Post-FEE3 Discussion and Thoughts

Unlike last year, this was an FEE3 I had to witness as an onlooker. I’d say it was pretty darn good, and uh, well, a lot of the issues from last year certainly were addressed!
Also yeah, timestamp tweak aside, I really liked those thumbnails! Big kudos to HyperGammaSpaces for the design and to the thumbnail team for assembling all of those.

The video descriptions really need some attention though. Last year, they were pretty barren. This year, they’re even more. The info about the fundraiser is gone (but with no intro video to make up for it), and so is the LPer (no channel link, no name). I’m pretty sure those could have stayed.

Moreover, this year and the last, project leads were asked to write down a short blurb describing their hacks in the registration form, but nothing was done with it. Last year, I was told that they weren’t added to the video descriptions because of a lack of time to add them in and/or touch them up. Considering this year has considerably more hands on deck, and a more tightly-managed schedule, I’m not sure why they were discarded again.

Please use them in next year’s showcase. They’re particularly useful for those LPs where the dev isn’t explicitly here to do commentary. Or when a viewer losing interest within the first 5 minutes for one reason or another may keep watching for something cool mentioned in the description.
If they need touch-ups, the 4 months schedule allows organizers to get in touch with authors as early as the registrations stage to fix it up, before they get swamped in work at the end. (And the videos are all pre-uploaded, which adds more buffer at the end.)

An intro (and/or outro) video would also have been nice, if at least to give some info on the fundraiser, maybe give a few stats on the entries, maybe highlight what made this year’s event unique, and all that.
Y’know, make it clear that this is a big managed event you’re watching.

5 Likes

While this has been my first FEE3 as I only became active in the community this year, so I’m not really privy to the horror stories alluded to in years past, I think this sentiment is important to keep in mind as far as having perspective on what FEE3 really is. It’s a run by volunteers who are taking their time to put the event together for no compensation other than just helping out in the community.

While there are things that could be done to make it better, I don’t think many people want or are even in a position to sink a bunch of money into FEhacking. Videos could stand out more if hackers commissioned a bunch of high quality, full body art of their characters to use in trailers, but if that sort of visual standard was necessary to get accepted for the event, how many presentations would there really be? And you could say the same about a lot of things. If someone isn’t going to regularly be making videos, not many will want to invest in a high quality microphone to make a single video that they’re not making any money off of.

4 Likes

To address a few common sentiments I’ve seen over this thread and over the years:

• At my most optimistic, I am generally on Klok’s side, in that I’d rather FEE3 be a way to bring people who don’t typically engage with fangames into the fold. We’re up around 30% on most metrics over the last month (~about when FEE3 started), so there is some evidence that an outside audience is there. On the other hand, most FEtubers we’ve talked to, both this year and historically, have mentioned that ROMhack content typically does worse numbers than more standard content, so it’s hard to me to commit to going all-in on that angle.

• Because ROMhack content tends to do worse, it’s hard to get the big, established tubers to take the amount of time out of their schedule to help us as it takes for an event at this scale. This means that we’re usually running on a skeleton crew of people who are doing it for their own love of the community, which is great, but also leads to things like “we do not have the resources to make an opening/closing video”. There’s a real reason that the event seems to be organized by different people every year, and that’s because this shit is hard, so we basically have a new group reinventing the wheel, every time with its own new friction and pitfalls. This year went exceptionally smoothly, thanks both to WarPath et al’s devotion, but I just don’t see it being particularly repeatable, especially if we keep growing.

• At the current scale, it’s just not feasible for the FEE3 organizers to set up LPs for everybody anymore, which I don’t really know how to solve. If I were running the event (which I’m not, for a variety of reasons), I would both mandate that everyone make their own arrangements, and also aggressively reject submissions I think aren’t “good enough” to be showcased, neither of which I see being particularly popular decisions. I really can’t see us reversing the current tidal wave of organizer burnout without at least one of the measures, and I’m with everyone else in that 80+ hours of new stuff just means I skim through almost all of it.

