Fire Emblem: Illuminated (30 Mainline Chapters Planned, 26 Finished)

So, I decided to start the hack again, and I saw some problems:
Illuminated%20_1577794146909 Illuminated%20_1577794130681
Some of the classes are have the name/description of skills, which doesn’t make much sense.
Illuminated%20_1577794684486
Also is Jay supposed to have 0 leadership stars?
If you don’t want him to have starts, set them to “-”.

Also the first map is very well designed in my opinion, and really tricky to complete, but the second one is pretty bad honestly.
I like the concept of Jay being trapped so that you need to use Clinton to escape, but then the map becomes “hope Clinton gets crits so the short bow doesn’t break and I have a slight chance of surviving”.
There are also 2 side objectives, the village and the thief, that are pretty far from each other, and you can’t get them because the reinforcements will kill you before you can get both of them.
I like that your hack has a lot of different weapons, but was it really necessary to have a hand axe+ (which is a damn strong weapon) on the second chapter in the game?

There are a lot of things to be improved, but I do remember the hack having some great chapters later on, so I’ll look forward to those

Illuminated%20_1577800679884
Also, the cunning skill doesn’t let you steal items, be sure to give the cleric the “Steal” skill instead

Hey @Pietroloz, thanks so much for playing my hack. Thanks so much for the great feedback as well! I certainly missed some things when I implemented the new skill system… All of those seem to be a result of that. I’ll fix those up quickly and have an updated patch out soon.

Thanks for your feedback about Chapter’s 1 and 2. To be quite honest, I’ve often considered changing chapter 2 before. I’m very open to the idea of adding a turn to the chapter before the harder reinforcements arrive. Looking into it now.

The Hand Axe + is definitely a strong, strong weapon. Still, I don’t think that weapon is the issue with the chapter. If the chapter is balanced, one hit from that weapon shouldn’t break a run of it. However, if I find that more and more people feel the same, I’m just as open to changing it back to a regular Hand Axe.

Didn’t catch the skill with Lana. Good find. Should be fixed when I release the next patch.

Last thing for now: Doing a quick run through of the patch and noticed that in Chapter 4, a random Ophelia gets added to the list of characters available in the preparation screen. I’ve run through a couple more times without this problem happening, but it ends up being a nasty bug that will break the game down the line. If this happens to anyone, please let me know so I can possibly get a save file from you. I’m not sure what it causing it, but hopefully it was a one off.

Thanks!

I didn’t have any problems with chapter 4, thankfully

Speaking of chapter 5, Frisk’s description only says “A sk”, and he also has 0 leadership stars
I’m guessing you wanted him to have some, but like Jay, he has 0

Another good catch. Both are fixed. I actually didn’t want either of them to have leadership stars. There are already plenty of skills going around that affect hit rates and avoid… Don’t really want any more.

The OP has been updated with the most recent patch (2.02), fixing the issues @Pietroloz has pointed out. I’ve also just cleaned up some events in the final playable chapter, Dark Future. I’d highly advise anyone to stop playing after this chapter… Otherwise things will get crazy and broken. Thanks.

Updated the most recent beta to 2.03. In this hotfix, several fixes have come along, specifically for Chapter 14. I lessened the difficulty of the chapter in several areas and fixed an issue with the treasure chest at the bottom.

Also, thanks to a heads up from @Pietroloz, a soft lock on Chapter 10 has been fixed.

Of note, I’m aware of a small issue regarding Chapter 14:

Summary

Clinton and Lana’s AI behavior in Chapter 14 after opening the doors… As well as the enemies who trigger their release if you don’t get there fast enough. Not totally sure about how to fix this for the moment… But if you play efficiently, this problem can be overcome. Full warning… Once that door is open, on Clinton/Lana’s turn, they will try and bolt out of there.

Will continue working on things as they come up. Thanks!

Updated to 2.04. Changed some design decisions with Chapter 2, cleaned up some text, and added in three master seals by beta’s end.

**Updated to 2.05. Made a whoopsie change in the last patch that made Chapter 14 unbeatable. Fixed it. Also fixed Ophelia’s summoner promotion to allow summoning.

1 Like

Just finished the last bit of what I would consider Arc 2 of the story. Updated to 2.1. This patch does not add any playable chapters, but adds two story chapters to try and fill in a lot of the story thus far. It also adds in some fixes here and there.

