[FE8] The Princess's Lament - A Sacred Stones rebalance, rewrite, overhaul, expansion extravaganza!

Summary

SKREEEEEE is best, I praise your taste in characters!

Yeah I tried to do a gimmicky strength thief with Liselotte, but she probably needs at least a slight bump in speed so she can actually do thiefy things.

Glad you enjoyed my buffs on Snipers and Assassins! They were both pretty horrible classes in the original, and pierce being on a class that’s already pretty amazing just… didn’t make much sense.

She’s supposed to be inspired by Wolf/Sedgar. By which I mean, she’s a carbon copy of them lol

Summary

Love those units. Some seriously impressive numbers on them generals!

1 Like

Some more thoughts as I make my way through:

I’m really liking how the classes are rebalanced, but I’m wondering if maybe Valkyrie needs something to make it more on-par with Bishop. Slayer is just so good; hard to pick a mount with associated mv penalties over double tome damage vs. monsters. Maybe remove the mv penalties? Or give tome range +1 like in 3H? Idk just thinking out loud.

Great knight having 7 move and status immunity is huge and makes it a reasonable choice next to General and Paladin. GK was so bad in vanilla. Nice rebalance there for sure.

I really enjoy all the new toys-just got that arbalest in Ch 20 and I’m stoked to put it into action. Glad I made Neimi a sniper instead of ranger :smirk:

1 Like

I’ve got a possible bug, not sure:

Ch. 20 Spoilers

In chapter 20 it says you have 8 turns to reach Ismaire and “help” her. I’ve reached her with Natalie on turn 5 who has Ismaire listed as a “talk” in her status screen. But I can’t talk to her. Am I missing something?

spoilers

bring joshua over first, then bring a healer (natasha would be one)

Ch. 21 not 20 spoilers

Thanks for responding. Guess I need to start over and bring Joshua. He’s pretty much dead weight sadly :sob:.

I thought I had it figured out when I rescued her with Glen and tried to just hold her for the rest of the fight but she died while being carried haha

1 Like

Is there a bug with aggro on the latest version on chapter 10 or am I missing something? When Mia spawns in next to her dad in Fort Rigwald she seems to immediately somehow aggro about 4-5 other enemies from the corridor that she isn’t in range of and isn’t capable of dealing with without being overwhelmed. She has 6 vulneraries, but given that each enemy does over 10 damage, she still doesn’t last long, and the fact that the rest of the army at this point is comprised of low stat growth units makes it feel very hard to catch up and save her in time without sacrificing multiple units. Is it a matter of playing faster or am I missing something?

Enjoying the hack so far!

1 Like

Yeah that’s a rough spot. I had a hard time keeping her and Ramon alive. Ramon is horrible and gets doubled. Mia is a mage fighting a bunch of physical units. I hid Ramon in his cell and put Mia in the doorway/hole in the wall so only one enemy could hit her at a time and chugged vulneraries. That whole map is extremely tedious. But it gets better.

1 Like

Whoo! Finished the game! I’ve already made a lot of comments here, so I’m not going to make another big post reiterating what I’ve already said.

Honestly? I enjoyed this rewrite more than the base game’s story. Having Eirika as the central protagonist - and with a considerably deeper amount of personality/character development really boosted her.

As for last comments… I really liked the dynamic between Aristobulus and Na’amah (or however you write her name.) The character ending for Afrira was touching.

Also, Harriet and Elaine A-ranked- best girls for sure!

Summary

Same with Bastion (I actually started suspecting his reveal after chapter 24, but I still loved seeing the reveal confirmed.

Also… Melville was a girl!!! I didn’t see that coming!

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. Yeah Ramon seems about as strong as a generic enemy soldier lol. I guess it’s just gonna be a matter of me trying to play faster with Ephraim and Franz and putting off training all the units given to you in that chapter. I tried putting Mia in the hole in the wall the first time I ran through the map but I figured there was supposed to be a better way or something. Appreciate the advice regardless.

1 Like

I follow the word of the pros here. According to them, Valkyrie having horse means it’s automatically the better option, so it needs zero help. I give bishops advantages instead.

Haha, well that’s by design. I wanted to make that one into a difficult recruitment. Not Xavier level, but if you haven’t trained that guy it can be inconvenient.

Yeah that’s no bug, it’s intentional. The way I did it was having Ramón and Mia take turns tanking at the broken wall, so the other has time to heal.

Thank you so much for all of your posts. It was a pleasure listening to your impressions as you went.

Spoilerific responses

I am truly flattered that you think my Eirika is better than the original one. Like I said in the OP, I never set out to “fix” the original story or anything. I was really just having some fun, writing is pretty awesome when you’ve got an idea going! Glad the result turned out so well.

Aristobulus and Na’amah does seem like the next most popular part of the fanfic haha. I have to agree, to be honest, I loved writing those bits myself.

Harriett and Elaine are the best. I love them. You can probably tell by the fact that they have one of like, seven written supports haha.

