Is it OK to "trace" someone else's work?

Let’s say… If someone showcases a sprite work, like an animation or a portrait, but doesn’t release it as F2U. Would it be acceptable to re-create that work purely from sight?

For example: Looking closely at the features of a portrait, and trying to splice from vanilla portraits to make it look as close as possible to the not F2U portrait. Or looking at a video of a battle animation, and trying to replicate the animation frame by frame just by looking at the video, but not having the animation files.

Essentially, tracing the work. Or as close as you can get to “tracing” when it comes to sprite work. Not sure if the term applies to this context.

So. Would this count as just referencing the original work? and thus, be acceptable? Or does this qualify as stealing someone else’s work?

I would feel really bad about using someone else’s work without their permission. But sometimes people are hard to reach out to, and just don’t reply often. So I’m asking this to come to a work-around. I don’t think anyone has asked this question before.

1 Like

no
not f2u means not free to use, just use something else

9 Likes

I mean it depends how close it is to the original. If its 1:1 its the same thing if its inspired by it and the shape is just close to it, you still made it yourself.

1 Like

Yes, that was what I was thinking. I’m still puting work into it. But if a mod says it’s not OK, then I gues it’s cut and dry right there.

I think the process also matters. I think the fairest way is respect someone’s original content and not try to copy it, but if you want to make something inspired by it, take a few minutes break between looking at it and working on your creation. That way you won’t be able to copy it 1:1. I think tracing or copying non-f2u art should not be allowed. Usually art that is only inspired by something is a lot more distinct than art that is copied.

2 Likes

Tracing in this community is literally just splicing essentially.
If you want to splice from a Non F2U/E mug, I would suggest privately asking the original portrait’s creator.

Of course Skitty already gave you an answer, but there’s multiple avenues you can go down that still involve respecting the creator’s wishes.

6 Likes

Yeah, I agree here.

You could take inspiration from it and make your own version of it but it would have to be different in some manner. Take my shield and sword hector battle animation for example. I used the beta sacred echoes myrmidon as the inspiration as it was literally just a hector with a headband, maybe slightly longer hair and a shield. I used the halberdier shield and gave it to a hector sword battle animation.

2 Likes

I think you should ask the owner before doing anything. If they weren’t allow you to touch their stuff, you should choose something else for inspiration