If anyone has any issues or glitches with these chapters, please let me know. The beta will still say “END OF BETA” when you’ve hit the end.

Thanks!

*Updated to 2.11. A few fixes for Chapter 14, but more importantly, some fixes that will affect characters rejoining.

1 Like

Quick and small update. Beginning work on the next chapter, and in part of my thought process for it, I wanted a grappling hook map sprite. So I made one. Destroying these in the chapter will cut off reinforcements.
Hook%20Final
It’s far from perfect, but it suits what I need it to do for the next chapter. I don’t know why anyone would need it, but it’s free to use if anyone wants to. I have a moving animation as well (which doesn’t move at all but still fits the place of a moving animation).

I’ve spent the past weekend adding 5 more classes into the hack (which is probably where I’ll stop, save for one or two bosses). I’ve also changed the Falcomancer class a bit as well. Almost all of them are hybrid attackers, meaning they can use both weapons and magic. I also balanced their growths up to level 20, which is an early look into the kind of enemies the player should will be dealing with by that time. These classes include:

Malig Knight (Axe/Dark) [Wyvern]
Mage Knight (Lance/Anima) [Horse]
Mage Baron (Lance/Dark) [General/Infantry]
War Monk (Axe/Light) [Infantry]
Battle Sage (Sword/Anima) [Infantry]
And changed Falcomancer to Splendor Knight (Sword/Light) [Pegasus]

Some photos (one of these is the map sprites and way I balance the levels):
Battle%20Sage%20Battle Battle%20Sage%20Male Mage%20Baron Malig%20Knight%20Battle Malig%20Knight Map%20Sprites War%20Monk%20Battle War%20Monk

Major credits to everyone who made these animations, class cards, map sprites, etc… All from the repository. These include:

• JJ09/Pikmin1211 (Malig Knight Anim/Map Sprite)
  • Team Salvaged Paladins and Repalletes
  • (Leo_link, Pikmin1211, Flasuban, Team SALVAGED, ZoramineFae)
  • War Monk (DerTheVaporeon, Pikmin1211)
  • [MAG] Sage (M) (Battle Sage) Magic+Sword {RobertFPY, Aruka, Yggdra}
  • (DerTheVaporeon) War Monk Class Card
  • (DerTheVaporeon/Flasuban) Ballista Map Sprite
  • [T3][ARM][Marshall](Baron Cape +Weapons)[M]{Leo_link, Nuramon, Iscaneus, DerTheVaporeon}
  • Dark Knight Class Card (Eldritch Abomination)
  • Marshall Map Sprite (Nuramon)
  • Baron Class Card (St.Jack)

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hey, this classes look cool! I hope they are not as broken as they sound, but I can’t wait to try them out.

(Also wow those stats are scary)

Yeah I may end up backing off on the stats just because I don’t necessarily want hybrid classes outclassing more specialized ones… Won’t know until I start making the final chapters whenever that might be!

GGWP, not seeing a full (I assume?) hack for like 2 months and starving
nice story and personalities portraitions
though not finished playing to the end yet (and gonna test out some new, unfinished hacks)

Hey Ribombee, I’m glad you enjoyed what has been released. And it’s about time I gave an update.

Unfortunately, I haven’t worked on the hack all that much in the past two months. The hack is far from dead, but time to work on it comes in spurts. The hack is still progressing, but with upwards of 10 more playable chapters before hacks end, it’s still got a ways to go.

Might have some screenshots from a completed Chapter 15 soon!

Hey everyone, time for a quick update.

Progress is coming along. Chapter 15 is done, which I know doesn’t seem like a whole lot of progress in the past few months, but I’m happy to work on this when I can.

Speaking of Chapter 15, it was by far the hardest chapter to design thus far. I had a concept for a chapter that sounded good in theory, and I think it came out really well, but it was incredibly hard to balance properly. It still may be a bit too hard and I may have to go back and adjust a bit, but for now, it might be my favorite chapter.

