Pretsel's Pantry

Another double post time, this time we time travel to the future because both are ocs of people I know & I feel bad if i did them late

Day 12 & 13 submission features Renn & Mimi!
Went small scale but didnt reference any style other than referencing some yt videos on small sprite posing. It was, challenging, lack of a better term. Felt unsure if i was doing stuff right or not & doing anti aliasing felt weird which made my brain go blue screen.

Y’know those pictures with like characters that have certain parts of them blend in to the background & have the rest of their design pop out giving you a sense of form despite a lack of a definitive shape? Yeah i tried that but with Mimi’s cheery/smiley/happy face. I don’t think I achieved what I had in mind originally but I did want to focus on the expression.

Going back to playing pokemon black 2 now

9 Likes

Holy shit i forgot to post here

Doub-Tri- Quadruple post time!

We got days 9, 10, 14 & 15 submissions featuring Sherri Phoraena from Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Raidou Kuzunoha from SMT: Devil Summoner, Roy from the Smash Series & Mitsuru Kirijo from Persona 3 respectively!
Headshots this time because the small sprites blue screened my brain & had to go back to my comfy zone. I like Raidou’s expression but nailing the lips took quite sometime to nail.
I tried using a single colour for Sherri’s hair cus I was inspired from a pixel work that used only a single colour for the hair.

Now Roy from Fire Emblem Fates, theres a lot of art of him. I also remember following a roy twit artist & remembered the wholesome roy posts they posted, so i went with the cutest looking one, the Valentines outfit. I expected that itd only take a day for me to finish this, but I underestimated it & it took longer to finish Valentines Roy from Fire Emblem Awakening. Nonetheless It was fun & i think this is the 1st sprite i made that is insertable, too lazy to do frames tho

I really, really wanted to practice the small sprites since my last one & tried it on Mitsuru but with a maid outfit, because you can’t go wrong with the maid outfit. Never ever.

If you’re wondering about what happened to Day 11, which is Linebeck from Leg of Zelda, the Phantom Hourglass, which I’ve been told is the superior Linebeck & from reading his wiki, I also agree he’s the superior linebeck. I traditionally drew him cus i needed a cool off from spriting. I’m used to long in-between-breaks when doing sprite projects & other future days may also be traditionally drawn. Not quite sure if I’m gonna show them on this site tho kek

Alright time to finish pokemon black 2

21 Likes

Back again after 5 days, with now more catching up to do & might continue posting even after june because humans arent machines & we love cooldowns

Double post time, we got days 16 & 24! day 24 is an oc thus i gotta do these fellas first
Featuring Charlotte Corday from Fate Grand Order & Elaine!

I like the fgo chibi’s cus they make me go “hehe lil gremlin” whenever i look at em. Also my 1st time using the NES FE Palette & it was fun making her. The top one is the accurate one while the bottom one is the insertable version thank you for that one wan

image image
Now Elaine, i had already a meme in mind for her, which was the smug cat meme but switched it for a smug megumin ref during some banter within our group. I love expressions & i wanted to try an extreme one of sorts. Also trying out something new for the head shots cus yknow, sometimes adding the neck is wonky & without the neck it still looks wonky so have a random shape behind a character’s head. Thanks to @Jeorge_Reds for adding that shine edit on the glasses! It defines the glasses’ shape much more than without it.

I haven’t finished pokemon black 2 yet gotta grind those babies past level 60

10 Likes

Bad news, DeSmume slowed down on me all of a sudden & No$GBA also slows down alot when playing ds roms… I’m sad that I can’t get to finish black 2 anymore, & I just arrived at the elite 4 too…

Also its been 4 days since i last posted yeet
Days 18 & 21 features Yuri Leclerc from Horny Chess Game: 3 houses & Cordelia from Horny Chess Game: Bedtime
image image
The NES FE palette is fun to play with but the 4 colours per 8x8 grid rly be the tough part of it all. Thats why cordelia’s got that 2nd shade cluster below her right eye, I quite like the adding of that white shine on yuri’s face tho.

Not sure if the rest of the characters on this list are gonna get the nes fe treatment cus these 2 caused me pain but who knows, maybe I’ll forget about said pain & get back into it.

now what am i gonna play now to relax…

13 Likes

Turns out my new way of relaxing is listening to “caramelldansen but in another room” while staring at the ceiling. Try it out, it blanks out your mind for a period of time to stop thinking

Anyways finally finished with the June Art Improvement Challenge Month so here’s Day 26, 28 & 30 featuring Mako from Fire Emblem: Hiraeth, Shiny Honedge from Pokemon & Ky Kiske from Guilty Gear respectively!
“Are you upset?” “No.”

I had an idea that used 2 of Busk’s submitted characters & was also a fun one to work on. I did it in the usual style that i often do except yknow, in different shapes. Not gonna lie if i did a different pixel style of this perhaps it might look better? It often looks flat in certain areas. I tried replicating the simple hair style the art theme is doing as you can see with Mako but Ky’s hair is iconic that i don’t have the guts to simplify it while making it recognizable. Pretty proud of this piece cus it was the most fun i had while making it.

“In the name of Lunala, I will punish you!”

