Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness. Check the OP for updates I do them everytime I achieve now

So, just to express HOW LONG this took, After taking a break, it took 2 more hours to get this to this. And we’re still not out of the intro.

7 Likes

Is there no way of writing a tool or macro to auto-format text to this? If it takes this much time for just a single conversation, I can’t imagine how long it would take for the entire script. Even if the tool isn’t perfect, it’s probably still time saved.

2 Likes

Ha! No. Even professional’s don’t have the luxury of text that’s autoformatted. I have some friends who work in the translation business, bluntly if they don’t have to manually add linebreaks, then you’re working for a glorious overlord.

The real pain is running into moments like this, where… it’s a single letter I need in line 1 of Roy’s dialog and Erk’s dialog, and if I had one more letter in each of those, they’d be perfectly spaced.

Which, again, goes to show you that I am an insane person.

14 Likes

That’s how it is on this bitch of an Earth.

Honestly, the first two lines being as close as they can to the end seems like a reachable goal, and then maybe fluff out the third line if you can. But I think for the second to last pic shown you can do this

Against the forces of Bern? Of course.
It is my obligation to report the results
of any battle against you without bias.

Unfortunately, when you’re forcing yourself to make the text lines of equal length, you severely limit your own writing proficiency as you rip through a thesaurus checking every combination of words to fit the textbox perfectly while still saying the exact same thing, as you’re writing the story.

This isn’t even as simple as a keeping a consistent number of letters either. as you can see;
iiiiii Six i’s
ooo three o’s
different lengths overall.

I hate to say it Onmi, but no amount of insanity can realistically let you have absolute perfection on the text boxes that span more than 3 lines, let alone village monologues.

6 Likes

I agree, this seems like an issue that fixing it will only lead to other problems. You have a unique writing style and to try to change words around to make it fit the exact way you want will destroy that writing style. It’d still make sense as the information you’re giving will be the same but the presentation will cut people out of the game imho.

1 Like

AutoNewLine already exists.

It’s not perfect by any means, and isn’t designed to work with three-line text (or FE6 at all), but working with it or a variant of it could probably still save you a lot of work.

3 Likes

This doesn’t work because we have a unique font, so the read-out is incorrect in every way. Typically if we want a tool, we have to make it. Which isn’t great.

Also

Just because Damas isn’t a boss anymore, doesn’t mean he’s not in the game, he’ll helpfully tutorialize Bandits going after villages.

9 Likes

Crispy crackers

Damas confirmed racial slur user

2 Likes

MOLDY ONIONS

4 Likes

So is he going to be a tougher than the average enemy or do we not fight him? Also a bandit tutorial from a bandit is definitely an interesting way to do it

4 Likes

He’s just an enemy with a portrait, you kill him like all the rest.

2 Likes

He’s like the guy that comes with Gonzales in 10B; not a boss, but he’s got a portrait

2 Likes

how close is this game toward completion

2 Likes

Not really able to give an estimate, if I’m being honest. Sometimes text gets done in an hour, sometimes it takes days. Even if I say “Oh we’ve done X chapters and got Y left” It could be any amount of time.

6 Likes

That sounds like supports are already done, if that were the case, then the major bulk of text is already done.

I am, of course, just speculating as I can make myself a rough estimate, but whether it is true or not is up to the developers themselves.

Hope you guys properly finish, this is a promising project.

3 Likes

Supports? No. Base Conversations? Mostly. Only Sacae and Bern Base Convo’s are left.

But it’s not just writing as I’ve covered above. if I didn’t care so much about it looking right, we’d have been done forever ago. But quality takes time.

13 Likes

Obsessive perfectionist tendencies strike again.

3 Likes

For ten straight years.

3 Likes

An update, expect some big developments in the next few months. Sadly not the release, but In 4 weeks I get off Semester and we have a lot planned to get done.

28 Likes

Excited to see this project finished :sweat_smile::+1:

2 Likes