Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade 'Remake' [FE6 in FE8] [COMPLETE]

Heya all,

I just started this hack after spending some time deciding if I should go with Project Embers or this project.

What eventually swayed me over was the skills for characters. I really like this feature and was looking forward to seeing the new content!

I picked Difficult mode, wanting to have a nice challenge, but the skills are very, very overpowered in this hack! +10 defense on attacking, +20 resistance on attacking, +40 accuracy on attacking–these are huge numbers! And the stat gains can get your team very overpowered very quickly.

I need to play more to see how the skills work out, but so far, the game feels easier than vanilla FE6 on Hard Mode.

It’s hard to strike a good balance, and putting similar skills on every enemy doesn’t seem like a good idea to me, but I do think some skills can be dialed back in terms of the numbers themselves.

I don’t know how feasible it is, but I think adding more skills as scrolls, like in FE9 and FE10, would be a good way for the player to choose how to be overpowered. I also like how some events give experience to characters–maybe also include some skill learning events based on certain critera, or even support levels?

I’m really enjoying my time with the hack so far–thank you for making it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I picked Difficult mode, wanting to have a nice challenge, but the skills are very, very overpowered in this hack! +10 defense on attacking, +20 resistance on attacking, +40 accuracy on attacking–these are huge numbers! And the stat gains can get your team very overpowered very quickly.
I need to play more to see how the skills work out, but so far, the game feels easier than vanilla FE6 on Hard Mode.

Yup it is easier than vanilla FE6. Early game is much easier. Mid game there’s a slight difficulty spike due to how fast enemies are but overall still easier than vanilla because of skillsys/player characters are also boosted compared to vanilla. Endgame is much easier than vanilla due to having Galeforce, Tome Range +1, etc.

You’re not the only one critical of the current balance, and ZeN is aware of it/working on it.

It’s hard to strike a good balance, and putting similar skills on every enemy doesn’t seem like a good idea to me, but I do think some skills can be dialed back in terms of the numbers themselves.

The skills were community-created. I know a few of them are configurable but I don’t know if all of them are (i.e. most of them may be hardcoded in terms of the numbers). It would be nice if ZeN finds out how to modify the skills themselves though.

I don’t know how feasible it is, but I think adding more skills as scrolls, like in FE9 and FE10, would be a good way for the player to choose how to be overpowered. I also like how some events give experience to characters–maybe also include some skill learning events based on certain critera, or even support levels?

I hope to see this in the future as well. There’s already some cross-class skills in this hack thanks to personal skills. For example, Lugh has Miracle as his personal skill and I believe that’s a skill that’s learned naturally by another class. But skill scrolls would add a ton more freedom and interesting combinations.

Implementation should be easy (I believe an event command already exists for it). It’s balancing for OP combinations that’s the hard part.

1 Like

Which is kind of why they shouldn’t be implemented honestly, otherwise they’d need to basically be tethered down to fluff skills to prevent further powercreep.

They are also really finniky from what I’ve seen since the whole thing is predicated on using the durability to determine what skill is called up, and there is a finite amount of durability you can assign to something.

I’m also slowing getting more and more bothered by enemy Myrms having Avoid+20 on top of 25 speed due to life and death. Only light magic, dorothy and wolt so far has had reliable hit chance against the 70+ avoid they have due to that.

Other personal gripes are the 5 crit on reavers, an actually really irksome amount of FE6s cast have really bad luck and many enemies have had small crit chances to the point of me actually having to reset due to either a 1-5% crit or due to a ballista archer proccing an adept crit though that has only happened once.

The silver/killer spam was something else that bothered me with PE since basically after chapter 10 you will only ever see silver weapons a reaver a spear/tomahawk and any respective killer weapon on any given enemy.

2 Likes

@jackofblades1991

Which is kind of why they shouldn’t be implemented honestly, otherwise they’d need to basically be tethered down to fluff skills to prevent further powercreep.

It would be difficult to balance for sure. Skills could possibly be locked to certain class sets or certain character sets, but it will be quite a hassle.

If it’s added, it should be added much later since there’s already balance issues to be worked through with what we already have.

They are also really finniky from what I’ve seen since the whole thing is predicated on using the durability to determine what skill is called up, and there is a finite amount of durability you can assign to something.

That doesn’t seem to be a problem/the skill taught is not tied to item durability. You can pick any skill as far as I can tell:

I’m also slowing getting more and more bothered by enemy Myrms having Avoid+20 on top of 25 speed due to life and death. Only light magic, dorothy and wolt so far has had reliable hit chance against the 70+ avoid they have due to that.

Yeah Avoid stack is a problem. The only reason I don’t complain about this one frequently is because Myrm/SM enemies are relatively rare. But it does need to be taken care of at some point.

Other personal gripes are the 5 crit on reavers, an actually really irksome amount of FE6s cast have really bad luck and many enemies have had small crit chances to the point of me actually having to reset due to either a 1-5% crit or due to a ballista archer proccing an adept crit though that has only happened once.

Yup. I think the low crit chances originate from vanilla/would occur regardless but adding 5 Crit to reavers is unnecessary.

Proc skills should just be removed from generics, ballista/siege tome or not. My 2nd playthrough was an Ironman run and I lost like 4 units due to Adept/Glacies procs. Regular crits and hit/miss is already enough RNG to factor in, there was no need to add Adept/Glacies/Pavise/Aegis/Great Shield/Re-Move, etc.

The silver/killer spam was something else that bothered me with PE since basically after chapter 10 you will only ever see silver weapons a reaver a spear/tomahawk and any respective killer weapon on any given enemy.

I’m fine with Silvers, it helps them keep in range of being able to 2HKO most of your units and it’s not that unusual if you’ve played for example FE11/FE12 on the harder difficulties. The player can reliably work around that. A lot of problem with balance is not due to how hard the enemies are hitting, but rather how the Spd benchmarks have changed and how frail enemies are. I remember vanilla FE6 HM enemies being able to take 3-4 hits, but it seems in this hack too many characters can already start ORKOing a lot of enemies pretty early.

Killers though in the wrong spots/on the wrong enemies is a problem though. Like idk why in C8 there’s a soldier with a Killer lance in Barthe/Ogier/Wendy’s corner when the player has such low tactical flexibility due to only having 3 units in that position for awhile and you can’t possibly ORKO the enemies on PP without critting. I think both Ogier and Wendy die in 1 hit if critted.

I don’t think I phrased it correctly. I mean in game to prevent having some 30+ individual skill scrolls the item itself uses its durability to know what skill it can currently teach.

Using random skills as an example, at 20 durabilty it teaches Sol while at 19 it teaches Adept, and is consumed after a single use either way. Which is entirely due to how the ASM (i think thats what its called) is set up.

A few of my units get whacked for 33 damage off fighters would beg to differ. At least on the archers, due to adept, it can be kind of panic inducing to have a random chance of 40-50 damage getting slapped onto someone due to lower defence, I still survive but that doesn’t make it any less nerve wracking.

@jackofblades1991

I don’t think I phrased it correctly. I mean in game to prevent having some 30+ individual skill scrolls the item itself uses its durability to know what skill it can currently teach.
Using random skills as an example, at 20 durabilty it teaches Sol while at 19 it teaches Adept, and is consumed after a single use either way. Which is entirely due to how the ASM (i think thats what its called) is set up.

