[FE8][Complete] Fire Emblem: The Four Kings (4/11/24 Update: Now With Weapon Reversal!)

Lol i totally dont want to mess with reinforcements cuz my units might die
And focusinf the exp gain isnt an option to me cuz (im noob as mangs probaly) i need to use every units to have everyone survive the map and beat it quickly
Like jeremy sarah jack hoff etc

Krash dont it seems really weird that armors use magic while having low res
Zoe and swordmasters using them are fine but max doesnt seem like a magic type of man

1 Like

I just thought Cindy having a good magic stat would be really funny. She’s already in a traditionally memey class, Bow Armor, so giving her randomly good magic seemed appropriately silly. Wind Sword Cindy hype!

1 Like

My general view on this hack:
Balances:
No self inserts that are overpowered (only prf weapons that is on the next level of bs)
(But the + 30 crit really breaks the balance and requires hoplon guard (30 luck isnt enougb to negate all crt)(or ally total destroys the enemy) so vanilla games nerfed it at fe7)
(And halberdier didnt have it so ron get kicked out in the end)
Meanwhile the normal enemies are the real threat (bosses are compared very easy too stationary snipers. Sabered hero, holy sword otks)
Enemy scaling: mayhe just gets them some effective weapons but not A rank shxxs everywhere
And ch9 A rank weapons make no sense to me (where are the steel / C rank tome weapon enemies lol)
Player has to utilize the prepromotes (at least for me) and the prfs (vin savior) to create anti bs for it
And shortbow is another piece of shxxxxxxxx
But since it was just silver thingys that makes them strong, a lot of enemies will get one turned in late game

Plot weirds:in some chap, it says bad equipments, but they are using the same things as the ch20 lol
Locritus: im a traitor, cuz I attacked the rebels
???
Ian:I love him, but I still one shot him in cold blood
Is gays have such manly relationship?
Units:
Anyways the plots are great most of ppl have more story in them or have events too
They all have obvious weakness/strength (so the capppppppp!!! Dude)(but thats a good thing, and due to enemy stats , it made me get heart attack whenever sally/chase get attacked and lionel nevet gets much str at early chaps until i energy ringed
Eliwood confirmed

And good luck for walters nearly single digit res
And avas low hp/def
Prepromotes shines in mid chaps and the boss doesnt require a super powerful unit to beat up

So generally every units are good, except the flyers due to excessive ballistas and flyers being kinda bad in this hack(one wastes most of spd growth, another gets doubled everyday and one gets…inferior growths than everyone prepromote one didnt stand out much either)

Chapters:pretty nice, except anti turtlimg reimforcements still catches up on me without turtling (only lure and kill a few units at once)
But very hard for those who always gamble on rng

Plot:super good, no spoiler here so i just say my rankings here

1 Like

Updated the patch link to fix one minor bug. The thief in chapter 10 who was supposed to drop Restore wasn’t dropping it.

1 Like

Two minor edits made just now, and updated the patch link accordingly. In chapter 17, the snipers have all been slightly weakened, losing 4 levels and swapping their silver bows for steel bows, so they’re a bit easier to deal with. Also, I decided to give Patty +2 base strength.

1 Like

Hey! So I just made it to the reunion, and I figured it’s as good a time as any for a new post.

Well, I continue to be impressed by the map design! Tightly designed challenges, anti-turtling measures, good difficulty, no rout chapters… A couple of the maps felt rather overwhelming (namely 17 and 18), but that’s probably just me being bad. My regards for the most part.
I also like the unconventional promotions. Cavaliers getting bows, Yufin becoming Hooded Lyon with dark magic, Shelby going summoner, Ava getting staves… It’s all creative stuff, and I look forward to each promotion. This includes the lords, too. Walter is just Hector through and through, but the other two were really unexpected.
The “everyone gets prfs” gimmick continues to be really fun as well. I’m excited for every new unit, simply to see what kind of weapon they’ll be carrying!