The premise of the Chapter 15 is

Summary

There are five hooks connected to the party’s main ship that must be destroyed in order to complete the chapter. Each hook has 120 HP, cannot be doubled, has 5 DEF and 5 RES, and cannot be hit with a critical. By destroying the hooks, the bridges connecting adjacent ships disappear. It plays out like a hybrid defense chapter where you’re trying to stay alive, but you won’t unless you get rid of those hooks. Lastly, there is a side objective (which I won’t spoil) and a limit of 10 turns to get it done.

Finally, some screenshots from it:

chp 15 photo 1 chp 15 photo 2 chp 15 photo 3

Will continue updating as I get more done. Thanks for reading!

6 Likes

Quick update from my end. Hope this finds everyone in good health.

I’ve spent the past week updating Skillsystems and rebalancing things. Specifically, this is in regards to the strength/magic split, which FE: Illuminated now has. I’ve also spent the latter part of the week learning some stuff about buildfiles to tweak a few skills here and there.

Lastly, figured out a small issue I had going on with the Supply command, so just recently added the Supply skill to both Jay and Finch. Each of them learn Supply at Level 10.

Will continue updating as I continue getting stuff done. Thanks!

5 Likes

Quick update, but also looking for some feedback from those who may have played the hack thus far.

Currently working through another playthrough to ensure things are still balanced after the STR/MAG split, and I had a thought. This has spoilers, so for anyone not past Chapter 10, read at your own risk:

Summary

I originally created Teddy to be similar to Clinton in the fact that they both used bows, yet wanted to him to be his own distinct character. While I think I accomplished this goal, the reality is that Teddy is a near carbon copy of Sam in terms of skills. After promotion, even, Sam would be strikingly similar to Teddy, and for a hack that has a low number of playable units (with the goal of each of them being unique), this prospect doesn’t sit all that well with me.

I’m toying around with some solutions to this, and the easiest one is to go ahead and change Teddy’s class. It makes sense for me to change Teddy into a Hero who has his own skills and uniqueness to him, but this also invites another problem (with my own design). Assuming you recruit Teddy in Chapter 10, and ignoring Gerry for a moment, the player has 3 sword users, 3 axe users, and only one lance user (Danielle) and one bow user (Clinton). Because I’ve given the player choice in how they promote Gerry, this can lead to a situation where there are four possible axe or sword users, and while Gerry’s main weapon is really a lance, it leaves Clinton and Danielle on an island.

Current solution? Change Teddy’s class to one that grants a lance and a bow. Cue the chieftain class (essentially a nomadic trooper with access to lances)

Would love some feedback about this. Is this something that makes sense? Is there another class that might make more sense? Thanks.

Still working when I can. If you read through the spoilers and have some thoughts about it, please spoiler anything you respond with so as to avoid… spoilers. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, got an update that is both small and big, I guess.

As mentioned earlier, I’ve been working through balancing the newly incorporated STR/MAG split, and I’ve finally gotten to a point where I’m feeling comfortable re-releasing this. In truth, this patch only has one extra chapter of content, but there has been a slew of changes under the hood to the balance of the game that I’m feeling good about.

Some of these changes include:

• Changing the class of a certain boss character
  • Various skill tweaks. As I’ve gotten more comfortable with ASM, I’ve started being able to change skills around here and there. Nothing groundbreaking, but some notable changes for balance. Certainly worth reading up on skills this go around (solidarity, anathema, darting blow, opportunist, focus, elbow room, impale just to name a few. Seriously, you should read the descriptions!)
  • Some units have entirely new skills and learn different skills than they used to. Many (but not all) skills that rely on chance for extra damage (Sol, Impale, etc.) have been phased out or moved to a later promotion.
  • Enough promotion items to have promoted everyone by hack’s end.
  • Small changes to player growths here and there for balance.
  • Some additional classes.
  • A change to WeaponExp. Due to the small cast, the likelihood is that most units have an A rank in their weapon by the time they promote… Leading to them nearly having an S by the time they promote. To get around this, I have since changed the max unpromoted weapon level to B and added an extra 10 WEXP to get from B to A (from 60 to 70).
    • To balance this, I have increased the WEXP gain upon promotion to 70, meaning that for units that have a B rank when promoting, they will immediately be given A Weapon proficiency. I’ve also decreased the amount of WEXP needed to get to S rank by 10 (from 70 to 60).
    • This increase in weapon EXP upon promotion also works for newly learned weapons, meaning that any newly learned weapon types will default to C (unless the class learns more than 1 new weapon or for another character due to story reasons).
    • Silver weapons and most A rank weapons have been moved to B to accommodate enemies. There is also a secondary reason for this down the line.

