Solution to classes named 'knight'

In addition to fixing spelling mistakes, I added some data.

For Cleric, the name シスター(Sister) is used.
but on the Promotion screen it is written as Cleric instead of Sister.
The first Cleric in the FE series is Lena, so I think it’s a continuation of this tradition.

I’m not familiar with religion, so I didn’t understand the difference between Sister and Cleric.

1 Like

Mage Horse Soldier Unit anyone?

1 Like

I’m breaking character for a moment to point out that the first topic wasn’t actually mine. I checked in to FE Universe after a day of moving furniture around and realized I’d missed it, but I thought it was a hoot so I decided to prolong the fun a little.

With that out of the way, I do usually change the existing names of two classes when I fiddle around in ye olde FEBuilder:

Hero -> Veteran: I can accept Mercenary barely since it’s not hard to finagle it so that all Mercenaries that show up are mercenaries, but Hero is a bit much, and I think Veteran accurately captures the idea of an experienced Mercenary (while also being a Pokemon Trainer type).

General -> Vanguard: Listen, if you had that many generals running around on a single battlefield as frontline units, like, idk bruv. I’m not fully satisfied with this one since, even when buffed to 6 MOV, they’re a little too thicc to even be consistently rescue-dropped to the front lines, but I think Vanguard fits conceptually where your heavy armored bro oughta be (and I try to reflect this in enemy layouts).

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, why is “Forest Knight” NG? There’s no little ッ, and the word “Forrest” doesn’t seem to have any special meaning in English that I can see. Is it, like, a weird translation thingie?

Herp, well I feel dumb.

This one’s a pretty direct translation, since the JP name is Yuusha, which means hero/brave (as you might’ve guessed, it’s also what brave weapons are called, hence why some translations call them hero weapons).

1 Like

A hero is a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. So mercenaries promoting to heroes makes sense.

2 Likes

“General” actually makes sense when you take into cosideration that knight is called “lieutnant” in the Japanese version.

A defense of the existing class name is just what I would expect from GabrielKnight

Jokes aside, I think Hero makes sense in like the “Folk Hero” sense, but the general connotation of just the word “Hero” alone doesn’t really fit “promoted mercenary”, even if one could wrangle together a fitting dictionary definition.

However I don’t know enough to know if a similar connotation of protagonist-y-ness exists in Japanese. Given some of the manga I’ve read, I would assume so, but that’s a very limited sample of information lmao

1 Like

A mercenary wins a lot of fights, he’s called a hero. Easy.

I think most people would consider Muhammad Ali a hero so I guess that works.

Well not all of the Greek Ήρωας were heroic…
Also:

Hero
/ˈhɪərəʊ/

noun

noun: hero ; plural noun: heroes ; noun: hero sandwich ; plural noun: hero sandwiches

• a person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

• the chief male character in a book, play, or film, who is typically identified with good qualities, and with whom the reader is expected to sympathize.

• (in mythology and folklore) a person of superhuman qualities and often semi-divine origin, in particular one whose exploits were the subject of ancient Greek myths.

• the best or most important thing in a set or group.

• another term for submarine (sense 2 of the noun).

The fact that there’s no hero sandwich healing item is a travesty.

I think “Champion” is a good replacement for Hero. It carries the same emphasis on strength and power but with less heroic conotations.

3 Likes

I would rather change Mercenary and Hero to Sellsword and Veteran. I think that is a good change.

Similarly, I like Hero and Champion as T3 class names. I could easily see those being the final promotions for Veteran, which would give a strong progression of hired gun to powerful leader.

1 Like

I actually don’t like using the Hero class name at all. What if it’s an enemy?
For example we have Caellach, a war criminal who murders Joshua’s mother. He commits some horrible deeds throughout the game such as killing civilians and destroying the Sacred Stones, and is one of the game’s main antagonists.
Does any of this sound heroic at all?

FE’s spanish version’s class name translates to Champion, which I completely agree with. “Champion” just comes from the german word for fighter. Meaning this person is an expert fighter with victories under his belt, which is neither good or evil.

2 Likes

im, sometimes people are just the heroes of their own story, or in the views of others, but not ours. Who’s to say that those working alongside this enemy hero don’t view the deeds we see as vile as heroic and for the good of their cause.

1 Like

Fire Emblem class names don’t always make the most sense, I’m pretty sure that not only is Troubadour a french word referring to a lyrical poet, but is also usually used with male connotations, with the female
equivalent being “Troubairitz”

I like the idea of changing Heroes to be Veterans, or even changing the connotation of “Hero” by just tacking “Folk” onto the class name, also it was said a bit back, and while this has turned more into a general discussion of class names, I like the idea of “Juggernaut” for Great Knights, really makes them sound powerful and actually matches their look alot.

1 Like

Honestly, I feel as if most of the definitions in FE are only lipservice anyways. I mean, look at the Paladin-class. At least the localisation claims it to be a class of the highest tier of dedication, honor and justice. Meanwhile the class has people like Pascal from FE7.

Caellach is a hero in the sense that he is an accomplished soldier, not that he is an ideal person.
There are many, many people societies regard as heroes that are or were terrible people.

1 Like