SNESFE on 3DS [Theoretically of course]

Let’s say, theoretically, if one were to have a new Nintendo 3ds. Would that person be able to play the snesfe games on it since it can play Super Metroid? Also, do English translations of these snesfe games exist?

1 Like

English fan translations exist, yeah.

Project Naga for FE4, Project Exile for FE5, and then an updated translation patch for FE3 is also out there.

As for if the games will run on a New 3DS, they will! At full speed, in fact, as far as I’ve played! You’ll have to look into 3DS homebrew if you wanna get them running, though.

1 Like

This theoretical person’s 3ds already has multiple homebrew applications and games. Thank you for answering this theoretical question.

1 Like

I’m glad to be of assistance!

Theoretically, of course.

2 Likes

The SNESFE games came out on virtual console in japan so of course.
There should be no issues running the fan translations, though I haven’t tried that myself.

2 Likes

Okay, so lets say you theoretically also had a wii that also had homebrew applications. You could theoretically download Snes9x on your 3DS and your Wii and theoretically be able have your 3DS act as a theoretical Nintendo Switch. If you were to theoretically change the Snes9x application on the Wii and 3DS to be read games and saves from the same location, you could theoretically be playing your SnesFE games on your 3DS, save, turn it off, and then theoretically take out your SD card and continue playing where you left off on your Wii.

1 Like

Worth mentioning that the old 3ds isn’t powerful enough to properly run Snes games, which is why virtual console snes isn’t available on that hardware.

In the case of “New” systems, I have definitely run FE4 with a translation patch on my homebrew’d system.

2 Likes

I should also mention that people have gotten the SNES Classic to run the FE4 and 5 translations, though idk if that’ll help you

In any case a dedicated 3DS hacking server would be a better place to get info on this topic

1 Like

This is actually incorrect. The old 3DS can’t play SNES injections, but Snes9x on the Old 3DS is capable of running them at a smooth 60FPS with the speed up feature able to speed up the game to 80 FPS. Snes9X is better than injections anyways as it allows for Cheats, multiple savestates, as well as the ability to pop your SD card out of your 3DS and plug it into the Wii version of Snes9x to pick up where you left off.

1 Like

There’s absolutely no reason to go above 60 frames per second with anything, as far as I’m concerned.

Snes9X and blargSNES are in fact emulators that work, however, if you find a game is not compatible on either emulator, you’re tough out of luck unless you use injections, which I agree is an extremely inelegant method.

Compatibility for both emulators can be found below.
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/BlargSnes_Compatibility_List
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Snes9x_for_3DS

Snes9x has more compatibility, and is more consistently updated, so try that first. You’ll find that certain, more intensive games such as Doom have trouble running on old 3DS systems, the notes stating that they can barely pass 12 FPS without frameskip on old 3DS. New 3DS isn’t perfect, either, but it is playable.

Also, BSFE is complete unplayable, unfortunately.

It’s not a perfect solution, but for most games running Snes9x on O3DS is fine, although you’ll achieve better results with a N3DS. Anything that uses the Super FX chip will suffer on O3DS (i.e. Star Fox, Super Mario World 2, etc.).

I mentioned going above 60 because FE4 enemy phases are slow as a snail and that you could speed up the game to 80 to make it go by faster. That’s what I was trying to convey.

But yah, Playing Snes games on a N3DS is ideal but for those like myself who only own an O3DS, for just running Snes FE games, Snes9X works just fine.

1 Like