N426's Mediocre Sprite Works and General Bad Ideas

Awakening

Warrior Realm
This one is hot off the press, and again uses my snowy palette, this time getting to show off some lovey trees that actually fit the map scale. The unorthodox shadows are a result of more closely trying to mimic the actual Awakening map, which I think turned out pretty neat.
Warrior Realm 2

Forseer
A darker palette and plentiful use of the torches. Since the default stronghold tileset torch doesn’t work well with shorter walls, I tweaked the small flame Flasu added and made a proper fitting torch for this height. The large torch flame I though fit pretty well as a fireplace for Emmeryn. That was a fireplace in that little room right? Only shaded the wall obscured by the chest in the room, because contrary to any map with torches, well, that’s just how light works. I also still need to add animations to the tileset…
Foreseer (side wall torches)

Infinite Regalia
A pretty simple map. Mainly an excuse to use the treasure tiles again, even though the actual map just used boring yellow floors for those top rooms. This makes the regalia feel slightly more infinite I like to think.

Death’s Embrace
Another simple DLC map, and only took about 15 minutes to make. This is the one where any unit on the lower floors HP was reduced to 1 at the start of every turn. I thought the ‘X’ tiles fit particularly well with the spikey floor gimmick.This also gave a good opportunity to use the large bonfire tiles which pretty adequately mimic the large standing torches in the map and maintain a perfect 1:1 scale.
Death's Embrace

22 Likes

These are fantastic recreations. We shall watch your career with great interest.

1 Like

Fates

Kitsune Lair
This map started out as me trying to make something out of the Western Isles tileset, after realizing how nicely it would play to a very autumnal palette. Some of the textures fit particularly well as big piles of leaves as opposed to rocky terrain they’re known for. I soon realized that the Western Isles tileset was eerily similar to the Fields, and ported over what I had of a palette so I wouldn’t have to add a ton of new tiles; I am incredibly lazy after all… I still would have liked to add some more red to the palette in the form of leaves and additional trees to make it really pretty, but ya know, that’s more work. Still pretty happy with how this turned out, and I really do love this color scheme.
Kitsune Lair

Camilla
This was actually one of the first maps I made in this little mapping binge I’ve been on since we finished the stronghold tileset, which this started out using. It fit incredibly well here, but obviously lacked some of the key clutter pieces from the village tileset which I swapped to here. A little bit of palette tweaking, and a couple more custom tiles created from the existing tilemap really completed the black market sewer aesthetic. This map is perfectly 1:1 with the original aside from the top four rows, because I like adding details coincidentally useless to gameplay if you haven’t noticed yet.
Camilla

Abrupt Clash
Nina’s paralogue. A spot on 1:1 map, as long as the “table” tiles are changed to fence or something similar. Most notable feature is probably the checkered floor, which is simply made up of tiles from the tops of walls using two different palettes. Speaking of palettes, I initially tried to match the original, but that didn’t turn out too hot without having to repalette a bunch of tiles. File that one under bad ideas.

Abrupt Clash

Spoilered for your viewing safety

Abrupt Clash palette

17 Likes

Those are cool renditions of Kitsune Lair and Camilla, but I will never forget the PTSD that actually playing those maps gave me.

Do you, by chance, do commissions? If not then do you could think you could give/sell the tileset files you used to create the Repatriation map? I’ve been looking for something like that for the longest time and it’s surreal to see someone create one of their own volition.

Commissions? Kind of. I’m more than happy to help you or anyone on improving their own mapping abilities/design work. Feel free to DM me. All I’d ask in return, is any sort of financial compensation anyone would be willing to give, is instead given to a charity or someone who needs it. And how would I know if you do? No idea, but I’ll leave that on your conscience if you choose not to and ask for my help anyway.

I feel like with mapping, there’s only so many ways you can adequately create a final product, but there are many different ways to get there. Now, I don’t care if you go and recreate any of my maps for yourself on your own accord, because that will at least help you familiarize yourself with the process, and perhaps better yet, find your own way of doing so. Odds are, you’ll find your own preferences to create, and that should be the real goal. Mapping Most of this stuff isn’t too difficult; like most things, it just takes practice, and a little patience.

All that being said, the tileset I used to create most of these maps that I won’t shut up about is the updated Stronghold tileset made by Zoramine, myself, and Flasuban, which can be found here: Updated Stronghold Tileset

One small thing to note is that I currently do not have the fences in that data yet, but I do plan on cleanly adding them for a public release in the nier future (I took out some other tiles to add them in my version). While you won’t immediately find all of the tiles I used available, everything can be created using the bits and pieces of the tilemap data. Get creative.

TL;DR: Better analogy: Give a man a fish, and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you’ve fed him for a lifetime. something something it’s the journey, not the destination, but I’ll help ya on that journey.

5 Likes

I think I can learn placing the tiles on my own (Hence why I just want the tileset), but I’d rather not have to worry about the headache of creating a mapchip and metatiles. As for the reason I asked if you did commissions, it’s mostly because of map sprites and battle animations which I also don’t want to worry about having to do myself.