I read the documentation here: The Skill System and You: Maximizing Your Usage of FE8's Most Prolific Bundle of Wizardry - #8 by Sme. Then experimented and after a few tries apparently got the skill scroll set up correctly. For the test, I gave a Fortune skill scroll (it has the highest skill ID value at FE) to Roy at the start of C20x:

Sent the Member Card to Supply. So Roy’s inventory looks like this:

And his skills list looks like this:

Ok I use the scroll:

And he learned Fortune:

So you’re right about the skill scrolls having durability mapped to the skills (at least the documentation says so). But, there’s no problem with teaching any skill due to any sort of cap on durability.

1 Like

Yeah, if you (while doing a live test using the builder) manually change the current durability of the item it would also change the associated skill, which is all I was initially trying to explain albeit poorly.

As far as how limiting it can be I haven’t exactly tinkered with it proper so from my current understanding the exact amount of skill scrolls we can associate is around 60-70-ish before the durability breaks and rounds back down to anywhere from 3-16.

But that’s neither here nor there, the simpler reason I’m against skill scrolls is it adds a lot of work onto ZeN’s plate since he’d have to get all this working himself. Then either add a series of chests/droppables/houses/shops that give certain scrolls that are useful but not broken (no proc skills/galeforce/rally/the like) just to justify even adding the patch. It just isn’t all that needed IMO.

So i was gonna do a review once i finished the game, but i hit a bug in chapter 19, so i though “eh fuck it”. So i have alot to say:

Bugs and Miscelaneous
  • Chapter 19 had a bug where my Sky Knight Zeiss hit a Killer Bow crit on a Knight that froze the game.
  • Counter is bugged. My Bartre failed to trigger it multiple times.
  • The Nihil Skill is bugged… My Sophia in the arena was still getting hit by Countermagic Bishops. Same way that i managed to slay the Manaketes with my Assassin Astolfo by insta-doubling them with Assassinate.
  • Vengeance is bugged aswell. It seems to only display the damage at the start of the turn but it only really does the damage once it procs the second time around.
  • Seraph and Sky Knights are bugged. They seem to coded as Cavalry units, making them immune to bows. Not that i’m complaining it made my Zeiss and Shanna even more busted.
  • Lack of sprites for Sophia, Sky Knights and Seraph Knights is dissapointing.
  • The world map seems to have an issue to where once you go past the Aqueila map, it cuts you off from the Lycia are because it literally loops around itself.
General Balance
  • As mentioned by @Knives and @jackofblades1991 the balance is all over the place. Level 1 pre-promotes with way too high stats by chapter 8x, Silver and Killer weapons way too early in the game, capped strength axemen by the Western Isles arc. I think some mentioned Myrmidons with way too much avoid aswell?
  • I decided to do an arena abuse run, just to see how well capped units would do and for the most part they bodied things for sure. Except a few issues i found:
    • Wyvern Riders in chapter 13 are very tough…my Aptitude Shanna, with all capped stats was unable to ORKO a unpromoted Wyvern Rider despite doubling with a Short Spear.
    • I had an Axeman butcher my almost capped Dark Knight Raigh with a Killer Axe crit at the start of chapter 16.
    • I also had Wyvern Riders survive a Killer Lance crit from a near-capped Melady.
    • In chapter 19 i lost my Cecillia to a balista hit and a falco-knight from FoW.
  • And then there’s 18x. Jeez is this chapter a mess. It almost reminds me of the early chapter 1 version of this hack where it was only Roy and Wolt against the world. You put a limited squad of underwhelming pre-promotes against a host of Nomads and Nomad Troppers and not only that you put then at multiple dissadvantages:
    • Rebecca is almost useless as Bowbreaker destroys her hit chances, and every cavalry unit on the side of the map where your army is has it.
    • Lowen can tank some hits, but he has no 1-2 range option, low speed and low accuracy.
    • Do i even need to mention putting a Falcon Knight with no Delphi Shield in Genghis Khan land is not the best idea?
    • Lyn comes with no Killer Weapons, no Mani Katti, no crit skills, low bases and even lower growths. She was originally titled the “Blade Lord”. She has little damage and low accuracy. She managed to survive due to her avoid on a house and a few lucky Astra procs.
    • And then there’s Eliwood. I’m pretty sure that you designed the map around him bodying everything because he’s head and shoulders above everyone else. Higher bases and growths, a weapon that can actually deal with cavalry, Rightful Heir, Aether, Canto+ and Galeforce. He pretty much saved my run.
  • And somehow you kept the chapter Tempest Bow the same. That’s the main issue people have with the Sacae route, as you have to jump through the various points on constricted terrain and kill multiple bosses. Atleast it’s not a sieze chapter.
  • Lastly. This hack seems to have the same issue as vanilla did where pre-promotes beat out quite a few growth units. Guinnevere, Melady, Bartre and Cecillia can perform just aswell as your investment units. Douglas and Niime can also do this to a lesser extent.
Skill Distribution

This needs to be it’s own section, because damn, it’s a mess and if i repeat mysefl from previous posts, i’m sorry but this needs to be said. First off you need to go back to drawing board to better define your skill spreads with a few things in mind:

• Proper skill distribution part 0: What this means is, if a unit or unit class has one skill, the other should not have it. And especially when dealing with personal skills and regular skills. There are too many Galeforce, Tome Range +1 and Miracle units. And too many have then as either regular class skills or as personal skills.
  • Proper skill distribution part 1: Bowbreaker is not a skill that unpromoted units should have. It’s a anti-carry skill that can crush your units due to excessive distribution. If it were the last skill of a Nomad Trooped, i’d be ok as it creates a niche between it and the Bowmaster class. The same can said for skills like Galeforce, Rally Spectrum, Spectrum Stance, Rightful Heir to name a few. These are high powered skills that should only be considered as part of a “ultimate” class skill or as skill for custom classes
  • Proper skill distribution part 2: The Skill System as it currently stands, has a myriad of skills… there is no reason why i ran into a Hero Boss (i think it was Henning?) who had two Prescience skills as personal and class skills.
  • Proper skill distribution part 3: No Rally Skills as class skills. Why? Because enemy A.I. can’t use them, so it makes enemy units of that class be at a dissadvantage compared to your oven (Generals with Rally Defense). The latest batch of Skills implemented in has a series of skills that act as automatic, turn start Rally Skills.
  • Proper skill distribution part 4: Aptitude, Blossom, Paragon and Discipline to a leeser extent are finicky skills to assign. They can accelerate your growths tremendeously, but once you cap out, they become irrelevant, which results in a lower power celling for your units.
  • Proper skill distribution part 5: Skills should be used to define niches, not to generalize units. Most eggregious offender: Bors. He comes with Sturdy Stance and gets Armored Blow. Distinction between strength in player phase and enemy phase is a key point in defining a unit’s specialty.
  • Proper skill distribution part 6: Make more dynamic level ups for skill gains. Rather than everyone gaining their skills at 5 and 10, push it further up the level up ladder, made them uneven across the classes. Also that way you can adjust dificulty by having certain units show up at higher levels with a fresh new skill in their arsenal.
Units

