How To Make Greatlances And Poleaxes Work Outside Of FE10

I’m sure the Engage smash weapons are there to fill a completely different role compared to what they did in Radiant Dawn, so it seems odd to me to compare the two.
Would be neat to find a way to have both sets work, but that’s besides the point.

1 Like

Imo this achieves mostly the same result at the end of the day, it can work to do flat speed debuffs instead of weight, fates does it and i’ve seen a few hacks do it. Personally i prefer con/weight as I think it throws a bone to slow high con classes like fighter and knight and allows more of a sliding scale of speed debuff but, in principle high weight is just a -x speed with some caveats.
But if anything the peg is more likely to be doubled in weight/con system I think, depends how you do your numbers though.

Also weight does not impact weapon accuracy, it’s just heavy weapons typically have less accuracy. If that’s what you meant.

1 Like

Personally, I think that Greatlances and Poleaxes would just be bloat in the GBA context. In Engage, they have a unique mechanic, and in Radiant Dawn they work, because it’s a game with higher numbers, and weapon Weight is countered by Strength instead of Constitution.

For these heavy weapon variants to be worth it outside of just blades, you’d proably have to reduce damage on almost all other weapons, or increase the stat caps of classes to something more akin to Awakening, with stats going into the 40s and 50s. And even then, you run into the issue of having limited space for total amount of items (Only 254 max).

This I don’t think is bad. Because the Iron and steel blades also out-damage the regular lances and axes of the same tier. I don’t think that damage output warrants adding more heavy weapons.

Personally, I’m more of a fan of weapons with special niches, or unique secondary effects. Like the Devil Axe, Swordslayer, Ladyblade, Superior Edge, Calamity Gate, Aircalibur, Nosferatu, Luna, ETC…