From my point of view, not everyone has the ability to put together their own video, or connections with those who do, but if you want your project to get views and popularity, you have no alternative but to figure it out. This is not to exclude the possibility of dev commentary – quite the opposite, you have the power to reach out to creators yourself if that’s what you want to put out. This also helps with things like the Terror of the Forest showcase, where it felt obvious that the LPer was just doing this because they were forced to, making a showcase that neither they wanted to do, nor that I imagine the submitter really wanted. “Waiting until next year, when you have more to show off and time to commit to asking for favors/learning how to video edit yourself”, is an extremely underrated option, and it would help with our bloat problem too.

17 Likes

You know, this is a good point. I definitely don’t follow all the projects out there, so you’re probably on to something!

4 Likes

Overall I thought the showcase was generally pretty good. The format of how the videos were released was done well in my opinion, considering the a good amount of the showcases were LPs. The staggered time didn’t overwhelm with back to back videos. However, the video descriptions are very lacking, little to no information about the hack or the charity going on. And by purely watching the content you wouldn’t even know there was a charity donation link in the description.

As for the quality of the content, let’s say it varied. While I know so many of us want to showcase our projects (I would have submitted my own if I felt it was ready to show at the time), there were some points in some videos which, though very likely unintentionally, caused situations that may have reflected poorly upon the game(s) being presented.

Sadly, I can’t think of an approach to help avoid this in the future without adding a significant amount of work to any party. I know this is all done on a mostly (if not solely) voluntary basis and adding a lot of work isn’t feasible to do.

But like I said, FEE3 was overall done pretty good this year in my book. I hope to have something ready from my own project to submit next year!

still blows me away whenever my mod’s existence is acknowledged by another person

7 Likes

this year is a lot better than last year, lp videos were at a max of around 1 hr length even though I prefered watching trailers, non lp content and lp’s around or under 30 minutes.

Doesn’t have to be a choice between trailer and LP, there were some midlength podcast/interview/powerpoint presentation format videos.

9 Likes

I just preferred trailers because I have less time than I used to before idk abt anyone else

1 Like

Lots of good feedback and discussion so far. I’m pretty happy with how everything played out. There were only a few hiccups, the showcases were largely good, and views and subs are up from last year. I see this as a win, and we should be proud.

There are 3 main areas I think we as a community should focus on for the event: Operational excellence, awareness, and quality.

I prepared my own post a few weeks ago focused predominantly on the operational aspect of the event, which Cam alluded to in his post.

Awareness is something I’ve been noodling on, but don’t focus on here. This is a separate issue and one that we have less control over. We are getting better organically, but there are other growth drivers we may want to try to adopt for next year.

Quality we can address more organically through strong operations. I also am working on a guide I allude to more below.

I made a few edits based on what I’ve read so far in this thread.

I want to give a big thank you to WarPath for organizing this year. I’d also like to extend special thanks to Cam, Circles, Levin, Mystic, Vesly, and Gamma, who all played a key role in supporting the operations of the event across its different functions.

Organizing a massive event like this is no easy feat, and although I was largely on the sidelines nudging folks and acting as a hype man, it was easy to see that the changes we made from last year made a demonstrable impact. The event was smoother, there was more transparency for volunteers, organizers, and community members, and there were no delays.

For this, I also want to extend a big thank you to everyone on the committees who LPed, edited, made thumbnails, reviewed hours of videos ahead of time, and the other work that you all did to make sure the event happens on time. As far as I can tell, there were very few last minute fire drills to get things done, and almost every video was in when it was supposed to be.

Despite the success of the event on the operational end, there is still a continued debate on the direction we need to take the event. The word “unsustainable” was used in our backroom discourse, and while our current setup works, it unfortunately doesn’t scale as well as I’d hoped when I drafted up documentation last year and laid out the plans to help make FEE3 easier to run in its current form. Cam alluded to this in their post as well regarding organizer burnout and the large burden placed on the volunteers.

To provide additional context around my thoughts, in 2020 there was no documentation or methods around how we organize the event, including coordination, guidelines for what we can/can’t show, and so forth.

I saw the biggest issue to FEE3’s success was operations - making it as easy as possible to make the event less burdensome for the person in charge, and also making sure that knowledge of how to run the event was publicly available so anyone could theoretically run the event as is. Basically, it’s a checklist of things that need to get done for FEE3 to run in the same way it has for most of its life.

