The Divine Twins' War (v1.1.1; Ch31 complete)

Edrick being OP in Chapter 10 actually isn’t an issue. There’s a bunch of enemies coming from right near the start of the map that only he’s strong enough to handle, meaning the normal units have to be the ones actually clearing the map while he holds them off. And that’s the last chapter where you (deliberately) get a unit as OP as him or Rodin were, unless I add an Athos-type character for the last chapter or two.

bug report: after updating the rom from ch5, the inventories of units messed up quite a bit
some ‘null’ iron swords appeared and null and iron lance appeared on the pirate instead of an axe
and many units became level 1 with stats that seems to be base
and on the chapter that I loaded save state, some playable units’ names and portrait changed too
maybe I should restart to avoid more bugs

1 Like

Yeah, restarting is for the best. As I’ve updated the hack, some bugs show up, while others get fixed.
v.06.4 should be the most bug-free, so just use that patch.

found out the reason
4 unfamiliar units joined and probably took over the stats, levels, inventories of already recruited units lol

edit: in elain’s recruit chap, if you put a unit in the inn it will softlock the game

1 Like

Yeah, that might happen if you’re not using the most up-to-date patch from the get-go. I think I’ve fixed all the major issues (outside maybe one or two boss conversations showing the wrong portrait, which is my own mistake rather than a bug), so I doubt I’ll be making any changes to already-completed chapters that will mess up your save anymore.

So uh, funny thing happened.
I apologise, but uh, here’s my feedback for chapters 11 through 16x, as well as some stuff I missed mentioning in my previous posts.

First off, why does every player unit just have very low luck? I think there’s a couple units at max with luck greater than 5, and they’re constantly facing low % crit chances from enemies, which is really not great. I didn’t have a problem with this, but I was lucky, which a lot of people might not be. This is again a pretty easy fix though, just buffing everyone’s luck. This is mostly an issue in Valeria’s story, but greg and horace suffer from it too.
My second complaint was with con numbers being inconsistent. It felt like everyone’s rescuing capabilities were totally random from what I expected, like the mage being able to pick up the pirate??? I don’t know why these numbers are there, but I think the best decision would be more in line with how people would think about it. This is also a problem in eliwood mode to an extent, with the main lord having 13 con. I don’t know why they need to be this heavy, and it results in only one cav being able to pick them up. In addition, I’d get rid of female mounted aid entirely if I were you, it’s very unpleasant to play with and doesn’t add anything to the game. The only units with it right now are Alex and Ema, however.
I also think that hitrates overall are far too low, especially on bosses on terrain and stuff. The boss of chapter 16 forced me to resort to savestates since the highest hit I had was ~48% displayed. There are a variety ways to fix this, though.
And my last recommendation is to port the project to FE8. I don’t think this is something you need to do and is very time consuming, but I think it would help a lot, just due to how many things are being developed for FE8.

Ch11

All these maps still are too big for how many units you get, all things considered.
However, I really liked this map’s setup! Edrick becoming the lord was a plot twist I wasn’t expecting, haha. It’s funny how he goes from being godlike to probably the worst unit in any FE game/hack I’ve played in my life by a long shot, yet still acts like a smartass.
For story here, I can sort of see what you meant, but now that I’m here I completely disagree that prologue needs to exist, as a chapter at least. You could summarize it in a few lines of dialogue or system text, and Edrick reminds the player too. At the very least it should be changed to an interactive cutscene.

Ch12

I like the concept of having allied green wyverns a lot, it’s not something I think I’ve seen before!

Ch13

Cool that you get a manakete here! I like how his mapsprite is a full size dragon, haha. I like how there’s a different way to access him besides the door, too.

Ch14

I really liked the payoff of Ema and the wyvern coming back together as one unit, it’s a really creative idea! And finally a convoy, though I don’t really need it now, haha. Still, very nice to have.

Respite

A base chapter! There’s a few complaints I have here, but they’re not like, horrible, just basic things.
First off is that the tile to seize isnt marked by an escape point marker or anything, which I would want. Secondly is that some of the talk convos are only able to be initiated by one side, which is annoying, but easily solvable by just having a second talk event to have the other person able to initiate the convo. The last thing is that there’s no visual indicator of who talks with who, and you have to use trial and error. This is a feature FE8 has easily available, but this is FE7, so I’m not sure how you would do it there.
Otherwise, like I said, cool base chapter!

Ch15-16x

Nothing much to say here, these are fairly standard maps. 16x could use an enemies remaining counter, and the fighter doesn’t turn blue when talked to with the mage girl.

Otherwise
uh
Greg
Gaelan War 0.6.4 (Ch16x Completed)-45

3 Likes

The low luck thing is honestly just my mistake. I keep forgetting that classes have a base luck of 0. Derp.

Elaine having a ridiculous Con stat is actually deliberate. She’s half-dragon, so she should be able to wield far heavier tomes than a human mage should. (Also, I liked the thought of her being able to pick up and carry her giant best friend of a pirate.)

