Inspiration, Ideation, and everything else in Between- A guide to Make, Organize, and Recreate Ideas for your Hack!

I am not sure if this has been done or not. But I always find joy in finding inspirations for any design work. Whether it’s as broad as world building to the simplest things like How do the Christmas Cavs talk to each other in the support. After reading a thread from a year ago named “Inspirations for your work”, I have a gut feeling that ideation and concept building has not been talked enough here so. Let me talk about it for a while.

“Who am I to talk about Ideation?”
Before you guys start having doubts about a rando telling you how to make ideas for hack, I can assure you I have studied this field. I have been studying Multimedia Arts for more than four years now and I have been working in pre production for different media based companies as well; so this comes naturally to me. I am here to give insights on this field that I feel like is not talked enough and will never be talked enough. And this thread will focus on three things I find essential in getting ideas: Finding inspirations, my personal favorite ideation methods, and how you can communicate your hack ideas to others.

Inspiration Finding

I always believe that inspirations are the seeds of ideas. And whenever people ask me where do I find inspirations for ideas or where do I start finding ideas, I always tell them one thing.

“There is no such thing as a bad inspiration for an idea!”

As long as it is a starting point, there is no bad inspiration.

Let me use my WIP hack, Visions of Liberation, as the sample here for the thread. I found inspiration for this surprisingly from a mix of different games and series. I believe from the time I started writing down the groundwork of the idea I just finished playing a Dungeons and Dragons game where I brought the party to investigate a manor which belonged to a fallen lord. When I revisited the map design I had for the party I thought that it would make a good Fire Emblem Map. So that is where the hack began for me as I wrote down and still writing down details for the hack.

*The starting point of Visions of Liberation and how it was put into fruition.*

Another hack I was inspired with to make this thread is 7 Siblings by Warpath. In the linked interview with Warpath showed that the story aspect of the hack is loosely based from family members. For me that is a creative starting point to create a hack as a medium for storytelling based off family. It gives like a fresh perspective to what family is for we all came from different family backgrounds. And I just find it amazing how the hacker translated real life family events into a high fantasy story in 7 Siblings.

The main takeaway from this is that there is no wrong starting point. I got my hack’s start from a DnD Map of all things hahaha. I can see everyone getting inspiration from different things from movie scenes, game mechanics, and even just conversations with people and how they talk works (True story since I based one character in my hack based off a conversation I had with an IRL friend of mine.) If you can pinpoint that inspiration which stemmed from one thing that you personally like about anything and find a starting point from there, then that means you found yourself an idea you can cultivate.

Ideation Method 1- Mood Boards

Another way to note down and track inspirations is a mood board. Mood boards ,in my own words, is an organized collection of visual pegs which tells the idea.

I personally love mood boards because it gives me a visual guide to what the concept or idea is. It also serves as the first proof of concept shown to others that will describe what your product is; in this case, what your hack is.

*My mini mood board for Visions of Liberation's planned Act 1*

You do not have to have a formal set format or style on how to do mood boards. You can make something well decorated and organized or a minimalist organized chaos of a board. The important thing about mood boards are these pointers.

• The idea is well visualized

In my mood board example, I am attempting to communicate an idea to the viewers. Without using any words I am depicting a large scale army attack, a dark relic in the hands of a mysterious organization, gameplay elements inspired by FE7 and Awakening, storytelling styles, and samples to the aesthetics to the world (Both characters and geography.) The images are not there to give the full context of the idea but it is there to give a general idea of what is planned and what are the parameters and goals of the hack.

• The idea strikes a conversation

I keep it to a minimum of just images to communicate with the viewers because I want to strike a conversation. I shown this to my friends before and it allowed communication to happen. Things like “What are those princess designs for?” or “Why are there Anime titles?” If you are able to visually communicate your ideas and the viewers are able to start a conversation around the mood board you made, you have successfully made a good mood board which is able to do it’s job. I personally love looking at my peers mood boards for their projects despite it not being around my field of arts and it gives out a lot of good insight and even more inspirations just presenting and reviewing mood boards.

Ideation Method 2-"The Worst Idea Method"

This form of ideation is something I personally like involving myself in since it is a more feedback focused method.

The concept behind the worst idea method is pitching a subjectively bad idea and see how others would react to it. This is done through communicating with people about what you think is a bad idea and how we think it should be implemented here. The goal of this method of ideation is to provide a negative pitch on an item, get feedback from others on what makes it a bad idea, and how can an idea be translated to a good idea.

I have done this before with my idea of adding in a star shard system to my hack. I pitched in an idea for a certain star shard to lower the growth rate of every stat a unit has in exchange for more EXP gains. After some conversation within the FEU discord it then revealed that my idea is a bad idea because it is a held item which incentivizes trade trains. Therefore from feedback from others it was then formed into a good idea by making it a consumable item for them to commit to the lower stat growths.

This practice is good in my opinion because of a few things.

• It encourages any idea to be promoted as a “good idea”
    With everyone pitching bad ideas and hot takes on how a hack should be designed, it can give insights on how things can be turned from a bad idea into a good idea. Bad ideas for me are just like leftovers. It can either go bad or become a good meal depending on how we treat it.

