How would you simplify Fire Emblem for non-FE players?

I wasn’t thinking a tutorial. I never said this was a tutorial. I was thinking optional prologue chapters that have substance to it with actual stuff going on. There’s no tutorial text boxes or forced moves, the player needs to figure it out for themselves. These chapters include many different gameplay concepts and things to experiment with that allow them to get used to how the game plays.

I think either removing most weapon triangle and make it like FE1 or just do it like Fire Emblem heroes. (HP, Atk, Spd, Def, Res. FE Heroes movment, everything hits)

1 Like

My idea to simplify FE but keep the core of the gameplay would be to remove Cons, Wt, durability (possibly), and switch to single RNG and raise the Hit% of all weapons appropriately.
Weapon effective is x2, crit is x2, Supports don’t effect stats, remove elemental affinity unless you plan on it actually having it as a legitimate gameplay mechanic (None of that biorhythm BS)

So basically what Echoes did but without all the crazy stuff Echoes did.
Ideally it would feel as simple/intuitive as Advance Wars 2 or FFTA.
The gameplay depth would come from immaculate map and chapter designs instead of nitty gritty stat modifiers.

Like just remove all the jank that only legit fans care about.

This goes without saying, but keep Classic mode and Linear story progression. That 100% is the heart of Fire Emblem.

1 Like

Unit death

Absolutely, don’t remove this.
Personally, my favorite approach is one of the options from Immortal Sword: A unit has so many “lives”.

It gives both things (permadeath and letting mistakes not kill you) in a pretty decent way, while making dying still feel like something that matters.

Weapon Triangle

I hold the precisely opposite view – I think the triangle should be made more important to me.

No Constitution

FE3 called. I like this for sure; but it’d be better to remove Weight and make it more obviously apparent what Attack Speed is.

Actually explaining game mechanics

This is a necessity.

Stats

I’d argue that increasing the influence of Luck in the formulae would be the most appropriate; as opposed to trying to rework the mechanics themselves. It’s mostly intuitive elements.

Critical Strikes

Double damage critical is much more palatable to play around with as a source of variance than triple.

Effective Weapons

Changing these to double sucks in FE7. It makes using them not feel worthwhile most of the time. They’re heavier and only a hair stronger than ie. Silver; so using them just feels like gimping yourself against any secondary enemies.

Strength as Constitution

This is the worst idea I have ever read. Don’t do this. This makes Strength an insanely overvaluable stat.

5 Likes

The simplest I can make it is "strategymmo with chess-like feautures and rock and paper-scissors.

1 Like