Yeah, in hindsight, I suppose it’s only appropriate that the silver paladin would be the silver hound, haha. I actually didn’t do that part on purpose, I just liked the aesthetics of a white wolf.

And yeah, Melville is supposed to be a female baby bael. I imagine there’s no way to distinguish them, so I cannot blame Novala for the mix-up.

1 Like

1.12 released

• The following units have had their bases buffed: Albertus, Susana, Syrene, Liselotte, Ramón.
  • Changed the lance Ramón gets when Mia recruits him to a slim lance. Hopefully these changes will make chapter 10 more manageable.
  • Chapter 22’s player phase theme has been changed to Land of Promise.
  • Caellach’s stats have been buffed.
  • Tweaked Ephraim’s promoted palette slightly.
2 Likes

Yeah that’s no bug, it’s intentional. The way I did it was having Ramón and Mia take turns tanking at the broken wall, so the other has time to heal.

I ended up doing something like that on my winning run. In hindsight, I think I was putting Mia literally one tile out of enemy range and that was what caused so many to pursue her lmao. After some initial troubles I improved enough to play faster anyway and honestly thought it was a pretty fun map. Shoutout to Amelia’s generic soldier friend.

I know it’s been done to death, but I wanted to say that I’ve been really enjoying the changes so far. I don’t know how to tag spoilers so I’m not gonna go into anything too specific, but the story changes have made it much more interesting than the original Sacred Stones in my personal opinion. The new units and difficulty makes it fun too - Novala is a personal favourite. I love him having such a complex about being special and needed while simultaneously being a generic enemy shaman.

1 Like

It’s really interesting that there are some playable monsters, did you had in mind a playable gorgon when you decided to add playable monsters? it would have been interesting to see a non-evil gorgon.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it after all! I still decided to boost some bases a little bit, but it shouldn’t change things that much. Ramón will just die a little less easily and the others should be able to fulfill their intended rolls better.

Hey, it may’ve been done to death, but I won’t say no to some more ego-boosting lol

In all seriousness, thank you for your kind words! I love how many people seem to like Novala. I figured that’d be an appropriate characterization for someone with a handsome portrait like his.

Incidentally, for the future or in case you wish to elaborate: to tag spoilers, click the cog icon, then press “hide details” on the menu that appears. Alternatively, simply type the following commands without the quotation marks.
“[details=“Summary”]”
This text will be hidden
“[/details]”

Not a gorgon, I’m afraid. I wanted the monsters to each be unique in their own right, and I felt a gorgon would’ve been a little redundant with the mogall around.

1 Like

I’ve got a game breaking bug on Ch 21x. After seizing the throne, if I skip the cut scene the game crashes to a black screen but music still plays. If i try to watch the cut scene it freezes with an all white background once the flashback is about to start (I assume it’s a flashback anyway). I can’t get through the cut scene, or skip it.

I’m using mGBA. Can dm a save state if you’d like. It’s Version 1.11

Summary

FWIW I didn’t recruit either optional unit because I like my money too much. Maybe that’s the issue?

1 Like

I have a terrible idea for what you could do with the main story tower maps if you wanted to give players a place to farm supports and train up units if you want.

The idea is simple, instead of an 8 floor tower it’s a horde styled single map of decen’t size with about 50-ish waves of enemies to act as the “floors” of the tower.

The waves start off like the first two floors with a boss(es) every 6 waves until wave 12-15 where the enemies start occasionally being promoted and the bosses get tougher and tougher until you hit wave 50 and a group of like 4 tough bosses spawn to act as the final floor, clearing it could grant some random statboosters a gold or black gem or you could make some unique items as a prize.

It’s up to you if want to do it or not, but I figured I’d still suggest it.

1 Like

Oh, dear. Yes, please throw me a save and I’ll see what’s up.

That’s not a bad idea haha. The problem is… well, it’s rather silly. I did want to keep the postgame, though I didn’t have much of anything planned for it. Just a little easter egg boss fight at the end, maybe.

However, I could not for the life of me figure out how to make the tower and ruins appear for the Creature Campaign. I have no idea where the events for the CC are, if there are any, and the only other way to make it happen is to do it during the campaign, something I’d rather just not do.

Oof.

That is indeed an oof.

Well, you could try making a new world map node for it since a big field doesn’t exactly work being in the same place as the tower.

I’m just glad you liked the idea.

Oh, you could ask the guys behind “the sacred war” they kinda did a whole ass new postgame thing with the creature campain but it did require two seperately patched roms to do it.

1 Like

Yeah i could tell that bc i was messing around in the game files bc i thought that my support convos were bugged and then found the “easter egg”

semi-spoilery

Said easter egg being “you” the final boss of the ruins instead of lyon lmfao

1 Like
not really a spoiler but eh

Hahaha, yeah that’s it. I thought people would appreciate the opportunity to beat the snot out of me, after my many evils. I also intended to have Jude join as a second secret character if she wasn’t killed. Alas, it was not to be.