FETuber Hot Takes (what’s your biggest fire emblem hot take)

Ok that’s a good one.

Sidenote I really need to stop getting so heated when i debate someone about topics I care greatly about.

1 Like

nah, as long as you don’t personally attack anyone because you’re mad at their opinion I think that debating a topic you’re passionate about is perfectly healthy

It can be, but i’m not the best with my words so sometimes i can be easily misunderstood or misunderstand what the person is getting at.

I’ve also played a fair few SRPGs and Fire Emblem really is the only one where character inherently being able to double attack with a stat check at base is unique.

I can only think of one other SRPG that has this and its way harder to use. Super Robot Wars, and how it uses it usually isn’t worth it.

1 Like

It is actually quite important to bring up Kaga there because he was the one who came up with the idea and then reusing it again in a later project he worked on (Berwick Saga).

And whether it’s Fire Emblem or not (while it doesn’t really matter, since it’s the dev here that is in question), it is objectively not because Nintendo owns the franchise and Kaga’s work prior to Berwick, The Utna Heroes Saga, which used to be called Emblem Saga and plays exactly like old classic Fire Emblem with minor differences, got him in trouble because it was considered Fire Emblem enough (otherwise, why sue?). Berwick, his next work, had lots of new mechanics to avoid same the incident but still retains FE-like gameplay. You could say, they are technically (and are the spiritual successor to) Fire Emblem games and I do find them to be the better direction the franchise should’ve gone.

2 Likes

Does passive-aggresively calling someone elitist not a personal attack? :exploding_head:
Also, debating a hot-take with a cold-take in a what’s-your-hot-takes thread and then getting mad when retaliation happen sounds like something unhealthy.

1 Like

ok from some digging I did it wasn’t just that emblem saga was similar, it literally had direct references to fire emblem in its original incarnation. there also was legal trouble that occurred and its publisher was forced to pay Nintendo damages, while it wasn’t a copyright issue Tear Ring Saga was so similar to fire emblem a court of law agreed it was a problem.

after looking into some of the gameplay of Berwick, no fire emblem really shouldn’t have gone that route. the animations look sluggish and choppy, the aspect ratio is really bad, everything looks smooshed, and it seems like there isn’t a visable grid which is counter intuitve to a tactical game.

personally I think after a developer leaves a studio they, and their future works, shouldn’t be tied together since it can actually cause problems for them if their new projects don’t do well.

there are two cases that both support and detract from my way of thinking about this though. Bloodstained shows that the man who made castlevania great knew exactly what people wanted and gave them the product that met the demand and shows my personal way of thinking is alittle off. then there is Mighty No.9 which does show that there should be some separation from their works after they leave a major studio.

either way. I wasn’t trying to even make a cold take, hot take, or even take’n’bake. i just don’t see the merit in trying to remove one of the mechanically unique functions of FE away. since without it it just become like any other tactics game out there. hell I’d argue that without doubling Fire Emblem just becomes Advance Wars.

sidenote. ghost is trying to say its fine to debate someone as long as you don’t get personal by attacking them. he’s who said you sounded elitist. I’m who said it has negative connotations and have effectivly been debating with you for a day at that point. to that point I don’t think I’ve attacked you over this whole thing, just the idea’s themselves.

Agreed, i think Kaga is more creative with game mechanics than IS, alrhough both series have fun games. That being said i would love to see what game kaga would make if he had 1 billion dollars and all the time in the world at his hands.

it still needs to be said though, Creativity doesn’t always translate to good mechanics. hence genealogy, trading system. very creative, super unintuitive and depending on the player keeping track of every single unit in their armies gold count.

if Genealogy ever gets remade and they make arena abuse unexploitable they’ll have to scrap the entire pawnshop system just so that, if they keep the individual gold counts, the player will actually have enough money to do stuff with rather then for buy/sell trade weapons around their units.

1 Like

if Genealogy ever gets remade and they make arena abuse unexploitable they’ll have to scrap the entire pawnshop system just so that, if they keep the individual gold counts, the player will actually have enough money to do stuff with rather then for buy/sell trade weapons around their units.

You want to explain how the arenas are ‘exploitable’ in Genealogy, seeing that is one of the only two ways (three if your character is a thief) to make Gold in that game

such a good series, gives us what capcom konami won’t

I feel like the most creative ideas in FE4 all came with some potential drawback. The pawn shop/trading system makes every unit feel more individualized, and every weapon have its own identity, at the cost of potentially being clunky. Removing innate pursuit placed a greater emphasis on the importance of skills by essentially gimping like half the cast. Huge maps do wonders for storytelling at the cost of being a slog to play at times. And so on and so forth.

I guess it’s up to the individual player as to whether it’s worth the cost. I personally really like these decisions but I can understand why someone would be alienated by them.

1 Like

The arena in genealogy doesn’t have the usual repercussion of the unit dying if they lose. its effectively free money until they clear all 7 rounds. which is very exploitable and very time consuming.

1 Like

Uhh, you mean Konami, right?

2 Likes

you made me just have a mini existential crisis, holy crap I thought capcom made a few castlevania games, I could’ve sworn I saw their logo on aria of sorrow but, no! My life is a lie! the yu-gi-oh guys made simon belmont not the snow bros guys!

2 Likes

Well, I’m glad I could…uhhh…enlighten you?

2 Likes