In 2021, WarPath put this to the test. While the timeline and checklist worked, I underestimated the level of effort required to make the event function given this structure. Although the “how” for everything was well-documented and we had great committees to support the event well in advance of showtime, the effort required to coordinate and execute all of this falls on the shoulders of the organizer, WarPath.

Basically, the organizer role itself is a bottleneck, and thus draining for the person in charge. WarPath can explain more himself, but it’s a lot of work over a half-year period to set everything up, and given the growing size of the event, it is, as many would say, “unsustainable” without changes. I certainly felt this way too last year when I played a leading role in putting on the event. It takes a lot of time and the operational framework basically puts the organizer in the driver’s seat for every decision and interaction, which doesn’t scale.

Now we get to the great debate. There are a number of ways we could approach making the event more sustainable to organize going forward as the community scales.

There are three paths we could take, each with their own pros and cons. Which you think makes the most sense depends on your goals for the event and the level of effort you’re willing to put into it.

I’ll get more into my own thoughts further down, but here are the three paths I can see us taking going forward.

1) Continue the event as is and get more dedicated organizers.

Details

This option addresses the operational burden by adding resources.

This would be the least significant change. It recognizes that FEE3 is a big event for a group of volunteers to execute, and more streamlined, dedicated leadership. Instead of one head organizer who directs everything, we’d have more formal committee leaders who own execution in each of their areas and alleviate the burden of the head organizer. This is a bit more like a corporate management structure, where the CEO oversees the event, and has directors who manage specific event functions (VP of quality reviews, VP of thumbnails, etc.). We sort of had this, but it was far from formal.

The pro is that we’d continue to foster inclusivity by ensuring all participants are involved and reduce the individual burden on the back-end. It does not address any concerns about viewership or audience, nor does it address complaints around video quality. Additionally, the head organizer would instead need to work through someone to make things happen, which could be detrimental if the committee head slacks off or disappears. We are all doing this on a volunteer basis, after all, and life happens.

Overall, this option essentially means that the event remains as is and we continue investing more in running it effectively.

2) Create a more rigorous entry process for projects and use gains from recording fewer projects to make higher quality showcases.

Details

This option addresses the operational burden by reducing the number of videos/projects that require support.

This would be the most drastic departure from the current event, as we’d need to pre-screen projects ahead of time, and also invest effort into making a “higher quality” showcase model. By reducing the burden of 80 projects to half of that or less, the additional time can be used to improve each video or create a new model altogether for the event. This would ideally lead to increased viewership due to the us showing off the community’s strongest work, but also investing more in the showcases themselves to make them higher quality and more viewer friendly.

The negative part here is that this takes the burden from putting low effort into many projects, to putting a ton of effort into fewer projects. Additionally, video editing talent is hard to come by and it is time consuming. We would create additional points of failure if an editor is unable to contribute on time. On the front end, we’d also need to worry about choosing which projects get in, which is a process that will likely be rife with bias and debate, causing an increased time investment just around who can even participate.

While I am intrigued with the idea of improving the overall format and quality of the event to reach a broader audience, I’m not convinced the juice is worth the squeeze - the closest proxy we have are the bigger FETubers, many of whom often eschew custom hacks in favor of vanilla because they generate more views.

Sadly, even getting more well-known youtubers to acknowledge or give us a community post shoutout or tweet is a tall task.

Would our fate be different? I don’t have any data indicating it would, but we also won’t know unless we try. However, I don’t think we’d be able to produce something of high enough quality to risk alienating project creators and community members who are used to being in the show and having a full suite of projects to watch. We’d need to spend more time rebranding the event to reflect this change as well.

Overall, it’d be a ton of work and would be hard to execute. We have an issue with organization capacity as is, and this will ultimately add to that burden. While it does reduce the amount of projects and resources needed to make thumbnails and videos, it increases the investment in pre-screening and video development to reach a higher level of perceived quality. It would probably net out to a greater amount of time investment all in all, depending on how many projects get into the show.

Unless someone or a group of highly dedicated individuals want to manage the event and transform it, I don’t think this option is wise. We’d need a strong vision for both the show and the back-end, and I have yet to see a compelling proposal that convinces me that we can execute this type of event.

3) Reduce the amount of organizer-provided support by making the event more self-service.

