Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade 'Remake' [FE6 in FE8] [COMPLETE]

@jackofblades1991

It requires Barth/Bors, Roy, Lilina, and Elen. Roy is force deployed. Lilina you want to deploy anyway as she’s one of the few units that’s good at killing the boss herself, not to mention you just obtained her in C8 and it’s good to build up support with Roy right away. So it’s really just Barth/Bors and Elen that’s extra. I think unpromoted Bors actually might not be able to survive, because despite having ~18 effective Def before buffs from other characters, he might not have enough HP. If you promote Barth/Bors, then you probably wouldn’t need Elen.

I was actually able to iron out what exactly is causing the issue due to my experiments. I didn’t notice it till after I posted but the second picture it actually what their stats show in the builder before disabling their autolevels, so what is causing their explosive stat increase is the FE6 hard mode bonus being added ontop of the normal hard mode bonus.

Ah. I was wondering why Fighters (quickly becomes 10+), Pirates (15+ in C9, which is causing Fir not to double), Cavs/Paladins (12+, Paladin has 18 Spd I think in C7) had such insane Spd in this hack. Thought the stat inflation was intended by ZeN, but maybe not. Maybe he accidentally gave out too many hard mode bonus levels and then buffed the playable characters to compensate (some of whom were overbuffed), which is why everybody seems so busted compared to vanilla.

Since you were curious about mages, look no further than the Sage on C9:

If you don’t oneshot him, he has a chance to hit you with 37 base Atk + 20% chance for 18 extra damage. If it’s player phase, additionally he could get +4 from Opportunist.

Sue is the only reliable option to deal with the Sage I think at this point in the game, as she’s the only unit with 3 range (from Prf).

Yeah, this is why adding the hard mode bonus patch can be a bit weird comparitively, since FE6 hard mode does actually work differently then FE7 or FE8’s hard mode since in my digging I ended up finding an old gamefaqs thread that pointed to a serenes thread that ended up informing me that atleast two units were coded to not get hard mode bonuses in vanilla FE6 (i only remember Lugh being named specfically) where as HMB don’t work like this in FE7-8 since their HM bonuses are determined per map.

So I suppose its more accurate to say it’s the FE6 Hard Mode bonuses being added onto FE8’s hard mode bonuses that at fault.

Granted I didn’t even figure this all out until I decided to spend like 4 hours over two different days tinkering across 3 different maps. Ironically I wouldn’t have actually figured out the exact culprit without me needing to try to actually explain it all to adalvar, and choosing to look at a chapter 1 enemy and noticing the exactly 5 points (3 strength 2 skill) of difference between Normal and Hard on an enemy set to ‘do not grow’.

Then ironing out “do not grow” disables the default HMB and leaves the FE6 bonus intact was just from working out were the massive stat differences were coming from.

So at least we now know what the culprit is.

(I completely blanked on that sage since I punched right through him)

Sorry to ask but I want to know about the latest version, can I play through the whole tower and ruin and maybe get some hidden bonus characters now? I played through this hack when it just released, and Ch1 just has two characters. I tried to play the tower and ruin then and just a few floors can play then. Sorry for my poor English.

@Sakai_Hikari @ZeN2002

I just tried the first floor of Tower of Valni. After completing it, it looks like I was not able to go to Floor 2 (player will get looped back to Floor 1).

I took a look at the chapter end event:

Since I was looped back to Floor 1, game apparently went into the “Retreat” case. Weird.

Speaking of retreat

@ZeN2002 was wondering why the retreat option isn’t available for tower (not sure about ruins yet since i kept replaying before ch.21 every new release XD)

I find another error.
Between 2 class i wonder which one is better?

In my opinion, Seraph Knight will be the better option since the sword rank that Falcoknights get will only allow them to use the slim and iron swords which have basically no might. Shanna has a very amazing magic stat and growth that can allow her to accompany, say, Melady when they have to go somewhere and give her healing.

2 Likes

So, side note here, if one were to add FE6 style hard mode bonuses to FE7 hard mode, how much of a difference would we talking about in regards to units like Heath, Harken, Geitz and Vaida who get those late-game bonuses? Ball park it if you can.

I can’t honestly answer that but it all depends on how it’s default hard mode bonuses are set up however I would conservatively estimate about 20-30% better on average.

However if you do the +19 hard mode levels on top expect nearly or several capped stats depending on their autolevel flags.

Also don’t forget HHM is apparently much harder so it likely has higher internal HM levels so I’d say don’t, you’ll likely softlock yourself doing it due to enemy stats getting too high too fast.

As i’ve read HHM only offers +5 shadow levels across the campaign…not sure on the +19 for pre-promotes though. Plus enemies in FE7 later stages are turbo-weak and some of the slowest in the GBA games, so HHM isn’t that hard at all…doesn’t help that localization nerfed alot of stuff from the original japanese release (bosses could move, stats/equipement was better, last chapter where you fought Nergal and his morphs, they had two doors opening per turn)

Well I don’t exactly remember much of FE7 to be fair.

