[Lex Talionis] Absolution (22 / 32 Chapters)

Before I ask my questions let me say that I am really enjoying this game so far. By far one of the more enjoyable projects I’ve experienced Gameplay and Story-wise.

Every character that I’m using feels really good to use and the skills never feel useless. No one character is really carrying my team. The kills and damage just seem to spread out naturally and everybody contributes and I like that a lot

The supports that were done when I was playing were all great. Whoever is writing the characters and story dialogue is doing a phenomenal job.

The maps and objectives are fun and clearly have a lot of time put into them.
The character portraits are polished and everything just looks great.

All these things come together to create what I think is an S-tier project and I cant wait to see where the story goes.

Onto my questions

I have finished the build that went up to chapter 10.
How do I go about installing the most updated version of the game so as to not lose my progress?

Also, do characters have unlimited supports in this game?

1 Like

Idk it might be just me but I found the difficulty to be fair and leaning towards the easier side tbh and I haven’t even promoted any units yet. like I really like where it’s at right now. There is enough tension in every map for me and if it got easier I feel like that would hurt the experience.

Heyo! Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you’re enjoying the game so much!

Unfortunately, your old saves from the build you played on won’t be compatible in the most recent version of the game. I apologize for the inconvenience. For future reference though, there’s a section in the original post labeled “transferring saves” which should have all the information you need on how to update.
I should also mention that the next update will almost certainly not be compatible with saves from the most recent build either. This won’t be the case for every future update, but the next one will change some fundamental stuff that will bork old saves.

Yup! There is no support limit in this game.

Thanks for the feedback! I understand your concern. My goal at the moment isn’t to make any of the chapters substantially easier per se, but rather more approachable if that makes any sense. Striking a balance between making a game challenging and making it accessible is always tricky, but I’m going to try my best.
I plan to flesh out the other difficulty modes once normal is complete, so if you do find that future updates make the game too easy, hard mode will hopefully provide the kind of challenge you’re looking for!

Thanks for checking out the project, and sorry again that your saves won’t be compatible.

1 Like

Aw, that’s a bummer but oh well.

Neato this will be helpful for the next playthrough lol. I was using mine like traditional GBA supports 5 per unit

Np! this game is a joy and I’m happy to share my thoughts.

1 Like

I wanted to say this is really well done. The assets are incredible across the board and I think the difficulty is in a decent place. I am really looking forward to the remaining chapters and future development. Great job!

4 Likes

Curently in the middle of a second playthrough (though this is a different version so it’s a lot different then the first one) and my lord is Gabriel good. Enemy phase god.

1 Like

I dont know if this is just me but the program crashes whenever i hit cecile and agnes’ C support

Yeah, this is a known bug. It will be fixed in the next update whenever it comes out. For now though, if you press the start button quickly enough after starting the support, it should avoid the crash. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Just finished the latest build and wow I’m even more impressed than I was last time. looking forward to the next release

4 Likes

Heyo! New release time!

Lex_Talionis_2022-01-22_19.07.14.978600

Absolution v.0.3.22.0 is now live! 10 new chapters have been added since last time, consisting of 8 regular chapters and 2 gaidens. This update concludes Act 2.

The game is pretty wildly different since the last update - I honestly don’t even know where to begin. Just about every chapter has seen some sort of tweaking in response to the wonderful feedback given by my intrepid playtesting team; I really cannot thank them enough for all their help over these many, many months!

Speaking of giving thanks, I also really want thank Levin and Vlak for their amazing work on many of the new portraits in this version! I am so honored and grateful to have had you work your magic on some of the game’s sprites. I also want to shout out anyone who has ever given me feedback on my own sprites in the FEU Discord! The game wouldn’t look anywhere near as good without you.

If you’ve played the game before, one thing you should know is that hard mode is now the default and intended difficulty. It is still the same game as old normal mode, but I received feedback that the name “normal mode” didn’t accurately reflect the challenge of the game.

And lastly, the Absolution Discord server has also been reopened! Feel free to join if you are so inclined:

If you’ve been following the game at all, thank you so much for your patience! I hope this update will have been worth the wait. Feelin_Fine

21 Likes

Top 10 reasons to play Absolution
1-10: Egg bomb

18 Likes

Congrats on the big release, Zess! I’ve been keeping an eye on this project for a little while now, and I really hope more people take notice of how standout this project is – it’s a very well put together product, and a really good proof of concept for LT as an engine in the hands of a skilled developer.

6 Likes

I played through the game again, and thought to myself why not make one of those fancy tier lists?
So I made one. Like usual with my thoughts and feedback, this list too is based on Infernal difficulty.

Tier list

Explanation (Wall of Text warning)

This is the closest to my totally not biased tier list. I don’t claim to be as objective as possible,
but instead the list is based on my impressions over the span of several playthroughs. As a disclaimer,
D tier doesn’t necessarily imply the units are bad, I just don’t have much experience using them.
Units aren’t in any particular order within a tier. With all of that out of the way:

S: this is almost self-explanatory; Mackenzie rivals trained Eduardo the moment she joins, and in fact surpasses him in Strength and Defense. Eduardo is faster, but for the most part the Speed difference is 2 or so points, and thus inconsequential: it hardly matters if you have 14 or 11 Speed when enemies have 18-20. Besides, Eduardo gets slowed down by heavier weapons like Steel Greatlance (which is one his favorites mind you).