Details

This option reduces the operational burden by reducing the number of things an organizer needs to worry about.

The head organizer is responsible for managing every aspect of the event. Let’s run down the list: 1) Planning the event timeline and schedule, 2) recruiting, vetting, and bringing in committee members, 3) managing committees and their progress, 4) vetting videos, 5) uploading videos, 6) communicating with participants and the public about the event to remedy issues, 7) support development of art assets like thumbnails, and 8) ensuring everything runs on time.

FEE3 operates today in a “full-service” model. Since about 2018 or so, FEE3 has scaled to a point where the LPers did not want to or could not record every project, so individuals were brought in as volunteer LPers to support. In addition, we asked people to submit their own videos if they were so inclined. As the number of projects increased, so has the total number of LP requests made by would-be participants. Organizers now had to coordinate and assign these videos to different people, ensuring they had what they needed and getting it all together. I don’t have exact data, but roughly half of the videos were handled by the volunteer LP group. The other half were self-organized / submitted by the creator directly.

In addition to video recording, the art committee needed to make a thumbnail template and crank out 80 thumbnails, often with screenshots and images that needed to be massaged a bit to work well. This was another aspect of the event for the organizer to manage.

These items alone can add a ton of time to the organizer’s plate, and require much more coordination up front than what’s needed. This proposal removes this element, and instead provides resources for hack creators to self-serve both video and thumbnail creation.

Organizers would no longer be involved in organizing an LP or a thumbnail for you, but you would instead be given resources and instructions to do it yourself or connect with someone willing to help you outside of the staff. Organizer would still be responsible for planning and scheduling the event, reviewing videos, and uploading them - all of which is a much smaller timeshare than the other parts from the beginning of this section.

By allowing participants to self-organize, we still allow anyone with a project that meets the established requirements to participate, but put the onus on the hack creator to get their materials together to showcase. Instead of FEU putting on the show, we’re providing a platform for you to showcase your own work that we will vet and ensure it’s up to the quality standard for the channel before posting.

The negative side is that it puts more work on participants to communicate and find their own LPer or make their own video/thumbnails. The assumption here is that people will volunteer to LP independently, and that it will allow creators to be more selective of who they work with and how they show off their work.

We’ve received some feedback and requests around volunteer LPers from creators and vice versa, and it may be better to allow creators and volunteers to self-organize in order to reduce any tension or misunderstandings that are caused by using FEU organizers as the middleman here.

The biggest downside to this is that it may make the event less inclusive if fewer people are involved, but at least it is the participant’s choice vs. the staff’s choice (ie I didn’t record my project because I can’t vs. FEU mods said my project wasn’t good enough for the show).

Ideally, we’d be able to set up mechanisms for creators to connect with people who can help w/ video editing, as well as channels to acquire help/support, without requiring an FEU staff member to coordinate on their behalf, then any creator should be empowered to participate.

My preference is towards the third option, as I think it will achieve FEE3’s mission statement better than the other two.

Below is the mission statement as written in the documentation thread:

To showcase ROM hacks, fan games, technical tools for hacking, animations, and other related materials to Fire Emblem fangame creation to an audience of like-minded creators with the goal of building awareness for and recognizing our work.

In short, this is a celebration of our efforts as a hacking community, and the primary audience is each other. We, the hacking community are both the performer and the main audience, and we should do our best to be inclusive of each other.

I believe in order to keep the event moving efficiently as we scale, we will need to put more on participants to show off their work, while using the FEU channel as an annual gathering place for these showcases.

I’m confident that between now and next year, we can build comprehensive guides and resources to help people create their own videos and thumbnails using a standard template. I think this will also make organizing the event much less of a burden. I could see a small group of organizers and mods informally splitting up review duties and communicating with individual participants as needed, while also creating channels on FEU for FEE3 support, discussion, and finding an LPer/thumbnail creator if you are unable to.

For option 1, based on the commitment level of some committee members, I don’t think we have enough dedicated folks to ensure the event would run on time - more people with decisioning power likely won’t make a huge impact based on my observation this year. There was still a bit of chasing we had to do to get things moving and some people who expressed interest were nowhere to be found when there was work to be done.

