HP Bars hack question

Question about the HP Bars hack:

Normally, when you have the toggleable version of the HP Bars hack (They can be turned On and Off in the Game Options), not only are the HP Bars themselves toggled, but also the (!) warnings for killer and effective weapons. When HP Bars are turned Off, these icons are ALSO turned Off. (Bottom Right)

So, my question is the following:
Would it be possible to edit the ASM to have it so that the two (!) icons are ALWAYS enabled, but the HP Bars stay toggleable?

I think this would be much more aesthetically and functonally pleasing for players.

This is pointless imo. Just remove the hp bars toggle in options so the player cannot remove hp bars / ! icons. Most people never turn off hp bars anyway.

I think if you really want this niche functionality that you should learn to edit the asm for it.

I do.
Because I don’t like HP Bars. I think they are clutter.
HOWEVER, I do acknowledge that most people DO like HP Bars. That’s why I’m making this post.

It’s all about having more accessibility.

Have you tried deleting the hp bar icons from the system icon image?

You could always erase the HP bars and keep the alert icons - or duplicate the toggle and the hp bar/alert info, I guess.

P.D.: same braincell

1 Like

Without looking at the code, I’d be very surprised if this would not be possible. HP bars and (!) warnings are most likely displayed on the screen as separate sprites, you’d have to change the code such that the HP bars being drawn does depend on the option being toggled, but the (!) symbols being drawn does not.

If (toggle != off) {
  display HP bar if applicable
}
display (!) warning if applicable
1 Like

But that permanently removes HP bars. I will do that if I have no other option, but I would prefer if there was the option to toggle them while keeping the (!) icons always on

They are separate sprites, but they are part of the same “section” so to say.

If you have the HP Bars toggle Off, then the (!) icons don’t show up. So the code would have to be changed so that it reads the image differently… I assume. I don’t know much about Assembly code. That’s why I’m asking for help.

It’s probably the easiest way to experience games without hp bars but with danger icons for you.

You’re not wrong. But I don’t want the easy eay out. The people in this site have made all sorts of things possible with ASM. I just want to see if what I’m talking about is possible or not.

And also, I REALLY don’t mean to be rude. Truly. But why are you replying if you’re just going to dismiss the question? The point of a Question Topic is to seek help on a hack. You’re not contributing to the topic this way.

1 Like

Assuming you’re talking about this patch, here’s the code it’s using:

I’ve highlighted the part that checks the option byte to see if HP Bars & warnings are toggled off. Fortunately, Circles and/or Tequila did a good job annotating what does what.

I’d recommend reading through this code to see what it’s doing exactly. If you apply this patch to a fresh ROM and go to this routine (it’s hooked at 0x276b4) in no$gba, you can trace through the code and make non-permanent changes to get a feel for how stuff works. There’s a guide on how to use no$gba here. There’s more info on asm and even some example projects guiding you step-by-step in that tutorial as well.

I’m actually talking about this one here
(IDK how to embed Github pages)

Looks like mostly the same implementation, although there might be some minor differences. My advice is the same.

1 Like