[FE8] Fire Emblem: Swords and Peace [WIP][33 chapters]

The translation is wrong. Just because people used something at some point it doesn’t mean that that something is the right thing.

I am not magically being “oh but this word means something else” when not only it does mean something else, but it also got changed within versions and within games. If the translation wasn’t wrong, any other Prf of such caliber in modern games would have the same wording.

No other game refers to Cavalry and Armors as infantry beyond the GBA era. Not even the Japanese games refer to both as ‘Infantry’ as a whole.

The translation is wrong and therefore it should be ammended, as it does not do as established. It isn’t effective against infantry. The original text in Japanese reads ‘Effective against Cavalry and Heavy Infantry’. From there to just Infantry there is a stretch.

No matter how you are going to look at it, it still does not change the fact that it was used and not particularly by accident either (or else they wouldn’t have done it on multiple weapons) which just means anyone who keeps the Infantry text isn’t completely wrong and they are free to use the text if they want. Those who think it’s dumb or mistranslated are free to fix that or clarify more.

I wasn’t trying to say that ‘effective against Infantry’ is the right description for said weapons, only that people are free to use that description if they want because it’s still a terminology that got used, no matter how misleading it may be.

1: They mistranslated the Fe7 batch of weapons.
2: They ported the items’ translation to the Fe8 one (noticeable by the fact that text for the unused Mani Katti is also in there).
3: The Reginleif itself as a new item was translated correctly despite having the same effects as the Rapier/Mani Katti/Wolf Beil.
4: Furthermore, the European version of Fe8 fixes this description error.

5: You imply that something is right merely by the fact that it was done as such beforehand, ignoring the possibility of mistakes being made. That is a fallacious statement, as by that train of thought, if something has been done once, then it must be right, disregarding the fact that it can be wrong.

This is not the first time mistranslations happen with official material, or issues raise from them, such as Fe7’s Dragon Axe/Wind Blade description breaching the screen.

This is a Fe8 localization mistake, which has been fixed on other weapons in the same game and in later localizations.

They are.

I am clarifying.

Yet not only you argued that it wasn’t a mistake, but you also opened up with saying that it being wrong/a mistake was the mistake.

If it isn’t right, then it’s wrong, but you’ve pushed the argument about it not being wrong.

1 Like

enough, move on

I don’t know where you got that clarifying why a description saying something equates to me trying to say that the description currently was right, only that other games have that description so it wasn’t exactly wrong either and that was all my original intention was. Not everything is just black and white and anything that I might have said that made it seem like I was saying otherwise was not my intention.

So now please stop focusing on disproving something I wasn’t trying to prove other than why the description was what it was through what I heard. This will be my last reply on the matter.

I would like to mention something about this hack that gets quite overwhelming in some specific chapters - peaking at Chapter 13 itself:

Reinforcements.

Swords for Peace (319)
Swords for Peace (178)
Swords for Peace (66)

Some of these chapters get heavily overbearing rather quickly, and while you have some tools to hold out in some of them, such as healers or good retreating opportunities, you often get swarmed in these.

In Chapter 6, the Pegasus force towards the top pincers your units, forcing you to retreat due to the overwhelming force of the enemy troops, while Chapter 10’s large mass of reinforcements, although forcing you to hug the village, is more feasible to hold out against, even though if it were a couple turns longer, such hold out would be rather unachievable, and Chapter 12’s very early reinforcements put the left flank on a very delicate situation, as by then you haven’t had the time to even move to take down the left gate before the shamans and cavaliers/pegasi start harassing your flank. While a massive hindrance, you do have units that can somewhat handle them, or at least make use of weapon triangle to stall such forces until you can take down the boss and seize. Compared to the Knight+Archer reinforcement, the monk/shaman and mounted reinforcements that show up by turn 4 are nothing to write home about, considering they can be chokepointed on their narrow corridors and be entirely neglected.

But Chapter 13 is another beast of its making.
It is one of those situations where I would honestly kill to have a Pure Water, as the left flank heavily drowns you with Magic Bows and mages, which will entirely crush any knights (any but chad Ogni) that are trying to hold out there. With the very low natural accuracy of Spears and the averagely low skill of the Knights, such enemies spawn multiples more than they can be handled, and attempting to hold points whilst also making sure your king thief manages to secure the chests is a scarring experience.

This left flank becomes paste quickly, and many of these knights are ill-prepared against most of the enemies, such as fighters, archers with Perfectionist, and magic archers that heal at each passing turn. Comparing this to the right flank, that beyond the initial monks and mages that leave a dent (and kill Lily) at the very start, is then somewhat easily handled, as the early shamans can be taken down without much inconvenience and the soldiers and knights are apt enemies for your own - with the later line of bottom reinforcements being able to be somewhat ignored by falling back - somewhat possible by them being late reinforcements that are formed by pegasi and cavaliers with lances, which are well-held by Ogni, and fighters, who hopefully you don’t have to end up facing.

In short: The reinforcements on Chapter 13 (and to a lesser extent on other chapters) get very overwhelming, but unlike in the others, you hardly have good tools to hold out against this charge. While the possibility of being able to get Pure Waters, or have some of the knights potentially wield extra weapons, either seeking more accuracy (so enemy Archers lose Perfectionist to be able to reliably hit on player phase as the average hit rate is high 40~ for Knights) or carrying an axereaver, some of these knights would be able to hold out better or longer during this chapter, as a retreat is difficult both to their low movement and the extra range of the attackers.