Ok here i’ll just skip to the core points:

• Roy. He’s way too strong in some points and way too weak in others. His stats are way too high, his growths are way too high, his skill spread is absurd and ofc Binding Blade. On the other hand he still suffers from what i’ve come to see as the main issue with FE6; every chapter is a sieze chapter, so you have to drag Roy all across the map to capture the castle. And he’s still a foot-locked, sword locked unit, so it’s pain in the ass, plus the Fire Emblem gimmick doesn’t do much to alleviate his 1-2 range issues. I know you’re trying to avoid PE comparisons, but i’d take back Roy on a mount if he came with lower growths and a sharper, more modest skill spread.
  • Lilina: Honestly she’s fine. Given how low her speed tier is, she’ll never double anything, so giving skills that can artifically allow her to double things at certain points is a nice touch.
  • Wolt: People keep saying he’s busted. His weapon is busted for sure, but overall i didn’t find him all that appealing to use, he doesn’t seem to stand out all that much in terms of combat prowess (maybe i got a few cursed Wolts who knows), which is a shame given how much attention he’s gotten over Merlinus.
  • Bors. His skill spread is a mess. He has defensive skills for both enemy and player phase and a ultimate skill that frankly does not have that much of an impact as you don’t run into that many Seal skills that would actually impact his performance.
  • Lance/Alen/Noah: I put all of these together because they all get outshined by Trec. Lance and Alen have underwhelming personal skills, Noah the same, plus his lower growths with no speciality to them.
  • Trec: Yeah, this seems overkill. His growths are Est-tier and with Relief, once he gets a few points in STR and DEF, he just won’t die. Sure he’ll never double anything, but with Luna he can one-shot generics and severely injure pre-promotes.
  • Marcus/Zealot: Yeah these two are Jaigens through and through. Only problem is that Zealot joins a bit late to be as effective, but he can still do some work.
  • Lugh: He’s fine. Miracle makes no sense on him though.
  • Saul/Elen: This is one of the first issues of redundancy you’ll find, in both vanilla and hacks. You have two healers in the early stages, so even with skills, it always boils down to who has better stats and staff acess. Oddly enough there isn’t a single Monk in the game. I always felt like Saul could be made into a Monk to tell him apart from Elen in the Light Magic section.
  • Dorothy: Just straight up irrelevant. Her personal is a utility one, on an Archer that should be STR focused.
  • Rutger: Busted to infinity, but it suits his him. He’s the perfect definition of edgy swordmaster. The only thing that gives him a modicum of balance is his low LCK and defensive stats so his avoid doesn’t skyrocket even more and he’s very glass cannon focused.
  • Fir: Comparetively Fir is just inferior, mosty due to her personal skill. As a Myrmidon, you don’t want to tank hits to get your stats up.
  • Clarine: Her utility with Powerstaff, Staff Servant and Rally Resistance is very good, but her stats are very, very low, especially in MAG: Cecillia blows her out the water.
  • Cecillia: Speaking of which; why does Cecillia come with a 50% STR growth if she can’t use physical weapons? I had her cap STR before she capped MAG. That being said, her Prf, Galeforce access, high bases and decent growths, kinda made her take over Percival’s spot as a super-soldier pre-promote.
  • Percival: Yeah this hack hasn’t been kind to Percival. Enemy stats are higher across the board and Percival’s growths are too low for how few levels he has to scale up. He has Galeforce which is a plus, and he can survive a few rounds, if barely, but his speed and worse still, his accuracy is kinda low.
  • Astolfo: Ok. Here’s a lesson in character design. When making a unit, you need to see what role you want him to fullfill. Here Astolfo also comes with Est-tier growths in offensive areas, so it seems to imply that Assassin would be his best option. But then he has Resourceful. As an Assassin your main form of combat is Lethality procs or straight doubles; it’s kinda of a one-trick pony. The good thing about being one note, is that you can push that one note to the extreme. Resourceful however gives an unnecessary niche as a Slayer-weapon wielder, which just breaks the character. So maybe focus him around a role, rather than him branching out into something so busted.
    This text will be hidden
Units Part 2

This text will be hidden

• Barth: He’s the same as vanilla. A meme unit. His accuracy needs a buff, he’s way to prone to missing things, and given how hard it is for him and the scrub squad to survive, missing a hit can be catastrophic.
  • Gwendolyn: Another Est-tier unit. And one that joins in the same chaper as buffed Astolfo. The issue with her is that she doesn’t seem to have a defined direction. Her growths seem to point to Halberdier, especially considering how high her SPD can get, but Halberdier is essecially a lance-wielding Swordmaster…but she comes with Swift Stance and Pavise…which invalidates the choice all together.
  • Ogier: Honestly this is a deviation from PE that shouldn’t have happened. His PE sprite was much better. As for his niche, it’s seems to have vanished, as the supposed appeal of Ogier was a growth unit that can slightly surpass Dieck and comes with much higher avoid, but his growths don’t really reflect that.
  • Dieck: Yeah he blows Ogier out the water, which he kinda did in vanilla, so it’s curious how alot of these balance decisions made the hack go full circle right back to the start. High bases, decent growths, decent personal skill and access to axes, which removes the weakness of his base class entirely. He pretty much throws Ogier into the dumpster.
  • Melady: Yeah she’s the same super-soldier unit. As a pre-promote this is just further exarcebated. She also kinda blows Zeiss out the water, though not as hard as in Vanilla, due to Zeiss’ flexibilty of going Sky Knight. She also kinda suffers from the female Wyvern Lord’s low stat caps, which means that even trained up she’ll sometimes miss a few critical kills.
  • Zeiss: He kinda still has the same issues as vanilla. Once he caps HP and STR, it’s all blanks, since his growths in other areas are way too low. Plus his SPD is very low. Discipline does little to set him apart from Melady, since she also has it as a personal and has much higher base weapon ranks. His saving grace is Sky Knight, due to it’s high caps in SKL and DEF, bow access and bugged interaction to make him immune to bows. For a Est-type growth unit, he’s kinda underwhelming.
Units Part 3
  • Douglas: He’s fine. He can tank decently, his Prf is very good, has Galeforce, but for only 3 levels to grow, his growths are kinda low. I’d reduce his level to 15, give some extra room to develop.
  • Elffin: He needs a promotion. Put him on a mount and give him some proper stat caps. Or some skills to accentuate his solo weapon access maybe.
  • Larum: I’m cursed with dancer units in FE6, they always die early so i’m not gonna rate her.
  • Sophia: Oddly enough she doesn’t carry quite as hard as PE Sophia. While she can cap out almost all of her stats, which turns her into a beast, her actual stat caps are lower than those of a regular Druid and those of PE female Druids, so her celling is lower overall. Also she has two bugged skills in Nihil and Vengeance, so that damages her performance quite a bit. Plus why does she come with a custom class, if she gets the same skills regular Druids get? She kinda loses out to Niime as even trained up, as quite a few of her stats are only somewhat better than Niime’s in this hack.
  • Niime: It’s vanilla Niime, but pushed further. Almost capped MAG; high SKL, SPD and RES, low LCK, DEF and HP. She’s a monster staff bot and Apocalyse user straight out the box, makes Raigh irrelevant for the most part and almost matches a trained Sophia in quite a few areas. Slap her with a Body Ring and Angel Bode or two and she’s good to start crushing people with Nosferatu tomes. That being said…why does she come with 26 STR? She’s a frail old lady, she shouldn’t come with the same STR stat as a capped Dark Knight Raigh.
  • Raigh. Lackluster personal skill, high bases, decent growths. His saving grace is being the sole unit that can spec into Dark Knight, which gives him access to swords, which he can use well due to his high STR stat.
  • Fae. Chicky nuggy to the max. Her growths are in a nice spread, so she should cap most of her stats. Would shift Dragon Fang from being a personal skill to being a class skill for all Dragon units, because…Dragons.
  • Igrene. Yeah she has no use. Her personal skill would make her more useful if she joined in the Nabata chapter, rather than the next chapter. Her Prf is good though, but her bases and growths are soo weak.
  • Klein. Surprisingly he’s been awesome for me. He came like 1-2 points of capping out most of his stats, so he turned out pretty good.
  • Gonzales: This to me is one of the worst offenders of poor use of the Skill Sys. Gonzales is the sole playable Brigand you get, but he comes with the same skills as Pirates. Capture is a gimmick skill that makes no sense on Gonzales, Armsthrift can be useful but Gonzales will never really have enough LCK to really make use of it. Plus he’s still prone to blank level ups once levels STR and HP.
  • Geese: The only thing Geese has over Gonzales is that he’s less prone to blanks as his growths are more well distributed, but he’s underwhelming across the board. His sole saving grace is his personal skill, which fits with a Berserker unit, but you’d need a class of Axes with both high Crit and Weight to maximize Heavy Blows.
  • Garret: Critical Force is nice, but Garret will never manage to maximize it, unless you feed him every Skill Book you have. His other stats are on the low side and the entire Brigand-Berserker skill spread is uninspired.
  • Thea: Yeah she gets eclipsed by Aptitude Shanna. Shanna, Melady and maybe Zeiss is you need a 3rd flier, is all you’ll ever need.
  • Bartre: Pretty potent for a pre-promote at that point. He can cap STR reliably and his growths are decent enough to avoid blanks. Sol is a good skill to alleviate the backfire from Fury and his Prf is hilarious.
  • Guinnevere: She blows all other Light Magic users out the water. She and Lilina are all you need on the magic damage front for Legendary weapon users.
  • Axe Bros: Yeah neither of them are all that good. Wade is prone to blanks and Lot is just underwhelming. Bartre has both beat.
2 Likes

