Teq's Minor Assembly Shenanigans

thanks for the clarification, all i can do now is hope that @Kirb comes thru

1 Like

Most of my hacks can be used either standalone or included as part of a project. Usually, you’ll see a

#ifndef FreeSpace
    #define FreeSpace 0xB2B000
#endif

to allow this. I used to use Free_Space when I started hacking, but switched to FreeSpace after noticing other hackers preferred that variable. Unfortunately, I hadn’t gone back and updated my old hacks to switch from Free_Space to FreeSpace, which caused me to spend an hour debugging a rom and figure out this was a problem.

So I’ve gone back and updated all the stuff in my folder. If you’ve used the following hacks and need to update them, take heed; the variable has changed.
FE7-Str/mag split
FE8-Battle stats with animations off
FE8-Capture
FE8-Growths rework
FE8-Move and Con getters
FE8-Display growths/Talk
FE8-Show weapon rank level achieved

NOTE: You can avoid the entire issue by adding “#define Free_Space FreeSpace” (or the other way around, if you use Free_Space instead) to your definitions.

7 Likes

No problem with the hack. It works just fine.

Just make sure your emulators are either
VisualBoyAdvance v1.8.0 and above
or
No$GBA v2.8 and above

1 Like

I know this is old, but I’m trying to recreate Latona on FE7, seems impossible, It only works to an extent…I used FF for total range, but as the common fortify uses MP/2 for range, it stacks to that, it heals everybody, but only if one injured unit is in range of the MP/2 healer…So it would require an entire new asm hack to actually do a full Latona isn’t?

I don’t know if this is the best place to post this or if this is still active, but I found a bug with capturing. If a blue unit is surrounded by an enemy with low enough con to capture and also enemies that have too much con to capture, the default option for capturing will be the bottom enemy, regardless of which one can actually be captured. You also can’t change the target in this situation. The battle forecast displays the correct enemy but, if confirmed, the bottom enemy will be fought and captured instead.

1 Like

I have a problem with the show weapon rank upon increase hack. When a weapon breaks, I no longer get the pop-up window that says [weapon] broke, the sound effect is missing as well. I tested this with another rom that didn’t have this hack, and that rom didn’t have this issue. I’m using EA ver.11.1.3 if that matters. I installed this hack by using FEBuilder (I let it define a free area for me). Did I do something wrong?

Edit: I forgot to mention that when battle animation are off, the [weapon] broke pop-up window shows normally. When battle animations are on, that’s when it doesn’t show.

1 Like

I wrote this a long time ago but forgot to upload it and people find it useful.

FE8 CHAI only allows you to change AI bytes 1 and 2. This hack allows you to change 3 and 4 as well. Just use SETVAL 1 0x44332211 instead of SETVAL 1 0x2211.

6 Likes

FE7 allows custom battle animation lists for characters by using bytes 0x25 and 0x26 in the character data table. FE8 has the same function in the ROM (which isn’t called), but wouldn’t work very well due to branching promotions. Thus, this hack ports the functionality over while allowing for different lists based on matching class and character id.

Download here, read the readme.

EDIT: Seems FEBuilder already has a patch for this (seems to work the same way), called Character Custom Animation, so this is only useful for buildfile people.

5 Likes

EDIT: The bugs seem to be related to issues in my code with Reveal/REMU.

As an aside, is there a way to make it so that capturing an enemy doesn’t trigger their deathquote event?

It seems like @Tequila hasn’t been active in awhile, but I’ve encountered a problem with the FE7 display battle stats with animations off patch. It seems to be pulling the incorrect damage value for the unit receiving the attack. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and is there a way to fix this?

I’m assuming that it’s reading the wrong value from RAM. All other values (hit, crit, AS) are correct for both combatants, and dmg is correct for the unit initiating the round of combat.

Fire Emblem (U) 0% growths.2020-06-25 01.14.06
Combat preview

Fire Emblem (U) 0% growths.2020-06-25 01.14.20
Display on player phase (Hector initiates attack)

Fire Emblem (U) 0% growths.2020-06-25 01.16.06
Display on enemy phase (Wire initiates attack)

1 Like

I am not versed in this stuff, so I can’t be of much use myself. However -

SkillSystems for FE8 comes bundled with many people’s ASM hacks, such as the aforementioned battle stats with animations off. I don’t know if that version has had any changes made to it, but it might be worth looking into.
https://github.com/FireEmblemUniverse/SkillSystem_FE8/tree/master/Engine%20Hacks/QualityOfLife/BattleStatsWithAnimsOff

If the bug can be shown in fe8 with skillsystems, those who maintain it such as @Sme might be happy to help correct the bug.

However, this is for FE7. I do not know if the patch would be identical, but I’ve heard that fe7 and fe8 use the same engine, so perhaps. Someone else should know more.

I imagine it wasn’t overly tested since porting stuff to FE7 is pretty pointless, probably just an error with something’s offset

Thanks for catching that. Fixed.

Here’s a hack that allows you to split your convoy into partitions, as well as combine items when adding them to the convoy. Download here.

Please read the README very carefully. This hack allows you to expand the convoy, but does NOT save it. It should work with EMS (expanded modular save), but I don’t know if it works with other things like aera’s BreakSave patch.

24 Likes

You remember the fancy animation that Matthew uses in FE7 Ch11 Hector Mode? Did you ever want it in FE8? Well, today’s your lucky day! Download here.

It has the thief and assassin animation, as well as a rogue made by Eliwan, and even has the animations in reverse, if that’s more your thing.

16 Likes

Found it! Tbh I forgot I even asked that so I doubt you remember but hey this is awesome. Great stuff as usual Teq! Can’t wait to see what’s next.

1 Like

I did actually remember (I had a note on who requested it when I went through my backlog) but it was only because I already ported it to FE6 that I thought “huh, it’s probably not much more work to add it to 8, too”.

Hope you enjoy!

3 Likes

@Tequila I am playing chapter 17 in HHM, and for watever reason at the end of enemy phase, when one of the thiefs opens the door that leads to the chests, the game soft resets automatically. And when I try to resume the file, I am stuck. The enemy phase music still plays, but the player phase never starts and I can’t literally do anything in the file. I reseted the whole chapter again, and the result was the same when the thief opened the same door. I am playing it with 0% growths if for whatever reason it is relevant.

Edit: Same map, got quicker so that the last action would be the second thief stealing a lockpick from Marcus. Next turn I had Marcus choke the door so that the thiefs would not escape, so they stole a potion from him, and the game froze again. And if I tried to reload the file, the game would inmediatly soft-reset.

Edit2: After removing the QoL patch to be able to move on from chapter 17 HHM, reached chaoter 19. At the end of enemy phase turn 1, it never ended. Enemy phase music kept playing but player phase never started. I assume that whatever weird bug has it has something to do with the thiefs, sice they are usually the last ones to move in enemy phase.

Well, it’s been a long time coming (about 1.5 years), but here’s the FE8 text engine rework.

Download here.

I do apologize for the delay; I’d planned to add some more features, but I’ve been rather unmotivated. So after being asked for it again, I decided to finally release the engine as-is.

There’s quite a bit of stuff, so be sure to read the README, although it shouldn’t affect your existing text.

Here's a gif showing off the new stuff

textengine

50 Likes

bless your heart, your soul, and your hack