As for the fences, I can wait. The main reason I was interested in the Repatriation map was because of that fountain you start at and I’d like to be able to have ALL the tools I need to recreate something like it.

So I just came to realize that my splice narrowly won the latest round of the splicing competition, so I decided to make a map to go along with the mug. The theme being “Temple Guard”, I made a nice temple for this masked figure to guard.
Temple Guard

Can anyone guess what this ruined temple is based on?

Here's a hint

I did cheat and add the palm trees using paint, but thanks to Flasu’s palette magic, they can very be easily added using palette 3.

*I was gonna post Gaiden or Three Houses maps today, but I didn’t like how they turned out, so you get this instead.

16 Likes

Took a bit of a break from GBA FE stuff, but I’m back now, and with some more maps recreated to varying degrees of adequacy.

Following a Dream
Once again using my PoR Repatriation palette to serve as the main road to Gareg Mach. The village tileset may have fit a little better here, but I may update this map with a big something that the village tileset doesn’t have as well as the other variants…

Fodlan’s New Dawn
Pretty simple recreation with the oft used purple-water fields tileset. Didn’t feel like making new tiles for the rocks coming out of the swamp, but I think this’ll do. The dark default sand color also works wonders for the drained swamp which I conveniently haven’t fully made yet. Ignore the bridge part.
Fodlan's New Dawn

Oath of the Dagger
Another pretty simple one that I think turned out quite well. I’ve added a handful of new tiles to the castle tileset and got a little sneaky with a palette fix which I’ll post in a few days. Also made some nifty gazebos completely from scratch to match part of the unplayable part of the map, as I tend to do.

To the End of a Dream
Perhaps my favorite of the bunch and certainly most visually striking, behold the versatility of the stronghold tileset. I think this one pretty much speaks for itself, using the lava as charred earth, or rather charring earth. I’ve got an update coming to this tileset shortly as well with some other additions.
To The End of a Dream

Hope you enjoy; or better yet, get some ideas for your own maps. Stay tuned for some tileset and palette updates I’ll be posting relatively soonish. May post some more of the map sprties/class cards/animations I’ve been hoarding too eventually.

24 Likes

Oh look, I remade some more maps for your viewing displeasure, since I’ve nothing better to do with my time. Take a couple seconds of scrolling to distract yourself from the current goings-on.

PoR
Moment of Fate pt 1
I seemingly have no recollection of this map, but it looked easy to make and I could use the banisters/pillared walls the Tellius games so prevalently feature. Little repalette of the dragon carpet using the floor colors to emulate the horse mosaics of the original. I also noticed that the og map had quite the height error with two extra rows of stairs on the two most outboard staircases (not shown here).
Moment of Fate pt 1

Moment of Fate pt 2
At least this part I remember. Real complicated, this one.
Moment of Fate pt 2

Solo
The one with the priests.
Solo

Radiant Dawn
Marauders
Let’s put a bunch of cavalry units on a map with a bunch of ledges. Still my favorite Crimean knights chapter though.
Marauders

Revelations
Featuring a nice fireplace for Oliver, and plenty of the railing tiles that look close enough to the many pillared walls of Tellius.
Revelations

Shadow Dragon/New Mystery
These are probably the two series entrants I’m least familiar with, with only one playthrough of SD (that I don’t even remember if I finished) and never trying NM. Something was a bit off putting to me about these games besides the graphics. Looking back, there were some pretty alright looking maps at least.

The Alterspire
Don’t really know the context of this one but thought the stronghold tileset fit it well what with the new torches. I particularly like how the torches facing right don’t have the typical wall shading and actually look likey they’re producing light, albeit just on one tile. Pretend the blank tiles at the top are clouds.
The Alterspire

The Lair of Fire
Yep, stronghold tileset.
The Lair of Fire

Awakening
Disowned by Time
Thought those tiles worked well with this map and more so with this palette. A bit reminiscent of FE6 14x.
Disowned By Time

A Shadow in the Sands
Laurent’s paralogue, a few creative liberties taken on this one…
A Shadow in the Sands

Fates
Bitter Intrigue
Surprised I haven’t seen anybody figure out how to get the barrels to work with grass tiles yet, or carpets for that matter…
Bitter Intrigue

Another Trial/Fort Dragonfall
I wanted a second Fates map, does this count as a third as well?
Fort Dragonfall

Echoes
The Dragon’s Maw
I pulled an Echoes and stuck too close to the original by keeping the random fort in the lava. I’m sure someone more well versed in mountain tiling could do justice to get the volcano slope affect I was going for, particularly on the lower right side.
Dragon's Maw

Duma Temple - Berkut and Rinea battle
Are those… animations I see…?
Duma Temple gif - Berkut Rinea

If you’ve made it this far, congrats I guess. Stay tuned a short bit longer, tilesets to follow soon.

27 Likes

To be honest, I actually quite like a lot of the stuff you’ve got here- personally, I’d say a good few of these are, at the very least, perfectly servicable for hacks or anything of the sort (Speaking as an unprofessional sprite-artist or splicer here). Some of the ones on the far right look a tad iffy, but the ones on the left look pretty good (The old dude especially I like the look of).