@jackofblades1991

the simpler reason I’m against skill scrolls is it adds a lot of work onto ZeN’s plate since he’d have to get all this working himself.

I mean just like with dancer rings worst case is all he has to do is ask somebody else who’s got it working. I don’t know why you keep saying it’s a lot of work when the hard work has already been done by the wizards and it takes just a few minutes to add to the game.

I can agree that balancing is a difficult thing though and that adding skill scrolls isn’t necessary. But it would be really cool.

Funny enough Monks weren’t IN fe6, only priests, its why you only see bishops after a certain point.

Yeah, I don’t see it either, mine had 14 strength by level 20. sure he capped speed but without any real strength he had a rough time.

Yeah he’s kind of a meme since he was the tanky cav which is why he was bolstered to reinforce that concept, in fact on PE he promotes to Great Knight instead of Paladin like the other 3.

As far as Lugh goes I think miracle on him is due to his normally very hard time surviving early game.

as for Dieck and Ogier they actually both turned out crap for me, though ogier was the better between the two, it was their luck that started biting them as I hit midgame.

Less adding it to the rom (if applicable) and more actually adding it to the game.

Hear me out. Say he does add skill scrolls, where/how will they be given to the player? They would most likely be either dropped by enemies in which he now as to set various enemies with scrolls that can be dropped or stolen to various maps, while being careful to avoid putting things on what I call “dupped reinforcements” to prevent the player from getting like 4 of a single scroll.

Or put some in various chests which means he either has to re-tile maps to add chest tiles and events or swap out items in vanilla chests which might have contained items the player really wants in the late game.

Or say “screw it” and put all the most busted skills as scrolls in the chapter 21(?) Secret shop and make them all 300000 gold meaning if you don’t tower farm for red gems with Hugh you can’t afford them.

@jackofblades1991

Less adding it to the rom (if applicable) and more actually adding it to the game.

I don’t actually disagree with you on it being difficult to figure out how to distribute the skills and balance, but your original phrasing was “he’d have to get all this working himself” so there was a misunderstanding.

Or say “screw it” and put all the most busted skills as scrolls in the chapter 21(?) Secret shop and make them all 300000 gold meaning if you don’t tower farm for red gems with Hugh you can’t afford them.

Costing gold is actually one idea that could work, as you have a tradeoff of more boots/stat boosters vs. skills. Worse skills cost less, the OP skills cost more. If they have gold costs, then it might not even be necessary to limit their availability to C21 onward (could just sell skills at regular shops) as in any serious/efficient playthrough you aren’t going to obtain enough gold to buy the OP skills early and if someone wants to go grind mode and break the game early so what, just let them. Grinding already breaks any game.

Well, the reason I named Hugh was him having despoil.

and sohpia’s promoted caps are just the summoner caps, I assume ZeN forgot to change them.

And some skills working right actually depends on whether or not you have animations turned on or off. Like Wade and Lot only get effected by Fury during player phase anims are off.

edit: ok it was amusing at first but now I’m getting frustrated with this low% crit stuff. I restarted chapter 14X 15 times and every SINGLE GODDAMN TIME THE BOSS CRITS WITH BOLTING. with crit ranging anywhere from 5 to 20%.

Damn rng Jesus be casting judgement upon your poor soul. No offense
Jokes aside, when it comes to bolting and purge tomes, i think they should be rendered critless and a bit more heavy but with a little bit more power.

1 Like

I just barely managed to get through it without anyone dying finally, but there is a reason why most bosses aren’t given siege tomes.

They also don’t need more might since even one of my res heavy units got slapped for 20, and melady got hit with a glacies proc for about 42 so that guy is a HUGE pain to deal with since you will be hit by all 5 uses of his bolting due to him actually being able tp hit things (lowest hit was about 67% I apparantly am not using units that support each other so theres that.)

Random side notes/requests/ideas.

Given that its implied sophia is similar to athos in being able to sense things and having visions it would make sense to have her promotion act as a lesser Archsage class by giving her all magic access since she has a unique promotion. It would also somewhat justify the lower stat caps.

Also I know there is a unique Gwendolyn Knight animation set in the Repo, wouldn’t that make a decent Halberdier animation set since the Female Halberder is unique solely to her?

@Blasteroid @jackofblades1991

i think they should be rendered critless and a bit more heavy but with a little bit more power.

I just barely managed to get through it without anyone dying finally, but there is a reason why most bosses aren’t given siege tomes.
They also don’t need more might since even one of my res heavy units got slapped for 20, and melady got hit with a glacies proc for about 42 so that guy is a HUGE pain to deal with since you will be hit by all 5 uses of his bolting due to him actually being able tp hit things (lowest hit was about 67% I apparantly am not using units that support each other so theres that.)

