[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

Shade+ is the inverse skill of Provoke. Shade only lowers their priority on the enemy’s kill list; it doesn’t remove them outright.

3 Likes

Focus doesn’t work properly on enemies, they always receive the bonus even if there are other enemies within 3 spaces.
It seems that it only checks for ally units, even if the skill is on the enemy.
SkillsTest_01 SkillsTest_02

Edit:
Anathema seems to reduce the C. Avoid beyond 0. Is that intended?

Is it possible to have it on FE7 or FE8?

Skill system is FE8 only, if that is what you’re asking.

I got something in what I think is chapter 6 of sacred stones. Here’s everything that happened. It was on hard mode. I had every unit thus far. It was Ephram’s chapter with just him and three others. There was a unit that looked like a tile to step on, and when I went over it the game went nuts for a bit then stopped. And every time an enemy unit made a move it would do the same thing. I was playing the vanilla hack that was just a NUPS thing. Anyone got any causes or fixes for this?

I presume you were playing the link in the first post of just fe8 with skills.

Unfortunately that probably doesn’t give us enough to go on for bug fixing.

I would recommend opening up the game in FEBuilder, creating savestates right before it happens, and explaining the issue as best you can eg. “when I hover over the unit at coords 4x,7y, the game crashes” in a report.7z. See the first post below on creating a bug report file.

Alternatively if you can attach your savestates along with the ups file you used in that thread, that would also work.

1 Like

Is there a way to disable those letters from showing when a skill is activated? I want just the effect back

Random bit of trivia: The defiant skills in this work differently from how they would in Heroes, as they require the user to have 25% or lower remaining HP. Interestingly, because of this, it seems that Defiant Crit works exactly the same way Scarlet’s personal skill, In Extremis, works in Fates. It even grants the same amount of critical points.

4 Likes

I solved it, good ol brute force, attacked it once before the game could crash and it just disappeared!

So is the game supposed to crash when I enter the Tower of Vanli? It doesn’t crash the emulator because I can still save state back to before it crashed. If anything the emulator says it’s still running at 2.3 FPS, but I’m pretty sure that’s a lie.

1 Like

There is a bug in the new patch to cause Astra to do full damage instead of half.

The first attack deals no damage and attacks that follow do half the damage still. Sorry about the bad English.

Didn’t see anyone report this, but I think the Vantage skill may be slightly bugged. When a unit with Vantage uses this skill in a battle to attack first, they lose their ability to critical. This was in the most recent build of skillsystems in Febuilder, but I hadn’t seen anything about it in Github or in this thread. So I figured that I’d share.

I took a clean FE8U rom and patched it with the most recent skillsystems in FeBuilder. I gave the Vantage skill to Seth, made all of the killer weapons give 100 critical, and started the prologue. Here is the battle preview in the player phase:

Vantage 1

The battle screen when Seth attacks in the player phase. He hit his critical every time.
Vantage 2

And the battle screen when the enemy attacks during the enemy phase. Note that Seth did attack first, but his chance of a critical went to 0 for some unknown reason:
Vantage 3

Small thing, but happened to come across it. Thanks.

1 Like

Whoever made Vantage+ did some weird shit with the critical rate that also applies to regular Vantage. I know because I had this exact same issue with my hack that I fixed just by axing Vantage+. I’d push my fix but it’d get rid of Vantage+ :OOO

3 Likes

I just fixed this issue with vantage in my hack as well. Seems that the below should be uncommented and a branch to “Normal” should go at the end of this section before the “VantagePlus” section:

ldsb r3, [r5,r3] @currhp
cmp r3, r2
bgt Normal
@swap them
eor r4,r5
eor r5,r4
eor r4,r5
b Normal

Assuming my understanding of the ASM is right.

2 Likes

What is that skill called where you get +1 damage for every 4 damage taken? I forgot it, I need to know it, and I don’t want to hunt through the game to find it again

frenzy

There is a bug with capture where dropped enemies aren’t being removed from the enemy unit array.

A temporary fix I made, that only doesn’t work if the player drops the enemy unit on space 0,0, can be found below:

.thumb
.org 0x0

@set bit 0x1 of byte 1 if unit has 0 hp when being dropped
@jumped to from 183B0
@r2=char data of droppee

@r5 = dropper
@r6 = x coord (or 0 if giving/taking)
@r7 = y coord (or 0 if giving/taking)

strb	r0,[r5,#0x1B]
strb	r0,[r4,#0x1B]
strb	r6,[r4,#0x10]
strb	r7,[r4,#0x11]
ldrb	r0,[r4,#0x13]
cmp		r0,#0x0
bne		End
cmp		r6,#0x0
beq		Transfer
cmp		r7,#0x0
beq		Transfer
str		r0,[r4]
b End
Transfer:
ldr		r0,[r4,#0xC]
mov		r1,#0x9 @make them dead?
orr		r0,r1
str		r0,[r4,#0xC]
End:
pop		{r4-r7}
pop		{r0}
bx		r0

Replace Drop_Dead_Enemy.s with the above.

I’ve made some skills, and matching skill icons, for a project I’m working on and thought I’d share them for everyone to use. They’re mostly recreations/adaptions of skills from Awakening, Fates, Heroes, and Three Houses, but some are meant to be used as more dynamic replacements for generic +2 Stat skills. This is all free-to-use, free-to-edit, credit or no, all that good stuff.
Just drag the SkillSystem folder into your SkillSystem_FE8-master\Engine Hacks and merge, but be sure to look at the readme to properly install them!
Download them here

I’ve included Transmute on its own because it’s rather inelegant, and requires overriding some files. However, I think some folks might still like it so I decided to include it. The code that unsets the Transmute bit basically piggybacks off of the Armor March skill, but as far as I can tell both Transmute and Armor March skill work fine. Again, make sure to check the readme.
Download Transmute here

AirSuperiority Air Superiority: Against flying foes, grants +30 Hit/Avo.
Concentration Concentration: If unit is not adjacent to a foe, grants +2 damage dealt.
Defender Defender: While unit is rescuing ally, grants +2* to all stats.
Deliverer Deliverer: While unit is rescuing ally, grants +2 Movement.
DivineProtection Divine Protection: Grants -2 damage recieved to allies within 2 spaces.
GambleFE14 Gamble: Grants Crit +10. Inflicts Hit -10.
Guard Guard: At start of combat, if unit’s HP > 50%, grants +10 Critical Evade.
Heartseeker Heartseeker: While in combat against an adjacent foe, inflicts -20 Avo on foe.
Transmute Transmute: If foe initiates battle and deals magical damage, grants unit +3 to all stats for 1 turn.
Volant Volant: If no allies within 2 spaces of unit, grants +2 damage dealt.

*I chose to make Defender grant +2 because you won’t be getting it on top of Pair-Up bonuses like in Awakening and Fates. This is easy enough to change if you’d prefer the default +1.

16 Likes

More skills is always greatly appreciated. I hope they get put to good use.

3 Likes

If you’re interested in pair up bonuses, you might find this (by Crazycolorz5) useful:

I have no idea how many years ago this was made, but i’ve been finding a number of cool things in the ‘unified hacking dropbox’. It seems users generally just create ASM threads to share their hacks these days, but some older gems exist only in the dropbox.

2 Likes