Equipping Mackenzie with Guts boosts her at times shaky hit rates and is easy to activate by getting hit by knives and daggers. She has enough bulk to withstand most critical hits, even several of them, and Raging Storm is incredibly useful both offensively and defensively for using the boosted movement to retreat. RS is also easy to charge with Sturdy Blade. Heavy Blade might also work, but enemies tend to have higher Str than Def, so Heavy Blade is more reliable. With healer support she straight up solos swaths of enemies on her own.

Dayo is insanely good. What he lacks in bulk he makes up in sheer power. You can two hit kill pretty much anything, and often one-shot even with a handaxe. Wild Abandon with a killer weapon is a delete button for any enemy in the game: you can one hit kill Renee if her Defense boost is gone (but all other boosts, including Half Damage, are present). His survavibility can be helped with Imbue - and Dayo is a good candidate for it with his surprisingly high Magic - but that means you have to give up a skill slot otherwise used for boosting his power or crit rate.

A: Gabriel is being held down by his low Speed. Whereas Mackenzie or Eduardo have the Defense to back up their lack of Spd, Gabriel doesn’t, at least to the same extent. However, like other top tier units he’s very strong. He also has one of the better Combat Arts in the game; Crossblast. Enemies come often in formations, so weakening and even killing several enemies at once is not hard to set up, and is really valuable when every hit counts. He can also retaliate against 2-range with any weapon instead of being limited to weaker weapons like handaxes or javelins.

Ojala is super fast, and has high enough Strength to put in some serious work. Outside of Shining Bow she lacks 1-range options unlike other high/ top tier units. She has other qualities that justify her placing on the tier list, however. She has decent enough bulk and Magic stat to make good use of Imbue, access to Reposition and huge damage boost in the form of Hunter’s Volley and Technician. Getting weapons to low enough uses for Technician is not very hard, especially if you are using other bow units, especially Lakshmi - you can trade her old bows to Ojala, and often reach Technician thresholds rather quickly if you already haven’t. Ojala doesn’t need Technician per se, but being able to one-shot kill on command is a useful thing to have.

Dive Bomb turns Cecile into a player phase powerhouse. Being able to defeat enemies without taking a counterattack is really valuable in a difficulty mode where your units die to 2 hits most of the time. At times her damage is a bit shy from the kill, but you can circumvent that problem with food/Evelia boost or by using a different weapon. However, she has no enemy phase to speak of, she quite often gets killed in one hit in return, so you have to make each action with Cecile count.

Mitzi is great, especially if you can keep her damage output up with something like Steel Poleaxe or Master Axe. She has low/shaky hit rates against some foes, so you might need Fortune to increase it. While Mitzi has some semblance of bulk, it’s by no means reliable.

Nadia’s a dancer, what else do you need? How about being able to charge some of those crazy strong Combat Arts, while being able to move in the range of long-range or siege weapons?

Evelia’s combat prowess is surprisingly good from the moment she’s promoted. You have to keep her out of harm’s way until then (and often she’s relegated to healer duty after), but leveling her up is not hard at all. Evelia has good stats all around with her defenses being somewhat low, but her Speed, Strength and HP are all high. Her ability to heal or increase hit rates and increase Power is a useful niche to have. You’d be surprised how often that +2 pushes your other units’ offenses to one-round / one-shot thresholds.

Balthazar is a strong unit from the get-go. He also has A rank in lances, which is an added bonus
especially if you want to use forged weapons. While Balthazar boasts similar Strength and/or higher Speed than units higher on the list, he has a more limited availability and a Combat Art/ personal skill that is overall less useful than those of higher ranked units. If you didn’t train Ramon, Balthazar makes for a perfectly usable, if not straight up better, replacement.

Eduardo is in a somewhat awkward position. Don’t get me wrong, he has both power and bulk, but neither is quite there. Like previously mentioned, the heavier hard-hitting weapons cut into Eduardo’s Speed, making him lose the one advantage he has over someone like Mackenzie. Eduardo’s defenses are also not on her level, but this doesn’t mean he’s a bad unit. His power and bulk are great in early game, but other units quickly reach and surpass his offensive power, and some even his defenses, so I find it hard to reasonably place Eduardo in a higher tier than B.

Agnes is overall a strong unit with some versatility to her skill set-up, but her personal skill is
high-maintenance, and making consistent use of it can be harder than it seems. After all, you have a
limited amount of ingredients, and you might want to use them for providing necessary buffs to your
other units. You need her personal and/or other Speed buffs for consistent doubling in later chapters,
especially if you plan to use some of the heavier weapons. Frozen Lance also is in my experience way more situational than some other Combat Arts.

Lakshmi is fantastic. Increased bowrange is a neat tool to have, and she has the means to make crit-based set-ups work. Like with Ojala, she doesn’t have many 1-range options and no access to crossbows. She performs well in her archer role, but with the lack of movement options, sometimes lacking Speed and being more limited offensively means it’s hard to rate her any higher.
She’s been in my team in every playthrough, however.

Tybalt is a combat thief. Great Speed, good Strength, middling everything else. Hoarfrost Knife provides him situational bulk, and is a good weapon for him in general. Alchemist Dagger is also a valid choice, but you might find his hitrates a bit too low. Canto+ is good for hit-and-run tactics where you want to weaken an enemy so that one of your other units can safely go for the kill.

Val is a solid unit early on, but starts to fall off towards the later chapters. Her Speed is especially
proving to be a hindrance, and enemies often having the exact damage to kill her in two hits makes her
personal skill hard to work with on top of the skill being somewhat unreliable in the first place.
That is, staying on low HP for extended periods of time is not what I’d consider viable. Her promotion
bonuses are pretty good, and push her out of getting doubled range - except against the fast enemies, anyhow.