As someone who’s never done animations or anything of the sort, I wouldn’t know how to even start here, but if I saw them in a proper project, I wouldn’t exactly be upset, y’know? Don’t look particularly janky (to me, mind you)

I’d definitely say what you’ve got here has potential!

Someone’s been having fun with the stronghold tileset. I like what I see so far, and I’m glad you’re adding tile animations in.

2 Likes

I love the Improved Stronghold. Any chance of the tile anims for it becoming public soon? Hoping to showcase a map that uses it for FEE3 this year.

1 Like

Yes! They’re on their way! @flasuban is currently putting the finishing touches on the tileset update/animations. We keep getting distracted and working on other sets, but we should release Stronghold shortly, and definitely before FEE3.

Here’s a consultation frame as a reward for your continued patience: 0

4 Likes

Figured it’s been a while and I should post something what with FEE3 soon and all. I was planning on posting a new class I’ve been slowly working on: multiple variants of map sprites, class cards, and of course, animations since Zora recently posted one. But I’m lazy, so the past few days I fell back on what I do best a lot: poorly remaking old maps not meant for GBA tilesets.

I’ll actually start with something other than one of those. This is the test map I made when I was ruining Gamma’s desert bastion set, and trying to turn it into a tropical island/jungle set.
island

Demake time
Path of Radiance: Gallia
Partially an excuse to try and use some of the new tiles I threw into my updated village tileset. I really have to apologize for those mountains though, I’d normally consider myself resoundingly adequate when it comes to mountains, but these are just rough to work with. Please distract yourself from viewing them and instead avert your gaze to the castle abomination. Or perhaps drunkenly sing a jolly ol’ sea shanty down on the beach. And speaking of drunk pirates and sea shanty’s, has anyone figured out what my village palettes are based on yet?
Gallia

Radiant Dawn: Winds of Rebellion
Yes, the chapter when two farmers have to defend their village. I didn’t add cows to the tileset, so they farm barrels instead. Come to think of it now, I could have put the animated horse sprites into the tileset… Think about that instead of whether or not those cliff heights make any sense.
Winds of Rebellion

New Mystery: Two Sorcerers
I wanted to do something with my castle tileset, and this was a perfect excuse to use the portcullis, even though those stairs are open on the actual map. Anyways, pretty simple this one, I added some more pronounced towers along the corners to spice it up a bit. Also add crenelated shadows that don’t really match up with the castles crenelations, but whatever, they look neat. Oh yeah, I also gave it a warm fall palette, tis the season after all.
Two Sorcerers

Awakening: A Dual Disgraced
This was a real quick one, since I haven’t used the stronghold set in a while, partially because the animations are a little broken and I need to redo some of them before finally posting those for everyone. I thought this would turn out a little cooler than it did, oh well, carpeted stairs.
A Dual Disgraced

Three Houses: Legend of the Lake
Jumping ahead a bit to Three Houses, the neat looking chapter with the turtle monster boss. I never knew this map even existed until my third playthrough. Not much to say here, but some of the stairs are weird, may fix that when I get around to ruining this tileset.
Legend of the Lake

Also 3H: Derdriu at sunset
Have to keep showing off my village tileset, and what better way to do it than with a boat map? The boats don’t look too awful shrunk down to this size, and the city is a little small for the capital of the Alliance, but I’m pretty happy with this map overall.
Derdriu Sunset

Still wanna see that new animation do ya? Well, eventually. But in the meantime, you can expect THREE fully custom animations Monday morning, dark and early! (hint for one: my profile pic. maybe.) “But your animations suck!” you shout! Fear not! There should also be another 7-ISH maps in the 2ish kinda chapters I’ve prepared, if you prefer that sort of thing. Hopefully, of course. I haven’t seen/heard anything about my entry so I assume all is well? Well enough to be on day 4?

My dumb self requested a 12am time slot, before actually getting a 6am slot and realizing I’m up that early anyways for work. That said, I’ll make the effort to join the video chat if anyone wants to watch all my progress get torn apart with me!

Edit: Looks like we’re not doing premiers with live chat; I’ll still try to keep an eye on the comments and add to what’s going on in the video/respond to any feedback.

Also, forgot to say big thanks to the FEE3 team taking my submission well past the due date!

Duh da da duh!
1 Frozen Throes Title

26 Likes

Your amazing at almost everything I see you do! I guess you really give it your all.

1 Like

So, I’m curious. The moving map sprites, is there a reason these four look so different from the others? Is this unintended, unfinished, something else?

https://i.imgur.com/PLKSEIJ.png

2 Likes

I think those are the frames used when the class moves up, or a view of it’s back, with it’s backpack taking up alot of the sprite

Hm… you’re probably right. The map sprites also don’t include left/right moving frames tho. Oversight, maybe?

They do. The first four frames are left/right moving frames. Don’t blame you for thinking they look like down frames since they look very similar.