Fire Emblem: Duty Calls (10 chapter demo)

Notable Features:

• All portraits are custom! (NOT F2U)

• Unique classes like the lich that buffs nearby monsters.

• Interlude chapters that take place before big turning points in the story offer an opportunity to talk to your allies.

• Decisions and character deaths impact the course of the story.

Story

The story’s first act follows Angus. A former general who was exiled from his country for his past crimes. He ultimately settled down in a remote village and formed a new family. But 15 years later, with war on the horizon, Angus received a letter calling him back to serve. The story then follows Angus through his internal conflict of protecting his new family or serving his country.

Other screenshots

Things to come
  • Secret promotion items that unlock access to unique classes.

• Rare tier 3 classes only accessible by a select few units.
  • A planned 20 or so chapter (plus gaidens).
  • An FE7-size cast of around 40 playable characters.
  • Full support conversations with each character having around 3 partners.
Other things of note
  • No skills.
  • General QOL features like Thracia trading and HP bars.
  • Difficulty and growth mode options available.
  • Supports build based on deployment like in FE9.
  • Support combat bonuses based on class rather than affinity.

Download:

As this is a demo version of the game, the full game is still a work in progress, and as such any feedback you may have is greatly appreciated. A recruitment guide, secrets guide, as well as credits for any assets I’ve used can be found in the Readme.

16 Likes

So what’s the story and gameplay like?

I have added this section on the story to the OP for more detail.

Story

The story’s first act follows Angus. A former general who was exiled from his country for his past crimes. He ultimately settled down in a remote village and formed a new family. But 15 years later, with war on the horizon, Angus received a letter calling him back to serve. The story then follows Angus through his internal conflict of protecting his new family or serving his country.

As for gameplay, I’d compare it to FE7 hector mode (at least in the earlygame). Enemies are not overly strong, but they outnumber you by quite a bit, so weaker units can still contribute. The first few chapters are somewhat of a training arc where your Jaigen carries while other units get exp, but your other units catch up quickly. Since your Jaigen is the main character in this game, the chapters are more deliberately designed with your Jaigen in mind. And growth rates are fairly low (around FE6 level), so units are unlikely to snowball, meaning soloing with a few strong units is not viable.

2 Likes

Pressing Start on the cutscenes of Chapter 1 makes it so the initial zombie does not gain the ‘Defend’ status.

1 Like

Thank you for the report. I have just fixed this and reuploaded the patch.

On Chapter 2, depending on who Angus speaks to first to recruit them (Brandon or Lysandra), they can cause the other to loop their dialogue options and retrigger events such as Brandon/Lysandra recruiting each other or either of them recruiting Mercian.

Booty Calls (33)
In this image, we see Lysandra’s only available conversation, that being Angus’s, after Angus recruited Brandon and Brandon recruited both Lysandra and Mercian.

Booty Calls (34)
After triggering the Angus/Lysandra conversation (recruitment), Lysandra becomes able to talk to Brandon/Mercian again, with the same recruitment dialogues she’d use to recruit both of them the first time. This is also true if Lysandra is recruited first, with Brandon being the one allowed to re-talk.

Booty Calls (38)
Mercian/Lysandra conversation, despite Mercian already being recruited.

1 Like

Thank you! This issue should hopefully now be fixed and I’ve reuploaded the patch. Chapter 2 is the chapter that gave me the most trouble by far, so if you encounter any other problems, please let me know.

Booty Calls (84)
Is the faced Dullahan meant to move during Chapter 6? It shows that he is supposed to have no movement range, but does still move nonetheless.

He is supposed to move. He will move to try to escape at the bottom of the map. The reason his attack range is like that is to signify that he will not attack you.

1 Like

Finished the current demo, and although I do not have a strong opinion through its general gameplay, being somewhat in par to enjoyability compared to the original Fire Emblems for the GBA, I have to recognize that its current ending is, by far, one of the most jaw-dropping conclusions I’ve ever faced. For the sake of conserving its novelty, I will not delve further on this, but I am obligated to say that this ending is the strongest point of this hack - being expertly crafted, greatly hinting at a very strong chain of events yet to come.

Some of the units in this hack suffer from being outclassed strongly, with main examples being Austin/Chase (with the second not only having somewhat better bases and growths, but also one less level), and Brandon/Dawson (with Brandon having better growths, extra levels thanks to his trainee condition and a good availability, making him a very strong unit.)

On the subject of not being able to solo/snowball, although 9 chapters don’t give me the widest of time margins to commit strong grinds, I have been able to set the seeds to begin what could be called “The Snowball arc”.

Booty Calls (130)

He is not going to wait for long.

4 Likes