Option 2, while noble in its ambitions, is less inclusive and doesn’t provide a clear path for the event to launch. We would create more points of failure by relying on theoretical video editors to make trailers or beautify showcases, while also limiting who can be involved, which may cause participants to be disengaged.

That said, I think the only way to continue ensuring as many people can be involved while reducing the overhead for organizers is to make the event entirely self-serve, with FEU staff and organizers providing materials and resources for people to do it themselves, not too dissimilar from using a tutorial to learn how to use a hacking tool. While a similar proposal was discussed last year and I was against it, seeing how this year ran, I am willing to potentially sacrifice some level of inclusivity to reduce the workload of the organizer in hopes of reducing burnout.

I think it’s fair to ask hack creators to put more into getting their work shown without creating an arbitrary quality bar. If you can work to get your own video and thumbnail, you should be able to participate.

If FEU provides resources for you to build a thumbnail using a template and connect with someone who can help you record, putting the onus on the creator to figure it out is a necessity to ensuring we can run the event at this scale while helping as many people as possible participate. For half of the projects this year, it won’t be notably different since they did it themselves anyway.

I’m curious to gauge everyone’s thoughts on this. I don’t know if WarPath plans to return as organizer or not, but regardless, it’s become clear that FEE3’s ability to scale is hampered by its current operating model.

Regardless of what we decide to do next year, I will make a self-service guide. We’ve learned a lot about what makes a showcase good, and putting together a comprehensive resource to help individuals make better videos will be needed to support creators and volunteers.

I’ve been slowly working on this and will aim to have a first draft posted before FEE3 starts next year. I may reach out to some folks who did trailers and made thumbnails to help put together tips and best practices for showcases to help fill in gaps.

Overall, I am confident that by sharing comprehensive resources and creating a place for creators to connect w/ others, we can elevate overall showcase quality while both ensuring we can all participate and that organizers don’t get burnt out trying to facilitate the event.

Keen to get thoughts and feedback. Thanks for reading.

17 Likes

A few quick thoughts on awareness. We can probably break down our total addressable audience for FEE3 in these 3 tiers. They go from largest to smallest, and least likely to most likely to be engaged with the event. Think of this like a funnel, or upside-down triangle, in terms of size.

Each tier likely has a different level of interest and engagement, and FEE3 provides an opportunity to help these groups move further down the funnel into more engaged groups. This is good for the community’s growth and health long term.

Names could probably be better, but I’m thinking of this on the fly:

Tier 1: Fire Emblem fans who are unaware of hacking

This is the largest group. Chances are people in this group are relatively young. They are big enough fans of the series to watch youtube/twitch content or visit the reddit, but don’t have much familiarity with hacking at all or aren’t aware of its existence. They likely have never heard of FEU or visited the site.

This represents the “blue ocean” of potential growth for us. The closest way we can engage this group is through 1) organic growth of our FEU channel so that it is more likely to show in their feed as “related” or “recommended”, and 2) through direct promotion by FETubers with larger, casual audiences. The pins on r/fe and the threads on Serenes Forest are helpful (frankly, it’s table stakes), but we’ve seen little engagement there, unfortunately.

To address this audience, we’d really need larger names in the community to shout out the event in a more meaningful way to help drive awareness. Whenever a larger FETuber picks up a hack, there is usually a flood of interest in that thread or discord. I can see an FEE3 promotion acting as a multiplier here. Unfortunately, most FETubers do not like to play hacks and have been weirdly cagey about promoting the event, so it’s a challenge.

I hope this can change, but for now, our best bet is continuing to get more organic growth and supporting newer Youtubers who play hacks to help their channels expand their reach.

Tier 2: Fire Emblem hack players

This group are people who know hacks and have played a few. Maybe they know some of the more well-known [complete] projects, but don’t have a pulse on the community’s latest offerings. They probably have visited FEU to download projects, and may have a log-in or a discord account in the FEU server.

This group likely knows about FEE3 in some capacity. Chances are, they mostly want to play hacks that are [complete] and selectively engage with the event. They likely ignore hacks that are early stage, of perceived lower quality, or that don’t present well in the event or in their thread.

