[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

I think there is a bug in SkillSystems save data extension (EMS).
I observed a strange phenomenon that flag 0xB0 (Casual mode) disappears when resumed.

I verified using SkillTest.

// If uncommented, a full str/split will be implemented without replacing any stats
// USE_SAVE_EXPANSION will be used even if commented
// TODO: Define an item ID for Spirit Dust (Mag statbooster) in "Strmag/Str Mag Split/Installer.event". Energy Ring is used by default!
// Item icon for Spirit Dust is included! Define your icon ID in "Strmag/_Master Asm Installer.event". Default is Green Note.
// #define USE_STRMAG_SPLIT

// If uncommented, will use a full (EMS-based) save expansion instead of the "old" suspend expansion
// Enabling this *will* break saves, but allows for higher stats and other things.
// #define USE_SAVE_EXPANSION

I tested each option.
Forcibly load the save data of the game in question with SkillTest, enable flag 0xB0, select suppend from the menu, and save.
After that, reset and start the game with resume.
Check whether the flag 0xB0 of the resumed data is enabled.

Disable both USE_STRMAG_SPLIT and USE_SAVE_EXPANSION
=> Works normally.
Some units are missing because the save data format is different, but the flag is successfully saved.

Disable USE_STRMAG_SPLIT , Enable USE_SAVE_EXPANSION
=> Does not Works.
Flag 0xB0 is not saved.

Enable USE_STRMAG_SPLIT , Disable USE_SAVE_EXPANSION
=> Does not Works.
Flag 0xB0 is not saved.

Enable both USE_STRMAG_SPLIT and USE_SAVE_EXPANSION
=> Does not Works.
Flag 0xB0 is not saved.

This problem seems to occur when either USE_STRMAG_SPLIT or USE_SAVE_EXPANSION is enabled.
Does not occur if both are Disable.

After all, I think there is something wrong with the save module.
Are there any other people with similar phenomena?

I only use FEBuilder and the default skills that come with its edition of SkillSystems.
I will add a separate sheet for non-default skills as they come to my attention. Thank you.

Of note, Provoke already exists in the skill list, so I do not know why you mention it.

Also, this spreadsheet is meant to be copied onto and used alongside development spreadsheets so one does not need to constantly look at the github page, and can also be edited for organization purposes.

Thanks for the lead Runa, I will look into that.

Solidary Crit avoid doesn’t work for me, though the Crit boost does. Neimi has it in the pictures below.

A few more issues I’ve noticed in the past few days:

• Forager doesn’t work

• Seal skills can still cause a stat rollover to the cap. I thought that was fixed?

• Vigilance provides +10 Avoid, not +20

• FE8 Joshua attacks Natasha now, I think with Gamble. Was the AI recently updated to use active skills like that? Next time I pass through that chapter I will take it off him and see what happens. EDIT: Removed Gamble, still attacked her. Not sure what’s up.

Hello benevolent Skill System creators. I am new to this amazing resource, and was wondering if there was a way for us users to manually alter skill effects in FEbuilder. I am currently in the middle of making a Legend of Zelda Fire Emblem mashup game and would like to make some personal skills that make sense to Link, Zelda, ect. If this is not possible, is there somewhere I could learn to do this manually? Thanks!

Outside of editing existing skills’ values, FEBuilder isn’t meant for editing or creating new skills. Your best bet is to grab the existing Skill System buildfile, learn how to use it and edit the skills in there.

By editing existing skills’ values, do you mean I can change something like darting blow from +6 SPD to +10 SPD?

You can do that through builder, yes. There’s a patch for it.

Oh sweet. What is the patch called? Or is it built into the skill system patch?

It’s on the patch list with everything else in the builder:
BlowCheck DartingSkill’s attacker’s AS(SkillSystems)

And could it be possible to make a more convenient way to change Skill order when updating, rather than having to manually modify it?

Yeah I have gotten a little bit of confusion over my last comment. I was meaning to use darting blow as an example. I don’t really want to change that exact skill, I just really want a way to change some values in the skills. Some are weak and some are OP, so I was hoping to balance things out.

The skill system is not made with balance in mind, the end user is expected to choose which skills to use and ignore and change their values to suit their design, it’s no wonder you think the skills aren’t balanced.

However, since the skill system is made with buildfiles there isn’t an easy way to edit the values for skills in febuilder, once the skill system is built changing the values becomes much harder.

You have to find the location of the value by yourself or wait for a patch for them to become available.

3 Likes

7743 is adding patches as requests come up for specific value changes, so long as the hex is identified it seems like a straightforward add.

Pretty sure darting blow can be edited in FEB with a patch if you want to reduce that.

1 Like

Well I am making a Legend of Zelda mashup with FE and just wanted to adjust some things to make cool personal skills that weren’t lame. I know the skills aren’t meant for balance, but I want to use some of them, just a toned down version. I basically just want to be able to edit the skills lol. I know it’s not going to be easy so I guess for now I will work around it.

Like the others have said, you have three options:

• Use the existing patches in febuilder to change skill values and or politely ask 7743 about editing other skills
  • Learn how to use buildfiles, change anything and everything you could want to.
  • find the skill asm in the rom, edit the values yourself
5 Likes

I understand my options. Who is this 7743 person?

the person who made febuildergba, @7743 is he

I do not help develop new skill,
If you want to change the value of an existing skill, I will can add a patch.
Please tell me the name of the skill you want to change the effect and the value you want to change.

If you want to develop a new skill, learn ASM and develop it yourself.

6 Likes

Could there be a patch for the activation rate on Flare or the defense reduction of Luna and Aether? Either would be fine. Thanks.

HP thresholds for Defiant skills and Quick Riposte (whenever that Skill is ready); Fury’s +X to all stats and recoil, and the boost from Rally skills, please.

Just a few things I’ve noticed being asked that may have some problems being made into a patch

these wouldn’t just be done by changing a single value. this may not be the easiest to do in a patch :C

this is possible, but just so you know, you would only be able to do this with divisions of 2 from 100% (50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125%, etc.)

just so you know, this would have to be many different patches (especially rally spectrum, unless the value was based on a dropdown menu instead of a byte change)