Also updated the Anomaly list for information and issues upon later chapters.

2 Likes

I’m loving the game so far, good to see really good axe users (Roish) but the AI for 5x is just, i dunno, dumb? How are we supposed to save them if they run head-on into the enemy and with Pegasus Riders just a turn away? Seems like an oversight for me when the objective was to not let ANY of them die.

Glad you’re enjoying it!
There’s four very stupid green units that move, and you have five units that can rescue them. The Millia side of the chapter is designed around balancing the amount of green units you have to rescue, along with defeating the horde of pegasus knights, getting to Zara and Dwougin’s aid, and protecting Alder from the attacking units at the bottom. It can be tricky, but I generally find the Esdin half of the map harder. The pegasi have pretty bad stats, so even while rescuing Roish, Scord, and Perseus can handle them pretty well.

Then it’s prolly just me, I have this weird avoidance to rescuing units, like I try to avoid the rescue option as much as possible. I don’t even know why :sweat_smile:

just thought I would share my headcanons for which class each character promotes to and why :slight_smile:

Spoilers

Rei - Great King - why the heck not it’s funny
Merri - Sniper - doesn’t really fit with a horse + higher bow rank
Gallae - Malig Knight - only playable Malig in the game
Felicity - Assassin - it just fits + Clara/Kevin would be too many SMs
Kagney - Executioner - only playable Executioner
Scord - Warrior - fits better + Hero Perseus
Roish - Berserker - magic stat where
Perseus - Hero - Millia route already has a Ranger in Orion
Zara - General - story spoiler
Dwougin - True Knight - Zara’s already a General
Varris - Rogue - only playable Rogue
Dania - True Knight - Esdin route has Winston as GK
Octavia - Hunter - kid named hunting bow
Sienna - Griffon Knight - only Griffon + falco is covered by Xena
Laurel - Paladin - just fits tbh
Tristen - GK - weapon ranks :pray:
Yllecia - Valkyrie - only playable Valk
Raider - Berserker - his name is literally Raider
Uzziah - War Monk - strength stat :pray:
Clara - Swordmaster - idk just fits better than Hero
Uta - Sage - where strength
Izzy - Sky Hunter - fits well
Pluto - Bishop - would have Saged him but Lucky exists
Thalia - Adventurer - why the heck not + decent strength

PS. hack looks promising chief :slight_smile: looking forward to updates

Octavia when she loses prf access on Sky Hunter

Kid named tier 3:

Really liked playing though this! I quite enjoyed the characters and conversations. Overall, enjoyed the gameplay. I will agree with some of the comments above - some maps can get overwhelming pretty quickly. Reinforcements that pincer your units can get a little frustrating. I think something to help lessen the impact in 6 and 13 would be useful. Also, could a sniper promo potentially get extra range to help deal with some of the super long range archers?

just a quick question:

Route split

Which lord’s party fights in Chapter 23/24? I know it has to do with where Gallae is, but I kinda want that Felicity event in Ch24 so I’m wondering which party Gallae is supposed to join for that to happen (maybe Millia bc Blanche is in Ch23 for Gallae to recruit, giving Esdin Chapter 24?)

And I assume Clara joins on the route Gallae isn’t? (I’m on 10x rn so idk what to decide)

I go into much greater details under the tab, but you should go north with Gallae if you want that Felicity event.

Route split

I’ll just detail how it all works.

On chapter 10X, you can choose for Gallae to head north to Millia, or south to Esdin. She will permanently join the party of who you choose. You will also go to the chapter 11 of that route, so if you go to Esdin, you will play chapter 11-E, then go to chapter 11-M, and if you choose Millia, you’ll go to chapter 11-M then 11-E. The story will slightly change to reflect this. The route you don’t choose gets access to Clara instead.

In chapter 12, the party with Gallae will show up on turn 1, while the party with Clara will show up on turn 3, with small story changes and different talk conversations.

For chapters 13-22, not much changes except some talks are locked to one rout, but even then not a lot. They also get different supports on each route, with Gallae getting Anselle and Winston, or Tristen and Zara, and Clara getting Anselle and Raider, or Tristen and Willow.

For chapter 23/24 the party with Gallae will be present for chapter 23, while the party with Clara will be present for chapter 24, with some story changes. There are also hidden events specific to each party, with chapter 23 having an event for Pluto or Orion (though the reward is the same), and chapter 24 having two events for Felicity or Kevin (one of the rewards is the skill swordfaire if you get their boss conversation, so only the one in Clara’s group gets it). The Gallae group will have Blanche permanently join with them, and the Clara group will have Xena permanently join with them. Also, since Thalia is part of Esdin’s party, she’ll join in 23 if Gallae is with Esdin, or 24 if Clara is with Esdin.

For chapter 25, the party with Clara/Xena from chapter 24 will show up on turn 1, while the party with Gallae/Blanche from chapter 23 will show up on turn 2, with slight story changes.

1 Like

Fully updated the bug report list now that I’ve reached Chapter 25, featuring the funniest Counter bug ever.

Swords for Peace (645)
Swords for Peace (646)

Narratively, for the game, Merri is now dead.
Swords for Peace (662)

Here is the following cutscene of Rei grieving Merri to Esdin.

Swords for Peace (663)

And here is Merri still being alive regardless. Additionally, her dying after her death quote has popped up in this manner makes her die quietly.

3 Likes