Now for the bit of bad news. Due to the str/mag split, this patch is pretty uncompatible with the previous patch. I apologize about this, but in the long run, many of the magic related skills actually work and make sense now. This should be the last time I have to reset saves, so from here on, it should just be a matter of pushing out new content.

Palettes aren’t in the best place right now and I’m fully aware of it. I will certainly revisit this down the line and clean it up, but priority for me at this point is getting more content out. Things like custom battle animations, better palettes, new music are all things I want to get to in order to improve the aesthetic quality of the hack… But content takes prioirty. However, if you like the hack and are good at any of the those things (and willing to help), shoot me a message because I certainly wouldn’t say no to the help.

The last bit of tweaking I am working on is a change to the Paragon skill as long term this can really start to ruin some of the balance of the later game. I think I’ve landed on a happy medium for a number but I’m still trying to iron on the kinks about why the change from 2x to 1.5x is breaking the game. For now, it will remain at 2x.

Thanks for reading. The OP is updated with the newest patch. For anyone who gives it a go (or re-go), I hope you enjoy it. Any feedback, just like any other hack in FeUniverse (which I really need to play some of the other great projects), is always appreciated.

Quick Edit: Have had a few people try the patch out, which is awesome to hear, but Sokaballa made a dumb mistake and left in the debug chapter after the prologue. Whoops. The OP is updated with the new patch… Sorry about that!

6 Likes

Quick update… Trying to do these monthly!

Been busy with life stuff and starting to play through @TytheBub 's Dark Lord and the Maiden of Light (which is really good by the way)… I’ve managed to work on Illuminated here and there over the past month. I’ve certainly noticed that as the cast gets bigger, so too does the development time for each chapter. Makes sense!

Just wrapping up development on Chapter 16 which was an interesting one to develop for me. It is a desert map with a time limit hampered by the boss who has a magic seal. Still tweaking it and getting more feedback, but the goal was to make a unique twist on a desert map.

Here are some screenies:

16.6 16.5 16.4 16.3 16.2

Gonna keep chipping away at it. Really liking how the project is shaping up, it’s just gonna take time.
It is a hobby, after all!

Lastly, if anyone who likes the project and interested in palettes would care to help me with some, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I know the palettes I’ve set up thus far aren’t great, and while I planned on improving my ability at making them once I finished the base game, I would always welcome some help.

Thanks for reading. I may get slowed down by some new hacks that got released this week as well… I mean, I gotta play them! (congrats @KrashBoomBang and @Pandan!)

5 Likes

Surprising biweekly update. Don’t get these out too often, but actually had a slew of free time this past week. I’ve wrapped up Chapter 16 until I can get some feedback from the one or two playtesters that have given me feedback. Feel pretty good about it, but may have to add some reinforcements depending on how people feel.

The bigger, more exciting part of this update is that I’ve added a whole slew of new music to the hack. Spent a lot of the last three days learning some VERY basic stuff about anvil, and after some trial and error with FeBuilder (which I just can’t speak highly enough about), I’ve added roughly 20-30 new songs. None of them are custom songs… More like songs from various places around the internet (vgmusic, youtube, etc.). I’ve updated the OP with the credits as well for all of these (making sure they were available to be used as best I could). Songs now in the hack come from games like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario RPG, a few Kirby games, Earthbound and Mother 3, as well as a few one-offs here and there. I’m excited to go back and start inserting them in places where I had previously used vanilla BGMs probably one too many times… Or in places the new songs fit better. For the most part, I feel decent about how the sound quality came out. I’m not great at the whole process, but the music sounds decent enough in game and that’s good enough for me.

I’m updating the OP with a new patch. It contains Chapter 16, but like I said earlier, it isn’t totally polished yet, so play at your own risk. The patch is more for anyone who would like to take a look at the soundroom, which has all of the new music I’ve added. There are still plenty of songs not in vanilla FE8 that are not in the soundroom (but already being used in the hack), though I haven’t gotten around to adding them just yet.

Thanks for reading!

4 Likes