Edrick is also supposed to have a high Con stat, but you’re right, 13 may be too high.

Hang on, does the rescue calculation work differently for female units? If so, I’ve never heard of this.

The chapter 16 boss definitely needs a nerf. I don’t know what I was thinking, making him that strong. Brian can hit him reliably, due to the buffs I gave the weapon triangle, but there really should be more than just one unit capable of hurting him.

Ch11:
I thought it was fun turning Edrick from an Athos-archetype to an early-game Est. (His growths are ridiculous though, so if you baby him long enough, he’ll probably be able to return to near his former glory by endgame, once I get that far in development.)

Ch13:
Thanks! Dragons in this hack have a bit of a gimmick. They have some of the highest Def and Res in the game, but have HP worse than your average thief. They’re ice dragons, so the gimmick is that if you can damage them at all, they’ll basically shatter. (Increasing their bow/fire weakness to x3 will help with that.)

Ch16x:
I wanted to have an enemies remaining counter. However, because it’s a fog of war map, the counter just displays a couple of dashes. If the characters can’t see how many enemies are left, the base game won’t let the player see it either.

Also, Roger, how did you get there?
And what the hell happened to Greg’s stats?! Was that a bug I never encountered, or has Greg been chosen as the second coming of RNGesus?

it’s 20-con for aid, instead of 25-con. You can fix this by unchecking the female flag in the unit editor, at least in FE8. Not sure about FE7 but it should be similar.

It’s funny, but he’s so pathetically weak that it hurts the experience a lot. He gets doubled by a lot of enemies, and investing into him helps but isn’t reliable, as well as the fact that he has to actually get kills to level up. I’d recommend buffing his bases and toning down his growths, just a bit. Not enough to make the point lost, but enough to make him not pathetically unusable.

He is the best unit by far, so I invested into him, gave him every booster, and he also got some pretty decent levelups. I wouldn’t recommend a nerf, though.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, he turned into a fighter in 16x. I assume this is unintentional.

1 Like

Huh. I never knew that. I’ll probably just deal with it by unchecking everyone’s “female” tag. (I wondered why the game bothered keeping track of units’ genders as an actual parameter. Guess now I know why!)

Yeah, Edrick needs a buff. At the very least, he needs to be able to survive two rounds of combat with the brigands in Chapter 11.

And yes, Oscar becoming a fighter is very much not supposed to happen. It’s not a bug, I’m just a dumbass who gave him the wrong class there.

is there gems/gold income that I missed?
(I had 10k gold with no shop to spend it in first arc, but 0 gold for shops in second arc)

In Chapter 15 (the only chapter in the second arc so far with shops), there are three enemies with gems your thief can steal.

(I have no idea why you start with 10k gold in Act 1, but I figured it doesn’t matter too much, so I haven’t bothered figuring out how to change it.)

so…no matter how you level up units in act 1 they join with standard stats at act 2?
and the turn 15 is a bit harsh for me, given the reinforcements keep rolling in
npc reinforcements are quite useless cuz they can’t even deal damage to the knights, even if you kill the knights they are too far to be of any help to the battle line

From what I can tell, Albert gets the stats he had in Act 1 when you recruit him in Act 2, while Oscar and Elaine don’t. I’m not sure why this is, but I’m trying to fix it.

And yeah, 15 turns is a bit too harsh when the boss is that tough. I’m going to be nerfing the Chapter 16 boss and increasing the turn limit.

The problem isn’t the turn limit, it’s the game constantly spamming reinforcements that makes the map slog, especially when there’s a lot of 1-2 range so EPing is a bit more difficult (without Greg). I was already at the boss room pretty early but I reinforcements just wouldnt stop coming out of the left side and it was really annoying.

Quick question: What do you mean by EPing? Maybe I’m just tired, but I’m not sure what that means.

Enemy Phasing. Which is just handling the enemies attacking on enemy phase.

Not really related, but I replayed it, and it feels like the map wants you to EP and not EP at the same time, with the physic priests and the raw amount of enemies it just keeps chucking at you even when a lot of your units just can’t keep up. The physic priests drag it on for longer than it needs to be, honestly, and removing them would only be a benefit.

v.07 is now released, bringing the most recent chapter up to 17! …Which is actually 16x, but renumbered.

I finished my spring semester of college, so I’ve finally had time to work more on this hack!

I sadly don’t have any new content added in this patch. Instead, I went back and fixed a bunch of issues with previous chapters that stemmed from my inexperience, most of which were in Valeria’s story.
(The big changes were making Chapter 4 less tedious and getting rid of Chapter 9 altogether, but plenty of smaller changes have been made. The details on what got changed are in the Changelog.)

2 Likes

v.08 has now been released!
This patch brings a few of new characters, a new Respite chapter, the return of some old friends, and two new maps (which are probably the best I’ve created yet, if I do say so myself!)

2 Likes

19 chapters out of how many?? is this complete??