FEBuilder Import AP

FEBuilder says it applies only to special classes but I don´t get what AP means.

What do I use this for?

It defines the animation cycling for the map sprite. You can usually ignore it but for special map sprites like Dancers it’s actually important.

Animation cycling? Is it like when you turn off animations and the dancer just spins for a moment?

Basically the way the animation advances through it’s frames. Dancer is a special case because of that, yes. You’ll notice the sprite looks pretty broken when viewed in the editor.

1 Like

In FE 8, APs are the same data except for Dancer, so you do not have to worry about it.
If you want to make Dancer, the AP becomes important.

For example, if you want to dance Lord, you need a dedicated AP.

let’s set Dance to the feature of Eirika and dance with map animation.
Then, The game freezes.
This is because the Eirika’s Lord AP does not have data for Dancer.

The AP is very complicated.
It will be a pain to make this.

But there is a way out.

That is to use FE 6’s Class:0x36 Bard’s AP. (Unit:0x34 Elphin)
Somehow FE 6’s Bard can dance while maintaining the normal sprite structure.

If you want to let Lord dance, you should refer to that data.

2 Likes

By bird, I assume you mean Bard.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I Fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks, this is extremely useful but I have a couple doubts left:

1)What does AP stands for? This is to make some other research about it.

2)Is there any rule to make a new dancer sprite? I checked the one in FE8 and I have no idea on how would I make a sprite sheet for that.

3)You mean extracting Elphin’s AP data, and then import it to whichever unit I want to make dance in any of the three games, am I right?

1)What does AP stands for? This is to make some other research about it.

It is Stan that named its function AP.
Certainly, I think it was an abbreviation for Anime Process.

Compared with the complexity of this function, the origin of the name does not matter.
The structure of the AP is very complicated.

2)Is there any rule to make a new dancer sprite? I checked the one in FE8 and I have no idea on how would I make a sprite sheet for that.
3)You mean extracting Elphin’s AP data, and then import it to whichever unit I want to make dance in any of the three games, am I right?

The story will change depending on what you want to do.
If you want to write a picture of a map unit, it is easiest to make data with the same image structure as the existing Dancer you want to change, and use the existing AP.

If you do not want to write a map unit picture and want to use “dance” in an existing class, it is easiest to use FE6 Elphin’s AP.

In other words, I think that it is easier to see only image data without understanding the structure of the AP.

If you want to understand the structure of the AP itself, read Stan’s documentation.

Routines reimplemented in C will also help you understand complex APs.

Stan commented on DancerAP.

It is a rather complicated structure, so I think it will take time to understand.
Therefore, I think that it is better to see only images without understanding the AP.

1 Like

We know, thanks to prototype FE8, that the file used to handle those structures in the original source was called ap.c. This is the reason I (now) refer to those as AP (I used to call those “TCS” but that’s a bad name for various reasons). “Anime Process”/“Animation Process” is probably a good guess on what it may have stood for.

3 Likes