Salvador lives or dies by his Strength and Speed growths. If you keep proccing them on level ups, you’ll have a speedy and strong combat unit with good mobility. If you don’t, you’ll have a middling cavalier with lacking combat. In the latter case he’s probably more closer to C tier than B. His new personal somewhat helps with his combat, but it can’t remedy getting screwed in Speed department. Even with decent/good level ups as an axe user his combat is comparable to or worse than higher tier units.

Bennett is a unit who requires a bit of babying or feeding kills, but it starts to pay off big time.
His placement on the list has a lot to do with that hurdle; his combat is not amazing from the start,
and if you’re not making sure Bennett is keeping up, he’ll quickly fall off. I could see him in C tier,
but frankly once he starts hitting doubling thresholds, he’ll quickly become one of your better,
if not the best magic user combat-wise.

Idowu is often my go-to secondary healer. He has a surprisingly high Defense, so even if an enemy reached him he doesn’t immediately evaporate. While you can use him for combat, his low Speed holds him back from being a solid combat unit. However, he is rather easy to level up, and the defensive boost he provides works great in tandem with healing and allowing Mackenzie to wreak havoc. Having a second healer is never a bad option if you have the deployment slots.

Initially I was going to place Hati in C, but I’m willing to cut him some slack and admit there might be
something in the way I play that prevents me from making good use of his personal skill. With that said, I don’t think he’s quite on par with other A rank or even some B rank units. Leveling him up for promotion is a hassle because he basically has to hug Valentina (or a sun mage) in order to be usable in combat. He gets doubled - and killed - quite frequently. With increased enemy offenses the healing his personal would provide doesn’t reliably push him out of getting killed zone. I think his doubling being locked behind specific units is what makes his personal skill overall hard to utilize properly. His defenses aren’t that great either, and his Strength getting capped fast and staying capped for a while means his power doesn’t really outgrow that of many others.

Velma is one of those units I find hard to rate. Her Speed +2 on heal sounds good on paper, but I find it way more situational than Evelia’s power boost, and that Spd +2 doesn’t unlock doubling thresholds for that many units. Units who consistently double don’t require the boost and aren’t enemy phase monsters, and so can’t be left open for several enemies to attack. Velma’s stats are pretty average overall, meaning if you don’t train her from join, she’s very likely to fall behind.

Trudy follows the same trend as other units that generally rank lower on the list; lacking in terms of
Speed and defenses. Guaranteed hits can come in handy, but if you don’t KO you’ll have to eat a
counterattack, which is less than ideal when you die to two hits.

I don’t think Sanite is a bad unit per se, I simply struggle to make room to deploy her. Her prf is awesome, but that’s where the problem lies: her combat can feel a bit underwhelming without Daybringer, but you don’t want to break it too fast, either. What’s more, if you wanted to fully utilize her personal skill, that leaves you with only a couple of weapons to use. This means she will be unprepared against some enemies like cavalry or axe users.

I don’t have that much to say about Yewande. A serviceable thief if you haven’t leveled up Quentin (or he died), gets outclassed by Tybalt. Earliest you can promote Quentin or Yewande is a chapter prior to Tybalt anyhow, so it’s not like you get to have fun with Canto+ long before you get an another rogue.

Hildegard overall is a rather lackluster unit. Latent Power + Runesword is a fantastic combo, but even without Latent Power she doesn’t make good use of regular weaponry. Magic swords are also rare. This, combined with her lacking Speed for a swordmaster means I can’t rank her very high.

Quentin can be tough to level up, and often his hit rates hover in an uncomfortably unreliable area. Fortune staves remedy that issue, but healers are busy healing other units, and Quentin isn’t very likely to benefit from Balms. His combat is mediocre, but he’s a thief.

Thelma’s personal skill is cool, but it being dependent on critical hits makes it too RNG-heavy
to be relied on. Additionally, Thelma too struggles in both Speed and defenses, meaning leaving her exposed to a single enemy can get her killed - unless she crits. She, like many others, also lack AoE.

Wolfram is kind of “jack of all trades, master of none” type of character; he’s a flying unit and can wield
axes and magic. So why is he so low on the list? Simply put, his combat is not on par with higher tier units, and his stats aren’t stellar, either. He doesn’t excel in anything in particular, and as such isn’t ranked any higher.

Jean is one of those units I can never seem to be able to train properly. His crit shenanigans seem interesting enough, but unfortunately low damage output, no doubling and reliance on RNG makes him too difficult to use for me personally, at least. He might be D tier unit, in fact.

Fabrice is a healer with poor combat. Not much to say yet, since there hasn’t been that many chapters where he could be deployed.

Zahir is another one of those units that I can’t seem to be able to make work in the long run. I might deploy him for a chapter or two before benching him.

Ramon is an awkward case; his hitrates are a bit too low for his personal to really shine, and again, Fortune is better used on someone else. As far as lance users go, he has competition in the heavy hitting department already. To make matters worse he gets outclassed by Balthazar, who in most instances doesn’t need a personal skill to double axe users and doesn’t really get doubled by them, either.

I don’t have much experience of using Rhapsody, I often don’t have enough deployment slots to keep her around - or rather, at that point of the game I’m not willing to bench someone just to level her up.

Xavier doesn’t leave a good first impression. His hitrates hover in the 60’s, and he gets doubled if he wields the Hunting Bow. I haven’t used him much at all, simply because often I have Gabriel as my gunner already, and even when I don’t Xavier doesn’t seem to have much going for him. Not enough for me to bench someone on my team, anyhow.