Rumour says that when you trade a honedge with a lunatone, there’s a chance that a different honedge will come out…
Now i was very ambitious for this one. Other than it being my own submission, which was a factor that came in later, it brought back memories of me doodling swords & weapons during my high school times & I enjoyed the nostalgia. I had a lot of ideas & even aimed for 5 pokemon crossbreeds, but i felt like i bit off more than i could chew & went with 3. It took me 3 or 4 days to complete the conceptualization of the 3, only 1 of them I’m comfortable with.

This was the finished one, which was a Sylveon crossbreed but i disliked how underwhelming it looked like. Though some discord fells thanks serif & obs mistook it for another thing which lead to the Sailor Honedge creation. Was more fun & shorter to make than the 4 days it took to create some underwhelming concepts, live & learn i guess.

Aaand that’s it folks, gonna take an art break & probably gonna go back to long breaks inbetween mugs pattern. Eventually I’ll come to the realization that i did this many sprites under a month cus it hasnt hit me hard yet but yes, this was an entertaining challenge.

back to listening caramelledansen but in another room also updated the 1st post with the rest of the pics for june art month

14 Likes

Take your hard earned break mein pastry comrade, you’ve earned it with all the quality sprites you’ve been pumping out o7

2 Likes

Mega thanks for the compliment chief :blush: & I will use that break by binging Love is War

1 Like

its been a while since i posted sprites, my internet is a shit so i cant do long anime binge sessions sadly

I found this dude in my uno deck while playing the pokemon tcg, idk why I got him but he seems kinda cool tho

Featuring: King of the Skeleton Servants

Variants: Need I say their names yes I do, Left to right, Skeleton with a suit, Sans, Dead General
image image image

Progress pic:
apparently cloth cant fold in the cool style of the card art so had to do a redo. Didn’t expect to have a crash course on skeleton anatomy inside the robes to figure out shading. It was a wip during the june art improvement & i thought itd be good practice to finish the thing.

Of course its f2u/f2e (free to use & edit) with credit, along side the variants
image image image image image

oh great now my uno deck is filled with skeletons how am i gonna say go fish now

25 Likes

oh hey is that Sans Undertale

4 Likes

Don’t commit crimes before meeting him, his vision is based on the amount of sins you’ve done

summoned skull when?

1 Like

it’s design looks hella cool, maybe I’ll make it one day when I wanna do something different

1 Like

Havent finished any of my stuff yet but i at least get to reveal one of em

If you werent up to date, Tale of Ternon got cancelled :pensive: But it was fun doin sprite work in the team even if i did like 4 mugs & help critiqued the rest of em even among the pros
Was fun while it lasted, even if it had a rough rides

It was also the time i think I started trying custom mugs, look at Timeskip Qua Sahnt for example way far from spliced Pre Timeskip Qua tho TS Qua was splice from that fe7 sword man but we dont talk about that so its a significant memory for me due to me realizing that i can do customs

Oh yeah the point of this post: Yknow that darkened mug in the op?
image “Heh… Peasant.”
It is he, Cosimo, brother of Johnathen. He’s supposed be a boss in a future chapter & lots of meme talks related to him & his brother, mostly him.

Variant: Fell Form
was inspired by Pi’s fell mugs

He & Qua were the longest mugs to finish, 1 school semester long at least

& heres the many changes this fella went through, i didnt want to work on him for the longest time cus it felt tiring to do so as someone who had a rough time making sense of pixel art as a medium didnt help that his face pops up when i open the canvas too but seeing the changes he went through and the new stuff I’ve learned, I’m hella happy

He’s gonna be part of the f2u pile, not enough smug or evil lookin f2u characters smh
Plus i like his semi spliced/ custom hair so i might do another version of him for my personal use

15 Likes

2 weeks since I last posted, thats neat. Anyways did a raffle & made a bunch of mugs but here’s something that people probably know more-

We got the chad himself, Young Gustave the XIII from SaGa Frontier 2 for @Blade

Variants: None, Gustave himself is perfect enough

Progress pic:

I didn’t save as much wips as i thought I did but boy the hair was a hurdle to get through. But after a bit of crash course hair style studying and some sprite streams with some frends I managed to do it. Very proud of how this came out, didn’t quite expect this too. Not sure if I’ll consistently do this kind of style of hair but we’ll see with the next mug I’ll put out

other raffle mugs will be in op cus i like seeing my progress

Gustave the Chad is free to use only and with credit to me & Blade cus it’s his prize/ mug

14 Likes

Oh and have these smol edits and colour alts of cosimo
He’s got no place to go other than the f2u pile so here’s the 1st variant of him in my personal art stuff

Now i gotta find a pastry to add into his name so he could fit in the family

10 Likes

His hair reminds me of chocolate, you could go with something cocoa-based. Or maybe Tiramisu.

2 Likes

Are those Cosimos F2E?

the cosimos i recently posted is personal so no, unless you’re reffering to the previous cosimo, which is yea, he’s f2u & f2e

actually the 1st colour alt reminded me of that awakening witch, so having something else to think about other than her is a good thing to hear

Tiramisu is a good name actually holy crap :eyes: I think i might use tiramisu dishes as inspiration in the next redesign of cosimo. This is a great idea

1 Like

I love him :sob: Gustave’s truly a steel blade chad.

Also Cosimo got norted :eyes:

2 Likes