Super Chad Goes to Super Hell

I made a silly little 1-chapter fe8 romhack to help familiarise myself with febuilder! it’s more a puzzle than a traditional fire emblem map, focusing on optimising weapon durability!

chad is your only unit capable of combat, and he’s never in danger of taking damage. the challenge lies in trying to preserve uses of your weapons! it is possible to beat it without using a single charge of hammerne!

i’m very new to FE hacking so i would appreciate any criticisms or advice, but please don’t be too mean!

Super Chad Goes to Super Hell-0
Super Chad Goes to Super Hell-1
Super Chad Goes to Super Hell-2
Super Chad Goes to Super Hell-3

goes on a clean usa fe8 rom

15 Likes

i think i goofed the link, actually.

1 Like

this one should work

1 Like

Will the final boss be Cath

4 Likes

This looks interesting, Regardless of quality It’s always nice to see others creations, I hope you are able to advance in the ways you desire.

I would recommend editing the main post with the proper link for the sake of cohesion [and avoiding clutter however minimal], I find some tend to skip reading post and click right on the link in the main post.

1 Like

thank you! i didn’t know you could edit posts!

And he lived happily ever after

chad

Not gonna bother doing the 0 hammerne challenge cuz I’m dumb

2 Likes

Here is a short review
I will be reviewing this work unlike the other work I have reviewed as it is very different

I have hidden it to avoid any [however minor] spoilers as this hack is little over an hour old and I think it is best to experience art blind.

Review

First I would like to say I find a lot of the basics here quite good, while basic a custom titlescreen for this kind of project is rare and I find shows a great deal of care from the developer

Some enemies have “–” as stats, this is a result of having
negative stats, this occurs when a unit has character bases
that are below the class bases beyond zero, this is why most FE game
use multiple character data for each faction.
SCGTSH-0
If the main concern is stat variance then disabling
“use class growth” in the unit placer and removing Hard mode bonuses
or normal/easy minuses will make the unit not grow.

Originally I thought the AP was incorrectly assigned, however looking
in builder I found that Harmerne’s map animation is not centered
as such their map animations display oddly, I would recommend
centering them otherwise it can look inconsistent with other map animations.
SCGTSH-1

Harmerne having an animation was unexpected but nice.
Again showing a level of care
SCGTSH.emulator-3

I do wish the enemy pallettes where reflectie of portraits
and map sprites but it’s not a massive deal
[generic enemy palltte data is found in the animation editor]

Personally I feel this kind of challenge/puzzle hack would be
more engaging if it where kill boss and tighter on Item
usage, however it was still an enjoyable experience, although
I did use harmerne, perhaps a no harmerne run would provide
that kind of experience.

If i made this I would have made a full class reel with just
thief and harmerne. Looping for the whole thing [about 3-5 minutes].

1 Like

Fun short hack, having heard from the comments about the “0 Hammerne Run”, I decided to disregard using it completely.

There are some specific points and enemies that do hint at which weapons to use, and sometimes using Hammerne (the unit) to block pathways or trade weapons around/out has proven quite useful. It is pretty much a test of how well can you gather up the hack’s info/mechanics and use them to your advantage.

Images

No Hammerne (4)
No Hammerne (2)
No Hammerne (3)
No Hammerne (5)

In all honesty, I’ve enjoyed this puzzle experience, and wouldn’t mind more games made specificially to be treated as a straight puzzle. Putting the ‘straight fire’ in Fire Emblem.

2 Likes

thank you so much for your review!!!

I’ll definitely see about fixing those issues up when i get the chance! hammerne’s animations are all just the cleric’s animations with the person removed, hence being off to the side. but that’ll be an easy fix

i think you should make him fight the guy from supernatural who also went to super hell.

4 Likes

That requires a “CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON, THERE’LL BE PEACE ONCE YOU ARE DONE” ost in the game, though.

But cool.

3 Likes

i made a bunch of the fixes you mentioned! thank you for the advice!

1 Like