Fire Emblem: Divine Genealogy (FE4XNA)

I’m looking at some different ideas for how to handle this question. One thing from Kaga’s notes that are available on SF is that they had originally intended for there to be a different male child based on who the husband was. So I’ve considered implementing something like that, or perhaps changing the male child’s class based on the pairing. Another idea that came up was implementing branched promotions, which would allow potential fathers to access different classes that would make them more viable as parents in various pairings.

Gen 2 is a bit of a ways off, so I’m not really set on a specific approach just yet. Just kind of thinking about it.

Will Pursuit also be reworked?

Trading also would make inheritance much easier to plan for, and with trading items that previously might have been locked to one character(Sigurd’s Silver Sword, Ayra’s Brave Sword) can be passed around. Both could be good or bad. It makes FE4 more approachable, but also kind of disrupts balance.
I personally think that as it is FE4 creates pretty interesting balance around items and money with lack of trading. For example, in Chapter 2 you have to choose who gets the Pursuit ring, since you can’t pass it around easily. It also means money is more important than ever, and you also need to think about who visits any given village.
This also means units can be given niches with events giving them weapons, rather than differentiating them with stats

Yes. Pursuit now allows the unit to double attack at +3 AS (instead of the standard +4 AS), and an enemy unit has to have +5 AS to double attack against the unit. But units will be able to naturally double attack at +4 AS.

I am addressing this issue by making the “rare” weapons that you obtain via the story into PRF weapons. Instead of the Silver Sword, Sigurd gets the Lustrous Sword. Instead of the Brave Sword, Ayra gets the Liuye Dao. Instead of the Brave Axe, Lex gets the Gilded Axe. And so on and so forth. So the ability to use these weapons will still require inheritance from a parent.

I’m also not quite sure how I intend to handle passing items from parent to child just yet.

I wonder how Pi’s FEIV remake is going.

2 Likes

I certainly hope that his project is going well. There are a lot of innovative gameplay ideas and some very impressive technical hacking feats. Pi’s remake splits the chapters up into multiple chapters with smaller maps, which is a substantially different approach than what I’ve decided to do with this remake. So with any luck and a lot of elbow grease, we’ll have two fantastic FE4 remakes to enjoy!

7 Likes

You mean two remakes to argue over about which is better and/or more accurate.

Zane and his 600 clones are the best FE character

2 Likes

Papillion best waifu
would stroke face all day 10/10 -IGN

Just a few questions about the Holy Weapons

1. Will they have special animations (since the number of units capable of using them is limited in this case). I feel like it’d be a shame for the animations to be the same for such special weapons. At the very least it would be nice if Seliph and Sigurd had special animations when using Tyrfing.
  2. Will they have limited durability like in the the other GBA games?

I never did get the point of giving durability to stuff like holy weapons, If they suppose to be weapons that last a very long time, but when they are in the hands of heroes, they only have x amount of use before braking

1 Like

At least in FE4 they’re infinitely repairable (for a hefty cost, of course) so it makes sense.

1 Like

I’m looking at some different ideas for how to handle this question. One thing from Kaga’s notes that are available on SF is that they had originally intended for there to be a different male child based on who the husband was. So I’ve considered implementing something like that, or perhaps changing the male child’s class based on the pairing. Another idea that came up was implementing branched promotions, which would allow potential fathers to access different classes that would make them more viable as parents in various pairings.

Really cool idea - curious too how you’ll handle the subs, and if you think they’ll be true substitutes or written into the game differently.

Good luck!

This topic has been quiet for a while, so I’ll take it upon myself to bring up things for this project. Especially since I’m finding things on the regular as I play through it for the first time.

For starters, I’ve heard that people have gotten stuck with two characters as lovers (i.e. Lewyn and Silvia in Chapter 4, iirc), so why not add a talk conversation once they reach the point that they can become lovers, so something like that doesn’t happen without ones control. Think of it like support conversations, where multiple S supports may be available at once, but you get to choose which one to go with.

Second, I was thinking that for when castles are captured, you could either choose which units go to which castle (if multiple have been conquered) or where all the units go collectively). I don’t know about other chapters, but I think that would save a lot of time in Chapter 2 since you won’t have to waste turns sending all your units back to the previous castles before Agusty gets to them.

P.S. Since chapters will be made to be shorter (or at least cut into smaller pieces) sides that mean that there’ll be checkpoints as opposed to being able to save every turn?

Wait, has a public version of this game been opened up yet? If so, where could I find it?

It has not yet been made public yet.

On that note, is there an ETA for a public demo? I’m itching to play this after seeing what FEXNA is capable of.

3 Likes

Link☺

here you go

6 Likes

Is Arch dealing with EN2, FE4XNA and ToT all at the same time?

FE4XNA is the only one of those three that Arch is the active developer of. Ternon and EN2 are handled by other people.