[FE8] Sacred Echoes [v1.1] [COMPLETE]

Watched some videos on this it looks really cool, I think I’ll wait for full release to play it. I love the concept of not just changing numbers for a re/demake, any FE could seriously benefit from this sort of treatment. Numbers won’t fix bad maps/objectives. Plus so much legwork is already done and you can focus on mechanics

also goes without saying, but aesthetically this is the nicest looking romhack i’ve ever seen by a sizable margin, serious eye candy

3 Likes

Happy Gaiden day! Most of Act 4 is now playable, though there’s enough still awaiting feedback that I’m classifying this as the Act 4 Beta Release. I wanted to have something out today even if it isn’t as polished as I’d hoped, because sitting on it isn’t doing me any favors.

New Features:

• 16 new maps (6 Celica chapters, 9 Alm chapters, and the Lost Woods)
  • Major animation system overhauls by myself, Nuramon, and epicer - every class now has start-of-battle entrance animations!
  • Improved and/or new mapsprites courtesy of myself and FEier
  • UI improvements
  • Reduced weapon clutter: classes which can use multiple weapon types now have a menu allowing you to switch between them without taking up inventory space. This will act upon existing saves and free up some inventory slots on your barons!
  • New music, including additional boss theme for Act 4
  • Extensive rewrites to address Act 4’s plot issues

Known issues:

• Chapter 28C has a preventable softlock if Celica or Conrad are used to open the side doors; a technical solution is in the works, but until then, keep these two units in the central area.
  • Fear Mountain and the Secret Shrine do not have maps yet; if you enter one of them it will send you back to the title screen with no ill effect. It does not mark these chapters as completed, so you will be able to visit them in the next release.
  • There are some sound effects issues in battle animation hit effects; more data on specific setups to test is needed so I can debug.
  • The latter half of Alm’s chapters haven’t had much playtesting; I’d appreciate feedback on enemy balance there.

The patch is available in the root folder here. Script changes are not 100% finalized, so the Spanish translation will be uploading in mid-April.

37 Likes

Very epic. Congrats on the release!! Such an achievement.

4 Likes

Is the previous save compatible to the new patch?

Oh my god. This is amazing! Thanks man.

1 Like

Yes, it is. Most of the new features will auto-patch older saves to be compatible. There may be some differences with starting support ranks, but those should resolve when increasing support ranks. Sonya’s spell list has also changed to include dark magic; this will resolve itself any time you promote her as a magic using class, or you can edit her character RAM to add her dark rank manually if you don’t want to wait.

I’ve gotten some bug reports about Rudolf’s map which include a crash during end events, and I’ll have a fix for those out later today. For the moment, please wait on completing that map until the fix is uploaded.

EDIT: definitely will take a bit longer to fix Rudolf stuff, but I did fix a good chunk of it. I’ll have a hotfix patch up before the end of the week.

1 Like

Amazing work! How much more do you have until this is completed?

Those few frames of animation at the start of the battle are SO cool. Feels like actual Echoes when the animation begins before the attack, really good work.

2 Likes

Really looking forward to the hack! Easily one of the best I’ve played so far.

1 Like

Hello !
As someone who never tried Gaiden or Echoes, this is a blessing. While I dont have the faintest idea how much you added to the base games, I would say the result is pretty good, specifically portraits that are amazing.
I am currently playing on difficult mode and almost everything looks alright. (while having no clue how much it differs from normal mode since i didnt delve a single bit in it, could probably give more insight after finishing both)
However I’d describe the first Berkut encounter as a bit tedious, and apparently most Celica maps are just being Celica maps, as they ought to.
The only thing I could really point out is the lack of a clear turn count for the sluice gate chapter. Knowing you’re on a timer is something but having it entirely stated clears all unfairness.
Finally, I am clueless on what to do for 28C. I did read the issue about Celica and Conrad when they open any door but i cant seem to find any other character who can get inside no matter what I try.
I hope you will keep your great work ! Best of luck on your endeavors.

Thanks for the feedback! I will look into adjusting the Act 3 Berkut fight and making the Sluice Gate gimmick better communicated.

As for 31A and 28C, I have just uploaded a new patch which fixes the softlocks and major issues with these two maps; Act 4 can now be played to the end of the story. There are still quite a few bugfixes to be done and enemy unit adjustments to be made that I’ll be picking through before starting on Act 5.

5 Likes

Are there berserker promotions here?

Hoping it would be complete would be appreciated if there is a recuitment done on the format like code of the black knights thansk

Hello! I am have one question. How and where to use “Member Card”?

Had a bit of a bug in my Difficult mode run at the end of Celica’s route in Act 4. When it got back to Alm it forced doing the Sluice Gate map again. Was able to fix it by doing an Alm map before completing Celica route.

Not sure if it’s related to the Deen/Sonya choice, Sonya shows up in a scene at the end of Celica route even if she’s dead. Difficult mode feels pretty balanced overall.

Just cleared Act 2.
I think Nosferatu is broken (in yet another FE game). Silque and Genny pretty much got most of the exp and then broke the game.
Silque has access to +3 SPD from Thief Shrine, which lets her double a vast majority of enemies. True Hit does wonders for Nosferatu accuracy, and the +3 DEF Hide Shield lets her take two enemies on at once. She’ll quickly be ORKO’ing the vast majority of enemies, snowballing into a Saint pretty quickly.
Genny is even worse. Despite having no SPD statue, Cantorship exists. If you get her to L8 or so, she can exploit a 1 tile chokepoint on your boat to farm the Cantor summons and easily reach level 20.
Both are offenders, however, due to Priests getting increased combat EXP, which means they snowball easily, as well as Silvershields being buyable at Zofia Castle, deleting any semblance of squishiness.

Blame Echoes lol

Genny capped 20/20 on the Grieth map. Celica at max as well, and Mae is promoted level 11. Godlike unit.
Its literally 3 units slaughtering everything because I bought 3 Silvershields with the warship war chest to make my sweepers invincible.

Also, on the Grieth map, on the small 1x4 room below Greith that normally is filled up with archers and dark mages. If that room gets full and the door isn’t opened, whatever patch or function that makes spawnblocked enemies seek out a new tile doesn’t work properly. If a dark mage reinforcement tries to spawn while the room is full, he walks across the entire screen and goes out of bounds to the left. If you scroll through the enemy list then press b while you’re on one such mage, you get the cursor out of bounds, before being kicked back in bounds. Map is still clearable, since its a seize map.

1 Like

Gaiden broken? Old news, we all know you can solo the game with Est.

1 Like