, if the player doesn’t push hard, he won’t get the rewards, but if he does, he’ll die, I’ve tried this chapter three times, and I’ve never got to the chests in time.
-Chp14: Most of the enemies will rush towards rush almost immediatly, but I found the time at wich the thieves get the chest too strict, they got all the treasure on turn 7, I wish you could increase the timer by two turns at least. Beside that, I think you should put more enemies with AI 0, since after the rsh most of the remainings are just a pair of beserkers and the guy on the throne. I think that AI 6 for movement in fog can be substitue with AI 0 since the player is already incentivized to move forward, due to the chests.
One note, on chapter 16, only a few of my units could scratch the boss, I suggest to lower the boss speed by 1 (so Gunvald doesn’t get doubled) lower skill by 4 (or increase the number of goddess icons, I had many units who faced low crit chances) or def/res by 2.

Hi, thanks for the input. In regards to chapter 14, I agree that the thieves are perhaps too quick to the chests, so I will look into giving the player a little longer. In regards to chapter 8, the cavaliers are intentional, it is supposed to be sort of a race to the centre of the water. I have never had trouble getting all of the chests, it just requires a faster strategy. I personally like to kill all of the cavs on enemy phase using either Gregory with a halberd or Edison with the lancereaver (depending on which i decided to promote with the hero crest, my personal preference is Edison). Then you just leave behind two designated units and a healer to hold off the swarm of reinforcements from the left and right while moving the rest of your units north to intercept the thieves and deal with any other enemies. And I am speaking from an experience playing an older version where the thieves spawned on turn 3, whereas on the version you played, they spawn on turn 4. So In regards to thieves, I think chapter 8 is fine, but will look into being a little more lenient on chapter 14.

In regards to Alfred, he is the main antagonist of the game that kick start the events from the very first chapter, so he is supposed to be challenging (similar difficulty to zephiel in fe6). I don’t think I will nerf him because I give the player plenty of resources to deal with him. In the event that you havn’t trained a unit that can deal with him effectively, you are given Helgen in that chapter who performs very well, as well as Nicholas in the previous chapter who can use the heaven axe to deal big damage (anyone with the heaven axe performs really well against him). However, I understand what you are saying about Gunvald, he shouldn’t get doubled, and so, in the next patch, I will give him +1 base speed, so that he is also viable against him without a speed level up.

Sorry if it feels like I’m not taking your suggestions seriously, but please understand that I cannot implement every single suggestion that people give. For example, sometimes, people want completely opposite things, especially in regards to difficulty.

1 Like

V1.63 patch notes:

• Gunvald +1 base speed, -5% speed growth.

• Harper + 2 base luck, +5% luck growth, -1 base skill, -5% skill growth.

• The amount of time the thieves take to reach the chests on chapter 14 is more lenient now.

• Fixed an issue where the silhouette of 2 units support partners were incorrect in the prep screen support viewer.

• Fixed an issue with Truman’s portrait (the top and bottom half weren’t aligned properly, so I literally moves some of the pixels 1 pixel to the right to realign, so don’t worry, I havn’t sabotaged the artist’s work or anything).

• Supports.

1 Like

V1.64 patch notes:

• Harper dying on chapter 5x now causes a game over for the same reason that Grant dying does.

• The boss from chapter 5x now has a class name and class description.

• New supports and a new paired ending (speaking of, I am pretty close to finishing with supports now, I set out with the goal of each character having 2-3 support pairings, and I am nearly there).

2 Likes

V1.65 patch notes:

• Supports and an new paired ending.

• Fixed an issue where the warrior in chapter 6 was unable to use his silver axe.

• Dunstan (ch7 boss) now has a boss icon on the map.

• Other small changes that are not worth mentioning.

V1.66 patch notes:

Sorry for releasing another patch so soon after the last and it being so small, but there was a pretty urgent issue that I found that has been corrected. I fixed an issue where many of the enemies on chapter 10 were unintentionally weak (close to base level), this resulted in chapter 10 being ridiculously easy, and so I thought I would fix it now rather than waiting to include it in the next patch along with supports and whatnot.

4 Likes

V1.7 patch notes:

• Supports are finally finished. All characters, with a few exceptions (e.g- joins too late) now have 2 or 3 support partners.

• 1 less weight on all light tomes except aura.

• Gregory +15% hp growth, -5% res growth. Hopefully this allows him to compete better with Gunvald later on without being broken in the early game.

• Andy -1 base speed, -2 base luck. This is to make Piper a more viable option for those looking for an assassin.

• Trisha now has a boss logo on the map.

• Reinforcements on chapter 13 now arrive 1 turn earlier.

• Extra enemy on ch12 so the end of the map feels a little less empty.

1 Like

V1.71 patch notes:

• Put a door at the top of the southern chest room on chapter 12 so that you don’t have to wait for your thief to walk around the map.

• Fixed an issue where Matar’s battle quote would play twice.

• Fixed an issue with Matar’s battle theme.

• You can now skip/fast-forward the end cutscene following Osborn’s promotion.

• Gunvald -10% res growth.

• Charlotte +5% spd/luck growth, -5% def/res growth.

• Some other things that are not worth mentioning

1 Like

V1.72 patch notes:

• The “talk” and “support” commands no longer take up a turn.

• The final chapter is now included in the final turn count.

• Removed thieves from chapter 8.

• Improved thief ai on chapter 14.

• Made some minor adjustments to chapter 2.

• Other small changes that are not worth mentioning.

3 Likes

Ok, so now that all supports are complete and presumably all issues have been dealt with and I have finished polishing the experience, I am considering implementing difficulty modes. I would like some other people’s inputs on this. In other words, how much more challenging should a “hard” mode be? And is an “easy” mode necessary, or is the base game already easy enough?

I also intend to give the player the option to switch difficulty at the beginning of each chapter. However, it is likely this will be a much longer process to implement than the supports, polish, etc as I will need to thoroughly playtest additional difficulty modes and I am only one person. I personally am not a fan of just increasing enemy stats, I also like to change enemy placement, density, equipment, etc to make different difficulties. I think the way difficulty modes are handled in Eligor’s spear is very good for example. Anyway, any thoughts on difficulty would be appreciated whether you have completed the hack or not :smiley:

3 Likes

Definitely would love a hard mode so it incentivizes a second playthrough. Glad to see you’ve squashed all the bugs and got all supports done. Can’t wait to try this! Been on my radar.

1 Like

Game was awesome! Just finished. Wish you added more S rank weapons and that it was a bit longer but it wasnt bad.

If you make a second game, let me know when its complete.

Also that Pirates of the Caribbean theme! Using than versing that Pirate boss on the high seas now that was awesome! I’ll forever remember that

1 Like

Is there no combat music? The map theme just plays straight through. I know some hacks have that, but I must have missed it if you posted about it earlier.

@ReedRacer correct, there is no combat music. I didn’t think it was necessary as there is a unique map theme for each chapter, and I personally don’t like it when the combat music interrupts the map theme every 5 seconds, so that was my reasoning for the decision.

1 Like

@ShinryuShadow21 Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed the hack :smiley:

1 Like