Solution to classes named 'knight'

The troubadour thing legit bothered me after I learned about it, but troubairitz sounds dope too so it works out.

1 Like

Troubadour is a bad one, but Valkyrie is much worse. There is literally a promoted class in this series that rides a pegasus (which by the way is very different from a falcon), but no, the Troubadour (which isn’t even a real troubadour)'s promotion is called Valkyrie instead

4 Likes

I simply misspelled it.
I wanted to write as accurate data as possible.

Forrest Knight is class that appeared in FE4 and FE5.
Prior to FE3, it was called ホースメン(horsemen?).
In FE6 and FE7, 遊牧民(Nomad) and 遊牧騎兵(Nmd Trooper/Nomadictrooper) will appear.
In FE8, Forrest Knight has been added to replace them.

クラス名の"フォレスト"をForest = 森と捉える人も居るが、
聖戦・トラキアは英語表記が無いため確定できないが、
少なくとも聖魔ではOPデモにて、『Forrest Knight』とrが1個多く、
別の意味(もしくはスペルミス)だと思われる。
なお聖魔海外版では、クラス名はRangerになっている。

Translation:
Some people think that the class name “フォレスト” means Forest = 森(フォレスト), but since there is no English notation for FE4 and FE5, it cannot be confirmed, but at least in FE8, the OP demo says “Forrest Knight” with one more “r”, so I think it means something else (or is a misspelling).
The class name in the FE8 foreign version is Ranger.
:thinking:

2 Likes

It gets even more confusing when one realizes that there is also a class called Forrest, which makes the connection to the english word “forest” even more unlikely.

1 Like

A very plausible explanation for “Forrest” occurred to me while I was studying Esperanto words back in the day. „Foresto” doesn’t mean “forest”, but “absence”/“be far away”. Obviously the Fire Emblem developers weren’t thinking of Esperanto when naming the class, but the language does borrow a lot of words/concepts from Latin. Maybe they found a similar Latin word for the concept of a warrior who travels far away searching for glory.

With this explanation, it also makes more sense that “Forrest Knight” is one of the promotions for mercenaries. See also: “knight errant”, the English term for a knight traveling around searching for adventure.

4 Likes

Apparently that’s how the surname Forrest is rooted, so this could actually be it, chief. Very cool possibility.