Critless and removing proc skills is the way to go. I think they already hit hard enough/don’t need a Mt increase (even aside from proc skills, mages/sages/mage knights have Opportunist which already adds +4 damage). Wt increase won’t really have any significant effect. They’re already heavy enough since they aren’t doubling your units anyway and when you attack them while they’re wielding a siege tome, you’re doubling them.

@jackofblades1991

and sohpia’s promoted caps are just the summoner caps, I assume ZeN forgot to change them.

Given that its implied sophia is similar to athos in being able to sense things and having visions it would make sense to have her promotion act as a lesser Archsage class by giving her all magic access since she has a unique promotion. It would also somewhat justify the lower stat caps.

I think you and adalvar are looking at stat caps too hard rather than thinking about benchmarks. You don’t need to hit caps to ORKO most enemies or be able to take 1-2 more hits (which is significant).

She does not need buffs in her current state. If anything, she needs to be nerfed. On the other hand, I think giving her access to anima and light magic wouldn’t make her much better than she already is. So I’m not strongly opposed to your idea.

@adalvar

Not commenting on everything you said, but I will cover most of it.

General Balance

Silver and Killer weapons way too early in the game, capped strength axemen by the Western Isles arc. I think some mentioned Myrmidons with way too much avoid aswell?

Silvers are fine/enemies 2HKOing your units is fine, especially with how effectively frail enemies are to player units compared to vanilla FE6. There’s even precedent for this in the harder difficulties of some mainline games.

Killers overall are fine as long as they aren’t put in spots where the player can’t do much about them.

And then there’s 18x. Jeez is this chapter a mess. It almost reminds me of the early chapter 1 version of this hack where it was only Roy and Wolt against the world. You put a limited squad of underwhelming pre-promotes against a host of Nomads and Nomad Troppers and not only that you put then at multiple dissadvantages

More-or-less agree with all the points here, and I brought this up as well in my initial review a month ago.

This hack seems to have the same issue as vanilla did where pre-promotes beat out quite a few growth units. Guinnevere, Melady, Bartre and Cecillia can perform just aswell as your investment units. Douglas and Niime can also do this to a lesser extent.

I don’t see this as an “issue” in this hack nor with vanilla.

1. Has precedent in vanilla.
  2. Some prepromotes are special characters/royalty/Etrurian generals, etc. You expect them to be good based on their lore/reputation.
  3. Growth units, aside from like, Raigh and Sophia whom join in midgame but were both mega buffed in this hack and one of them grows into a S tier unit, have availability lead and contribute in chapters prepromotes don’t exist in, so they don’t necessarily have to better than or even on par with prepromoted units once the prepromoted units join.
  4. A lot of nonprepromotes were buffed (some really hard) in comparison to vanilla. Bors, Wolt dominate the early game; Bors can contribute later albeit less effectively while Wolt continues to be good, able to promote to Ranger and having one of the best Prfs/Hammerne candidate. Roy himself was obviously buffed hard. Lot and Wade are pretty insane if you use them in tandem. Lugh ORKOs tons of things starting from early game, thanks to insane Spd and Opportunist, and you get 20 Mag worth of Spirit Dust later if you got really RNG screwed. Clarine got Powerstaff, which is amazing. Elen got buffed with a massive Mag stat and can go Valkyrie now or has a niche with regeneration. Sue got a Prf and a good alternative promotion and she doesn’t even really compete with a prepromote anyway. Lilina is obviously mega buffed, especially after promotion. Ogier now has Ready Stance as a personal and has buffed stats. Gwendolyn was obviously buffed. Geese and Gonzalez have a niche in Capturing things. Garrett is a prepromote that can also Capture, but Geese is probably the best among the 3 of them. Shanna and Thea are buffed to the point of being too good at combat, not to mention they now have staff access. Raigh, Sophia were obviously mega stat buffed.
    Meanwhile, Marcus, a prepromote, no longer has his jeigan role. Zelot doesn’t even really dominate early-mid game and falls off even harder than in vanilla. Echidna I wouldn’t exactly call amazing. Melady is supposed to be good. Guinevere, Cecilia, Douglas, Percival, Lyn, Dayan are kind of expected to be good because they’re “special characters”/royalty/Etrurian generals. Similarly, Karel is expected to be good because he has a rep as the Saint of Swords/Sword Demon, and he barely has any availability. If we consider Elffin a prepromote, he’s hot garbage especially considering he should be in the Guinever/Etrurian general tier. Klein is worse comparatively to vanilla, and he wasn’t exactly special in vanilla. Bartre isn’t really better than a trained Lot/Wade. His personal skill of Sol has 17% chance to proc at his join time i.e. very unreliable and his Spd tier is no better than Lot/Wade. In fact he’s significantly slower than Lot. He also has a nonexistent Res stat. Aside from his 25 use Prf, he’s not amazing. Igrene is better than in vanilla, but not exactly amazing. 10k gold Hugh is good, if you’re willing to spend that much, but pretty much all magic units are good in this hack and your Lugh is at least on par by that point. Lowen, Rebecca, and Florina aren’t really that special and they’re superfluous in the chapters that they are force-deployed. Trained Sophia has insane stats/better combat than Niime aside from Niime’s Tome Range +1. Niime has staff advantage but I don’t think that’s an issue. Juno was buffed statwise and given a Prf, but I think that was warranted rather than an “issue” and even buffed, she’s not better than her sisters. Again, you have to take into account availability for especially late joiners like Eliwood/Lyn crew, Niime, Juno, Karel, Galle.

I feel like we aren’t even playing the same game, and you’re just cherrypicking the top tier of prepromotes to compare against while also not bringing up how terrible some prepromotes are and how good a lot of nonprepromotes are and how hard a lot of nonprepromotes were buffed.

Skill Distribution

Skill Distribution

Agree that more work needs to be done in this area. But I don’t wanna get into the details/exactly what changes I agree/disagree with that you’ve suggested or bring up my own suggestions, at least not at this time.

Units

Roy

He was buffed hard obviously. He could use a minor nerf, but Roy being on the strong side doesn’t bother me much because he’s the main lord. Plus if you use him for combat, you’re giving up Rally Spectrum usage.

I don’t think he really needs to have 1-2 range, when you have a billion other units that can do that for him, nor does he need a mount when you can Rescue him. Not everything needs to be buffed. That just ends in powercreep while also destroying any feeling of vanilla.

Lilina

I can agree with this analysis. Even though she was given a special promotion class with access to a lot of weapons types and given 2 Prfs, she’s kept in check by her Spd and Con.

Wolt

Ok I feel like you’re calling me out here since you said “People keep saying he’s busted” and by “people” I assume you mean me.