Thing is it’s not just promoted enemies that get the extra levels, i’m not 100% on it but I know regular enemies will be stronger then vanilla HM either way.

Yeah i just reread it…Eliwood HM doesn’t apply the 5 extra shadow levels for all units as HHM does. Hence why units like Harkin and Heath get no bonuses. It does apply the 19 autolevels for promoted units, compared to normal mode which only uses 9 autolevels. It’s HHM that applies the extra 5 levels atop.

it seems like FE6 just doesn’t use the 10 extra shadow levels for promoted units like FE7 and FE8 later on (fun fact JP FE8 uses a weaker version of FE6 scaling HMB per chapter, which was nerfed down further in the localization), but rather just sets its HMB as scaling per chapter to everyone. That being said, as someone who’s played vanilla FE6 and 7, there is a major difference in difficulty. My go to example is Binding Blade vs Victory or Death. Both are pretty similar chapters in their story placement, but Victory or Death is much easier compared to Binding Blade…Yes, numbers wise, VoD has more enemies, but stat-wise they are quite a bit weaker (Sages, Paladins, Wyverns). Also another comparison is Limstella vs Peres, the latter being quite a bit stronger across the board.

Yeah, i’m still a little shocked I could parse as much as I did out what weirdness went on stat wise.

I’m always a little hesitant to start experimenting with roms so heavily since I could easily break something if I’m not careful.

I just hope we don’t end up overloading ZeN with all this data and info we’ve collected.

3 Likes

I guess the cleanest method to instate a nice scaling difficulty without breaking the whole thing is disable or reduce the pre-promoted autoleveling bonuses in hard mode and just keep the regular hard mode bonuses scaling across the various chapters. Most enemies in the Binding Blade chapter actually have really high bonuses (some even come with certain capped stats) compared to their normal mode counterparts.

EDIT: Side note…Aptitude Shanna is a broken monster…i capped all of my stats except HP by level 15.

@ZeN2002 @adalvar

That being said, as someone who’s played vanilla FE6 and 7, there is a major difference in difficulty. My go to example is Binding Blade vs Victory or Death. Both are pretty similar chapters in their story placement, but Victory or Death is much easier compared to Binding Blade

Besides the stat differences, there’s also a lack of promoted units in FE7 late game.

Mangs addressed the lack of promoted units but only kind of addressed the stat difference in his balance patch (which, in general, is a great patch). Oddly, he increased hard mode bonuses a ton in VoD but all other levels remain the same (5 level bonus).

I guess the cleanest method to instate a nice scaling difficulty without breaking the whole thing is disable or reduce the pre-promoted autoleveling bonuses in hard mode and just keep the regular hard mode bonuses scaling across the various chapters.

This is what I would have done if I were the dev of PE or this project. Enemies/enemy scaling was already fine in vanilla, with hard mode bonuses increasing all the way to 15/16 levels by endgame. Changing enemy stats drastically just makes it harder to balance since you can’t leverage years of experience of knowing how hard the game felt. Better to keep something static that was already fine and focus on balancing the playable units. Due to skillsys, some stats do need altering to compensate. But for the most part, it could be left the way it was.

EDIT: Side note…Aptitude Shanna is a broken monster…i capped all of my stats except HP by level 15.

Both Shanna and Thea need to be hit with the nerf bat. Wing Spear and Seraph Knight access were already big buffs to them which was already questionable because being fliers, they didn’t really need buffs in the first place (Juno’s the only one that needed any sort of buffs being a very late joiner with bad stats). No need to make them stat monsters as well.

There’s two problems with the balance of this hack imo:

One problem is just general power creep/enemy and playable unit stat inflation. Part of this is due to the extra HM bonuses that jackofblades1991 pointed out, which may have been an accident. Part of it looks to also just be how PE was designed (my understanding is ZeN originally copied a lot of base stats/growths from PE).

Other problem is that certain characters were given a favoritism treatment, turning weak characters into busted characters/butchering their feel completely relative to vanilla rather than just making them not trash, while other characters were given nothing.

ZeN has made some good adjustments in the past month or so (for example I really like how the nerf to Bors in 3/14 patch makes the early game feel), but these are still pretty glaring issues.

As an example, looking at archers/snipers/rangers: Why would someone use Klein when he’s basically vanilla Klein statwise (a.k.a. nothing special) but Wolt has (1) perfect availability; (2) significantly better stats by the time Klein joins. (3) not only has a Prf but it’s a Prf with effective damage to armor/cavs/flying with 40 uses (it used to have 2-3 range and gave +3 Spd as well which was totally absurd but thankfully ZeN removed that in the 3/14 patch) making it a good Hammerne candidate compared to Prfs with worse effects and only ~25 uses. (4) Wolt has Ranger/horse access.