• It helps us practice how we take in feedback
    The detriment of any creative project is not getting feedback. The final design is never the final design. What makes a design work is how it is received by the target audience. Through this method we know we are pitching bad ideas, and thus criticisms are bound to happen. If we steel ourselves in an environment where we know we cannot sell our bad ideas, we are setting ourselves up to better ideas which is of course to the benefit to our hacks.

Ideation Method 3- SCAMPER

SCAMPER stands for, “Substitute, Combine, Adapt, Modify, Purpose, Eliminate, Reverse”. The goal of this ideation method is to put your hacks into different what if scenarios on what the hack would look like in different iterations and implementations. This one can be done by yourself and can take as long as you need. The important thing with the SCAMPER method is to exercise the idea by running it through a gauntlet of sub ideas. I’ll show a sample SCAMPER I will soon make soon as I was conceptualizing my Class Promotion Tree for Visions of Liberation.

For now the main benefit of SCAMPER is to lay out ideas and what are the substitutes are. By identifying the different sub ideas into the main idea, you can further elaborate a certain aspect of your hack by defining other fields it can work with.

Main Takeaway

There are a million ways to get ideas for your hack. I only presented a few of the methods I personally used in my field and how it can apply to your personal creative endeavors. Also, do not get discouraged if an idea does not work. I do not believe that an idea can come across in a linear fashion.

Instead, I would highly encourage for ideation to be more of a messy process of going back and forth filled with a lot of revisions and feedback in order to achieve the full potential of your hack ideas!

I hope that through this small tutorial I wrote, it can help you as well in creating your next hack idea.

To the Readers

As practice to what I just wrote, I want you to try and apply one of these methods to your hack ideas and see how it helps you present and refine your current ideas. The main point is to see what direction these methods bring your ideas to and how it helped you ideate more concrete and amazing ideas. Can’t wait to hear your ideation stories here in this thread!

14 Likes

Thanks for the helpful post, it’s nice to have this topic explained by someone who knows his stuff.

For me personally History and ancient Literature has always been a huge Inspiration.

In the Chinese Epic “Romance of the Three Kingdoms” for example, there is a scene where the weaker of two armies is surely to be defeated if they stand and fight in the city they are defending, inspite of it’s defensive advantages. So what do they do? They completely open the gates, clear the city of any people, and put their commander on top of the city gate to play a musical instrument, practically inviting the enemies to enter.
For the enemies however this seems like an obvious ambush. They fear their lack of Information, and end up not attacking, which in the end lets the weaker army succeed.
I could totally see this being a thing in some hack. Maybe your main character takes the place as the commander here, but the enemy sees through your ruse eventually, so he ends up captured and beaten, which leads to a prison escape type chapter down the line.

History is the other big thing, and FE is already taking huge inspiration from it. Like the Western Isles in Elibe being Inspired by Celtic/Irish/Scottish Culture and history. Their capital is also quite literally called Caledonia, which is an ancient Roman name for Scotland.
I made a post detailing the possible Historical Inspirations behind the nations of Elibe here incase anyone is interested:

4 Likes

This is a nice post and TBH as somebody whos currently stuck reworking ideas for their hack this was very helpful. It seems I was using an incomplete version of the SCAMPER method to create several parts of my hack. This reminded me that creativity is a messy process and not to worry about not being “neat enough” in the way I go about creating new ideas.

3 Likes

This was a really good post! The “Worst Idea Method” sounds very interesting, I would have never thought of doing something like that.

I personally do the Mood Board method but with music rather than images. My current project draws a lot of inspiration from the music I listen to, and I made a whole playlist of songs that were inspirations for character arcs, plot points, etc as well as songs that convey the tone i want to go for

3 Likes

re: the thing about ilia, I recently read a post somewhere comparing ilia to switzerland in its neutrality that is secured by having their primary industry be mercenary work

3 Likes

Its fine Ysor. The important thing about things like SCAMPER and Worst Ideas or any other ideation method is to find a way to translate an inspiration to an idea. Its fine if you cannot think for every field in SCAMPER since its just a framework you can use to make ideas out of your existing inspiration for the hack. Did this just today with me changing a recruit requirement and somewhat on a gameplay perspective it works but narrative wise it needs to be refined. Thats just me applying the S of SCAMPER. You’ll get there. I know so man!

2 Likes

I guess that would somewhat make sense, although i would still say the cultural aspects are mainly Norse/East Slavic.

The mercenary aspect fits with the Varangian guard and norse mercenaries more than Swiss mercenaries imo, since Ilia is known as a harsh land where there are not many other money making ways, which makes the people tough, and eager to go out to make money, while the swiss mercenaries, as far as i know, could’ve lived a good and quiet life in Switzerland, but decided to become adventurerers out of the desire to see the world, fufill a purpose, hone their combat skill, money etc.

Although i am not all that well versed when it comes to the Varangian Guard or Swiss mercenaries as with other topics, so correct me if i’m wrong.