Femi, Reese, Persephone and Tchaka are all characters I have little to no experience of using.

5 Likes

Not sure if this has been reported but the text doesnt fit the game.

1 Like

Hey just finished playing through the new demo and thought I would give some feedback:

First things first, I really enjoyed it! In short, solid writing, well-developed characters, varied gameplay between maps. I also really want to give a shout-out to the designs of the world and the characters themselves. Often character designs in these games often fall in to the same tropes, and I loved the diversity of the cast and that a lot of the designs seem to be inspired by India/Carribean etc. Just makes it feel way fresher.

I was enjoying the story, and especially the twist near the end, but I will say is that it felt like a lot of the plot points/beats were very repetitive and started to become grating; they felt way too drawn out. And more specifically, Valentina and her relationship with her father and Valentina’s self-doubt. I understand that you’re trying to build upon the theme, but there’s only so many times a hammer can hit a nail. It starts to become stale and doesn’t actually add to the character or story.

I think the difficulty was balanced pretty well, I don’t really have any recommendations. I played on whatever the standard/suggested option was, I think medium, and it felt like whenever a character died it was from me playing risky. Nothing felt too cheap or unfair, so thumbs up on my end.

I enjoyed that a lot of the chapters had their own unique gimmicks or goals. In particular, Chapter 14 (I think) trying to block the convoys from reaching the bridge and splitting your team into three. Also the chapter where some units are trapped in the center and have use of the magic orbs while the others escaped was neat. I liked the concept of I think Chapter 21 (?) where you had to capture the forts, that then spawned units. It felt kind of rushed at the end when the boss appears and it’s just defeat boss. I think if there were a couple more enemy spawns and it kind of became more of a capture the flag type deal I think it would’ve panned out better with the original chapter goal.

Overall, excited to see the last third of the hack. Other than Lonely Mirror, this has been my favourite hack that I’ve played. I have character notes/a tier list but I think I’ll save that for another post.

5 Likes
Tier List

"Tier List Breakdown : )

S: Dayo has great availability, is instantly usable, and is probably the best axe user in the game. He’s got that standard pirate/berserker build in that he’s strong, bulky, but low defense. But his personal skill essentially means he bodies almost every unit, he’s got solid hit/avo, and great candidate for the imbue skill with his surprising high base magic and decent magic growth.

Hati’s personal skill guarantees him to double every unit. He’s not exactly the most bulky, but he heals slightly with each hit, and he’s pretty much guaranteed to defeat almost any unit. I could see maybe on higher difficulty him not being amazing, but I think the guaranteed double with good positioning automatically makes him a good unit.

Quentin is, at first, kind of a liability on the battlefield, but is worth deploying solely for the amount of goods that are worth stealing each chapter. With a little bit of babying, he’s a decent combat unit, and knives/daggers are great at weakening tough units, and items such as silencers and hunting knives make him a good niche combat unit. I frankly like his personal skill more than Yewande, and I didn’t use Tybalt much but I also don’t think taunt and/or locktouch are all that helpful.

A Tier: Cecile is frail but with divebomb she is able to effectively overcome this hurdle. Good availability, flier, give her a health boost and she’s an excellent addition to any team.

Evelia is your classic healer, mend is just great in the lex talonis engine, and her personal skill is great. I know technically miracle can be given to anyone, but since she regularly gets targeted as a cleric, I found she’s good bait for a turn if you need to distract some enemies.

Bennett takes a little bit of feeding at first, but since he’s recruited so early it doesn’t really matter. Becomes an absolute beast by the end, especially when paired with Gabriel.

Gabriel has probably one of the best combat skills in the game, cross blast is great when enemies in this game are often bunched up. Great strength, good candidate for resistance reign allowing for Bennet to kill units in earlier chapters when he might struggle a little. His attack speed ain’t nothing to write home about, but will likely not be doubled except for by the speedier units. Decent bulk, all around great candidate for your team. His personal skill also makes him pretty good on enemy phase, although there’s the risk where he kills all of them and slowly gets chipped to death.

Ojala is speedy, technician isn’t something you can really rely on but will likely benefit you from time to time. Try and save shining bow so she has some 1-range options. Hunter’s Volley is a great combat art, she’s a good combat unit and decent survivability.

Persephone is amazing in her join chapter and there’s enough status staves that having her around is nice to have, although not always the most useful. What is the most useful is her void magic, she has weapon type advantage on almost every other mage you fight, and if you’re paying attention to the effects of the void magic she is a powerhouse. I might rank her higher after thinking about it more.

Lakshmi is just like a crit machine. I didn’t use her on this playthrough because I was trying out different units. I think archers are more useful than in standard FE due to the amount of flying units, but the classic lack of 1-range bows trips her up much like Ojala.

Mitzi is a flier, which is great in the larger maps, decent bulk so she can kind of survive out on her own. I like her personal skill, makes it so that her lack of con actually benefits her. She can still double a decent amount of units. All around pretty good growths.

Nadia is a dancer, can also refresh combat arts, dancer’s veil saves her from some of the more pesky skills.

Idowu’s +def/res skill is a great combo in addition to healing, good movement, I didn’t use him on this playthrough. Would maybe be higher, but I think Sun Magic ain’t great in this game.

I didn’t use Salvador this playthrough, but good availability, decent bases, decent growths, good movement.