Relative to enemies: He’s extremely powerful against early game enemies. You can’t just say he’s not that good “aside from his weapon” when early chapters are full of armor/cavs (including bosses) which his weapon is effective against and he has a 40 use Prf compared to the usual 25. Compare his performance in vanilla vs. now. His role used to be chip (no doubling) → someone else attacks → someone else attacks → enemy dies. Now it’s chip (double attack that takes out more than enemy’s HP) → someone else attacks → enemy dies. Or if he’s using his Prf against armor/cavs, he can straight up ORKO. He used to be the designated early game boss killer (and he probably still is) prior to the 3/14 patch, where ZeN actually nerfed him so his bow no longer gives +3 Spd and no longer has 2-3 Range (but he didn’t stat adjust him for his decrease in level from 3 → 1), and where ZeN removed Luna from Legance in C8.

In early midgame, he suffers like most playable characters due to entering “not doubling” range, but Ranger (which Klein and Igrene do not have access to and Dorothy, while she can promote to Ranger, is more difficult to train due to getting none of the stat and Prf favoritism that Wolt did despite Wolt and Dorothy having very similar stats in vanilla) gives him a horse, swords, and helps him back into doubling range.

Later in the game, Snipers do get Bowfaire, but fyi Rangers get Quickdraw and Trample for up to 4 + 5 = 9 damage stack.

Relative to similar playable characters: I’ve already posted this before, so the tldr; is that Wolt is far better than Dorothy, Klein, and Igrene. Klein might have a usable gimmick if Desperation double attacks both occurred before enemy attack does, but that’s not the case (I tested this).

Bors

It’s fine that his skills are for different phases. I can agree that Full Metal Body isn’t very useful even if it’s theme-fitting. And you didn’t mention it but I would like to see Great Shield removed.

Overall, in the 3/14 patch, I would say he’s more-or-less fine. I had asked for a nerf and ZeN delivered. Now I think he’s slightly under par. He’s still good in early game but struggles a little too hard in midgame. I think he could get +1 Spd back and a +5% at least in Def Growth.

Lance/Alen/Noah/Trec

Sorry but this is one of your worst takes by far. Trec’s personal (Relief) is not as good as Chivalry, Pragmatism, Gentilhomme and generally a terrible skill. He’s also way too slow, and he doesn’t have Alance’s availability and support level lead. He’s actually one of the worst playable units. You need a 19/0 Cav Trec, 14/1 Great Knight Trec, or a 12/1 Paladin Trec on average to just not get doubled by most enemies in C9, two chapters after he joins. And good luck ever getting him to double enemies.

Relying on Luna, a proc skill, to kill things, especially if you’re not doubling enemies, is questionable.

Marcus/Zealot

Marcus doesn’t even fulfill a Jeigan role anymore since he still ORKOs things starting from C1. That needs to be fixed.

Lugh

Another take I have to strongly disagree with. He’s actually one of the most OP playable characters. His Spd is insane for his damage and he starts to double everything pretty quickly. He acquires Opportunist (+4 dmg if enemy can’t counter) by just leveling up once after he joins. That’s +8 damage stack because he doubles. Later in the game he gets horse from Mage Knight and Tome Range +1, not to mention 20 Mag worth of Spirit Dusts from sending home characters.

Saul/Elen

How do you tell them apart? Elen actually has a Mag stat and gets a horse by promoting to Valkyrie. Saul is just kinda bad in this hack. Even his Con/Aid was nerfed to a laughable 5 so you can’t even help Take and Drop units that were Rescued since most playable characters have 6+ Con.

War Monk doesn’t give Saul anything useful. It’s just a meme promotion. He doesn’t have the Con for Axes or the natural Str to use physical weapons effectively and Bolt Axe is exclusively Lilina’s Prf for now.

I do want to say Saul’s personal skill/aura (Drive Speed) is very nice though. At least he has that going for him.

Dorothy

I don’t have a problem with her personal being an aura. It’s ok for everything to not look like the player optimized the skillset.

I mostly have a problem with Wolt getting a ton of favoritism over her. If the rationale was “ok we’re remaking the game, let’s make trash units better” than why was Wolt buffed mega hard but Dorothy was essentially overlooked? It’s the inconsistency/lack of even-handedness that probably bothers me the most.

Rutger

I’ll refrain from commenting too much on Rutger as I haven’t used him extensively in my 3 playthroughs and I haven’t really took a hard look at his stats compared to vanilla or compared to how enemies grow.

All I know is that in early game his bosskilling niche was taken over by Wolt.

At 1 range, his offense seems fine. He has enough Str and good Spd as well as Life and Death and a strong offensive personal skill. He does start with a Wind Sword now so has some 1-2 range access, but his low base Mag and Mag Growth of 10 means he can’t make much use of magic swords in general. This is still true after promotion where neither class (SM or Assassin) grant him a new weapon type. With lack of access to effective 1-2 range, I think “busted to infinity” is hyperbolic.

Defensively, Life and Death hurts Rutger/Fir a lot if you’re ironmanning. But on normal playthroughs, I guess it’s fine to gamble on just not getting hit/Spd/Avo stacking.

Fir

Compared to enemies: Slower start combat wise than she in vanilla (her level was increased so she’s closer to promotion) due to enemies being so fast around her join time.

Compared to Rutger: I think you’re correct on this. At some point they’ll both ORKO things pretty reliably regardless of the difference in personal skill, but that point comes pretty late.

Clarine

Powerstaff was already a huge buff. Not everybody needs to be great at combat, especially not mounted/flying units with 1-2 range.

Cecillia

She’s a top tier playable character and obviously mega buffed from vanilla but that’s very much warranted in this case. Zephiel owns her, but she’s still the bleeping Mage General. The player expects her to be good.

Percival

He’s not as amazing as in vanilla but that’s fine. At 18 base Spd, he doesn’t double many enemies but neither does he get doubled. I haven’t looked into this specifically yet, but probably feeding him 1 Speedwing could get enable him to meet many more doubling benchmarks. And he has Galeforce, which is obviously a great skill and none of the other cavs have access to it.

Astolfo

I get what you’re saying about the “clash” between Resourceful and Lethality. But as with your comment on Bors, I don’t necessarily think everything needs to be min-maxed and every character does not need to be extremely gimmicky/some sort of one-trick pony.

If anything, there’s an argument to be made that Resourceful should be kept rather than Lethality (if you had to keep one), as proc-based skills are already highly unreliable let alone one that has a proc rate of Skill% divided by 2 when Assassins cap out at 30 Skl. So at maximum, if we use the current Assassin skill cap, there’s a 72.25% chance that if Astolfo doubles, on both attacks Lethality will not proc. Just highly unreliable gaming. Lethality is just around for flavor/fun factor and precedent from Awakening/Fates. Player isn’t really supposed to plan around it proccing and you’ll just end up accidentally killing things sometimes.

Keeping both skills isn’t a problem from a pure gameplay perspective as it gives him reliability in dealing with certain types of enemies. The problem to me is just whether Resourceful fits his character/backstory, in which case I don’t know if it does or whether it would fit better on a different character.

Barth

He’s better than he was in vanilla and Barthe isn’t actually any worse than Bors in early-mid game (in fact I think Barthe is slightly better). Knights/Generals still don’t stand out in this patch despite 4 → 5/5 → 6 Mov, additional weapons access, and skillsys aside from Bors earlygame, and that’s mainly because of Spd, but they’re definitely usable. Again, I want to avoid powercreep. Something’s always going to be low tier and if this is the new low tier, then it’s acceptable.

