[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

It’s an interesting idea, if you’d like to make and include that skill, there’s some good resources on this site and you can ask people on the discord!

So I’m trying to install Heroes Movement and I ran into this.
I was wondering if someone knows how to fix this.
HeroesMove

Using SkillSystems Ver 2022/07/03

Hey there! I was looking into your custom skills, the 2 that I wanted to use, Defender and Deliverer, aren’t in the download. It would be appreciated if you could post them

See the readme:

Add this to Engine Hacks\Necessary\StatGetters\_Common.event:
"
prDefenderBonus:
	rIfUnitHasSkill(DefenderID)
		rIfUnitHasState(US_RESCUING)
			rAddConst(2)

Then, in that same folder, you'll need to add "prDefenderBonus" to the modifiers list of Defense.event, Luck.event, Magic.event, and so forth. For example, your Defense.event should look something like this:
"
pDefenseModifiers: // Defense
	POIN prAddUnitDefense prHalveIfCapturing prDebuffDef prAddEquipDefense prItemPassiveDefense prRallyDef prLifeAndDeathMinus VigorDanceCheck prSkillFury prFortressDefenseDef prDefiantDef prPushDef prDefenderBonus
	#ifdef __DebuffMinZero__
	POIN prMinZero
	#endif
WORD 0
"

For Deliverer, we do something similar, but this time we add it to Movement.event:
"
prDelivererBonus:
	rIfUnitHasSkill(DelivererID)
		rIfUnitHasState(US_RESCUING)
			rAddConst(2)
"

And, of course, make sure to add these skills into skill_definitions.event, skill_descriptions.event and skill_icons.event in the main SkillSystem file, as well as adding all of them (except for Defender and Deliverer) into Necessary\CalcLoops\PreBattleCalcLoop\PreBattleCalcLoop.event

1 Like

I did that, but those 2 skills don’t show up.

And yes, I made sure to make them valid IDs in the skill definitions file, replacing other skills.

The problem is that there’s no folder or file for those skills to work.

Is there a list with all the skills in this system? Somewhere where i can sit down and read the skills and their effects?

All descriptions for skills currently in the skill system are here:

Thank you…follow up question if i may bother…is there a way to implement this into FE7? Or atleast a similar system?

Not without quite a lot of work.

The best place to start with something like that is learning ASM and making some calcloops in my opinion.

Well crapbaskets…since i don’t know the first thing about hacking these things, what the hell is ASM?

Assembly language. You can learn more about it by googling it or taking a look at this thread: GBAFE Assembly for Dummies, by Dummies

I have been playing the vanilla fe8 with skills patch linked and i think something is wrong. For example vanessa has savior but it flat out doesn’t work. Ive seen cavs and armor knights holding axes they cant use. Ive seen broken green and red units that dont have animation’s, all stats are caped at 0, and their overworld sprites are the same as a light rune. They seem to be Cavaliers because they have canto and outdoor fighter as skills and have swords in their inventory that they cant use because they have no weapon ranks. Did i mess something up with the patching process?

The patch is about 5 years old. It probably has a ton of old bugs. Basically of the work has been dedicated to the skill system buildfile since then I imagine.

That may be true but this seems like an easy fix. Just add axe animations to armor knights, give them axe rank, and make all the light rune enimies lance cavs.

You should be able to make a new version of the patch yourself pretty easily:

Download the repository and put a clean FE8U rom named FE8_clean.gba in the root folder. Open EngineHacks/Config.event in a text editor, comment out the line defining USE_TEST_MAP (right at the top), and uncomment the one that defines USE_LEGACY_SKILL_DEFAULTS (near the bottom of the “skill behavior configuration” section), then run MAKE_HACK_full.cmd. It should create a file SkillsTest.gba, which will be vanilla FE8 with skills using the same skill lists as the old patch
This should include all bugfixes & infrastructure improvements since the original patch, but won’t include any skills newer than the old patch (since its using the same skill learn lists). As long as USE_SAVE_EXPANSION isn’t enabled, you should also be able to use your same save file

Hi, does someone have the fe8 vanilla rom with the patch applied? I want to try the skill patch but im playing on a mobile device

@C2.0 I don’t believe we are allowed to share pre-patched roms on this site, but it is possible to patch on a mobile device. I would recommend downloading the app unipatcher.

Hey does anybody have the Icons for the skills from 8B [Breath of Life] to D9 [Aptitute]. the patch I got came with all of their icons turned to garbage
Edit: Ok turns out the entire Skill is Garbage Data. I’m gonna need the full Skills

I really love your product. But please teach me how to remove the skills I think are unnecessary, and I want to replace the skills I want in detail.

All skill icons can be found here:

Please see this post on how assigning skills to units and configuring available skills work: