[FE8] [WIP] FE:Colored [8 chapters, ~4.5 hours]

First post moment :blush:

This is a small hack that arose from a nostalgia trip with a friend. I had originally meant for it to be one chapter, but things sorta just spiraled out of control when I remembered how much fun romhacking was. The hack ended up being a way to mainly just to test the waters of what I could do in febuilder, so I tried to implement some cool things. Feedback would be greatly appreciated, because while I am moving on to other things, I still plan to update this hack to be as enjoyable as I can make it :>

Notable Thingies:

• Each chapter is selected from a menu in a Hub world. Levels and characters don’t carry over between chapters, meaning each one is a specific challenge with fixed stats.
  • There are a multiple of items locked behind unit conversations. Most conversations are obvious (such as units recruited in pairs having convos with each other), but imma tell you right now: Yellow has a convo with Gray in chapter 5. I couldn’t find a good way to hint at it :<
  • fe7 dancer rings make a return!
  • several new items, including the aforementioned support items.
  • max range warp, only usable in Shadow mode because cheesing chapters is all-too-tempting otherwise.
  • nerfed. bolting. and. purge (lemegedon, as I changed it in this hack). Ranged tomes were something I always wanted to implement in maps, but always, ALWAYS hated to play against. My solution?
    GAMBLING.
    50% hit rates or lower!
    Oh, and eclipse is basically the same, I think. Dark magic do be nutty tho :slight_smile:
    New ballista type, too.
Plot

There’s not much of one. Sorry!
Plot wasn’t really my focus. It came last after map design and all that jazz. I have no idea why I decided to make the characters basic colors OR why I decided to make the mugs myself, but I did.

The plot for the first four chapters is the generic edgy “shadow” story with a bit of social struggles and feelings.
Since the main plot is so short, not really much can be said about it without spoiling it. Just know that some of the dialogue (cough cough Dark White) is suspect :<

The four extra chapters all have their own isolated stories, with the last one (Regal Rumble) being the most developed.

Characters

They’re all just generic colors and the personalities I assigned to them. There are talk events between them, but they don’t increase support. Rather, they just give powerful items. As for indicating who has what convo, that’s hinted in the chapter dialogue (and explicitly stated in the chapter Oracle).

Screenshots and Smooth Jazz

I lied about the last part; this section just has screenshots. :frowning:

The map for chapter 6. I wanted to make a large map with lots of enemies to give that “big scale battle” vibe. There are lots of reinforcements and therefore the chapter is quite long. But you get a fancy new toy in Cadet, the auto-recruiting, fancy-new-class, sword-locked unit!

The map for chapter 8. Like most of the extra maps, it has a lot of strong enemies (and reinforcements) as well as a decent runtime. My second foray into a castle map. The first (and only) map with Dark Red being playable, too.

Edge. Need I say more?
Also this is chapter 2. We got lore AND a gimmick!

The only map with a preparation screen is chapter 6. In this chapter, your party is divided into two: one half you control, and the other half you fight against. This was a hassle to implement, but I love how it came out. Challenging yourself with randomly-generated teams is more fun than I thought it’d be.

Might put this in future hacks :flushed:

White as seen in the four extra chapters. He’s a special class that has access to light and dark magic while also being a flier. He really struggles to double, so you’ll be using him to OHKO or finish off enemies.

Doesn’t even show much, but I wanted to include it because it happened when I was scouting for images and I was laughing for a minute.

Sorry, Aquamarine. That Underdog (eff against promoted) didn’t help you much :frowning:

Just take the compliment. Sheesh. :roll_eyes:

-says Orange, surrounded by enemies and a Vigil Knight with a crit rate that wouldn’t quit.

• this was done in debug, in gameplay, all the enemies are dead :face_exhaling:

Famous last words. She got hit by a 18% :confused:
That sounds like a gimmick :thinking:

Another pair of images (text was skipped between the two) that preceded an unfortunate 5% crit. Poor Cadet. And after such a quote, too. :slightly_frowning_face:

Also Cadet is huge, wth?! Olympia is level with his chest :eyes:

Postgame

Beating every chapter (or instead if you can’t be bothered, watching the credits) unlocks a Shadow mode, offering the choice to replace units with their shadow variants at the start of the chapter.
For the first four chapters, this makes them often easier, as while you lack the powerful support items, you get stronger units.
For the four extra chapters, good luck lmao. They’re HARD.

Staring contest :eyes:

Credits

because i am not good at uhhhhhhhhhh a lot :blush:

Spell Animations:
Thunder (DS) - Mikey Seregon.
Glacies - Golden Sun, Mikey Seregon. (mwah, perfect.)
Static - Arch.
Shaver (DS) - Mikey Seregon.
Blood Tome Re. - SHYUTERz, Lovemachine.
Godspenst - SHYUTERz.
Slow Purple Blast - Scraiza. (botched the spell positioning, but hey, it still looks sick as hell)
Vertical Light Blast - Scraiza.
Flame Sweep - Scraiza.

[OpenFarFarRight]Class Animations:
Harbinger - Nuramon. (iconic; I wanted this so badly that I looked for it for 4 hours before finding out about the repo [im dumee])
Wicked Flier (Vigil Knight) - Blue Druid
Bushido (Shogun) - Intestine, IS,
Maiser6, TBA, The_Big_Dededester
(With some edits by me)

Tilesets:
Snowy Castle (CHP8) - N426. (made me gasp audibly when I first saw it; it’s gorgeous)
Western Isles Extended - Wave.

Music:
FE4 Attack - SME.
FE5 Defend - .s (whoever that is, couldn’t find a name)
FE4 Arvis - Saxor_the_Nobody.
FE4 Julius - SurfingKyogre.
FE9 Clash - Saxor_the_Nobody.
Dialgia’s FttF - GratedShtick.
LoZ II Battle - pandan.
KH Night of Fate - RandomWizard.
Phantom Hourglass Battle - RSFlame.
FE7 Distant Travels Rmx. - A Reliable Chair.

Download Link (hopefully I did it right):

Fe8 base, obviously :pensive:

Anyways,
Thank you very much for reading, and if you are considering playing my project, thank you again.
I hope you enjoy my hack!

*btw, if it wasn’t clear, I do plan to update this (I want a fancy UI, what can I say)
**that also means general critique is desired, too :blush: i know i need a lot of it.

Current Known Bugs
  • skipping through the Hub intro event presents you with a black screen. What you are (not) seeing is the menu select event. You are still in the menu as normal, but you just can’t see anything. Either restart the chapter, or just see if you can remember where you are in the menu. This will be fixed.
  • Blue doesn’t have a battle convo with Royal or Olympia in chapter 8. She should, but I referenced the wrong instance of her, so it’s impossible to access. This doesn’t warrant a new release of the UPS, but will be fixed for later.
  • Purple’s battle convo with Dark Red (if you somehow decide to get that) has a formatting error with one of Purple’s lines. The inverse color will be fixed.
9 Likes

Sword Berserker? Yes, please.

I really like the portraits and the different characters. However, please give the player units some luck.
Chapter 5 has 2 Grays. Can’t select the 2nd one so I have to end turn manually every turn.

I think an easy - and funny - fix would be to change the name of one of them to “Grey” :joy:

1 Like