As for the plot, that’s taken some really interesting directions. Also very solid, as of chapter 21. I’ll probably discuss it in more detail in another post when I finish the game, but for now

Spoilers ahead

The start was really solid, but I think it’s gotten even better in the midgame. Ladon is awesome, and Walt’s little romance with Ava was actually decently fun and not forced! Also, Walter finally learning that he’s kind of a dumbass by getting his ass handed to him was hilarious.

Lionel’s side of the story is more depressing (holy shit the poor dude has a huge inferiority complex…), but I liked seeing a side of Zachary that I wouldn’t have expected from what at a first glance looks like your average edgelord. Heck, I thought he was shady at first, but now I don’t think he’s bad. He’s definitely hiding things, but he’s not a bad guy, I think.

Also, OH GOD CHANCELLOR FOREHEAD IS DEFINITELY EVIL AND DEFINITELY HELPED RHINER AND DALTRY AND DEFINITELY TOOK THE ROYAL AXE AND THE ROYAL SPEAR AND WILL DEFINITELY MURDER SEBASTIAN AND THAT’S WHY HE’S NOT PLAYABLE DEFINITELY

…Ahem, I’m sorry. That’s my prediction for the future. I haven’t gotten there yet, of course, I’m only in chapter 21. But that’s what I expect to happen.

But that’s enough yapping away. Here are a few issues I found. Keep in mind, I’ve been updating the patch as I go, so I encountered some of these in prior patches. They have already been fixed. Bear with me if that’s the case.

• A few of the chapters are called “Ex. map” in the prepscreen. Chapters 11, 12, 13, 14 and 17 for sure, though I may’ve missed some others. It’s not too important, but yeah.
  • Chapter 16 has two untelegraphed ambush brigands to the south. Usually you do a good job of placing warnings for this sort of thing, so it was quite the unpleasant surprise when two tomahawks flew out of the fog and killed Harriet. Please, either make them not-ambush reinforcements or make Jeremy warn the team of their arrival (and, well, the fact that they’re ambush reinforcements).
  • The knight with a droppable key in chapter 17 heads for the treasury and opens the door with it. Doesn’t seem like that’s what he’s supposed to do.
  • The bolting sage right to the south of Ian in chapter 18 is a bit too much. Maybe it’s just me, but I found that he made it excessively difficult to move forward. I was able to sleep him after distracting him with phantoms, but without Shelby to lure him closer it’s rdifficult to deal with him and the endless wyverns at the same time.
    The western bolting sage is enough. Remove the middle one, is my suggestion.
  • In chapter 21, the escape point’s marker is completely covered by the unit standing on it. It’s pretty obvious where it is, but still, that’s a little annoying.
  • There’s a graphical issue I encountered when Regis got berserked in chapter 17.
Typos I found

Uppercase after a comma.

Technically right, but wouldn’t “with you at the helm, I know we’ll win today” work better, since he’s talking about the army at large?

Within our reach.

Shouldn’t that be “you came here”?

Viper is so scared shitless, he mispronounced His Eminence’s title.

It was no trouble at all.

Not sure if there’s something wrong here or it’s just me, but “at this sort of thing” sounds weird.

May not have gone anywhere.

That comma before the “silly” is unneeded.

Shouldn’t that go “we won’t allow another rebellion like this to happen!”, since they never bring up how the rebellion came to be?

That’s all from me for now. I’ll come back when I finish the game and share my thoughts on it as a whole. Until then, keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Thanks for catching the typos! And I’m glad you enjoyed the game and story so far!

• Yeah the Ex. Map is pretty whatever. Not really concerned with that.
  • Those brigands are from a pretty out of the way location, but I can just add some more red text.
  • I’ll have to figure out what AI to use so that guy won’t use that key. There is a similar dude in chapter 20 who guards a door and drops a key, but he’s got the stationary boss AI and doesn’t use it, but I don’t want this chapter 17 guy to be stationary. Hm…
  • I definitely don’t want to remove that guy in chapter 18. I’m gonna leave him there for now, but if he becomes a bigger problem with more players, I can make him stationary instead.
  • I’ll just edit the start event of chapter 21 to point out the escape tile.
  • Okay this graphical glitch is super bizarre and I don’t know why it happens. I have seen it before, and it seems to happen when a unit is holding a weapon that they cannot equip (in this case, Regis and his staves), but it only happens sometimes? It’s incredibly weird and I don’t know what to do about it. But it’s only a graphical glitch so I’m not too worried, at least.

