[FE8][One Chapter] The Deep Sea v1.0.1

FE8HackTemplate.emulator-12

Download it here! (Credits included)

Fire Emblem: The Deep Sea is a one-chapter hack focusing on delivering you a fun and laid back take on naval combat. It’s inspired in part by other hacks such as Temple of Ardesia or Flames of Redemption, but mostly it’s inspired by me taking a walk by the beach the other day.

Includes such amazing features as…

Epic features

Hilarious combat interactions!
FE8HackTemplate.emulator-18
A crude attempt at a story!
FE8HackTemplate.emulator-13
Funky weapons to play around with!
FE8HackTemplate.emulator-14

Patch Notes

v1.0.1

• Fixed the O’Neill’s death quote so the hack is beatable.
  • Changed Have At 'Em!'s description to be more lore accurate.

Second, slightly smaller, download link!

18 Likes

Ok so… I sank the O´neill… Now what?

It doesn´t seem like I get some closure… Oh well… I guess the prince will go through the seas forever…

Btw I had a lot of fun with the hack, this could become a full on hack if you wanted to do so. That or it can even be a side chapter for a romhack, I hope to see more games/chapters like this one.

1 Like

The hack has been updated!

Patch Notes

v1.0.1

• Fixed the O’Neill’s death quote so the hack is beatable.
  • Changed Have At 'Em!'s description to be more lore accurate.
1 Like

what the heck why is there a ship on land?

What do you mean being doubled?

Well I read it so there. Ha Ha Ha.

Thanks for making this short hack about ship warfare!

2 Likes

Ah yes. Avo. Vo.

Btw the raft is so freacking good. It deserves to sink the O´Neill.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

1 Like

I´m going to keep your name on the back of my mind so that when you make another rom I can recognize you as that pirate who made a cool rom hack.

1 Like

I had a good time playing through this. Took me about 20 minutes to finish it, which is nice. I really enjoyed the funny descriptions, and the music was cool too.

The only annoying part is how long it takes to move your warships. They fall behind too quickly, and they seem necessary to kill the boss. Also, considering how big the map is, I wouldn’t have minded one or two more units, although the chapter is pretty easy already.

I noticed that the footstep sounds are wrong. Assuming it wasn’t intentional, this can be remedied by using the “Fix PlaySoundStepByClass” patch in conjunction with the movement sounds window in FEBuilder.

portrait

You probably know this already, but the lack of portrait in our playable units causes this bug. Not a big deal, just felt like pointing it out.

Flames of Redemption

I’m glad I could inspire another hack, even if it was only in part. I hope to see more hacks with playable Fleet in the future :sunglasses:

1 Like

Franz MVP (it doesn’t display the name but trust me, it was Franz)
boathack v1.0.1

Anyway, nice hack! I loved all the flavour here, from the FE references to changing practically every text to fit the pirate theme. I also enjoyed the first-person narration style, made it read more like a short story than a hack. The gameplay was very unique as well - I never saw something quite like it in an FE hack.

It did feel like the GBA format didn’t work too well here, though. All map sprites were extremely similar, making it hard to tell different ships apart - especially since none of them had a portrait. Also, the movement of the sailboats & the range of the warships were so large that they couldn’t fit on one screen, and I had trouble making sense of it. Still, the chapter wasn’t too hard so it didn’t matter that much (and most of it is due to the GBA’s nature/lack of assets anyway).

Nevertheless, I had fun! 1 chapter hacks are always nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback again, gamers! It really is a shame that there isn’t a raft map sprite, but we make do with what we have. I think the movement ranges and amount of units are fine as is, but I think this would’ve definitely benefitted from more spaces visible on screen. The Deep Sea Tactile port never?

I messed up the walking sounds by accident and never went back to fix them. The gallopping sounds the boats make are part of the charm for me personally, and I don’t think I will ever fix it :sunglasses:

3 Likes