One buff I’d like to see him receive though is a “nerf” to his Con to make him rescuable by unpromoted Shanna.

Gwendolyn

Same comment as before. Not everything needs to be min-maxed. Even 1 stat point could differentiate the usage of different units. You don’t need min-maxed skillsets to force a certain usage.

To be clear, I’m not saying that skills distribution does not need work in general or that Gwendolyn’s skills should not be changed at all.

Ogier

Don’t agree with your take. He’s in a good spot actually. Dieck has availability on him (not including early promotion anymore) and early axes, but Ogier does actually have better stats and a better personal. If you check the stats, like say compare them both at Lvl 14, you’ll see that Ogier has on par or better everything statwise than Dieck except for Skl, and that’s not even accounting for his personal.

Dieck

See Ogier.

Melady

She’s fine.

Zeiss

I don’t see these as “issues”. Units not all being good at everything/having some weaknesses makes them more interesting to use as units and gives them more character.

His “weakness” of not being speedy (I think he joins with ~14 Spd at base in HM) is countered by being a freaking GBA wyvern rider. He’s a flier, hits hard as hell, physically tanky as hell (extremely high HP and Def), has very high Skl, and got a great alternative promotion option. Not to mention he’s not so slow that he gets doubled by many enemies around his join time, and the enemies that do double him don’t hurt him much. Offensively, he can OHKO Ilian PKs/FKs despite not being able to double and I believe there’s some slower/frailer enemies he can ORKO/OHKO that aren’t PKs/FKs (e.g. archers/shamans) thanks to his sky high strength and Death Blow (+6 damage when initiating attack).

I agree on maybe giving him a new personal simply to distinguish him from Melady. But his overall power level is fine and he doesn’t need further buffs.

Douglas

He’s fine, although I wouldn’t oppose reducing his level slightly simply because players tend to not like deploying units that don’t grow much. Same for Niime, Yoder, Karel.

Elffin

I think it’s consensus he needs buffs, someway or another.

As with Roy, I don’t think he needs a mount. There’s certainly other ways to make him decent.

Larum

Dancer makes her automatic S tier.

Sophia

Already went over this before, but she’s actually too good now rather than the opposite (ZeN did nerf her slightly in 3/14 patch, but I think it wasn’t quite enough).

Stat caps are kind of a moot point when she gets to the point of ORKOing most enemies anyway, and can already player phase and enemy phase extremely well due to her high mixed defenses.

Niime

Noticed the same thing about her Str. Weird.

Otherwise, she’s more-or-less fine.

Raigh

This is not aimed at you, but just for future reference, this is base Raigh with HM bonuses (obviously buffed hard compared to vanilla):

I disagree that Malefic Aura is a bad skill. +2 damage for yourself if not for others as well is good. This also applies to magic swords, if he’s using them. And he might be the best user of them.

Overall, he’s fine. Not having high Spd keeps him in check.

Fae

She’s fine. I’m not opposed to the Dragon Fang change since it would only affect her. I assume we’re not giving enemies a proc skill.

Igrene/Klein

I don’t know how you’re simultaneously praising Klein and saying Igrene “has no use” when they have similar performance.

Klein has better mixed defenses and Skl, while Igrene has a Str/Spd lead which is more important.

Klein can use Longbows with only 1 AS loss (Igrene loses 4 AS), so he has that going for him. Klein can also use Steel Bows with no AS loss while Igrene loses 3 AS respectively. But it’s not like Killer and Silver Bows are difficult to obtain in this hack.

Meanwhile, Igrene has a Prf with 2-3 range and extra crit, so she’s strictly better than Klein as long as her Prf is available, and without her Prf, she’s slightly better offensively than Klein aside from Longbow usage. If she’s given a Body Ring, then she’s probably at least on par as a Longbow user (haven’t looked into the benchmarks yet) and if Igrene’s using a Longbow, then Klein’s Def/Res doesn’t matter much. I don’t think it even matters that much regardless of Longbow usage because they both probably still get 2HKO’d anyway and generally you’re not using Snipers to enemy phase because you have better units for that.

Igrene is also more RNG-proof since she has higher bases but with fewer levels to grow. Klein joins with something like ~16 Str, ~15 Spd as a Lvl 1 Sniper while Igrene has 19 Str, 18 Spd as a Lvl 7 Sniper.

If you want to compare personal skills, yeah Acrobat isn’t as useful as one would think. But, Desperation is terrible.

Klein does have an availability lead joining in C11 vs. C15 so that point does go in his favor.

By your phrasing, it seems like you just looked at your probably RNG blessed stat-capped Klein and thought “that’s a really good unit” instead of looking at stat averages and at benchmarks or considering many other things besides stats. Same with your analysis of Igrene.

Gonzales/Geese/Garret

I don’t mind if Armsthrift is replaced per se but I don’t agree with your rationale for replacing it. It’s not black-and-white: The # of uses Armsthrift boosts by is more granular than “weapon use never decreases” vs. “weapon use always decreases”.

I kind of like that Gonzelez, Geese, and Garrett have a Capture gimmick. Whether they’re actually good at it and whether they should be good at it is a tangent I don’t want to get into at the moment.

Statwise, Gonzalez, Geese, and Garrett feel fine for the most part. Currently, I believe Geese is better than the other two. For now, the only change I would definitely make regarding any of these three chracters is increase Garrett’s base Spd so he doesn’t get doubled in his join chapter.

Thea

Her combat is too good, regardless of her comparison with Shanna.

Fliers aren’t really in competition with each other. You have enough slots to field them all and they also happen to have supports with each other.

Bartre/Axe Bros

Already wrote about this.

Sol is a proc skill and he’s not fast enough to double aside from his Prf. 17% chance life leech IF you land the hit on the enemy doesn’t make a good skill. I’m not saying to change it btw just pointing out it’s not really that great of a skill in this context, and on Bartre. It was good in Awakening during the main story, but that’s a different context.

As I mentioned before, trained Lot/Wade are actually comparable if not better than Bartre statwise. Lot is significantly faster than Bartre, while having less Str, but the point is Lot ORKOs stuff that Bartre doesn’t. Both Lot/Wade have better mixed defenses than Bartre. Not to mention due to the massive availability lead (C2 vs. C11) they can have A support with each other by the time Bartre even joins.

Lot/Wade Hero promotions I’ll refrain from commenting on since I haven’t tried it at all yet.

The only thing notable about Bartre is his Prf and his stache. Like honestly, actually use Lot/Wade before rating them and just calling them trash.

Guinnevere

She’s top tier. But it’s fine.

tldr; I agree with some things. With some other things, I’m not sure if we’re playing the same game.

Either way, what we have in common is we’re all here to make the hack better, so whether I agree with you completely or not, thanks for the effort you put into the writeup and I hope other people will do the same. We don’t all play the same way or value the same things and it’s interesting to read other POVs.

Been seeing alot of talks about balancing for unit stats/growths or skill distribution and while I do agree or disagree with the points made, alot of which are arguably valid, I have something else to put as a potential point of contention: support bonuses.

The support bonuses I feel could throw-off any and all attempts that zen will do for the state of balancing for the hack so I want to know: should the stats provided by support bonuses be removed or overhauled for the hack.