Thanks for all the feedback! I hope you enjoy finishing the game!

1 Like

No ch17 is pretty late game and terry can easily deal with them
I mean about ch 10 to 15 enemies

isnt that silver lance open door guy just exist to make your life easier?

You are supposed to use jeremy/zoe to silence him, (every staff have 100 hit lol)

bruh the yeety nobles event didnt come to me, (Askia probaly end up better without them)

btw that dude got hit by the 60 mt light magic from (fake) boss didn’t die lol he got married (probaly) after you defeat final boss

1 Like

Got another update today, this time concerning endgame. I slightly edited the layout of it to prevent cheesy 1 turns. Also, I decided to give Regis C light. Why? Because I have a dark/anima class (Druid) and a light/dark class (Warlock), but no anima/light class, so I clearly had to fix this! Also Aura Regis just sounds cool.
EDIT: And another quick update, giving Harriet C axes and Sarah C bows. Didn’t want any prepromotes with D ranks.

1 Like

We dont have warp staff so cant one turn probably (rescue will make them lose their turn )
No anima light?
Sally:…
Welp as if I’d let the prepromotes use killer weapons and get all the xp

1 Like

Are the green units in c 17 supposed to die cause the bishop casts berserker on the sniper n they kill each other.

1 Like

That bishop shouldn’t have enough ranged to reach the green units with berserk… Ah, wait, he must’ve moved to berserk one of your units first, and then berserked the green units. I’ll make that guy stationary instead.
EDIT: And updated the patch link to fix this, as well as some other bugs and typos. Most importantly, Levin Claude graciously did another portrait, this time a new one for Feran!

7 Likes

R.I.P. Feran’s forehead.

Jokes aside, was he always meant to look this young? With his old portrait I always imagined he was closer to his 40s. But now he seems to be in his early 20s.

Yeah, odd choice for the chancellor of a country, but I thought him looking young would fit his kinda goofy and absentminded nature.

1 Like

Updated the patch link with an important bug fix: the vanilla FE8 epilogue events with L’Arachel and Innes and stuff all saying goodbye is gone! These were actually softlocking the game before, but 7743 helped me find the event and get rid of it.

1 Like

All right, so I finished Four Kings yesterday. I will leave here a “review” kind of post. It’s really long, so please, forgive me.

GAMEPLAY

This game is awesome. Almost every map was tightly designed, with interesting and creative challenges for the player to overcome and anti-turtling measures to keep them on their toes. One thing I quite enjoyed is that, throughout the midgame, you get to deploy the entire cast. This, together with the “everyone gets prfs” gimmick, gives everyone some time to shine before they’re inevitably benched.

This game encourages moving fast and getting stuff done more than most other FE games and fangames I’ve seen. You don’t need to be a LTC pro to beat this (I’m far from one), but you definitely can’t afford to rest on your laurels, with all the OP reinforcements coming to bite you in the butt, reminiscent of the Astram squad from FE12.
Not that you’ve any reason to be slow. With multiple “preparations” chapters, supports that build at mach 10, reinforcements that yield no experience and no routing maps (thank you for that, by the way, rout sucks), there’s really nothing to wait for. And that’s much appreciated. The fast pace this game has going is great.

Difficulty-wise, this game is tough. Enemy equipment is always top notch, and enemy quality is excellent… However, there’s a catch: most enemies are slow, and they’re usually squishy enough that they won’t be able to tank a million hits. I like it, it’s the same design philosophy as FE12. High difficulty, but fair for the most part. A couple of ambush reinforcements here and there, but they’re usually telegraphed well.

All in all, really, really good. I had a great time with this one, and with how unique everyone is, thanks to their personal weapons and what not, I’ll definitely consider replaying it.

STORY

MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW, EXERCISE CAUTION

Wow, that went… in several directions that I was not expecting in the least.

