Minirant: Is it bad to try too hard to make a hack look too visually distinct?

I think a lot of people are kind of forgetting an age old philosophy.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Too much visual difference for the sake of visual difference can be harmful, especially since vanilla FEGBA’s layout is perfect for the game they were designed to be. Naturally, as we decided to make things more complicated mechanically to show off what we can do, we also decided to make the presentation more complex in turn. While I understand this, sometimes there’s too much detail and the eyes don’t know what to do because the presentation has become so complicated. Overuse of narrowfont, which is best used for text that just needs to squeeze in there, and using modular minimug boxes are prime examples, not even mentioning intricately-designed status backgrounds.

While these aren’t inherently bad, what’s important is achieving a comfortable consistency that can be genuinely appreciated. Start by stripping down the pretty colors and designs down to the bare essentials: their purpose, size, and placement. Not only do they have to appear good alone, but the way they interact with one another is very important. These three are absolutely vital, as assumptions can be made about importance and association by the size and placement of GUIs. Since there’s a limited amount of screen space, what you put and how large you make it will make it seem more important; it will seem less important if it is the same size, placed adjacent to assorted “junk” data, which is why I feel many modular minimug boxes fail, as the way vanilla does it is just fine. It doesn’t need to be different to be good.

What you should prioritize is ease of use before everything else. Generally, I feel like what you have is actually pretty good, but the overuse of narrowfont is what throws things out of balance, as now the names of the combatants and items are much smaller than the data given, as well as create empty space. That isn’t to say it’s wrong; there are effectively infinite ways to use the space available to you, and the best thing to do is to experiment. If it doesn’t seem to work out, perhaps something is fundamentally wrong and you need to decide what. When in doubt, consult what does work and take some notes.

4 Likes

Nat i’d pick your work over the masses of plain looking stuff floating around in a heartbeat, a bit of eye candy always helps get people interested

8 Likes

Pretty is justice

3 Likes