[LT] Project Lose (Working Title) Five Chapters (Soon:tm:)

The Premise:

There’s an ‘evil’ empire invading a ‘good’ kingdom (yeah, that trope); but you’re in no position to worry about that large scale, epic adventure… You’re playing as a bunch of villagers in the first town invaded who try (and ultimately fail) to hold their own against the empire’s army. It’s a tragedy with two endings: a bad ending and a worse ending.

Features:

• 5 Chapters
  • 14 Playable units (including an Arran/Samson split)
  • Small numbers and overhauled equations
  • Skill minimalism:
    • No skills on enemy generics
    • Personal skills per playable unit
  • A story (to be) written by Xilirite
  • A soundtrack composed by yours truly
  • *Art made by other cool people!

Map Theme 1: Looming Tempest (by me :^D)

Screenshots:

Art Stuff:

Personalized visit events (1-2 per house):

Lootable dead people!

Balance? We’d rather have cool skills:

RD-esque supports: One partner, one support tier, one-way support bonuses. Supports are reset on unit death. All you need to do is deploy both units and they’ll be able to support in the following chapter!

Achievements! 40 of them, all implemented. Complete 39 of them to unlock the secret bonus level!

What’s Done:

Almost everything except the script and about half the portraits! I’ll update the .exe when the game is complete, until then if you want to play the full game you can find the git repo in the discord server.

.Exe Demo Download:

Chapter 1 Demo

Discord:

Discord Server

Soundtrack:

Doot

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsYVPvQDtFhv-LJ-3LDaU9s3kabwIkr1i

Will update the OP as I go…

22 Likes

I never thought I’d see the day where someone actually used one of my portraits pogggggg

I hope this turns out well for you!

7 Likes

get good lmao

1 Like

Lose…

1 Like

Is this loss?

2 Likes

Update:

Hey all, progress is going great!

• The current patch in the discord is playable up to (and including) chapter 4!
  • The OST is 3 tracks away from being complete

What’s Left To Do:

• Our script writer is still busy with other work so the text mostly consists of filler
  • I’ve got 3 tracks left to compose for the OST
  • Art (…a lot)
  • Misc. Stuff (inserting spell/map anims n whatnot)

We’re always looking for art people! There’s a lot of portraits and skill icons left to be done; as well as other stuff like battle frames, stat screen, menus.

Feel free to join the discord if you wanna jump in on the playtesting or contribute art!

1 Like

Not sure why, but I’m unable to join the discord.

Not sure why that is. Discord is telling me the invite is valid and other people have joined since. I’ll DM one.

Hey all, soundtrack is done (I suppose):

OST on Soundcloud:

MP3s on Dropbox:

4 Likes

Updated the OP to include new screenshots and info. Progress is going well! Expect a full release early in the new year.

4 Likes

I’ll have to add this to my list games to play :grin: I do like the smaller numbers, it’s nice to go to when a lot of games (including my own lol :sweat_smile:) are having bigger and bigger numbers haha :laughing:

1 Like

Hey all, progress update:

Firstly, the .exe demo is incredibly outdated, I wouldn’t bother with it.

What’s New:

Game Modes:

There’s 3 difficulties: Normal, Hard, and Lunatic (with Lunatic being the canonical Lose difficulty). On top of that after you clear the game once you unlock: Reverse Recruitment and various Weapon Reversal modes.

Reverse Recruitment works like any other project (I think), where the order in which you recruit your units is flipped and autoleveling 'n whatnot are done to adjust units. On top of that, unique character house visits are moved around according to who swaps with whom.

Weapon reversal modes include Weapon Reversal and Double Reversal for both player and generic enemy units. Here’s the kicker, you can use any combination you want for these modes (e.g. Reverse Recruitment + Player Weapon Reversal + Enemy Double Reversal). In weapon reversal bow users become staffers and vice versa; in double they just flip back to their original. All playable units have their Prfs weapons change according to the mode.

Art Stuff:

I’ve gone through and overhauled almost all the UI stuff, here’s a few:

Battle Forecast:

Combat UI:

Level Up Screen:

Minibox (team dependent):

Portraits:

Portraits are coming along nicely! Only a handful left to finish up!

Them Mugs

blue: Levin
red: Plant Academy
purple: Cygnus
turquoise: LittleKyng
green: Vlak
pink: Fuyu

Audio:

I’ve went ahead and made 2 alt map themes for each chapter that you can swap between via the Jukebox option command after you’ve cleared the game once.

There’s a whopping FIFTY in-game achievements to unlock:

What’s Left To Do:

• Writing. Lot’s of writing. But our writer is still busy with other works.
  • A few portraits
  • Some Engine hacking
  • Smaller art tweaks
  • More playtesting, I suppose
8 Likes