At first the story seemed like a tale of two brothers setting aside their differences in the midst of a war… and, well, that was part of it, but that eventually it took a backseat to the villain behind it all, his motivations and the people around him. The entire war happened because one dude was so obsessed with his liege that he’d spend centuries planning the absolute conquest of the entire continent.
And he would’ve gotten away with it, too, if his own beloved king hadn’t shot him down after his imperfect revival. Feran’s plan was foolproof… Except for the fact that he wasn’t interested in taking the world for himself, but rather wanted to hand it over to Teodros. That was his one mistake, and the one that cost him his life. It was a unique plot, and I quite like it.

For the main cast, I liked them all, more or less. Starting with Lionel, I thought he’d eventually get out of his rut and become an ideal Marth-styled prince and successor to Terril or something like that. I would never have expected him to instead fully embrace the fact that he’s not as important as his brothers and become a wandering swordsman with a drunkard and a pirate. For what initially seemed like your standard serious sword lord, that was some really unique development. Cheers for that. Oh, and I like how you used the waystones that seemed like they were nothing more than an excuse for the shared convoy in Lionel’s conclusion. It was a really cool detail.

Terril was another character I really liked. I wasn’t expecting the king to get some development on the side. Ava was cool. All the plottwists with her were interesting, and her romance with Walter, while rather standard, was well done. Walter… I’ll admit, he was so stupid at the beginning that I found it difficult to root for him (the scene where he drives Lionel to tears while risking both their lives was particularly difficult to sit through), but he got better.

But for me, the main highlight of the main cast is Zachary. Wow. I’ve never been fond of edgelords, and initially I thought Zach would either be a traitor or your average assassin who happens to know everything but won’t say because he’s too edgy to trust others.
Instead, he turns out to be the immortal brother of the main antagonist and best friend to the legendary King Teodros. And the best part is, this is reflected in the gameplay. Feran’s magic seal is the reason why he gets one-shot by every mage in the game. When he dies, he says “finally”. I love all that foreshadowing. It’s always great when games do this kind of thing. I do think his promotion could stand to be improved a bit (20s in everything is what Terril had 5 chapters ago), but still. I absolutely love what you did with Zach.

Aside from the main cast, you’ve got an interesting and diverse cast of characters. I like how many, uh… dubiously moral, shall we say, people there are in the cast. Yufin and Sarah are borderline insane, Terry’s a pirate (and not your usual “actually kind-hearted rogue” kind), Regis is a drunken asshole, Dorian is… also a drunken asshole, Ron’s a fraud…
And then, my favorite: Gideon, a manipulative piece of trash who was effectively behind the oppression of the Askian people (and thus caused Daltry’s revolt), and yet he joins because he bamboozles Lionel into thinking he’s actually good. The only reason he’s playable is that he wants to curry favor with the good guys so he has an easier time doing his criminal activies. I love it. His ending caught me completely off guard, too.

I’d also like to acknowledge your efforts to add inclusivity to the game. Ian and Locritus’s tragic relationship, the hilarious paired ending between Jack and Nicole, Harriet’s support with Candace… They were cool little details. My regards for that.

Overall, good stuff.

VISUALS

The new spells look surprisingly nice. I’ve heard the horror stories of how hard it is to add new spells to GBAFE, so kudos for that.
Portrait art is all right. Some are quite nice, actually (the main cast, for instance), while some could use some improvements (a few characters have wonky coloring and shading), but overall, they were good enough that I never found myself thinking “wow, this dude is hideous”. Well… Viper was pretty ugly, admittedly. But I think it suits him.
As for the battle animations and palettes, most of them are good and work well.

MUSIC

Love it. You have good taste, my friend. The ports are all top notch. The worst of them (not that it’s “bad”, it’s just a bit worse than the rest) is the one for Ancient Oath, from Berwick Saga, but I was too busy having a fangasm due to hearing Berwick music over all the epicness of that scene to notice. Every other tune feels like it could’ve been in the original game, so that’s great. Mostly picking music from other GBA games was a good call.

And now, please bear with me: I will say a few words about the entire cast. SPOILERS HERE AS WELL, BEWARE

I’ll also share the stats of the units of my final team.

