New sword ranged attack for existing animations project

Hello FEU!

As a pixel and an aspiring animator, I’m always thinking of different ideas for creations. One thing that I’ve been thinking about for quite sometime now is to relation to my own FE project, but something that can help with making FE hacks more unique!

In terms of custom of animations, there are a lot good custom ones, but there is one certain animation that I’ve rarely, and it’s honestly surprising! Swords in FE are known for using casting animations for ranged attacks, because it’s fairly easy to make poses for and it doesn’t take a lot of work. However, in some rare cases like Roy and Zephiel, they instead use a slashing animation for ranged attacks. Heck, in Roy’s cases a casting animation would be better considering the type of effect used for his prf, but IS went the extra mile to give a slashing animation to the weapon to show how special it is. It’s not until the Tellius saga that slashing ranged attacks were more frequently used for ranged swords, and after that, was never really used again.(Not counting Byleth’s Creator Sword cause it’s a whip sword)

So why the intro? Well, if it wasn’t obvious, I want more of these animations to be a thing in GBA FE, so I plan on making secondary slashing animations for existing sword using classes! What mainly inspired me to attempt this was the fact that there are sword wave animations in the repo, but no real classes that can take advantage of them. Also, as a bonus, this would be great animation practice for me without having to make a whole sprite from scratch.

I don’t want this to be one man show, though, so if anyone wants to contribute to this idea, whether it’s scripting, sharing ideas, or even making some animations too, feel free to do so!

Also, at least right now, I don’t plan on making custom animations for ALL the sword classes available(too much work lmao). I primary wanna focus on all the animations for my own project, as well as some others that I just think would look cool. Also, I work at a steady pace so progress won’t be frequent.

Projects:

1. Myrmidon Edits by Leo_link

Sword_000
Sword_000

1. Mercenary Customs by SALVAGED

Sword_000
Sword_000

Completed:
NOTE for scriptors: Function like light brand animation, so the melee attack for the original must be included!

1. Villager(male) by Nuramon

Sword_att

F2E with credit! Download frames here!

8 Likes

Reserved for community contributions!

Well, isn’t this a surprise! I haven’t forgotten about this project; last year was just rough for me in terms of actual focus. Anyways! The first WIP for the Villager’s Ranged Slash attack is here! Right now it’s only the keyframes, but I want the motion to look practical before adding all the bells and whistles.
FE CusAnim_VillagerWIP 1_22_24

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

7 Likes

FE CusAnim_VillagerWIP4 1_24_24 FE CusAnim_VillagerWIP4.1 1_24_24
The framing of the animation is done; just need to tidy up the frames. Not sure which version I should go use for the final animation tho. For those who can’t properly see, theirs a difference in far foot in the animations

4 Likes

FE CusAnim_VillagerWIP2 1_25_24
With feedback from the FEU discord, The initial framing is done! Now to clean and make critical frames!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s coming together.

3 Likes

This looks great! What do you have in mind for the critical?

Gonna keep it fairly simple: just a blink, then the sword glows and he/she attacks

1 Like

Interesting. I think it could be interesting if they drew a heavy breath right before striking, like with Amelia’s recruit animation

That’s actually a great idea!

2 Likes

Sword_att

Aaaaaaand it’s done thanks to various feedback from the FEU discord! Will add to the post soon!

6 Likes

First post updated with future projects and download of the animation frames! They need to scripted with the normal Villager attack, so keep that in mind!

2 Likes

Do you plan on doing the female villager respectively? I’m liking what I see here.

I do! I’m pretty slow at editing tho so it will be a bit!

1 Like