@JioCrestfall

I believe those bonuses are from vanilla. There’s still costs to building up supports in terms of turns and positioning and a limit of one support level gained per chapter per pair of characters as well as a positioning requirement for the bonuses to take effect.

Ideally, all support combinations could be taken into consideration as well as the likelihoods of those support combinations having been achieved at certain points in time, but that’s just too much work. For now, I’m inclined to say just leave bonuses in as they are and balance around the assumption that the character has no/low support bonuses in effect when trying to meet certain benchmarks.

Please note I don’t think any of us expects the hack to be super fine tuned (that would be an insane amount of work/too much to consider), but we hope that at least the more obvious problems can be taken care of.

1 Like

I looked at the patch that enables that and apparently there’s a conflict with some other patches, but can be changed by setting the crit to 255.

just like me and the other guy focus too much on caps, you focus too hard on averages, here’s my 15/1 Alan, Lance, and Noah compared to my 15/5 Trec by chapter 18 (planning on scrapping all four of them honestly and ignore the HP that’s just something I do when testing stuff)
X FE6.emulator-0
X FE6.emulator-4
X FE6.emulator-5
X FE6.emulator-6
this is due to getting some good levels off trec and crap from everyone else plus other then Trec the other three are liabilities on the field due to all having 10-or-less luck with all the crit floating around.

you also can’t properly use stat benchmarks the moment enemy Myrms hit level 10+ due to life and death throwing it off so heavily. I mean by chapter 13ish the speed benchmark for not getting doubled is 22. it’s also why the caps are important since once swordmaster become prominent the speed benchmark can skyrocket to 32 which only Lyn, Sue (with PRF), Rutger, Fir, Karel, Lot, Wade, and Bartre can actually hit (the later three need a metric ton of speedwings to do it).

this is actually one I’m suprised people keep failing to notice, War Monk. that’s the difference. he’s ment to be a war monk, granted his con kinda screws him over on that, but that is his purpose.

honestly I’m kind of seeing it somewhat now but he’s still violently prone to getting stat screwed. here’s mine currently (note as stated above igore the HP my tinkering rom uses my current actual save as its base)
X FE6.emulator-8
I got lucky with his defense but he’s still rather good, and point blank actually helps him since he’s not boned during enemy phase.

hang on, I just realized a whole map is missing and that after doing some looking, after the one in chapter8X there are only two other swordmasters in the entire game you fight, both on 20X…huh. who both look like this so…
X FE6.emulator-9

as for chapter 18X I actually figured out a strategy that worked of putting Eliwood and Lowen one tile shy of the bridges to stimy the initial onslaught of nomads but no really florina should have a Delphi Shield, and Lyndis needs a more durable weapon since Astra chews through durability, basically a PRF that is still just a silver sword but with like 40 uses and maybe gives +5 defense to offset LaD which she will obtain during the map.

Edit: i didn’t explain it beforehand but just as an fyi my wolt had 13 strength at level 20.

@jackofblades1991

I looked at the patch that enables that and apparently there’s a conflict with some other patches, but can be changed by setting the crit to 255.

I don’t think I understand fully. Why can’t we just set the Crit to 0 for Bolting/Purge to minimize the Crit chance?

Or do you mean setting Crit to 255 means the attack itself will have 0 Crit regardless of any other factors? i.e. It negates natural Crit from Skl stat, Crit from skills like Focus, and Crit from the weapon?

just like me and the other guy focus too much on caps, you focus WAY too hard on averages

Sorry that just doesn’t make any sense. What else are you going to compare off of? You can’t just compare RNG-blessed character X vs. RNG-cursed character Y and then rate character X a good unit off your one run.

you also can’t properly use stat benchmarks the moment enemy Myrms hit level 10+ due to life and death throwing it off so heavily.

The benchmark is supposed to account for the Spd bonus from Life and Death.

I mean by chapter 13ish the speed benchmark for not getting doubled is 22. it’s also why the caps are important since once swordmaster become prominent the speed benchmark can skyrocket to 32 which only Lyn, Sue (with PRF), Rutger, Fir, Karel, Lot, Wade, and Bartre can actually hit (the later three need a metric ton of speedwings to do it).

I don’t think C13 has an enemy with 26+ Spd. It’s a chapter mostly of cavs/paladins. There’s a Sniper, a Hero. And the boss is a Wyvern Knight.

The vast majority of enemies in midgame have 17-20 Spd. My guess with the figures you’re throwing out is that you’re worrying about myrms/SMs in particular, which doesn’t make much sense when you barely encounter them.

this is actually one I’m suprised people keep failing to notice, War Monk. that’s the difference. he’s ment to be a war monk, granted his con kinda screws him over on that, but that is his purpose.

He has 4 Str at Base (Lvl 8). A 40% Str Growth. Gets +2 Str on promotion. The math adds up to low Strength. He has pretty good Spd, but not enough to double most enemies in midgame. Then factor in AS loss from axes and his Spd is not good. He loses 3 AS from Iron Axes/he needs a Body Ring to only lose 1 AS and 5 AS from Hand Axes/he needs a Body Ring to lose 3 AS. He could use Hatchet to avoid AS loss but he loses Atk if he does. He can’t use Bolt Axe. His defenses are decent but I wouldn’t use him to take hits especially because he can’t counter with decent damage. Skillset is Drive Speed (personal), Gentilhomme, Miracle, Axefaith, Renewal, Axefaire.

You might have to enlighten me on how War Monk Saul beats out Bishop Saul and/or how War Monk Saul is good in general. I just don’t see it at all.

as for chapter 18X I actually figured out a strategy that worked of putting Eliwood and Lowen one tile shy of the bridges to stimy the initial onslaught of nomads but no really florina should have a Delphi Shield, and Lyndis needs a more durable weapon since Astra chews through durability, basically a PRF that is still just a silver sword but with like 40 uses and maybe gives +5 defense to offset LaD which she will obtain during the map.

I think there’s a lot of possible things that can be done here. More enemy variety/more enemies that Rebecca, Lowen, and Florina can contribute against. For example, fewer enemies with Bowbreaker would help Rebecca. Maybe slight nerfs to Eliwood/Lyn/Dayan so they can’t carry as hard. I don’t know if Florina should get a Delphi Shield necessarily, but maybe weapon changes like giving Florina a Javelin so she can attack myrms without getting countered and equipping some nomad/nomad troopers with just a melee weapon rather than a bowfest and adding more shaman/druid enemies (that are not bosses) could help her usage. Maybe changes in enemy positioning to reduce enemy density to encourage more killing via player phase (i.e. instead of larger packs break them into more numerous smaller packs). Maybe even adding some side objective(s) to force some splitting of the player’s forces/forced contribution from all units.

Regarding Lyn Prf: I think I’ve seen a few people ask for the Mani Katti or Sol Katti back. Those were her FE7 Prf swords and I’d like to see Lyn get them as well.

Edit: i didn’t explain it beforehand but just as an fyi my wolt had 13 strength at level 20.

Yeah you got pretty screwed. He should have 16 at that point.

@Knives @jackofblades1991

So are u guys finding the game too easy or too hard??