Similar thing with Wolt vs. Dorothy. In vanilla it was comparing trash vs. trash (they’re GBA archers, stats very similar, no skillsys). But in this hack, Wolt got buffed hard and Dorothy got almost nothing. She’s the “strength archer” apparently but that’s not really good at all when you don’t double for awhile and when Wolt has both good strength and speed (unlike Lance and Alen where they really are strength cav vs. speed cav). She also has no Prf. She has a semi-Prf in the Shining Bow due to her Mag stat and growth but Shining Bow only has 25 uses and isn’t really that amazing compared to Wolt’s Bow. She also faces low crit chances off the bat in her join chapter (which Wolt does not face because he has high enough Lk), which is especially bad if you’re trying to Ironman. She has some niche in her personal skill (Drive Strength) but that’s about it. Her advantage of availability and having access to Ranger compared to Igrene/Klein is bogged down by being relatively difficult to train, and Wolt is better than her if you want a Ranger (rather than 2).

Igrene’s stats remind me of vanilla. She got Guardian’s Bow with 2-3 range + high crit and she’s a special/unique class so she can at least do something that Wolt can’t do, albeit Wolt can replicate the 2-3 range with a Longbow and Wolt has Ranger access. Only 6 Con in a promoted class (vs. Wolt, Klein, Dorothy, who have 7-9 Con promoted), so she loses AS using Killer Bows, Steel Bows, Longbows.

So as of the 3/14 patch, it’s something like Wolt (imo still in dev favoritism tier even after the latest nerfs) > Igrene (good but not broken tier. ZeN if you’re reading this don’t change her she’s fine) > Klein (doesn’t cost a promotion item tier–isn’t very bad but doesn’t stand out in any way either) > Dorothy (too much work to train her for the payoff tier/use her because you like her character tier). Klein and Dorothy are my examples here as characters that were overlooked/shafted while Wolt was just given an overkill amount of buffs.

Lilina vs. Elffin is another great example of lopsidedness, this time on the magic side of things. Lilina on promotion has access to Anima, Light, Axes, Staves. Elffin only has access to Light. Elffin has better Spd, but Lilina has better stats all around, including significantly more Mag (Lilina has ~10+ more Mag at same level), Def and Res (Lilina has ~15+ more Res at the same level). Lilina has 2 Prfs in Studied Tome and Bolt Axe. Elffin was recently buffed to have a Prf that is effective against magic units, but with his low HP, low Mag, and low Res he’s not even that good as a magekiller.

The only reasons to field Elffin right now vs. not just Lilina, but any magic user, is (a) to recruit Percival; (b) you like him as a character. Charm is a good skill, and I believe it’s unique to him, but that’s pretty much the only good thing about him right now.

1 Like

I think he addressed this in his video. VoD is a turning point in the story where you go against Nergal’s forces head on, where you get a gaiden chapter solely for shopping and getting Karla (who is much, much stronger in the hack), but the actuall vanilla chapter, while having alot of enemies is a joke due to how weak they are, so the idea is that since you get so many resources, might aswell put them to use. Also i’m pretty sure the next chapter also come with more than 5 levels worth of HMB, since Light part 1 and 2 features multiple Black Fang Morph and previous bosses with capped stats, which wasn’t a thing in vanilla. Unless he manually editted all of their stats.

Oddly enough Mangs’ FE6 balance patch reduces HMB in the first 8 chapters, by 2-3 shadow levels but increased it by 1 per chapter for the last 5 chapters, so the Idunn chapter you get units with 20 shadow levels worth of HMB. I think his work on numbers balance on FE6-7 and the skill sys on top makes for a strong experience by itself in theory. Some units would still need further adjustments like Sophia, who due to her piss-poor growths in vanilla will never live up to her Est potential and Zeiss could use some tweaks to his bases, but otherwise it’s a fine baseline to do a hack.

@adalvar

The odd part is not that VoD enemies were buffed but that he left all the other chapter bonuses the same (including Light P1 and P2). He should have scaled enemies gradually like in Binding Blade.

Oddly enough Mangs’ FE6 balance patch reduces HMB in the first 8 chapters, by 2-3 shadow levels but increased it by 1 per chapter for the last 5 chapters, so the Idunn chapter you get units with 20 shadow levels worth of HMB.

I did not play his FE6 balance patch, but I did watch the video he made about it. Making early game easier and late game harder is actually preferable to me, personally, but leaving everything vanilla is easier for devs like ZeN to work with because they have years of experience with that particular difficulty curve.

Wait, but Light part 1 and 2 has almost all enemies with multiple capped stats. Hell i remember seeing Glass, (which for some reason is a promoted Swordmaster, rather than a Hero) Uhai and Elbert with more than one capped stat. Did he manually edit the stats then?

@adalvar

I was looking at his hack in FEBuilder 1-2 months ago (was learning how to use FEBuilder and used his hack as a reference) and I believe he did. Don’t really wanna look into it right now but it’s the only possibility if he didn’t increase HM bonuses.

I mean on one hand it makes sense…otherwise the HMB units you’d get would be turbo busted…imagine getting a Heath, Harken, Vaida, etc with 10+ shadow levels worth of HMB?