Lionel: Honestly, I thought he was better than Walter. At first he was weaker, but as he started to get magical swords, he gained a brand of utility that Slowpoke Walter couldn’t hope to match. He was invincible with a runesword. And then he promoted and became a legit swordmaster with 30 crit. He critted literally everything with the Cordatus. Not the promotion I would’ve expected from him, but boy was it fun.

Walter: He’s Hector. Stronk, sturdy, and so slow that he couldn’t even double generals at times. Then he gets bows upon promotion, as well as… more strength and bulk. Yawn. Both storywise and gameplaywise, my least favorite protagonist.

Zachary: Ahahahahahah! This guy. Could you believe he’s both the Jeigan and the Gotoh? Yeah! As a Jeigan… honestly, he could be better. He’s good for the first few maps, but his low bulk and horrendous resistance catches up to him extremely fast. However, thanks to thief utility and his only competition for that being another “lord”, he’s useful throughout the entire game. And then the final map comes and he becomes a magical nuke. Kinda wish we had gotten to play around with his spellsword form more, but it would’ve been tough to make it work in the story.

Shaun: You know, when I first saw this guy, I thought everyone in this game’d have TearRing Saga growths. That obviously turned out to be false, but… Holy shit, this guy’s… this guy’s awful! He’s terrible! No strength, merely passable speed, the worst personal in the entire game… Goodness! Only thing he did after chapter, like, 4 was sacrificing himself to save Dorian when I made multiple mistakes in Ian’s map. Can’t say I ever missed him.

Bradley: He’s in a similar position, with godawful speed instead of strength, but the Saurion singlehandedly carried him through half the game. 1-3 range is never not useful, so he saw some use when he was free to deploy.

Chase: At first I had no idea what his deal was. He’s a mage with a bad prf tome and worse than Sally as soon as she gets out of her trainee phase. Then I discovered he promotes to mage knight. And that he has like 80 crit when you give him all his supports. I never got that much use out of him (I trained him late into Walter’s arc, but then I had to bench him due to lack of space), but he’s fine, really.

Shelby: Probably my favorite unit in the entire game. The utility this guy brings to the table is absurd. He tanks like nobody else with Munio (by the way, love the TLP callback - even the animation is the same), then he promotes to distract critical enemies by throwing summons at 'em, or even do some regular tanking on the side (his defenses are seriously ridiculous). His offensive stats are mediocre, but I mean, if they weren’t he’d be the most broken unit in the game. 'Sides, I think I got a rather blessed Shelby anyway.

Yufin: The complete opposite of Shelby. Instead of utility, he brings raw stats to the table. He was a bit unreliable before promotion, but then he got there and became Hooded Lyon with 3 AS loss nosferatanking. Long as he had a nosferatu tome and Shelby nearby to support him, he was invincible. He was also so fast that he could double and one-round Rhiner with the purge. That was absolutely hilarious.

Lydia: Staffbot/10. Sleep saved me a bunch of times. Then I benched her because sleep was almost broken and I had other people who could do the same as her but with speed.

Ava: Archer thief that gets staves on promotion? Dude, you want to match’s TLP’s “light mage dancer lord that gets staves and renewal” goodness? Well, I ain’t the one that’s about to complain about it, that’s for sure! Always on the brittle side (had to feed her a robe so she’d stop getting one-shot by everything), but she was useful. Kinda like a more combat-oriented Zach with worse bulk.

Max: Very good. Much appreciated bulk in a team made up of squishies, Slowpoke Walter and Shelby. The uncounterable Claymore was great, too. He became a bit worse at the end, but he was a reliable one throughout the entire game.

Sally: This girl’s portrait is hilarious. Aside from that, she’s like Ewan if he joined instead of Ross. Great magic, a bit on the slow side, and joins early enough that she’s pretty painless to train. A fun little mage.

Marcie: Earlygame peggie/10. I know the pros love these ones to death. I… never saw the appeal, myself. Sure, flier utility, but… bleh. So fragile, so weak… Never used her.

Dorian: Bard/10. He barded. I have to say, giving him godly defenses instead of godly speed actually made him worse than the official dancers, because with the equipment enemies rocked, he constantly got one-rounded on account of his poor HP.

