[FE8] The Princess's Lament - A Sacred Stones rebalance, rewrite, overhaul, expansion extravaganza!

What is the intended difficulty level? I’m starting this blind on difficult, but I’m wondering if maybe normal mode has been tested more.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve figured. VBA do be like that sometimes.

Sometimes they both get it, sometimes not. It’s clunky, I know. You have to compare the stats before and after to know for sure, but then, you don’t always know your units’ stats by memory.

It was tested on difficult. Normal probably works, but I’ve not touched it.

1 Like

I’m extremely interested in this hack. I’m going to be downloading it tonight.

Before I get started are there any major updates planned that mean I should temporarily hold off? Also, are there any playable characters with either a lot of new boss conversations, or new characters who have those? In story-rich hacks I love killing bosses with ‘appropriate’ characters for the job.

Hope you enjoy it! There are no major updates planned at the moment, aside from bug fixes. There are a number of new boss convos here and there, but there isn’t anything like a specific rivalry of sorts, I don’t think.

Just here to say… Jeezus christ this brigand in chapter 5 outspeeds most of my deployed units except colm and eirika despite holding a battle axe
Fire Emblem - The Princess_1672557876797

how is the difficulty in this hack?? actual hard mode??

Edit: my game (Hard mode) auto skips ch7 into ch8 with patch 1.4 on mGBA

1.5 released

• The two recruitable characters from chapter 21x were unrecruitable because I am bad at hacking. It’s fixed now, I think.
  • Nerfed the OP brigand from prologue and chapter 5’s speed.
  • Fixed chapter 7 being autoskipped. Again. It had been fixed before, I just unfixed it and then forgot to refix it. Good job, me!

One of my first ideas was to make this guy into a sort of recurring miniboss, but I ended up dropping that idea. Being strong in this chapter is a remnant of that, but… honestly, I agree, he’s absolutely ridiculous. Lowered his speed a bit.

That’s what I set out to do, but I’ll let you be the judge of that! Please let me know how it goes.

Oh my God AGAIN!? I did it AGAIN! Okay, fixed.

1 Like

Question, were Mogalls supposed to attack with Strength now? I’m pretty sure they attacked with Magic in vanilla and I slightly question the design choice for the change (assuming it’s intended and not a bug, of course). Edit: They are magical beings who shoot beams, really doesn’t make sense to be a “strength” based attack.

I do, however, like the change of Artur being mounted. Will change up my strategy a bit.

Very good hack so far, love the little subtle story changes. I’m on Chapter 4 so hopefully I’ll be able to get the 6x Gaiden I’m hearing about (not looking at the requirements).

FE - Princess Lament-1

1 Like

That’s an odd glitch. I’ll take a look and see if I can’t find what’s caused the change, though I don’t think it’s worth releasing a patch just for this haha.

I couldn’t come up with a way to make him more interesting as a monk, so I just gave him a pony.

Subtle for now, heh… Thanks for the kind words!

As for the gaiden, I’ll just give you a little piece of advice: In case you haven’t noticed, there’s a talk display in each unit’s statsheet. Make sure to check everyone’s talk at the preparations screen, just in case!

1 Like

Noted. Didn’t realize those talk convos were listed, thanks for the tip. Also, I did some more digging into the Mogalls:

I tried attacking one of them with Artur, and as you’ll see in the attached screenshots. When I attack with him on a forest tile, he gets the avoid boost but doesn’t get the defense bonus. So I’m thinking that perhaps the Mogalls are attacking with magic and it’s just mislabeled as Strength? Gonna do some further testing if I can.

FE - Princess Lament-2

FE - Princess Lament-3

It’s definitely no more than a simple mislabelling. Thanks for confirming it, though! If it’s an easy fix I’ll just throw it into the next hot fix.

1 Like

v1.5 fixed the auto skip ch7 , ty
Also i am really liking the changes with weapons and story a lot, difficulty seems pretty good on hard too on ch8 now so this is all pretty sweet.

2 Likes

No problem. I did find another thing though. I would imagine 1-2 range Rotten Claws isn’t intended? At least all three of the Revenants in the first screenshot have them. Didn’t notice until now so unclear if they all had them or not. (Ngl, is making for a good fight though)

FE - Princess Lament-5

FE - Princess Lament-4

1 Like

This is probably the best rebalance hack I’ve ever seen so far. You’ve done a good job to avoid the error of balancing things too hard causing the game to feel more like a slog than an actual video game. It feels extremely polished and the story changes (up to what I’ve played, Chapter 7), are all very well done. Giving new opportunities for characters that are left to the side to shine is also a very nice touch, and they feel in character on top of that.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you’re enjoying yourself!

That very much is intended! In fact, if you check the OP, you’ll find the ranged rotten claws are featured in one of the screenshots. I wanted to give zombies a bit of an edge.

Thank you very much for the high praise! I can only hope it continues to feel as good going forward. Things will only get crazier from here on.

Did not see that part in the intro, thanks for the confirmation. Definitely made the fight more interesting, so I like the change for that alone. (I’ll take any difficulty in Sacred Stones tbh, lol).

1 Like

Do you have much more planned for this? Looking to be a really really well made rebalance for sure!

When both parties merg how many slots can we fill in end game map??

i dont wanna level up 2 of same classes except for healers for both parties when they merg!!

Edit: nvm found out!

It’s complete, actually. Well, complete*, as it’s missing most new supports. Maybe I’ll get around to writing them, but no promises there. There shouldn’t be major gameplay updates, but I’ll keep fixing anything that comes up.

For anybody else who’d be interested, unless I don’t remember correctly, the number of endgame slots is 16.

1 Like

You poor soul, you have no idea what’s about to fall upon you

1 Like