[FE8][Complete] Fire Emblem: The Four Kings (4/11/24 Update: Now With Weapon Reversal!)

I don’t actually know if they would work or not. You can give it a try if you want, though. If that doesn’t work, you could always open up FEBuilder and add in an extra sleep staff as a droppable or in a recruitable unit’s inventory.

1 Like

Huh, I never considered that. I’ve never used FEBuilder before but it doesn’t look terribly complicated. Thanks!

And again, I’m really enjoying this hack so far. I find I bounce off a lot of FE hacks, as they tend to feel sort of lifeless, but I’m really digging this one.

1 Like

Glad to hear that! I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

2 Likes

sounds like the perfect time to learn some memory editing!

open up memory with your emulator, go to 0x3004e50
select the unit with the staff, look at the four bytes in memory and go to their offset (for example, 4c be 02 02 would be 0x202be4c)
check what slot the item is in, go to the corresponding byte, and change the uses byte to 0A

• first item slot - offset+ 0x1F (31st byte)
  • second item slot - offset+ 0x21 (33rd byte)
  • third item slot - offset + 0x23 (35th byte)
  • fourth item slot - offset + 0x25 (37th byte)
  • fifth item slot - offset+ 0x27 (39th byte)

for more information/references for memory editing, @Tequila’s notes are excellent!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5l8c2sk4wqj54c1/AAC7F8Vhqh7i-7mjwJSFOAlWa?dl=0&preview=Better+Notes.txt

3 Likes

Hey there! I’ve been playing this hack for a couple days. Gotten up to the intermission, and so far, I’ve really enjoyed it! It’s more difficult than the few last FEs I’ve played, but to be honest, I appreciate that, and it’s well designed difficulty too.

I love the idea of every unit having their own prf weapon to set them apart. Reminds me of Vestaria Saga, but even there a couple units missed out. I also like how a bunch of playables were introduced at the beginning of the game, but they all leave because the main character is an idiot, and then he has to go around apologizing to them. Interesting idea.

Oh, and actual Thracia-style escape maps! That’s pretty cool too.

Anyway, I have found a couple of issues that I want to report. I’m playing on the latest version.

• The Pursuer is literally a Berwick Saga lance, and I love that weapon type to death, so I can’t wait to get my hands on it. However, it seemed to be broken when I faced Sarah in chapter 10.

As you can see, I had Max wait at the edge of Sarah’s range, so she should’ve had the max charge bonus (no pun intended) when she got to him. However, she instead had… all of 1 might. It’s not like it trivialized the map or anything (either way she would’ve gotten blasted away by Sally immediately afterwards) but I fear it’ll also be broken when I get to play with it myself. That’d be seriously underwhelming.

• Speaking of Sarah, for some reason she appears twice in the supports list.

• Also in chapter 10, Zach and Ava claim that they will go with Lionel and Walter, respectively, but they’re not force-deployed and they can be moved in the formation, into the opposite team. That’s kinda weird.

• In chapter 2, the reinforcements are hinted at, but the game doesn’t make it clear enough that they’re ambush spawns. This resulted in an unfortunate reset. The game actually does go out of its way to state that the reinforcements will move as soon as they appear… in chapter 3. Why there and not in chapter 2?

A few typos I found

Maneuverable.

He talks about hitting “him”, but there’s a lot of us!

Could use a comma there, but this one’s minor.

Not exactly a typo, but the two soldiers who appear in Shelby and Yufin’s B support are glitchy.

Two in one!

All right, that’s it. If I encounter any more issues, I’ll let you know. Other than that, just know that I’m having a good time so far!

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately the Pursuer’s effect doesn’t actually work while Sarah is an enemy, since the Charge skill uses Canto to add the damage. Thankfully, the effect does work when she is a player unit. I just can’t remove the weapon from her in chapter 10 since I need to show off her personal weapon and stuff. I considered giving her a bow, but I felt that would make her a little too easy to cheese. In the most recent update, I actually gave Sarah an Axereaver as a boss so that she has a weapon that isn’t super weak.

The support list is an absolute mystery to me. I’m not too concerned about it though.

Initially I was gonna have Zach and Ava be force deployed in chapter 10 but was fucking up the force deploy slots for them so I just dropped that idea. Thanks for reminding me to edit the dialogue there!

I thought the chapter 2 warning was fine (especially since those mages show up on turn 7, which is pretty late), but I can make it more explicit.

I’ll fix all those typos, but I actually don’t wanna change the Yufin/Shelby bug, purely because I think it looks really funny, haha. I imagined it as Yufin blowing that dude’s face off.

