Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror (Concept for FE8 ROM Hack)

The hack is less than a year old, still new!

2 Likes

Honestly, I think ā€œNewā€ is probably fine right now. I am perceiving this hack to be pretty under the radar at this time. I mean, my two big releases were very close to Three Houses and Ashen Wolves expansion too. I have gotten a few messages recently that are ā€œdidnā€™t know this was a thingā€ tone. I will drop the ā€œNewā€ from the title eventually, but this project is very much new and still in flux.

4 Likes

So I finally got around to playing it and I made it to Prelude 1 and here are my tldr:

=-=-=
Your units feel very weak incomparison to enemies. You all feel super squishy and practically no defenisive growths, enemies have high str and can 2-3shot almost anyone, if you donā€™t use your Healer everyturn I feel like you just die.

Slim swords are the worst item in any Fire Emblem game ever. then theres the Zanbato, Armorslayer, Slim lance tier.

You seem to get effective weapons, that arenā€™t effective vs the people you fight. I got a horseslayer after the chapter with horses, an axereaver on a chapter with two fighters etc etc

Anima triangle is nice to see, executed badly. Brett can one-shot or barely not oneshot wind mages. Then if he doesnā€™t kill them or miss, they turn around and hit him twice almost halving his HP.

Your lance users are garbage. Armor knight gets doubled by everyone and doesnā€™t have the Def/HP to tank properly or hold choke points. Faith is squishy, super low hp, low str, and low con so she canā€™t even use lances properly, AND starts with a slim lance which once again, among the worst weapon in the series.

Roxie is a terrible unit. PRF with 60hit to silence mages, with a whopping 16hp and 6skill to start with? She has a ~74% to hit. And if she misses she gets countered and shat on.

Leah leah leahā€¦ Ever wanted the speed of Eirika with the Str growth of lyn with a really weak starting weapon? Boom you have leah. She canā€™t one round almost anyone, takes a long time to get doubling people. And has a horrible weapon to start with, you have to use the Rapier to do almost anything in the early chapters. Also Iā€™m sorry for this too butā€¦ Her mug is god awful, worst in the entire game. I legit had to change her mug before starting the game because I canā€™t stand to look at her face.

=-=-= good things (hooray)

Music is good, palettes are complete and not all messed up like some hacks. Like how can you not have your battle palette ready when you release your game? Like ???

Maps and map objectives are nice, probably biggest complaint is alot of 1 tile chokepoints with no units toā€¦ choke the point.

Economy is real. Just enough money to get buy, and not too much to ignore and not too little to be wanting more.

=-=-= all in all

most of your units suck hard. Difficulty is pretty good, some things feel a little more BS then usual (cough almost every mage in the game /end cough) (hard cough double nosferatu mages with 20damage against your no res units holding a checkpoint with ELWIND mages spawning on cliffs isnā€™t fun /end hardcough)

But itā€™s a fun solid hack. Also get my man Boone a blanket, heā€™s paler then a motha- snow. Paler then snow.

2 Likes

You surely donā€™t mince matters. Criticism is good but I feel like you forget that most people do this as a hobby and just for fun probably. Also whatā€™s with your hate for slim weapons? They are maybe useless but then you can just ignore them. Just saying.

2 Likes

Ehhhhh. While I didnā€™t like Leahā€™s portrait, I didnā€™t find it that revolting. After youā€™ve seen enough CharacterCreator portraits Leah looks tame in comparison.

1 Like

Harsh, but I do like that you have brought to focus some areas of improvement. Iā€™ll keep your feedback in mind when going through the early chapters to see if there is a better method of distributing item drops.

Iā€™ll see if I can redo Leahā€™s portrait at some point. My own ability is my only limitation here. I believe I am improving though.

1 Like

Although Leahā€™s portrait is bad it might get better post time skip

1 Like

I like your positivity here, but I am not sure she has a huge glow up or anything. Leah is already being disappointing today. You can see for yourself the current state of things.

FE_LM_Leah
In any case, Iā€™ll have to go back at some point and fine-tune things in the hack like portraits. Thatā€™s all I can really do.

2 Likes

It does get better post tineskip, but I also forgot to mention I love the beards. We need more in FEs

1 Like

Ah, yes. There are a good number of guys with facial hair in this hack. There are a lot more beards than I was originally intending. I had thought that it made more sense given Celysteā€™s setting.

A facial hair only run of this game could actually be very possible. No healer though :fearful:. I might try it at some point to spice up my test plays.

3 Likes

You get Vergil for the early-game, andā€¦ honestly, heā€™s good enough that you donā€™t need anyone else. The biggest issue is honestly just that he canā€™t cover multiple fronts on maps like Chapter 2, so Leah will probably get swarmed and killed if you donā€™t Rescue her (which, in turn, might make Vergil get doubled and die himself).