Because this is an engaged audience who has some awareness, the best thing we can do is continue to remind them of the event and put on higher quality showcases to keep them coming back. By elevating video and thumbnail quality, we can probably draw their attention more to get them engaged with a higher percentage of projects.

Not really sure how else we would engage this group further besides making it as easy as possible for them to find projects and participate in discussion.

Tier 3: Fire Emblem hack creators

This is the most engaged group. These are the folks who take up staff and organizer positions, create hacks or other assets, and are highly engaged in hacking circles. This group likely has a pulse on most of what’s being shown, and FEE3 provides them an opportunity to catch up on projects they follow or see others they haven’t looked at yet.

This group is likely going to watch most/all of the videos. This is basically anyone who is on FEU that’s ever made a thread in the projects section, joins and talks in the discord, etc. They’re our primary audience and where we likely don’t need to put much effort in engaging from a viewership standpoint.

However, making it easy for this group to participate and making the event not burdensome to orchestrate is important in ensuring people don’t fall out of this group.

All in all, I think we do Tiers 2 and 3 pretty well already, and reaching the Tier 1 audience is the greatest challenge and opportunity. However, I don’t think we need to re-orient the entire event to engage this group, but instead need to get better about sharing the event and growing FEU’s potential viewership base.

Anecdotally, we know there’s a large section of Tier 1 that likely doesn’t care to watch hacking stuff or play hacks (unfortunately), so simply reminding them the event and hacking exists is a good enough step for now. Because we don’t have a good grasp of the total % of this audience that would care about hacking, I’d rather we not treat them as a target audience in how we develop showcases, but treat them as a target audience in how we promote showcases. There is of course, a larger group above this, but this group are people who play FE more casually and don’t engage with it on the internet, so it’d be foolish for us to try and engage them in a scaled way.

I hope this rough exercise is helpful in illustrating this. Please note that the tier numbers don’t reflect quality or importance, but rather a way to illustrate least engaged → most engaged.

9 Likes

It actually kind of surprises me that hack content does worse than vanilla as far as viewer interest on YouTube. I, personally, don’t watch LPs of games I’m familiar with. I mostly watch LPs (I say watch but I usually use that type of video as background noise when I’m working on other things) of games that I have a passing interest in but don’t think I’d get around to playing myself, like Pokemon hacks.

I guess the numbers are what they are, but I’m surprised viewer interest doesn’t gravitate more toward the unknown than things like yet another GBA FE iron man or randomizer run.

5 Likes

Well some people probably prefer playing hacks themselves instead of watching others playing them. Fresh experience, enjoying the story as much and detailed as you like. Randomized runs can give you the same fresh experience with the random part + you can just skip the story, which leads to a more engaging video I guess.

I’d argue people playing hacks on YT gets more people interested to try them out themselves.

EDIT: To expand on this, people look to “trusted” names in the community (ie their favorite FETuber) to do due diligence for them and showcase them something worth their audience’s time. With many hacks out there, having a quality filter from a known quantity is nice. From my own experience, whenever a large FETuber picked up a hack in the past, their discord server exploded, so there is a huge awareness + stamp of approval aspect that comes from big people playing stuff. My channel was small and even my videos made an impact on some projects garnering more attention by this metric.

6 Likes

I feel like this is a really key takeaway in this whole debate about who FEE3 is even for. While we can put effort into tailoring the showcases themselves to be engaging for audiences that aren’t currently engaged, the methodology on how to actually go about that is mostly guesswork and runs the risk of burning out organizers and alienating the existing audience. However, just expanding the scope in how the event is advertised to people outside of FEU will introduce people to the scene as the event grows naturally along with the rest of the hacking scene. I think it’s easy to forget that in the grand scheme of things, FE romhacking is still pretty small relative to a lot of other romhacking scenes, and it’s gonna take some time for your average 3H fan to start caring at all about FEGBA hacks, and they won’t change their mind just because instead of a gameplay showcase we have 2 minute sizzle reels.

Anecdotally, I think this is why videos with very tangible connections to the vanilla games in their titles, like the FE4/5 remake video, were so popular; if that ends up in FEFanatic2007’s recommended feed somehow, or if they end up on the FEU page due to outside advertisement, they’re far more likely to click it than, say, Stratagem. It’s recognizable and familiar, after all!

