How far will you go for justice?
After a devastating surprise attack from the neighbouring theocracy of Haloseia, the Cerahni Empire has fallen. His hometown in ruins and his mother slain, Fane and his companions, Raphael and Lionel, embark on a quest to liberate their homeland from the occupying invaders and to avenge the fallen. But their destiny is forever altered when they encounter Ileana, a Haloseian exile with the power to see the future, whose only goal is the death of the Grim King of Haloseia, Cathal Tolman. As the war rages on and threatens to take everything from them both, decades of conspiracy begin to unravel, revealing hidden truths and dark histories…
Hey, I’m Xilirite. If you don’t hang around the FEU discord, you may not know me, but I’ve been working on this project for about a year now, and I’m extremely excited to bring you the first release of the game. While I’ve tried my hardest to get this project as polished as I could before making it public, I figured I was beginning to reach the point where I was hitting diminishing returns, and that I’d be much better suited just releasing this to the wider world so I can get a greater amount of feedback – if you play this, please give me your thoughts! I want to make this project the best it possibly can be, and I’m only one man.
This project’s main goals are twofold: Firstly, to create a Fire Emblem experience tailored to the rhythms I’ve always found most enjoyable – decisive, exciting turns, tackled using powerful offensive tools; and secondly, to use the Fire Emblem format to tell a rich, mature, and thematic story, with multiple protagonists and a focus on geopolitical machinations rather than dragon gods and evil cults.
This hack utilizes somewhat harsher language than the vanilla FE experience, and will deal with some heavy exploration of grief including allusions to suicidal ideation (not currently present in this release). There are also minor depictions of racial and sexual discrimination. If you feel this warning should be expanded on, please don’t hesitate to contact me with your concerns so I can make this as comprehensive as possible.
Features currently implemented in this release include
- 7 playable chapters, with 17 playable characters.
- Enemy units with powerful offences who demand respect.
- Rebalanced weapons, including a overhaul of magic and bow weaponry, substantially more powerful steels, more asymmetrical design within the weapon triangle, and a greater emphasis on blade weapons as an alternative to generic swords for some classes.
- A unique personal skill for every unit and some (not all!) bosses.
- Passive stat boosters that will raise some stats while lowering others.
- A powerful bow lord, as well as a ranger Jeigan. Bows!!!
- Magic users who each wield powerful PRF spells unique to them.
- Specific combat units with partial access to thief utility.
- Several common QoL patches, such as Thracia trading and taking actions after talks/supports.
- A detailed storyline, with a strong focus on characters and thematic storytelling, following the start of the war through to the end of the first major story arc.
- Cool hats!!!
- I really want to stress how cool the hats will be.
Planned Features for the Future
- A three act story planning 20+ chapters, three armies, and a year of warfare.
- A fully custom soundtrack.
- A cast of 30+ characters.
- Powerful Omens – light magic spells that never break, and possess extremely weak combat stats in exchange for extremely powerful passive effects, such as huge defensive buffs, powerful stat-buffing auras, or even flight!
- A guy who’s name is Mister Big who is very buff and huge.
- Several events currently don’t have map movements associated with them, including a very notable event in 1-1 that requires specific assets that haven’t been made yet. Don’t worry! Things will be given the full cutscene treatment in time, as the more mission-critical features are finalized.
- I’ve seen exactly one instance of somebody using VBA having 1-3 hang when they attempt to clear the map. Resetting and resuming appeared to fix the issue, and I haven’t been able to replicate the bug on mGBA.
- The talk conversation between Price and Rory in 1-6 can black out the screen for a few seconds if it’s skipped, but this was very shaky for me to reproduce and was generally easy to break out of without losing any progress.
- All but one of the support conversations are still not implemented, as supports are undergoing a minor overhaul. I’ve attached a link to the currently written support conversations for anybody who wishes to read them as they unlock them, and in the next update I will have them all inserted, alongside some changes to how supports function in the first place. Details are subject to change on how that’s gonna pan out, though, all I know for sure is that they need to be rewritten to take into account plans to implement some kind of base system where supports will take place between maps – half the supports are written around being in combat, and the more recent half of the supports, so there’s a disconnect I want to address before I handle the rest of the system.
- Spell animations are entirely unimplemented, and almost every custom spell just shoots an arrow (or else just reuses a vanilla animation). You can take this as even further archer bias if you’d like!
- Wyvern Riders appear to all use female animations.
- William’s animations are currently still set to be dancer animations.
- If you clear 1-2 too fast, Cylean will join at lvl 0 with no inventory.
Link to Credits
Link to Supports (This will be removed once all supports are finalized and implemented in game)
I really hope you enjoy! This project has been one of the things keeping me sane over the course of the last year, and I have big plans for where the story will go from here. If you want to get in contact with me directly, you can message me here (I try to check the forums every day, even if I rarely post), or on Discord via our development server (link below), the FEU server, or by messaging me directly at Xilirite#4899.
Like what you see and wanna keep up to date? Click here to join us in the development discord and you can see all the WIP junk that hasn’t quite made it into this release!