1 Like

Let me breakdown Slim weapons, mostly Slim Swords

Iron Sword: 5mt, 90hit, 5wt, 0crt, 46uses, 460gold
Slim Sword: 3mt, 100hit, 3wt, 5crt, 30uses, 480gold

So right off the bat the big hitter is the weight. 5 weight is that of a Iron Sword. Ellen, Niime, Raigh, Lalum, Lilina then Florina, Fiora, Nils and Finally Lute Natasha. Those are almost all the characters in GBA games that have less then 5con. All of which are either a mage, dancer, healer, or pegasus knight (never realized that before dear god.) Notice something? All of those people canā€™t use swords. In GBA fire emblem there isnā€™t a single sword user under 5 con. So the reduced weight from slim sword means nothing. Next pointā€¦

Iron 5, Slim 3mt. So you donā€™t get any faster from using a slim sword then iron, and you lose 2damage a hit, upto 4 if you double. Early game when you are using the slim sword 2-4 damage is easily the difference between one rounding and two rounding a foe. Or god forbid 3 rounds on a NORMAL enemy. NEEEXT

Iron 90, Slim 100hit. Is that 10hit really gonna matter? Sometimes it does against lance users, but at that point you are at a weapon disadvantage so you lose even more might and that bonus hit. Against axe users with low skill, low speed, low luck you donā€™t need that extra 10hit. NEEEEEXT

5crit on a slim sword. Are you telling me youā€™d use this horrible weapon for an additional 5% chance to deal 3x damage? Iā€™m not gonna calculate how long that takes to payoff. NEEEEEEEEEEEEXT

46 uses on Iron vs 30 on Slim. Just read that line again. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT

Slim sword costs more. Very slightly, but it costs MORE MONEY? Why? NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!

As you yourself quoted ā€œthey are maybe useless, but then you can just ignore themā€. If my MC starts with a Rapier with low uses and a slim sword, and I ignore the slim sword (what I did) Your rapier breaks in the sewer level on this game. LAAAAAAAAAST

Thatā€™s why Slim Sword in GBA is the worst weapon in the series. Please stop including them into your games unless they do something special like pierce armor cause they SLIM, or go full Kaga and make them stronger then iron with +2mt, +10hit and same uses.

3 Likes

You know, you could of make your own thread complaining about slim weapons in GBA FE games than hijack someone project thread. It makes you look like a bad person, at least to me it does.

1 Like

He asked I answered.

1 Like

Oh I think I have to make clear what I meant. I understand why you donā€™t like slim weapons. Itā€™s not the first feedback where you included your thoughts on them. And Iā€™m sure nobody will disagree with you on most parts of your arguments.

What I donā€™t understand is why you hate about them in feedback texts. It seems to make you furious. Letā€™s not forget that people do this as a hobby and for fun.
Like Iā€™m sure hack creators have other things in mind when doing their creative work. So instead of changing those slim weapons or deleting them, they just let them stay in the game and you can ignore them. I can agree with you that if your units start with one, itā€™s pretty useless, except maybe for slim lances on pegasus knights.

All I want to say is: I have the feeling you focus on them a bit too much or you let yourself get annoyed by them too much.

2 Likes

laughs in Sanctaea Chronicles, where AS is pure Spd - Wt and Slim weapons actually have an at least early-game niche

1 Like

Yes, slim swords do suckā€¦ But I barely even remember the slim sword situation in this hack. Donā€™t you get access to rapier, iron swords, a long sword, and magic sword fairly early?

I also donā€™t think anyone was really debating with you regarding slim swords, and it looks like your feedback would be taken into consideration from your previous post.

3 Likes

What if the game give u a 2 con sofia unit lol

1 Like

Donā€™t worry about that, art shouldnā€™t be the priority. Make the game you want and once itā€™s done (or nearly done) then you can start working on improving it. Gameplay and story are more important at this point in development!

Also, Leahā€™s portrait is not as bad as ArcaneEli makes it out to be. Itā€™s unrefined sure, but itā€™s a solid base. Not being able to play without changing it is a big overreaction and acting like itā€™s the worst thing ever is just mean. I quite like her current design, red and purple work well together.

6 Likes

In my experience, slim swords are only useful in the early game when your sword users donā€™t have alot of speed (except myrmidons). I am playing an FE6 hack where in the early chapters, Roy could attack a fighter once with an Iron Sword but he could double-attack with a Slim Sword. The marginal weight makes a difference depending on your characterā€™s SPD stat. Theyā€™re not completely terrible.

2 Likes