7 Likes

This is probably true. I became aware of the scope of FE Romhacking about 4 or 5 years ago through an Elibian Nights LP (something connected to Fire Emblem as I knew it) showing up in my recommended videos. I was vaguely aware that there were ways to edit text and graphics in old games, but until I saw that Elibian Nights video, I hadn’t realized there were people out there making entirely new games on top of the ones I knew.

6 Likes

In case this was referring to me: Our points don’t invalidate each other.
People watching their favourite Youtuber play a hack is definitely going to give that game a boost, but as you said: Then they try them out themselves but they maybe do that instead of watching more than one episode, which would give one possible explanation to what Permafrost was surprised about.

In past years I didn’t participate in FEE3, so for me it was a first time and I was very impressed by the quality of the Events (both in organizing and polish), and the fact that it was all made by people of the Community made it very impressing ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m especially impressed, since I come from crusader kings 2 modding community, where we have a very different dynamics with the game and developers, and where modding is much well known in the community that romhacking with Fire Emblem, and still we never made those kinds of events ! So again, big congrats to everyone that made this FEE3 possible !

3 Likes

Alright, it’s time to write up my own thoughts.

Some quick hitters on some more minor things mentioned above:

• Video Descriptions: I take full responsibility for the descriptions being pretty bare-bones this year, and that’s something straightforward to address in the future. Easy improvements would be crediting LPers and putting maybe a 60 word description in the submission form or something like that. Contrary to what I’ve seen others say, there was no avenue for creators to submit a video description of any form this year. It may also help to have someone(s) whose sole job it is to prepare these, doing 80 of them is non-trivial. Additionally, content ratings in video descriptions seem like an easy adjustment to make as well.
  • Thumbnails: Thanks to the team for their work on these this year. I appreciate the feedback on how to optimize them for the YouTube format, that’s definitely something the team should take into account in later years.
  • Promotions: Our promotional team actually did get some advertising out about the event, and kudos to them for that. FEE3 was advertised on romhacking.net and on the Fire Emblem subreddit, and a couple of YouTubers such as MageKnight404 and Ghast gave us community post shoutouts for the event. All-in-all, I do think the promotions team did an adequate job. The lack of response from other promotional avenues pursued + lack of engagement by a lot who saw this advertisement can’t be put on the team.
  • Mature Content: I again take full responsibility for content that may have slipped through the cracks in terms of appropriateness this year. There is a gray area that came up this year wherein a project is correctly marked for mature content on FEU and is allowed to be hosted here, but contains content that a large majority of the community may find unsavory, and that may reflect poorly on the entirety of FEE3 itself. A content rating on videos + in submission forms and descriptions is a must from here on out, I’d think. Additionally, regardless of the direction the event goes as a whole, it’s probably appropriate to ask any project with mature content to record their own showcase and/or ask that their submission not contain mature content at all.

Now, for some more focused thoughts about my own experience with the event and some thoughts about the event moving forward.

Comments on Operations This Year
Firstly, myself and others have been organizing FEE3 since mid-May. This is 6 months in total. Personally, I’d say that, taking into account that some periods were busier than others, I’ve averaged probably 3-4 hours per week organizing FEE3 since May. This was an enormous time commitment for anyone over such a long period of time. While this year was much more organized than others and featured much more community involvement and additional hands on deck, these things come at a much higher communicational and administrational burden.

The word “unsustainable” was used above, and I do think the current format as we tried to implement it this year is indeed unsustainable. The thought of potentially doing this all over again 6 months from now is beyond unappealing to me. And unless a new group of people are willing to step up and shoulder a 6 month long burden every year, I don’t see the current format working as the future of the event.