Zoe: A healer on hooves with hammerne as her personal. She was okay, but I eventually benched her… Only to drag her along at the end because of all her plot importance. Mostly a staffbot, never got much use out of her sword.

Vin: I don’t like edgelords, like I said. But I’ll admit, I enjoy how the whole deal of this game’s designated Navarre is that he’s good to be thrown at the enemy and not much else. Good as bait as long as he was forcefully deployed.

Cielo: 4 range bow is great, and the guy’s stats were solid too. Could’ve been on my team, sadly I lost him in chapter 10 and I didn’t have the heart to reset. Again. Sorry, Skyman. Perhaps I’ll use you next time.

Victor: A fighter that favors speed and stole Osian’s personal. Not bad, but I didn’t use him for long.

Ron: I thought he’d be solid, but… Holy shit, this guy’s performance as a unit is true to his character. He can’t hit anything to save his life, so I gave up on him eventually. Buyable secret books would probably help his case, though.

Locritus: The ultimate utility fighter. He destroyed fliers, and died horribly against everything else. Useful, but eventually replaceable. Also, it took me until I read his support with Lydia halfway through the game to get the reference with their names. Clever.

Colt: Probably the best unpromoted cavalier in the game. He trades the original two’s availability for actual growths and bases. I gave him the first Metis Tome to see if I could make something out of him. He was never my best unit, but he did his job. Also, he and Hoff are a dig at boring knight characters and I love it.

Hoff: Filler for the midgame. Longbow axe was fun. But then his mediocre bases caught up to him, and he left the team.

Cindy: Bow armor? As a bad unit connoisseur (is that too pretentious? Yeah, it is, isn’t it…), as soon as I saw her, I knew I had to use her. She did not disappoint, though seeing her growths, I think my Cindy was just blessed.

Regis: So sending him with Lionel was supposed to be a bad thing? Joke’s on you, Walter, Regis is great! Basically Pent except actually balanced. His personal tome is awesome, too. What’s not to love about a siege tome with double the uses and increased range? Could’ve used him the entire game, no problem.

Wilson: Rule nº 1 to making archers good: Give them godly stats. This guy murdered everything with the Gatling Bow, but he could not frontline at all. Fun. Shame I couldn’t find any permanent support partners for him.

Harriet: Solid heroine that destroyed axe users of all kinds. Not tanky enough to justify permanent deployment, but she was good in the midgame.

Patty: Hoo, boy… I like the concept, but tanky pegasus doesn’t really work when her cap is as low as it is. The Shieldspear carried her hard, but as a combat unit, she was never more than merely passable. She could’ve used the buff she got later, but by then I had already recruited her, so she missed out on the +2 strength. Eventually became Emily’s supportbot.

Candace: A swordmaster that relies on buffing those around her with her sword? That’s… unique, but I dig it! I didn’t deploy her past the midgame, sadly. I missed those bonuses so much, and she was a veritable nuke with the shamshir.

Jack: Not bad, solid stats and a prf that can’t miss is really good. Had endgame potential, but I had other units I liked better. Also, that one ending is amazing.

Jeremy: So he’s a blond genius that isn’t great at fighting and wears pink, and his name is Jeremy… Hmm, probably nothing. Anyway, worse Regis a few chapters later, worse Gideon a few chapters earlier. He can’t fight, period. His only saving grace is that he has A staves. I never got any use out of rewarp, and the other healers could fortify just fine, so as much as I wanted to use him, I couldn’t justify his presence in any way.

Sarah: More solid than her husband, but still really mediocre. Though her strength is low, her prf compensates for that. Really, her biggest flaw is her poor bulk. She dies in two hits to everything, and later on that’s terrible, since everything starts using brave lances. I’ll be honest with you here: I used her all the way to the end, but only because I liked her design. She was kind of a liability at the end, but… Aaagh, I like her! And her prf is a Berwick Saga lance, that’s awesome!

Alicia: Great sage. Loved the detail that her prf is exactly the same as the Claymore, but light magic. Could’ve been very useful, but I already had Sally.

