Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror (Concept for FE8 ROM Hack)

Hi BakaBonobo,

Faith’s AI is indeed to target Leah. I did some testing around where she goes on her first turn by trying many different opening setups. As you can see, many setups do have Faith move toward Leah; however, there are some setups that cause Faith to fly off like an imbecile. Sigh

I am going to instead hard code Faith to move to the same position every time and never move. The variance here does bother me.

I’ll post a fix for this momentarily. Again, I apologize for any frustration I may have caused. Thank you for pointing this out to me. I am trying to keep improving this hack.

1 Like

I think you will like Helga*.

3 Likes

Hello there!

I just finished your hack and I must say it’s pretty good. The difficulty (played on normal, but still had to restart a few times :D), the different mission goals (especially the prison and 2vs bandit one for example) and the sidequests for the white lions to get to know the chars better are really cool. I also like that not every char is a beautiful Marthipan prince.

The story also has some nice new ideas with the pictures and rhyming stuff and i really wanted to know what’s in the tomb.

I felt like Boones promotion is a bit late.

I encountered a bug in chapter 19 i think (where you get Leah and co again). I visited the bottom left village with Wanda, had the talk with grandma and then evil granny froze the game on the map with the enemies still bouncing. Sorry no screenshot, I’m a fool.

Thanks for the hack!
And i love Helga<3

1 Like

Hi Lumpi,

Thanks for your comments and feedback. To Conquer Death might be one of my favorite chapter too, but it’s up in the air. I find myself never playing the same way and like how it’s Myles and Joseph central as opposed to Leah or Boone.

Boone’s promotion will actually not be too late in the grand scheme of things. There will be about 15 more chapters left in the game for him to make use of his promotion, which coincides with a lot of other Fire Emblem game’s pacing. The Lonely Mirror is just going to be pretty long.

Chapter 19 Bug Fixed:
Ah, I am not super surprised by the bug that you encountered. That village is expected to grant a different item depending on who visits the village. Basically a testing nightmare. I have updated the UPS file that should fix the problem. Now, only Leah, Brett, Vergil, Kathryn, and Grant are given a special item. Anyone else who visits the village gets a Secret Book. Thank you for pointing this out to me, Lumpi. My intention was not to make Evil Granny the boss of the game, but things can change. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh i see. 15 is a lot, awesome.

Also nice & thanks. Give me your loot, evil granny! More good or bad Grandmas as units or enemies would actually be nice in FE when i think about it :smiley: But her loot has to be good enough^_^.

1 Like

the link is that on the discription? the 3.3 ups file?

1 Like

Is this updated pass ch8?
Cuz i think some of the portraits a a lot years after

1 Like

I am not entirely sure of your question.

The 3.3 UPS file is the latest update, and it does play past Ch 8 (to Ch 20). I had fixed a couple of issues, hence the patches:

• Ch 4: Faith now goes to a set spot on the map and waits for Leah to speak with her to recruit.
  • Ch 9: It was possible to receive a Game Over seemingly randomly if certain decisions were made. This should not happen anymore.
  • Ch 19: Visiting the western village with certain characters would freeze the game previously.
  • Corrected Tanya’s branch promotion and palette.
1 Like

I replayed this and I will say that I liked the change at the start to add more mystery.

1 Like

I love Ariel she is my new favorite character

1 Like

Neat! I am happy this worked for you. I originally intended to have that type of chapter much later, but I felt it would be too much and too sudden if this occurred on Chapter 20. Additionally, just way too much to explain, and there is already a lot during that time.

1 Like

Ariel is great. Honestly it is impossible for me to choose a favorite character. After going through the motions of designing them I get attached to them all in some way. That being said, Ariel is a great unit and works well as your primary staff user.

2 Likes

I got around to playing this rom hack update over the weekend to fill my FE void before the 3H DLC. I gotta say I had a lot of fun with it. My thoughts:

Story: I like the changes that you made to the story at the beginning. It provided yet another level of mystery. I continue to enjoy the ensemble cast feel. Most all the characters have a story within the main story.

Characters: Overall, I like the character design. It’s nice to see facial hair representation in a FE game for a change. I think my favorites were Wise and Wanda. Joseph is amusing. Boone can be very vanilla at times but enjoy his dynamics with Myles. I’d like to see supports at some point understand it takes time.

