Skipping portions of a chapter [For Play Testing]

Hello! I’m working on a one chapter ROM hack and wanted to ask is there a way to skip through a chapter to test the changes i made?

For example, if the player has to fight a general with a brave lance half way through a chapter, and i mess and forget to equip the correct weapon. Is there a way to quickly be at that point in that chapter or do I have to replay the whole chapter again.

The chapter is fairly long, and it’s annoying to have to replay the start of the chapter over and over again.

• Hacking method: FEBuilderGBA

• Base Game: FE8

• Tried using save states but it doesn’t update my changes.

FEBuilder’s Debug menu has the ability to give units items on the last page, if you select the unit you will be able to give it any item, this works for players and enemies, the 2nd to last window can be used to edit units and data directly however is much more advanced.

3 Likes

Assuming you’re clicking Run Test (or presing F5) when you’re testing it should open the debug menu as FuriousHaunter said. Go to the Cheat tab and you have several options to hasten your progression to where you want to be in the chapter such as:

• Warping units (warps last selected unit)
  • setting HP values to 1 (individual units or all)
  • give items
  • max out stats (selected units or all player units)
  • change turn count
  • end chapter

Also keep in mind save states will work for anything the game loads after the save state. It’s very useful if you’re not editing anything early in the chapter anymore.

Say you save state before interacting with a village and the tile change triggers the wrong ID when you visit. Close the game, fix the event, reload the game and state. Interacting with it should show the change there.

3 Likes