Saga of Spirits: Aeon Compass

Basically we mean level design. Determining the size, terrain, units, reinforcements, etc.

1 Like

I feel like that isn’t something just anyone on the outside would be able to determine/help with; there’s too many factors (story location, player unit composition, chapter number, etc).

… Then again, you did say you were looking for people to join, so I guess they would be fully integrated into the process lol

Of course! We try make sure to get everyone acquainted with things first before just tossing them in the deep end. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Touched the demo, default keybinds are very unintuitive; eventually I found how they can be rebound, however you should at least present the default controls to the player until you can reach that screen. Engine seems incredibly solid though, I’m interested to see where this project goes.

Tried out the demo, overall i really did like it as i was always interested in the idea of making your very own army and just send them out to do stuff. Kinda do wish i can choose how my units look like instead of re rolling the appearance.

Hello again! This is our March progress update for Saga of Spirits: Eon Compass, a fangame based on Fire Emblem organized by our esteemed programming lead, Sadness/Sandy
Though school and work are keeping most of us busy, that hasn’t stopped our team from making some more progress this month! Here is a rough overview of what we’ve done so far! :slight_smile:

Current Progress:

• Art

• 37 classes and playable characters have received concept art
    • Cavalier, Pegasus Knight, and Wyvern overmap sprites completed
    • 9 classes and playable characters in production
    • Official portraits of playable cast in production
  • Writing

• Script drafted up to chapter 3x (Chapter 4 in progress)
    • Side/secondary characters currently being pitched and confirmed
  • Gameplay

• Early game maps in production (concepts and layouts complete for 4)
  • Music

• Drafting instrumentation
  • Programming

• All movement skills implemented (Shove, Smite, etc)

And lastly, you can follow our overmap sprite progress here! https://www.instagram.com/fluffylightpixels/

OPEN POSITIONS

If you’re interested in joining the team, we’re always looking for anyone who’s interested and can lend a hand, but in particular we’re currently in need of:

• Art
    • Pixel sprite animators (for both overmap sprites and GBA-style battle sprites)
    • Map terrain spritesheet/tileset creators (pixel art)
  • Sound/Music
    • Composers
    • SFX Designers
  • Playtesting
    • Dedicated playtesters, both for finding bugs and for testing game balance (preferably able to actively playtest often and follow the documentation formatting)
  • Programming
    • Programmer with a Mac and Game Maker: Studio 2 to build for Mac
  • Writing
    • Beta readers and editors
  • Gameplay
    • Gameplay focused playtesters

This concludes this month’s update! This one was a bit less meaty than the last, but expect the next one to be more substantial! :smiley:

Here’s a note from a team member!

" My name is kdports, and I’m one of the lead map designers of the Saga of Spirits: Eon Compass team. Although we have a significant number of maps conceptualized, approved, or implemented, I’m here to show off one of my personal favorites today.

This map, taking place very early on in the game, finds Farren and co. in a precarious position. Although some of the art is obviously still a work in progress, this map provides a variety of opportunities for various rewards in the form of villages scattered throughout the map. However, the drive for loot comes at a cost: reinforcements will continuously spawn at the two sets of two forts at the top of the map, and stream to the south in an attempt to overwhelm the player.

Clearing this map isn’t particularly difficult, it’s only a 2 turn walk to the boss after all. But only the best players will be able to reach all three villages and clear the chapter. Oh, did I mention that all four of your starting units are essential, and any of their deaths is an automatic Game Over?

I hope you’ll enjoy playing through this map and others during your journey through Erideill!"

Things have been slow because of some real life complications, but we’re still pushing forward! Here is a rough overview of what we’ve done so far this month! :slight_smile:

Current Progress:

• Art
    • 39 classes and playable characters have received concept art
    • Map tilesets in production - water tiles mainly
    • Official portraits of playable cast in production
  • Writing
    • Additional characters have been pitched and are currently under revision
    • Support drafts are being written and reviewed
  • Programming
    • All movement skills implemented
    • The prologue and chapter 1 have been implemented
  • Gameplay
    • Additional skills and items have been concocted and are in the process of being implemented into the engine
  • Music
    • Instrumentation for one of the three primary nations solidified
    • Sample music tracks have been composed

Shoot me a message if you’re interesting in contributing or working as a beta tester for the engine! Have a great day!

1 Like

Sorry for the silence the last couple of months - many of us have been completing school and been away on vacation! We’ve been working on this project for 15 months now, this is all the stuff we’ve accomplished so far. As the summer progresses, the team is getting more and more free time to work, so expect the next update a month from now to be especially substantial.

OUR PROGRESS SO FAR!!