Standout maps:
Prelude 3: I had to make every turn count. The whole map was exciting.
Chapter 16: This mission just felt unique with the prison escape element. Unexpected story drops as part of the map instead of intro/ending.
Chapter 18: I liked the enemy placement and pacing on this map. There was a point where the enemy broke down a wall an killed Ariel. I had to restart, but liked the dynamic.

Least favorite maps:
Chapter 8: The first half was exciting, but it felt slow near the end with all the dark mages holding choke points.
Chapter 14 felt underwhelming to me. Most of the battle took place in the center and the left and right wasn’t utilized. I suggest changing up the enemy placement maybe.

Final party on Chapter 20: Boone, Joseph, Wise, Ariel, Wanda, Myles, Noelle, Silvan, Vergil, Caspian, Queenie, and Leah (I guess).

Looking forward to see where this project goes.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. Any feedback goes a long way. Without it I’ll just assume things are perfect :slight_smile: - even though that’s not the case. I am happy that you overall had a fun time playing. It makes the whole experience of making this ROM hack more worth it another person can enjoy playing it too.

The chapters you called out as your favorites are actually some of mine too. Although, those chapters took some of the longest time to build and get right. Similarly, support conversations are on my list too, but that is a big tackle right now. Dialog has taken a long time in general.

I know what you mean regarding Ch 14. I think someone else had that thought too. I can try to play around with the enemy placement or reinforcements to tighten this up. Chapter 8, we’ll see. That one isn’t on my list to go back to anytime soon, but I will keep your thoughts in the back of my mind.

Up to Chapter 26 will probably be the next segment released eventually. It’s a long game.

2 Likes

Wait what will happen and can you still recruit that thunder mage at the A path? (Tho the path split is short)

And theres a bug… Saoirse(no spoiler cuz she hinted she will join u) can use the florette to promote and gain 1 con wtf

Wait no its her hero promotion has only 1 con gain
But she can promote by florette to great knight normally (wait merc to gey knight isnt normal)

1 Like

Ah yes, I ran into that florette issue very recently too. I have fixed this on a branch that I am working on at the moment. Florette replaced the Hero’s Crest, which I will not be needing, and I needed to turn off some of that functionality. I will fix the promotional gains for Female Hero though.

Mercenaries promote into Hero or Great Knight in this Rom hack, so Saoirse’s promotion branch is intended. This is because there are already several characters who can become a Ranger: Winifred, Caden, Benji, and Liang. I didn’t feel like I needed to add a fifth. On top of this, neither Travis or Wanda can become a Great Knight. Travis can become a Gold Paladin or Flame Knight. Wanda can become a Silver Paladin or Templar. Vergil and Saoirse are the only characters who can become a Great Knight. Wyatt starts as Great Knight.

After Chapter 16, you are given a choice to go to Talford region or Dalmask region. This impacts the Chapter 17 map and dialog. In addition, choosing Talford allows you to recruit Wanda, a lance knight, while choosing Dalmask allows you to recruit Tanya, a thunder mage. Both cannot be obtained on a single route of play.

1 Like

WAIT THE Winifred and Caden maybe spoiling new players (ofc ppl 99% have guessed they are good guys , judging from that they will retreat instead of dying ) at the chap .
Yup players can easily see the promotion options by using the master seal and press B
BTW can you hint players that there will be clear inventory right after chap which? (I recall 10) cuz I think I lost all my expensive saved weapons and statboosters (meh)
wait great knight only them? ok may as well save a master seal here (lol)

Edit:wait can the shaman at ch18 be recruited?

1 Like

I added a pop-up message to Ch 10 to indicate to go wild with your items. Supply reset after the chapter. It will be in the next release.

Violet cannot be recruited. She is a conditional unit that only appears on Ch 18 if she was not killed during Ch 12. If I do end up adding another dark mage character, he will be male; male dark mages have an entirely different promotional tree compared to female, which is not even shown.

1 Like

Do you plan to remove the “New” part of the thread name?

1 Like

It’s gotta be part of the branding like in New Super Mario Bros.

1 Like