Similar to Pandan, I’ve thought of a couple ways we could try to alleviate the burden of the current format:

1. Better defined leadership hierarchy and responsibilities. This year, I was the only individual with the authority, and probably more importantly the responsibility, to make decisions. FEU mods did step in from time to time to help, but there was not much order or hierarchy to this. The committees were a good idea, but committee members can only be expected to do what’s asked of them, not to make event-wide decisions or organize the event holistically. In the future, if we are to have committees again, I would definitely recruit a lead committee member for each team that takes on administrative duties, has authority to make decisions, and is reliable and motivated to see the event through. This would at least spread out some of the administrative burden out among others.
  2. Ask those who submit projects to do a bit more. FEE3 has always prided itself on being accessible to anyone in the community. This year, we took the first (formal) steps to gatekeep the event a little bit, those being disallowing GBA rebalances and checking each submission for audio + video quality and appropriateness.
    However, creators were still allowed to submit a patch, and then subsequently wait while the FEE3 team:
    Created an LP for the project that tried to do it justice and display the project in the way the creator intended
    Quality checked the LP by a 3rd party to make sure it did an adequate job
    Picked out an appropriate image for a thumbnail and then created a thumbnail
    This is a lengthy process for any project, and when you have to do this for 40ish projects in addition to simply thumbnails + quality check for 40ish other projects that submitted their own video, it adds up. Leaving time to do all of this helped lead to the lengthy 6 month organizational process of FEE3, which I think cannot be sustained.
    An obvious solution to help alleviate this would be to require creators to submit their own videos, leaving only quality check + thumbnail to the FEE3 team. I do believe this would also lead to higher quality showcases overall, as we may see more trailers + dev commentary LPs made by the creator, and thus can showcase a project in largely the way the creator wants.
    Of course, the obvious downside to this is that some creators may be unable to make an adequate video due to technical limitations, or may be extremely uncomfortable in their ability to do so. I propose that some kind of volunteer LP service could still be “sponsored” by FEE3 that could facilitate creators finding help to make showcases. However, it would require creators to take some initiative to reach out and find help on their own, and it wouldn’t fall to the FEE3 team to organize this. It’s a half-baked idea and I leave implementation to others in the future, but I think it has some merit.

Comments on the Nature of FEE3
Additionally, the idea of “What is FEE3?” or “Who is FEE3’s primary audience?” has been a pretty hot topic both in this thread and throughout the life of the event this year. After seeing largely how fruitless efforts were this year to engage a larger FE audience with the event (Reddit sticky thread was largely ignored, many FETubers showed no interest in promoting the event), I think very massive changes would be need to be made to the event to reach a more “casual” audience, moreso than we even might realize. Even in a world where we had 80 trailers in FEE3 made by professional video editors, I personally don’t think a lot of the wider audience would care to engage much with the event.

I think the future of the event should be “by the hacking community, for the hacking community.” I am largely against any suggestion that omits projects on any basis of “quality” aside from physical watchability or appropriateness, and I think omitting projects on any criteria that isn’t an objective one such as “Is this a GBA rebalance?” or “Is this chapter playable from start to finish in a technical sense?” is a slippery slope. I also don’t think that omitting “lesser quality” projects will really help the event much at all in terms of viewership, as I don’t think the broader audience will care, and those that do watch already can pick and choose what they care to watch.

I volunteered to run FEE3 this year not to help expand the event or grow the FEU brand, but to make project creators themselves feel valued and special. There is something really cool about seeing a video about something you made go live and, for a brief moment, largely capture the attention of this small community. FEE3 was never about showing “Hacking’s Best and Brightest”, it’s meant to show what people have been working on this past year. Maybe that’s polishing a near-done project, maybe it’s something still in the early stages, but both are presented with pride. It was an honor to be a part of that this year.

Future of FEE3
So, after all that, what do I practically think the future of FEE3 is? I think it’s pretty simple:

The future of FEE3 will be determined by whoever gives a damn about making the future happen.

This event has only ever been able to happen because of the tireless work and organization of volunteers. I am pretty burnt out this past year from running FEE3, and I doubt I will be involved with the event in any substantial way next year. Whoever wants to step up to the plate and make the event happen will likely be able to make changes as they see fit, whether I (or the community) like it or not (although Cam may have things to say if you do something substantial to sully the FEU brand). I would challenge those in the community with a heart for this event to not just share their thoughts in threads, but to volunteer their time to try to make FEE3 changes a reality.

Thank you all once again. If you’ve made it this far into the post, I salute you, and now excuse me as I disappear to restart development of my own project, which has largely been on hold for 6 months.

28 Likes

I, as a no-name random creator am honored by your effort, and this sentiment in particular. I really did feel valued and special. So I offer my most sincere thanks.

11 Likes