[Indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Epic emote.

I think that was clearly shown at the trailer

First of all, I hope work is still going well for yā€™all during theseā€¦ difficult times.

Iā€™m relatively new to the rom hacking scene, so Iā€™ve only ever heard of Midnight Sun, but Iā€™m honestly super hype for this. Itā€™s great to see someone going farther with their ideas and making money from it, so once Iā€™m not a broke boy Iā€™ll probably add to the kickstarter funding (assuming I still have time).

Turn Based rpgs are my bread and butter so Iā€™m excited to see where this goes, but, in case things arenā€™t too far into production, I think it might feel more natural if when characters do their attack and action animations they turned towards the enemy and showed the player their backs so that it looks less stilted (if thatā€™s the word) and like theyā€™re actually fighting enemies in front of them.

6 Likes

Hey there! Thank you very much for the kind words of support, much appreciated. :slight_smile:
Regarding your first question: yes, weā€™re still working at a steady pace despite the CoVID-19 situation, even if our progress is slower than usual and there will be some delays. But weā€™re definitely still working hard on the game while also prioritizing the team membersā€™ health and other IRL matters that have surfaced for them.

As for your second question, we have already addressed battle animations in a video shared in January:

We can confirm that this new approach to battles has been implemented.
We will also share a preview in the upcoming weeks, while also working on the other aspects that need our attention before the Demo release.

Thanks again and have a great day!

29 Likes

LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Man I regret not being able to fund to the kickstarter; canā€™t wait to play the demo and buy the game at launch when itā€™s available!

2 Likes

itā€™d have been epic to see you in the discy wiscy :pensive:

Time for a huge update!

After 3 years (and over 10,000 hours) of development, Midnight Sun is ready to be released in Q3 2022!
You can watch the newest trailer here:

:sparkles: If you like the game and/or youā€™d like to support us,
PLEASE WISHLIST THE GAME ON STEAM!
It helps a lot due to how the Steam algorithm works. And it only takes 5 seconds. Thanks in advance!

Content overview:

• Choose your own Adventure
    Every choice matters in this story-driven game with its compelling and dynamic narrative.
    Influence your charactersā€™ stats and unlock new combat & romance options!

• Beautiful art animated in Live2D
    All of the art in Path of the Midnight Sun is hand-drawn and animated with the Live2D technology to fully preserve the artistā€™s touch.
    There are over 150 models in the game!

• Fully orchestrated SoundTrack
    Every track in the game has been carefully planned and composed with a lot of love.
    The OST features more than 3 hours of orchestrated music!

• Professional Voice Over
    More than 50 characters have been voiced by professional voice actors who have big roles in the anime & gaming industry!

• The tactics of an RPG with the narrative depth of a VN
    Path of the Midnight Sun has its own gameplay twist. We wanted to create a fresh and unique gameplay experience.

• Interact with the world!
    Thereā€™s a lot you can do in the world of Arvium. With a point-and-click system, you can investigate the locales to uncover mysteries and collect materials used for forging & cooking.

• Customize your characters
    Every main character has a flexible Skill Tree which fosters replayability. In addition to that, their relationships and mental state also influence their proficency in combat.

• Recruit Adjutants
    During your adventure youā€™ll meet many characters that can be recruited to aid you in combat. These Adjutants expand your teamā€™s tactics for ever-changing combos and possibilities!

32 Likes

Get that bread, gamers!

Liked twice for Phoebe.

5 Likes

Some updates!

Screenshots

Original Soundtrack Videos

The entire OST is fully orchestrated.

Battle Theme I

Faratrasā€™ Theme

Sir OrniĆØresā€™ Theme

The game will be featured in Steam Next Fest between Oct. 3rd - 10th, make sure to check out the official Steam page if you want to try the free demo!
It will have around 3 hours of content.

The final version of the game will be released very soon as well.

19 Likes

I posted a long reflection about the past 10 years, and how Fire Emblem has impacted me as a developer and as a person.
Give it a read if youā€™re curious. :slight_smile:
Cheers

14 Likes

That was a very heart-warming reading ! It really feel how much Fire Emblem and romhacking as impacted your life :blush:

And honestly I could really relate with my current situation when you talked about how you had to stop at some point romhacking to find a ā€œreal jobā€, and later werenā€™t happy with your everyday work and decided to go back to making game, I hope that some days I will also do the last part ahah :smile:

Wish you the best for the release ! And Iā€™m sure you will continue to inspire a lot of peoples with your games !

2 Likes

Thank you for your comment, itā€™s much appreciated! :smiley: And Iā€™m sure you will also find the time to do what you really enjoy - life is too short to let go of your dreams. You have my support, friend!

4 Likes

Mark the date on your calendars!
Path of the Midnight Sun releases on Steam on JANUARY 10TH, 2023! :sparkles:
It will cost $24.99, and early birds will enjoy a 10% discount during the first week of launch!
The Original SoundTrack with almost 3 hours of fully orchestrated music in .flac format (best quality) will also launch on the same day.

Itā€™s been a long journey, but weā€™re almost there!

24 Likes

Will this be playable on a Mac? Also congrats!! Iā€™ve been lurking on FE forums for a long time and have fond memories of your initial idea for this and to see it blossom into a fully fledged game is amazing to see! Congratulations, canā€™t wait to play!

2 Likes

I just finished the original midnight sun romhack, Iā€™m really looking forward to this!

1 Like

Thank you!! It means a lot!
Mac compatibility is in the plans, I still canā€™t say for sure if it will be available at launch day but you can expect it soon anyway!

1 Like

The game released today.
Path of the Midnight Sun
Iā€™ll take a review copy in exchange for bumping the thread and providing further social media shilling :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Indeed! Itā€™s out!!
Thanks for following this journey since the early days in 2012!

43 Likes

Congrats on the release, Alfred! Itā€™s crazy seeing it go from its humble origins to a fully-realized vision.

8 Likes

That image is so cute, my heartā€™s about to explode into a morbillion pieces.

Grats on the release, Alfred! I shouted you out on repocord. I wanna see the first FE-hack-to-game make some big bux!

2 Likes