Thank you for telling me about these!

EDIT: And updated the patch like with a new update to fix these things and some other stuff.

5 Likes

Another quick update, I added some green units to chapter 10. That should make it easier.

1 Like

Today’s update has a few changes. Firstly, stealing an idea from Zaim, all affinities now give +2.5 hit, meaning every support will give a minimum of +5 hit. The updated affinity bonuses are in the main post.

Chapter 7 has been made easier. Brigands were pushed back a bit, the lower wall breaks much more slowly, and the contents of the villages have changed. The top right village used to give a Killer Lance, but now it gives a Knight Crest. The reward for saving all three villages at the end of the chapter is now a Body Ring instead, and the Killer Lance that used to be there is now in Locritus’s starting inventory.

Also Shaun got +2 base luck and a few weapons lost their crit.

Updated patch link is in the main post.

2 Likes

Aaaaaaaand one more patch link update. There’s now a droppable hoplon guard in chapter 1 on the boss. Crits begone!

2 Likes

I love all of these additions and tweaks that I can’t enjoy because I’m up to chapter 13 already.

Oh, well. No matter, there’s always the second run. At least I got a kick out of the patch name.

1 Like

Hey, you can enjoy the support changes no matter where you are!

1 Like

Finally finished the game.

Favorite chapters were 14, 17 and 20 because of the chapter layout and positioning.

I liked that the levels were structured so it wasn’t insanely hard to get every available statbooster from the enemies. Getting the one in Ch.22 from the thief took me a bit to figure out.

Besides the lords and Ava, the most useful characters for me were Vin , Cindy, Marcie, Terry, Sally, Max and the four magic users.

The available statboosters in the shops really help with evening out some characters.

The only issue I had was that that the non-magic units had a magic stat and wasted some level ups on it while the magic units basically didn’t have a Str stat (since it was set to 0). Some examples are Marcie and Cindy.

Shelby lucked out with good level ups especially for Str, Skl and Spd along with some statboosters.

Sally can be great if you give her an angelic robe/speedwing to make up for her bad defence/resistance.

Great for baiting very powerful and dangerous enemies with his prf weapon.

Great for fighting magic users of any type.

Great with status staves and Light magic.

Support with Shelby and being able to use Nosferatu made him a great unit.

Great for castle/fort chapters with tight spaces and enemy archer/snipers.

Critical manic due to Prf and supports.

Great for killing dangerous enemies without letting them attack with Prf.

Great for fighting Sniper/Archers and killing Knights/Generals.

I plan to do another playthrough to try to use the characters that I sidelined.

2 Likes

Congrats on beating it! That is one absurdly buff Shelby right there. Also note that Marcie can use magic swords on promotion, hence why she has a magic growth. Glad you seem to have enjoyed the game!

1 Like

Quick update to the patch link, mostly just some bug fixes and eliminating a few typos. Though I did change the chapter 17 talisman into a speedwing since that thing was kind of a joke item before.

1 Like

Cindy and Marcie and Patty can use swords after promotion
So magic swords on them wont suck so much
Wow ur stats and levels are so high my highest level unit is lv11 candace…
Others be like 5 to 8 and somehow u nearly capped stats so lucky

1 Like

That feedback actually gave me the idea for another change! Max, Vin, Cielo, Hoff, and Cindy (the remaining sword users who previously had 0 magic) now have actual magic growths! Though only Cielo and Cindy have particularly good magic stats. Max, Vin, and Hoff still have very poor magic. But at least now every sword user has some sort of magic stat. Patch link has been updated accordingly.

1 Like

I got lucky with some stats but for the levels, I sort of exploited the chapters with reinforcements that didn’t have Void Curse so my units got to a good level. I also waited till level 19 or 20 to promote my units.

Save up money and buy skill books and goddess icons when possible.

For Sally, I gave her the Metis Scroll I got in the Desert Chapter and an angelic robe.

During the army split, focus the exp on a few units that you will use from both armies when they come back together.

1 Like

Is there any way to change character deployment limit with FEBuilder? Not only for your hack, but for every Fire Emblem game I play I like to have a good amount of characters.
Thanks for advance! Great hack!

1 Like

Yes, it’s easy to do. In the Unit Placer, every chapter has some amount of units allocated for the Player Placement. You can increase this by clicking on Extended List and changing the number. Just make sure to place the new deployment slots in good locations!

2 Likes

Thank you very MUCH! I love you, bro!

1 Like