B Tier:

Eduardo is pretty much your standard armor knight, although pivot makes it so that his movement isn’t such a burden as standard fire emblem. Great availability, and there’s enough defend moments/chapters that having an armor knight/general is beneficial. He starts struggling to one round units as the game progresses due to his lack of speed.

I didn’t really use Tybalt, but I could see his merit. Not much to say.

Valentina is an all around solid unit, doesn’t take up a deployment slot, the heavy weight of Sunna makes it frankly not that great of a weapon. I found she often struggles to double, and defiance is helpful in clutch situations, but is a middling personal skill. I also am unsure what her promotion item is other than a Master Seal? She was the last of my main force to promote for that reason.

Balthazar comes with A grade lessons, good strength, great AS, and his personal skill is pretty solid. I could see him being higher, I didn’t really use him, you likely already have a pretty solid team by the time he joins.

Velma I want to rank higher! I love her design, but the spd+2 is likely not going to affect if people double or get doubled. She has decent stats when you get her but her growths seem middling at best. Moon magic is pretty good in this game, and she’s got good move. She’s pretty similar to Idowu, and I think moon magic is better than sun in this game, but he has better availability and you likely aren’t using them for their combat.

Thelma I also want to rank higher! I didn’t get to use her much because I think Bennett is likely just better at the point you recruit her and there likely isn’t a need for two moon sages. I didn’t use her other than when I had an extra slot, I like her PRF, but I think her personal skill relies a little too much on some luck. I think in my next playthrough I’ll try her out more, I could see moving her up.

Hildegard is frail, and requires some positioning to take advantage of her personal skill. But I love her whole gimmick of using magic swords, and I think enough of them are in the game to supply her. I would put her up way higher, but I think she’s a very situational character and requires specific team builds to do well, whereas I think someone like Dayo or Gabriel work well on any and every team.

Wolfram kind of a jack-of-all-trades, frankly renegade is too situational to likely be of much use. I guess you could give him the cursed bracelet but it also doesn’t really benefit him? I like the niche of him using axes and magic. Would like to try him out more.

Sanite has a good prf, decent bases, decent growths, but her personal skill takes up inventory spots and also doesn’t seem overly useful in the long scheme of things. I haven’t used her much, so I could definitely bump her up or down.

C Tier:

I want to use Trudy but that personal skill is very very high risk high reward. You can’t really leave her out in the front lines because she is likely going to get picked on and die. She also ain’t that bulky so it doesn’t take that long.

Zahir’s personal skill is just kind of hard to use in this game. Enemies often come in waves and are bunched in together. He’s also kind of frail, so trying to utilize him for said skill will likely lead to his death. I wanted to use him but found he just often got in the way and then died.

Ramon quickly falls behind and even just struggles in the beginning. I’ve found in both playthroughs I’ve done he just kind of starts falling behind very quickly.

Jean and Femi are essentially always at weapon disadvantage when fighting pretty much every other magic user. Sun Magic has really low mt, and neither of their personal skills seem to, pardon the pun, shine.

D Tiers are characters that I never really got the chance to use so I don’t have a solid reading on them.

1 Like

valentina can promote instead of reaching level 21, like radiant dawn

2 Likes

Thank for the report! I’ll have this fixed in the next update. (Also, you can used the tilde (~) key to take a screenshot more easily, the image will show up in the absolution_data folder)

Thank you so much for playing the game, I’m glad you enjoyed it overall!
I totally get where you’re coming from on the repetitiveness of some of the story bits. I definitely feel that the game’s second act is maybe a bit too long for its own good sometimes. Writing is my weakest point as a creator, so I’m glad you were able to enjoy the story in spite of those annoyances!
Always happy to read another tier list breakdown, btw! It always makes my day to see someone using Dayo : )

And yeah, like GabrielKnight said above, Valentina automatically promotes when reaching level 21.

I use sharex for everything its a habit at this point and I know what sharex names all it files.

ok review time again. New story parts are just amazing. I hope the final gives Val dad a huge wake up call. He really needs it.

For the Gaiden chapters. I enjoy 2 and 3 even less then I did one gameplay wise. Kinda of wished I had a skip chapter for the gameplay part only. 2nd Gaiden was easier for me then the 3rd one going blind. all the bum rushing really is hard to handle in part 3 going up or down. middle has the most resources to handle that from what I saw.

As for the rebalances and New chapters gameplay wise. The rebalances for chapters 5, 13 and 14 make them feel a lot easier. Don’t feel much challenge in those as long as I am not using a unit that really needs supports as a new unit.

Chapters 18 and 19. the one where you guide her grace and the one where you defend her grace are the hardest 2 non gaiden chapters imo. I think both of them should be toned down a little bit as the difficulty drops backs down after the chapter of defending her grace for 10 turns or so iirc.

Could use a little more money our way in the chapters from 15 to 21. Noticed I was low on funds easily even with selling 3 or 4 promotion items I didnt use each time.

The only major gripe I have about Enemy units is generic mages. They are have overall good stats compared to other units. High speed, high magic, High skill and good luck. Making it easy for them to nuke your slower and lower res units or easily hit most of your units. seeing a bunch of slayers towards the end also is a bit jarring, could use a little toning down on that front as well.

Promotion item wise the amount you give is pretty balanced. almost enough to promote everyone provided someone is crazy enough to get all the units to promotion.

1 thing that also annoyed me is the fact you didnt make it super obvious that we needed to manually input this password. You made the password important but you failed to mention we had to enter it as the player. That really made me upset a lot. Really should mention that when we get that convo as base to the player and not the npc she is berating. as all she goes on is the memorize it and repeat it which is kinda of vague imo.