• Art
    • 42 classes and playable characters have received concept art
    • 4 official portraits completed, many more in progress
    • 4 map sprite movement sets completed
    • Basic E-A rank weapon icons near completion
  • Writing
    • 4 chapters completed
    • Over 25 supports penned and in revision
    • 40+ characters (recruitable and NPC) developed
  • Programming
    • 370+ bugs have been captured and slain
  • Gameplay
    • Skill lists are completed
    • character classes trees established
    • Item lists largely finalized
  • Music
    • Multiple battle, support, and miscellaneous cutscene music drafted

SAMPLES OF STUFF WE’VE MADE!

We’ve got a lot of artists with a very diverse set of styles and talents! Take a look at some of the work we’ve done! Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/dKNMZqc

Also take a listen to a draft of a battle theme for some battles that take place in Muserta, composed by Viola Buddy.

WE ARE ALSO RECRUITING!! :smiley:

Our team is mostly high school and college students doing this casually for fun, so your skill level or time to commit doesn’t matter as long as you’ve got enthusiasm!

If you’re interested in joining the team, we’re always looking for anyone who’s interested and can lend a hand. If you’re an aspiring artist, musician, writer, playtester, or programmer experienced with Gamemaker, we’d love to have you on the team! Message me and I’ll send you a link to our community discord server.

2 Likes

Ah right, it’s worth mentioning that we also went through a slight name change to align the title more with the lore

If you’re still looking for any beta readers or things of the sort, I’m fairly confident in my writing, especially with dialogue, but I’m not experienced with things having to do with programming or anything of the sort, so that’s all I’d be able to help with. I’m pretty much in the same situation as you guys as a high school student, so my work schedule should align fairly well with the rest if you choose to accept me.

Greetings, FEU Community!! We took a temporary hiatus over the winter, but we have returned to pick things back up. We’d like to share some of our progress with you, and if you’re interested in helping out in any way, we’d be happy to welcome you on board!

SAMPLES OF OUR PROGRESS SO FAR!

• Art
    • 8 character portraits completed
    • 5.5 map sprite movesets completed
    • 20+ item/skill icons completed
  • Writing
    • World has been fully built
      *4 Chapters have been fully scripted with more on the way
    • 5 distinct in-universe factions with unique histories and cultures
    • Story framework is being combed through and revised
  • Programming
    • 430+ bugs have been captured and slain
    • Tutorial and two game chapters have been implemented
      *Check out examples of the build in action below (!)
  • Gameplay
    • Revamped & rebalanced character class list and promotions paths
    • Personal skill development is underway
  • Music
    • Additional music tracks under production

SAMPLES OF STUFF WE’VE MADE!

Here’s some samples of artwork we’ve done! Full album here:

Sample footage of the tutorial and chapter 1 our build (build still in progress; all footage is subject to change):

WE ARE ALSO RECRUITING!!

Our team is mostly high school and college students doing this in our spare time for fun, so your skill level or time to commit doesn’t matter as long as you’ve got enthusiasm! We’ve had many wonderful people come and go from our project, so even if you can only contribute for a little while, we’d be more than happy to have you. (And of course we will credit you for your contributions too!)

If you’re interested in joining the team, we’re always looking for anyone who’s interested and can lend a hand. If you’re an aspiring artist, musician, writer, playtester, or programmer experienced with Gamemaker Studio 2, we’d love to have you on the team! Message I’ll send you a link to our community discord server.

2 Likes

I’d be more than happy to playtest.
Here’s my resume

1 Like

I’ve said this once, but if you’re looking for beta readers and potential editors, I would love to join this project. I don’t exactly have a resume to back me up, but writing has always been something I’m good at, especially when it Congress to character interactions, so I could help when it Comes to support convos. So basically, I would love to help all of you on the writing front, if you feel that you could use the help.

2 Likes

Hi! This sound very interesting i would be glad to help you out!! I’m an amateur pixel artist and also i know how to code. I hope i can help in some way

Hello! I’m Rasta, a member of the Saga of Spirits Teams!

During the two years since the last post, we have made quite a few changes - the most important of all being the decision to switch to Lex Talionis, a python based fan engine that some of you might be familiar with. This decision to switch from using our own GM2 engine was not made lightly, but with LT’s robust nature and the sheer amount of versatility it has, we can make an even better game than before!

Below, I’ve attached our FEE3 2022 video, so you can see what we’ve been working on. The video showcases an older build, so you can be sure to look forward to updated portraits, new skills and items, and so much more!

We’ll aim to post a demo you can download and play for yourself sooner than later. Thank you so much for reading!

7 Likes