Elias: Same deal as Alicia. Would’ve been a great sniper, but I had Wilson. Still, in another run I’ve got to try fielding the entire family at once in an epic support square.

Nicole:

Really wish I had the deployment slots for her, because she’s a really fun character. Also, personal rescue.

Gideon: I love this guy. He’s a literal criminal mastermind that’s playable, and he’s a good unit to boot! The Nocturne destroyed everything in his path, and although he died if anything looked at him funny, he never needed to put himself in harm’s way. He was also a very good healer, reached B staves fast and his high magic allowed him to do some sick patching up.

Also, he dies at the end. I just wanted to say that again, because… Whoa. I wasn’t expecting such a deadpan ending for him. He just… He just goes back to his criminal empire, gets discovered and dies. Lovely.

Luceil: Solid prepromote. Her weapon’s nice. She marries Sebastian. I wish I had more to say about her, she’s a cool character, but as unit she’s your average prepromote pegasus.

Emily:

I love this girl.

Terril: Late joining lord? Huh, interesting! His stats are extremely balanced. I mean, they’re all the same! His spear was a decent substitute for Candace’s Fleuret, and he was a fine combatant. He just didn’t stand out all that much. A jack-of-all-trades, this one.

Marvin: A damn fine berserker. I wanted to use him, but then Zoe became critical to the plot and I had to carry her around, so I couldn’t. Maybe next time.

CONCLUSION

Wonderful map design, tough challenges, a great cast of unique characters, an interesting story and balling music? What’s not to love? Replayability is high, too, since every unit is made unique by their interesting prf weapons and often creative promotions. This gets my most heartfelt recommendation.

Final batch of issues
  • This one’s probably known, but the promoted portraits only work in cutscenes and in the statscreens. Death quotes, escape quotes and levels still utilize the old portraits.

• For some reason, the chest with the Vulcan becomes a solid wall tile when opened. Never saw it anywhere else, it’s just this one.

• The Mina’s Staff effect has a weird description. Probably not worth fixing, but still, I’ll report it.

• It seems units with capped magic can still get magic from level ups. Must be a problem with the str/mag split’s programming. The stat instantly resets to the capped value, though, so this doesn’t affect the gameplay in any way. It’s just a weird thing.

• Shelby can summon things inside Dante’s Kishuna area.

• There’s an odd enemy range at Lionel’s starting tile in chapter 28.

• This one bishop with fortify in chapter 28 got a level from using the staff. Probably happens with other enemies using fortify too, but this is the first time I ever saw it myself. And here’s the strangest thing: the level up graphic was mirrored. Pretty funny glitch.

• SPOILERS doesn’t have a staff animation. Instead, he uses the standard sage animation, but slightly glitched.

• I know you said before that you don’t care about the support screen (understandably so), but still, for the heck of it, let me share this.
    So… A few versions after I reported the duplicate Sarah thing, this appeared. Trying to read its supports causes the game to start screaming in agony. Only way to stop it is to reset. Weird.

• Thoughout the game, the new spells are sometimes slightly misaligned. I’ve noticed it tends to happen when the target is on the left side of the screen. It’s not too important, but like with the rest of these, I figured I’d let you know.

Typos

Not exactly a typo, but he seems to be unsure that Terril will forgive them, so why does he start with “you got that right”?

Maybe change “give them less work for when they arrive” to “leave them less work for when they arrive”.

A bit of a weird sentence. Maybe it’s fine, but I’d say changing it to something like “Zachary must have a good reason to feel this way” would sound better.

The game consistently uses the “adviser” spelling for this word, except here.

Why is Romulus talking about a child as if it was an animal? If he’s supposed to not know the kid’s gender, I think you should change “it” to “they”.

I get what you meant, but it’s weirdly phrased. Perhaps change it to something along the lines of “so they don’t send much to us”

The rest is peasant speech, obviously, but “of” seems like a legit misspelling.

Missing apostrophe in “show’s”.