1 other thing I noticed is that the game is heavy on needing supports for the lesser units to not suck or do their job. The better units just shine harder. Some units have really good early supports making them a high priority.

now for the actual Units. IMO Val Personal Passive could use an upgrade on promotion to keep up with the game. +4 to str defense and res really doesnt mean much late game when a lot of things can easily double her. She useful early game but thats about it.

Roman, He is a lot better then people thing he is. the ability to tank almost any physical hit better then Edwardo is a god send and he can move around and easily gives Salvador his Early suppoorts. His res hurts him a little bit and so does his low speed but with his personal passive skill he can easily handle any axe user on offensive while setting himself up to tank physical moves next turn. his other supports help him do more damage or give him more tankiness which is good for his role.

Salvador, Easily the best Paladin of the game. gets 4 supports, 3 of them at the start giving him the boosts he needs so that even str rng screwed he still does his job well. getting a 9 attack up and 45 hit rate if he is near all 4 of his supports and all the 4 units he supports are recommended to be a staple in any team and he can dodge pretty decently mid to late game making him a good dodge tank if needed.

Lakshmi is a solid early game archer so long as she doesnt get str and speed screwed. her support bonus are really lack luster as she doesnt really need more defense when she becomes a really good dodger. Her Personal attack skill is also really good for mowing down enemies who line themselves up for you.

Eduardo suffers 1 major problem and its the fact he cant survive mages at all. He is too slow and too low res to be useful and is weighted down by his favorited weapons making him even worse. imo his passive skill should be changed to defensive to make him useful. His only support early on is trudy and this hurts him even more. his other 2 supports are so late and one of them isnt worth using unless you some how manage to lose all your archers or got every one of them rng screwed.

Trudy. She is slow and super squishy. while she can get kills, she has nothing for an enemy phase and if she doesnt get a kill she will take massive counter damage. really needs to be much more tankier then she is to fix this.

Evelia. Best healer. has access to all the healing staves and 2 good Early game supports and 2 Late game supports She easily hits around 10 promoted on all my recent playthroughs thanks to mend and other staves. having good strengh helps her to use axes well when promoted so when she isnt healing she can axe someone off.

Cecile has 3 really good early game and mid game supports. and her passive skill is even better for allowing her to go solo for a single kill while staying in safety. she just needs a couple of booster items to not be so squishy and she becomes a power house… She is good early, mid, and late game and can kill most enemies on the player phase with ease.

Gabriel His 3 supports are very good giving him the defense, hit and avoid he needs to be tanky. his crossblast skill is easily one of the best combat skills. He just needs to be careful around mages since they can easily 2hko him.

Bennet, Everyone says he has a rough early game. I strongly disagree. Every time I used him he been the one tanking all the mages for me, he easily gets lot of exp and becomes the powerhouse we need. Paired with Gabriel and his Sister Velma, skills speciallist and Impale, he just becomes a 1 man wrecking crew. Honestly the best mage.

Quientin is ok. he gets the job done for stealing but thats about it, none of the thieves have good combat but he has the ability to get early game supports better then the rest making him slightly more useful then the others and unless he is super rng screwed or killed, I dont see a point on using Tybalt or Yewande.

Jean has a really shaky early game that I usually just bench him. Cant really review him till I manage to get him to late game. he does have 3 good early game/mid games supports so that does help him but I noticed he a bit slow to be effective.

Zahir is decent despite his nonexistance supports and terrible luck. He does a good job as a flyer that having him and Celile on the field at the same time isnt a terrible idea.

Agnes is a really good speedy/dodgy Solider. with 3 early good supports to boot as well, she does a really good job starting off and reaching endgame, with her high magic she can swap between magic or physical weapons at will. Her personal skill is a lot easier to upkeep then people say with all the food you keep giving us via shops and drops. Most of the times I dont do it since she can easily not be weighed down by a lot of weapons too much due to her really high speed. I usually give her Imbue due to her high magic and just watch her shrug off a lot of stuff.

Dayo is 1 unit I havent tried this patch but want to. I noticed you fixed his personal to not be at max hp which is hard to do. will review him once I get him to late game on a playthrough.

Idowu. good 2nd healer as you really want more healers to split push as that pretty common mid to late game, he does his job well and his 2 early game and 1 mid game good support to boot that makes him more tanky so he can stay at the front lines easily, his greatest problem is how slow he is, so he not really useful promoted combat wise.

Ojala is a good archer replacement or if you want to use all archers from the point you get her its not a bad choice. she has high magic and strenght just like Lakshmi to abuse both magical and physical weapons and she can borrow other people battered down weapons to make her shine better. She also comes with 3 solid supports 1 of them being Val and Val needs all the supports she can get.

Sanite gets penatilized from me. she tanky with her personal but it also ties her up on which weapons to bring. to make matters worse there no way to repair her personal weapon so once she runs out she starts to fall off a lot. she kinda of slow from what I saw to allow her to do Agnes job better.

Reese has 1 glaring problem and its her early game does not exist due to all the high hit rates she faces. she can not make use of her personal passive at all till mid/late game and when she finally builds up some supports to fix her avoid problem I usually give her speciallist to bennet as he can put it to better use, anyone can really since her favorite weapon doesnt give her crit. maybe making silver, killer weapons her favorite instead? Her attack skill is pretty good as it a delete anyone button that isnt a boss. and she becomes a strong power house promoted and with some suppports to back her up allowing her to dodge. She is the unit that needs the most babying to become good.

