Fire emblem 7, "removable/improvable chapters?"

Hello! Currently thinking about how to improve Fire Emblem 7. I am a big fan of “all killer no filler” so I wonder if there are chapters that can be easily removed like story and gameplay wise or should be removed to improve the game experience?

Or else how how to improve chapters that need it. Basically I am thinking about what chapters would need aid the most.

I don’t mean it as an insult to FE7, any game has weaker chapters and I think that taking a look at them and trying to remove/fix them is good. No game is perfect, after all.

1 Like

The first chapter in HHM is perhaps the one who needs the most help. Mostly due to the fact that Matthew is dead weight in combat. But do not remove chapters.

But mostly FE7 doesn’t need alot of help in it’s chapters, it needs help in it’s modes. Lyn mode should not be a tutorial and Eliwood mode should not be normal mode. One is a complete snooze fest, the other lacks a few critical chapters. You want to improve the game? Get rid of the lord based modes and make every lord capable of seizing.

1 Like

Yeah for real, Hector Mode’s first chapter is a mess.
Specially if you didn’t train Matthew in Lyn Mode. I would say the problem is his personal bases, like he’s supposed to be a veteran spy with one confirmed year of service in-game (since that’s the time that passes between Lyn Mode and the main mode), yet his bases leave a lot to be desired (even if he’s not supposed to be directly fighting). Compared to the absolute unit that is Oswin… yep lol.

2 Likes

Yeah the major issues with FE7 isn’t so much with the chapters/maps, it’s with things like EXP distribution, difficulty, deployment slots and the lord modes.

Not to mention issues with individual units and the ever present issue of the Elibe duology of pre-promotes blowing growth units out the water even at the late-game stages.

2 Likes

I see… How should Lyn mode transition into the rest of the mode? Like… Should I still do that all units leave you/get revived for their next appearance?

But still, sounds like a good route to take. (Maybe Hector’s first chapter can be fixed by making giving hector a new sidekick or something like that?)

But yeah, a “one campaign” approach can be cool. Merging every mode in one. (Maybe I can keep the other modes for like… Bonus stuff? Like as bonus content, but keep the main mode all in one.)

I’d argue that no. While the epilogue in Lyn mode is kinda fun and can remain to some extent, if you are going a classic, single campaign mode when they die, they die. Not to mention most of the time when you don’t train them in Lyn mode they don’t tend to contribute much by the point they return.

As for discrepancies between modes…maybe do it like this. Eliwood’s intro chapter becomes the default chapter, with the one for Hector acting as a gaiden. As for Hector’s chapter, maybe having him start with Oswin aswell. Then the extra chapters in HHM become the default ones. And also Lyn mode should have a hard mode, where there is higher enemy numbers, variety, better weapons and HMB. But that’s a numbers adjustment you can do down the line.

Interesting. Plus this could mean I get to increase the size of the games cast. Like make dying less bad because you get more guys.

1 Like

You do have characters that got left in cutting board that could absolutely work. Leila, Fergus, the Reed Brothers, Murdock even Jake and Anna for fan service.