One network, therefore “is”

And with that, I say bye. I’ll be looking forward to those trial maps! I already have a couple of guesses as to what they could be. Until then, though, the main campaign is perfectly good, and definitely worthy of a replay or two. My regards to you, and please keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Wow, this is all incredibly high praise! I’m glad you enjoyed the game so much! For the bugs and stuff, I’m not super worried since most of these don’t actually impact gameplay (except for that chest, I swear tile changes will be the death of me). That lost child on the support screen has showed up before and I don’t really know how to get rid of him, but again, it’s the support screen. I also don’t really know how to do the promoted portraits on those things either, but I’m not too worried. Typos are all fixed now, so thanks for catching those!

By the way, if you want a sneak peak at the trial maps, I already have the concepts for all of them right now.

Trial Map concepts

1.) Play as Terril, Colt, and Hoff as they must escape Castle Askia when Daltry and his rebels show up. Gideon will also be helping Terril from the shadows.
2.) Similarly, play as Ian, Jack, and their soldiers to defend the Behanzin capital from Rhiner’s forces until King Ladon appears.
3.) Harriet and her merchant group are out for revenge against Terry’s pirates who raided one of their ships, and it brings them to a pirate cove. Terry is nowhere to be found (though a blacked out Regis fumbled his way here), but there are still lots of pirates for Harriet to take out her anger on. This was actually a scrapped map concept from the main story, and it would’ve been the first map of Lionel’s route!
4.) Terry and his crew go treasure hunting off the southern coast of Behanzin, only to stumble upon a spooky island full of Constructs! With Wilson’s help, they all have to escape the island. This was also a scrapped map concept from the main story, and it would’ve been the second map of Walter’s route.
5.) With Max and Sally out on a job, it’s up to Alicia and Elias to defend their hometown from rebels trying to steal from their neighbors in the name of the rebellion.
6.) While Walter, Ava, and Jack travel through the Lupus Mountains in chapter 18, Ladon takes his men through the vast desert and must face an unprepared rebel battalion guarding the eastern front.

I’m not quite sure when I’ll actually get to making these trial maps, likely sometime by the end of the summer when I’m in the mood to hack again. So stay tuned!

Oh, and the main post patch link is updated to fix these typos and that tile change (also the Shieldlance now hits res, so maybe it’ll be better about killing armors).

2 Likes

Hey, i’m new here, just finished your hack and felt like finally registering to express my opinions and gratitude for your work, but also ask a question. I had a great time playing it, thank you very much.

I finished the game on chapter 28, and i have a doubt:

Summary

is chapter 28 when you have to hunt Teodros down really the final endgame chapter, or there’s a secret chapter/ending that i missed?

I really loved the personal weapons for each character, it was a great idea and it gave everyone a much greater relevance, same with the split route where you end up using all units and it’s justified, really cool.

As for the story, i’m usually very overly critical of all the hacks i play in terms of story… at first i was a bit resistant on the main characters, cause they felt so unlikable, and i dreaded that i would have to play as them, but eventually i grew to understand the point of it all and I think the whole sibling rivalry thing was a nice premise, although some of the dialogue wasn’t my kinda of flavor in some instances. Part of me wants to say more, but I dont think it i would do any good, mostly i think is more subjective, and i’m no specialist in story telling to judge or give takes on it, overall, it was a nice story with some very neat looking units.

thank you again for this hack.

1 Like

Hey, I’m glad you enjoyed the game! And yeah, Walter and Lionel are absolute dickheads at the start of the story. But watching them grow and learn “wow, we were dickheads” over the course of the story is fun.
As for your doubt:

Chapter 28

Chapter 28 is the final chapter, you didn’t miss anything. It is sorta odd for a final map, being a regular city map rather than some giant altar or temple or something, but that’s part of what makes it unique!

2 Likes

Hey, so you know those trial maps? I started making them! The main patch link has been updated, and it now includes the first trial map, focusing on Terril as he escapes from Castle Askia!

To access the trial maps, you will have to beat endgame again. Now, instead of being taken to the epilogue, you will instead be taken to a trial map hub area. Within this hub, you can select a trial map by talking to a green unit. Note that currently, you can only select Terril’s trial map. Also, if you happened to save over endgame, you can use this save state to access the trial map hub area. Enjoy, and look forward to the 6 other trial maps that’ll come out in the near future!

2 Likes