As said before in a previous review. dancer that can ignore aoe and ranged attacks while refreshing is a solid unit easily one of the better units. I dont user the charge rings that much as I dont need them that much. Problaly give her access to some of the other rings out there instead.

Femi still gets auto benched. he looks like a worse Jean imo.

Yewande, If Her personal would allow her to dodge better but her combat is so bad that she not really needed. I usually just give her weapons to Quen and just sell her lockpicks, she is tankier and a bit dodgier then quen so there that. but her support options are terrible.

Persephone. Easily one of the best units thanks to reflect status effects. She also has 3 good but slow building supports as well. since she is usually gonna have weapon advantage against any mage due to the lack of dark and light mages, she a good 2nd mage to run with next to Bennett, she also doesnt need to carry a lot of tomes so you can give her unburdened to fix her attack speed. 2 different tomes is usually good enough for Persephone. guess you could also give it to Bennett as well since he only needs fire tomes but that feels like overkill to me as he doubles almost everything and she doesnt.

Mitiz, on the list to try out.

Rhapsody is 1 solid cav all around. high all stats all around and good supports making her a good replacement or just to add in to your crew she will easily be tanking anything and everything despite the fact she is lucked into mostly 1 range swords since rune sword is so rare.

Mackenzie is the better Edwardo when she comes around the only thing he has on her is speed which is moot since both of them are getting doubled anyways. I still bench her because of slow speed low movement and not really a fan of armors in most Fire emblem games.

Velma is good if you use her right as you get her. Supports both Bennett and Gabriel giving them a healer for when you start wanting a 3rd healer later on. she not as good as Evalia and Idowu but she does get the job done and she can double a lot of units which is a plus.

Thelma is insta benched due to her gimmick. losing crit to double is no go for me. more so since everything will still double her and thats pretty bad when she not that tanky. she needs her crits imo. I would just give her a brand new personal while reworking her stats imo.

Hildegard. with how low the supply of magic weapons there are, she is complete trash as she has low con and low speed allowing some enemies to double her that should not normally due so. imo her speed needs a good boost to make up for this glaring fact Her other problem is a majority of her supports is late game. Her physical power is also so bad its not worth using physical on her even if you remove the +4 magic and - 4 str skill on her. that skill best on someone like Rhapsody who has high all stats and can make better use of it.

Xavier, Only use him if you get RNG screwed on the other 3 archers, while his passive skill is good it means you cant use Persephone near him at all, another penalty to him is his supports are terrible and he is missing 2 of them

Balthazar, a Paladin who good to go as is. Comes with a lot of good skills and solid stats. can easily replace most units and has 3 good supports to work with, 1 of them being late game if you happen to use tybalt

Tybalt, the only thing he will have on the other 2 is higher speed and canto+, the rest is pretty moot.
I usually just dont use him at all since he gonna have problems hitting things when you get him. He does have solid units to support him if you do decide to use him.

Wolfram, just bench this dude permantly him and hilda exist just for a love story imo. Jack of all trades, Master of none. A filler unit incase you do happen to lose a lot of units but thats about it.

if I missed someone its because it wasnt obv on how to recruit them.

will do more playthroughs to try out the units I didnt try out and I did enjoy most of this custom game.

2 Likes

Jo!

I just finished the current build and wanted to post some feedback!

All in all, i greatly enjoyed it. I especially love what you’re doing with the skills and how they make each unit feel really unique and how you changed the FE formula with those skills!
The chapters were enjoyable as well, and there we alot of unique objectives that made each chapters fresh and fun. Bosses with unique mechanics were a joy, too!
Difficulty i mostly found on point as well. I played on hard/Random growths mode.
The music was good as well. I hope we get a cool boss track later tho as that was missing.

Story

Val’s story for redemption after her mistake. It makes me root and feel for her, however i gotta echo what others said and say in Act 2 it was a bit overdone, especially with her father who i really wanted to punch.

The prince and princess were also a bit much, ngl. They aren’t really cool enough to act all chuuni and laugh like that. The tone change that comes everytime they appear was a bit…weird.

Chapters

Favourite chapters were the one with dam where you have to kill the boss within turn limit and the party was split, and the defence chapter where you gotta protect the Birdkeeper. I really loved those, but others as well. In general each chapter was unique and fun.

Some feedback:

• On the chapter where gotta capture the forts, the 2nd half (post turn 6) needs something. Like the first half you have to be fast to capture the forts, and it’s really fun and challenging during that time, but after that it’s over in 2 turns. Maybe you had to take into consideration that the player won’t be able to capture more than half and thus had to tweak it in such a way that it wouldn’t be impossible to win? At the same time, if you do really well in the first half, 2nd half will be over in like, 2 turns. So maybe some tweaking is needed here?

• In some chapters resets could happend due to lack of information given before hand. Example the chapter where you get Mitzi. I had to reset there so i can sell stuff to get the money. Could’ve been fixed if there was a shop on the map to sell stuff, for example or any signs before preps that we need 2.5k gold (The chapter was otherwise great however). Later i also had no idea how to recruit Xavier, and Tybalt’s ‘‘catch up to me’’ is misleading (or i misunderstood it) so i continued the game without those two. How are they recruited btw?

• It’s certainly interesting what you did with chapter 22, but can’t you just deploy Val and send her to suicide to cheese the map? Ofc you will be forfeiting the rewards then. I thankfully managed to get the 10k gold before sending her to suicide or it would’ve been a massacre upon my army. Although i managed to do it deathless (Well, Val aside), Casual mode is active on this map, no?

The Squad

Val, our MC. Gameplay wise, outside from her personal, she’s a typical lord, if a bit slow. I gave her skills to synergize with her personals, but the most use i got out of them is mostly extra tankiness when i needed to enemy phase tank some physical enemies. I think she needs a bit of a buff. Maybe reduce Sunna’s con to 11, so promoted she doesn’t get weight’d down by it? Otherwise there’s mostly no reason to use it over a Blade unless you have a lot of buffs to use Sunna’s add buffs to ATK skill.

Salvador. One of the two early cavs you get, and the one i kept using. His personal allowed for alot of damage early and synergizes well with his speed, although later on i wish i used Mackenzie instead, as he mainly became an Axe Aura bot. Well, i always have bad luck with ponies when to comes to FE anyway xD. Might replace him with Wolfram when i continue. Or maybe somehow train Mackenzie up hah!

Lakshmi. Her personal is great and combined with +1 range allowed her to keep up until her STR unscrewed (had like 7 str at lvl 15 or so kek), after which she became a total monster. I gave her unberdened to give her extra 3AS so she can double fast enemies as well. Although i am thinking of switching to a shatter crit build later. Depends on how her speed will hold up.

Eve, our first healer with alot of muscle. Healing/staff’ing granting buffs is great, and i love each healer has a buff they give. With her Muscle she can kill stuff, too!

Cecile, THE RAGING INFERNO! A pure glass cannon, and hella fun to use! Dive Bomb is just great, ensuring she kills almost everything she sets her eyes on. A glass cannon tho, she dies very fast, so it balances out. I gave her one of the HP boost items so she doesn’t get one shotted if i accidently overextend or something.

Ben, the ‘in chapter Est’. Once he kills something in a chapter he just keeps going. Great personal, fun to use, even if his low magic can be a bit bothersome, his personal is there. So just give him a few kills early in a chapter and just watch him snowball!

Quentin, our main thief and debuffer. He’s great, his personal really fits him and the class as well, and his combat Art is goooooood! Map design also always required a thief and the increased exp from stealing helps in making him stay up with the team! I also love what you are doing with Dagger and Knives in general^^

Zahir, our birb rider. Imo, the weakest flier of the 4 you get. His personal is very hard to work with, and the bonuses are just not enough to leave him alone. I think it should only need 3 instead of 4 spaces to be active, and give +4 ATK/AS and maybe +40 AVO instead of +3 and +20 respectively.

Agnes, the magical blonde NephNeph! She was my main Boss killer, between her good STR and MAG, and frozen lance, i could switch between physical and magical attacks to take out enemies. I gave her the -4 res aura to stack with her magical potentical and other mages, and Null auto double to make full use of her speed.

Ido, our healer boy, on a horse! The one who grants def buffs. Enough Magic to do some damage after promotion as well!

Nadia, your squishy Dancer. Her personal atleast makes sure she doesn’t die unless you really fuck up cough

Femi, the rallying mage. I choose him over Jean due to his Rally skill, which is really good and makes units pass certain needed treshholds sometime, and the refresh combat art was clutch sometimes as well!

Perse, the GOAT. Her personal alone makes her worth using, but she doesn’t only have that, but great magic and amazing void magic. Her hit problems could be revolved with some skills, and speed problem isn’t really an issue since she can almost one shot anything with the right tome use and buffs/debuffs. And she can still double slower units anyway!

Mitzi, the tough ‘Mercenary’. Her personal always her to choose between strong one hits and tankiness, or weaker double hits. Really great and fun to use. So Glad i reset to get the money needed to recruit her, unlike my initial plan.

Vel, the wind speed buffing healer lady, on a horse!

Fabrice, the late joining Axe healer! His +skill charge staffing is great, and he comes with good str for side Axe use and with that magic i am thinking of giving him a Gale Axe.

Some thoughts on other units i benched or used for a bit:

• Trudy i was planning to put in my main team, but she got speed screwed, which made her personal more a bane than a boon. I think her personal is fun, but also needs the right stats xD

• Rhapsody and Mackenzie i can see being really fun to use after i used them in their initial chapter. Especially the latter i regret not using instead of Salvador.

• Thelma, Waldenburg’s thunder Mage. She’s a crit machine, and her personal tome is really great. Crit being disabled for 2 turns after critting however is a bit…weird, since she’s a crit machine and all. I think that might need a bit of a rework. Not sure tho since i didn’t use her enough

• Hildegard needs a buff imo. While i like the gimmick of a magical swordmaster, she can’t even double in her join chapter and she’s weight’d down by the Rune Sword. Also her personal skill needing only magic holders to be nearby is too much of a requirement. Maybe make it so it ain’t deactivated if there’s a physcial holder nearby aslong as there’re equal or more magic ones? Or maybe give her a prf ala Sanite’s Daybringer?

Misc. Thoughts
  • I really think we need a recipe guide in game for the kitchen. Trying and resetting to avoid literal mistakes isn’t fun, imo.

• Maybe changing skills on prep screen as well?

• Maybe give us a way to access convoy on map? Or increase inventory slots?

• 15 cost for Imbue is a bit much imo, especially since it can’t be equipped by magical classes.

• Crafting + weapons is way too expensive imo. Cost should be atleast halved, if not even more. Some weapon i think need their cost reduced even by a factor of 3

I can see this project becoming one of the best fan projects out there!

Keep up the great work, Zess!

1 Like